Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Saoshyant posted:

My only Windows 10 PC updated itself a week ago (or so) and, since then, search on the Start Menu just doesn't work. I basically opened programs by hitting the Windows key, typing the first or two letters of something and hitting Enter, and that workflow now just doesn't work anymore and it's incredibly frustrating. No reason that I can see for this change either, and no setting I can find that would get it back apparently. What the gently caress.

Anyone knows how to sort this? Is anyone else even experiencing it or it's just my luck of the draw that it would happen to me specifically? I don't want to place a million shortcuts on the desktop as a way to get around this change. Or bug or whatever.

Whatever they did to the Start menu code after Windows 7 is ridiculous. I never had it fail to open before Windows 8 and after, now it happens occasionally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
The taskbar & start menu are UWP apps now. They just fail sometimes. :lmao:

A thing you can try is to open powershell in admin mode (win10 you can get that with right click menu on start button) and run this command:

Get-AppxPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

This will re-register all the appx and maybe fix things. You can also attempt to use the windows store troubleshooter in settings. But my experience has been that when appx shits itself the thing that works best was to update my win10 installer USB stick and then run the installer with "in-place upgrade" mode. This should leave all your programs, settings, and user data untouched so it's much more convenient than a reset.

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020
Is it worth $100 to upgrade to Pro just for BitLocker? It doesn't have any other features I see myself using.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

NotNut posted:

Is it worth $100 to upgrade to Pro just for BitLocker? It doesn't have any other features I see myself using.

$100? Hell no.

$20? Then it's worth it, right from our own Goon seller

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
There are free encryption tools for windows like VeraCrypt, or a windows version of gocryptfs (a linux encrypted FS). Bitlocker is very convenient on a drive you're gonna use all the time, but if you just want to encrypt an external drive or a few particular things, you don't really need it.

IMO the thing that's super worth $20 for Pro is the Group Policy editor.

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020

Thanks.

Klyith posted:

There are free encryption tools for windows like VeraCrypt, or a windows version of gocryptfs (a linux encrypted FS). Bitlocker is very convenient on a drive you're gonna use all the time, but if you just want to encrypt an external drive or a few particular things, you don't really need it.

IMO the thing that's super worth $20 for Pro is the Group Policy editor.

What does that do?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Klyith posted:

The taskbar & start menu are UWP apps now. They just fail sometimes. :lmao:

A thing you can try is to open powershell in admin mode (win10 you can get that with right click menu on start button) and run this command:

Get-AppxPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

This will re-register all the appx and maybe fix things. You can also attempt to use the windows store troubleshooter in settings. But my experience has been that when appx shits itself the thing that works best was to update my win10 installer USB stick and then run the installer with "in-place upgrade" mode. This should leave all your programs, settings, and user data untouched so it's much more convenient than a reset.

Appreciated. That PS command didn't seem to fix the issue. I remember back in Windows 8 there was something called Classic Shell that made the thing usable and went to look if it still existed (and if it worked on Win10). It's now been forked into something called Open Shell, which I just installed and finally can reach applications with just some light keyboard touch again.

How is this POS operating system 8 years old now and still such a mess?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Rexxed posted:

You can make a bootable USB flash drive with this software to clear out standard passwords:
http://www.lazesoft.com/forgot-windows-admin-password-recovery-freeware.html
There's a bunch of this kind of software that kind of all does the same thing, makes a bootable environment that can change stuff on the windows disk, but this is convenient. The free version has the password reset option.

Thank you for this recommendation I found using search. I used this to create an ISO and Rufus to create a UEFI bootable USB from the ISO. I had tried a couple others like ntpasswd but just couldn't get them to boot with a Surface (even with Secure Boot disabled). Fortunately the device doesn't seem to have Bitlocker on by default!

ihafarm
Aug 12, 2004

Saoshyant posted:

Appreciated. That PS command didn't seem to fix the issue. I remember back in Windows 8 there was something called Classic Shell that made the thing usable and went to look if it still existed (and if it worked on Win10). It's now been forked into something called Open Shell, which I just installed and finally can reach applications with just some light keyboard touch again.

How is this POS operating system 8 years old now and still such a mess?

You’d need to use task manager to kill the relevant app(s) prior to running that command. Best to kill explorer, too.

Slam Pajamas
May 21, 2007
ALL TEXT TITLE ALL-STARS
I've just finished piecing a computer together and now I'm installing Windows 11 home edition, I'm going to try to buy a key from a goon shortly but I jumped the gun and began the installation process and it's asking to connect to the internet to continue, would that be side-stepped if I had the key? I have a screw-in WiFi antenna that came with the motherboard but it looks like Plug N Play is not exactly active yet. I'm assuming the antenna can be started via BIOS or upon restart

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Slam Pajamas posted:

I've just finished piecing a computer together and now I'm installing Windows 11 home edition, I'm going to try to buy a key from a goon shortly but I jumped the gun and began the installation process and it's asking to connect to the internet to continue, would that be side-stepped if I had the key? I have a screw-in WiFi antenna that came with the motherboard but it looks like Plug N Play is not exactly active yet. I'm assuming the antenna can be started via BIOS or upon restart

It always asks to connect to the internet now, to force you to use a microsoft account. A key has no effect.

If you don't have a key you can just skip and say you'll do the key later, there's no downside to that.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

What kind of savings do you even realize buying a home key over a pro one?

Slam Pajamas
May 21, 2007
ALL TEXT TITLE ALL-STARS

Flipperwaldt posted:

What kind of savings do you even realize buying a home key over a pro one?

I decided that pro had certain features that I didnt care about but not enough to remember what those were :v: I'm really not tethered to either, I haven't even bought it yet

Klyith posted:

It always asks to connect to the internet now, to force you to use a microsoft account. A key has no effect.

If you don't have a key you can just skip and say you'll do the key later, there's no downside to that.

Well nuts. I did find a few tutorials on finishing installation without having to get the internet running, if all else fails I'll try one of those.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Slam Pajamas posted:

I decided that pro had certain features that I didnt care about but not enough to remember what those were :v: I'm really not tethered to either, I haven't even bought it yet

I guess that makes sense but with how cheap the 2nd hand OEM (or wherever they come from now) keys are I think most people go with pro just because, you never know. It's not like there's a downside to having more features even if you don't think you'll need them.

The group policy editor can actually be really useful. Though I get it, I actually do use a lot of the pro only stuff (hyper-v is actually a good way to make a Win10 vm. I'm planning on doing some remote desktop stuff) but I can see how most people wouldn't get excited about making vms. But also, in my case, the difference between a home key and pro key is $1.30. I dunno how much the difference is on SA Mart or ebay (these things are all just cheaper where I am) but I know most people think the same way, it's so cheap that, why not? You could end up needing that stuff some day, so why have the inferior version?

But now that I think about it I got my grandma a pro key, also cuz "why not" but she is absolutely never going to need a quick way to make a Windows 10 vm. It really is kinda pointless for her.

Does WSL2 work on Windows 11 home? I always assumed it did, but doesn't it need Hyper-V? And if Hyper-V is pro only how's that work?

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
I go pro because a win7 pro key is like $7 or $10 these days and works. It would take me more effort and money to locate and purchase a non pro key for windows 10, even if I decided I wanted one

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Javid posted:

It would take me more effort and money to locate and purchase a non pro key for windows 10, even if I decided I wanted one

That's a part of it for me too. Especially because there is a Chinese only version of Windows 10 and 11 home that will not change to English without some real hacky stuff. And, since I'm in China, keys for that version are floating around.

I'm amazed they still make a Windows 11 Single Language edition. I get why when they actually expected to make money on licenses, have a cheaper version for the Chinese market since piracy is so rampant here.

But now though, does it really even matter?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I have an spare, no longer used HDD (Hitachi 3TB) that I want to give to a friend that I gave my old i3 HTPC to. Just for bulk storage (their Win10 install is on an SSD).

I just want to do a reformat on it to wipe it but when I plug it into my main PC (via a USB-SATA adapter) it shows as having a "GTP Protected Partition" and I cannot even partition it and the size seems all whacked out at 16384GB too.

Is there something I'm missing here? All right click options are greyed out.

I just want to wipe the drive and give it a format. Whatever data is on it can (and should be) lost.

My computer management shows as attached (drive 3).

I can't remember what the drive is from. It *might* be from an old 32 bit windows 7 install from years ago, but that's just a guess.

e: Did some googling and found how to use diskpart.exe

Only registered members can see post attachments!

slidebite fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Sep 2, 2023

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
You can use the command line diskpart tool to ‘clean’ it which wipes all the partition tables.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."
lol

https://twitter.com/thebookisclosed/status/1698426549131755961?s=20

Basically, what happens is that by cycling F11 for full-screen mode on an Explorer window, it breaks the navbar (the bar with the cut/paste/share icons) for that particular explorer window session, and this results in a significant increase in responsiveness. Large directory listings show up immediately without a noticeable flicker, folders full of media files that showed that annoying "Working on it" have their thumbnails appear immediately, etc.

This is being reported as a 'bug' and it kinda is, but in this case it doesn't seem that Explorer was slow because of this bug, rather this bug just disables one of these poo poo performing extension that they keep bolting onto Explorer instead of actually modifying legacy code.

jfc.

Happy_Misanthrope fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Sep 4, 2023

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I hope they fix that bug for a more consistent user experience.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
They should keep moving more core functionality to UWP and see how that works out for them.

I can't wait for Notepad to start taking 5 seconds to load for the benefit of exactly fuckall!

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

You will enjoy your load times as they will remind you of the finite nature of existence. No longer will you take for granted the speed that was granted to you by prior Windows iterations. You will kneel, peasant, and obey.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
nvm posting to the mouse thread instead

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Windows 10 question, maybe it applies to Windows 11 as well:

Is there any way to change the default theme that's shown when you first launch Windows? So that when Windows tries to apply its default appearance or settings, it applies my preferred settings instead? Here's what I mean:

When you start Windows without any users logged in, you're presented with a login screen. That login screen has Windows' default theme settings, such as mouse cursor appearance, mouse acceleration is on, the login background, etc. I assume it also has default Windows colors, theming, etc. Is it pulling these from some hidden user or admin account or something? How do I permanently change these settings, so they're all consistent with what my user account uses?

Here's why I ask, and it's one of those very personal preference things; I don't have a legit, relatable reason for it:
  • I'd like mouse acceleration to be turned off by default, and for the mouse cursor to reflect my account's mouse cursor
  • Most importantly: I have a custom color theme I use with Windows. I hate, hate, hate, that every time I lock my computer, and then unlock it, the color theme is reverted to the Windows default. To get my colors back, I have to reapply my theme, and they come back. (If I could have it my way, I would never see Windows Blue in a UI ever again.
  • I don't mind getting my hands a little dirty with gpedit or the registry or whatever.
  • I know you think my color scheme sucks

My assumption is that Windows is digging back through a default profile or group of settings somewhere to display the login screen and to apply the default theme over my chosen custom colors. It's also sourcing these settings for mouse accel, etc. I want to be able to monkey with those.

This is purely a user preference, and it doesn't technically get in the way of anything I do on a computer, but it's just another way that Windows thwarts a level of customization that it used to respect back in the Windows 7 days, and if possible, I'd like to claw some small piece of it back.

example:

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Sep 5, 2023

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
HANG 'EM HIGH

We're fighting human animals and we act accordingly

Tesseraction posted:

You will enjoy your load times as they will remind you of the finite nature of existence. No longer will you take for granted the speed that was granted to you by prior Windows iterations. You will kneel, peasant, and obey.

We have reached the limit of how many electrons we can fit down a wire to the point where, they slow down to a light jog.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Computers keep getting faster so we have to expend more cpu cycles to do the same task to make it feel like it used to be.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Shaocaholica posted:

Computers keep getting faster so we have to expend more cpu cycles to do the same task to make it feel like it used to be.

IIRC there was a period where graphing calculators had a fake loading screen because people didn't trust the results if they showed up instantly.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

doctorfrog posted:

Is there any way to change the default theme that's shown when you first launch Windows? So that when Windows tries to apply its default appearance or settings, it applies my preferred settings instead? Here's what I mean:

It's been ages since I've had to deal with something related, but IIRC if you can find a registry setting that controls the theme you should be able to change it under HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT. But make a backup of the original setting.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Saukkis posted:

It's been ages since I've had to deal with something related, but IIRC if you can find a registry setting that controls the theme you should be able to change it under HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT. But make a backup of the original setting.

That's somewhere to start, thank you. And yeah: I'm backing the whole thing up as well as the individual keys I monkey with.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

lol

https://twitter.com/thebookisclosed/status/1698426549131755961?s=20

Basically, what happens is that by cycling F11 for full-screen mode on an Explorer window, it breaks the navbar (the bar with the cut/paste/share icons) for that particular explorer window session, and this results in a significant increase in responsiveness. Large directory listings show up immediately without a noticeable flicker, folders full of media files that showed that annoying "Working on it" have their thumbnails appear immediately, etc.

This is being reported as a 'bug' and it kinda is, but in this case it doesn't seem that Explorer was slow because of this bug, rather this bug just disables one of these poo poo performing extension that they keep bolting onto Explorer instead of actually modifying legacy code.

jfc.

My friend ended up using an third party explorer replacement because of this bug. I also encounter this from time to time with folders that have media files, either pictures or videos.

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

They should keep moving more core functionality to UWP and see how that works out for them.

I can't wait for Notepad to start taking 5 seconds to load for the benefit of exactly fuckall!
They already did that and fixed it a bit later.

Sorry for replying to such old posts lol.

Sininu fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Sep 7, 2023

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

On the hunt for prey... :D
I've realised that I'm not getting windows updates anymore. I have a custom built 1920x threadripper machine, and I'm wondering if it is because I need to update the bios.

The bios is real old, but I have no idea where to get the updated version from. There's a lot of dodgy sites when I do a search for American Megatrends.

Below is my system info. Any advice?

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing
You have an Asus X399-A.

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

c0burn posted:

You have an Asus X399-A.

I knew I was missing something. Thanks!
Managed to find the x399a update for 2023.

Still have the issue, but looking into reinstalling windows with the newest iso/version of win 10 first.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

the_lion posted:

I knew I was missing something. Thanks!
Managed to find the x399a update for 2023.

Still have the issue, but looking into reinstalling windows with the newest iso/version of win 10 first.

Use the newest windows 10 media creation tool, try to update from it in place.

Then again, if you have the desire to do a clean install, it's probably best anyway, seeing as something got messed up

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

the_lion posted:

First, try Settings -> Update & Security -> Troubleshoot and run the windows update troubleshooter. I've had at least 50% success rate with that fixing a wedged update.

(But also, windows 10 gets updates like once a month at most these days. Is it possible you just haven't been noticing them?)

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

HalloKitty posted:

Then again, if you have the desire to do a clean install, it's probably best anyway, seeing as something got messed up

Ah, might give that a go next. Thanks!

Klyith posted:

First, try Settings -> Update & Security -> Troubleshoot and run the windows update troubleshooter. I've had at least 50% success rate with that fixing a wedged update.

(But also, windows 10 gets updates like once a month at most these days. Is it possible you just haven't been noticing them?)

I tried the troubleshooter, it's not picking it up.

I know I'm missing updates because I have the "your device is missing important security and quality fixes" message every time I try running windows update. It's in red text with no actual updates.

It's been there for a couple of months. I just never got around to fixing it. I spotted that the windows iso from microsoft says it's newer too.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

RE: Auto updates

Klyith posted:

This is classic symptom of an update that's bunged up or stuck partway through.

1. The auto Troubleshooter for windows update is actually pretty good in 10 above. I've had it work several times with this type of problem (the windows store one is still worthless). Settings -> Update & Security -> Troubleshoot

2. If that doesn't work, this long series of instructions probably will.

IMO fixing it is preferable to a Reset, which will be at least a little bit of annoyance. So I'd do that unless you have other issues with the OS.

I had an issue with auto updates on one of my old PCs (circa 2017 surface) and going thru step 2 here sorted out. I'd try that before you do a full reset if its otherwise working fine.

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

HalloKitty posted:

This one worked great, used the media creation tool and it's up and running without me having to reinstall everything.

Thanks heaps!

slidebite posted:

RE: Auto updates

I had an issue with auto updates on one of my old PCs (circa 2017 surface) and going thru step 2 here sorted out. I'd try that before you do a full reset if its otherwise working fine.

I'll keep step 2 in mind if it ever happens again. Thanks!

Zadda
Jan 27, 2007

Young Urchin
This may have been discussed already but I did an update of Edge a week or so ago because I need to use that brower for a specific volunteer work web application sometimes.

And after updating Microsoft decided it was ok to put this searchbar in the middle of my desktop.. this is on Windows 10. You can disable it but ugh.

https://imgur.com/a/hzyMgDW

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

That suddenly turned up on my work laptop last week. I normally press winkey and type in the first couple of letters of an app I use. Unfortunately Windows seeds the results with Edge search queries, so half the time the first result will be Edge popping up with some random search completely unrelated to what I was trying to do. (My workaround so far has been to place commonly used apps on the toolbar but some things I just use once a week).

In any case, yeah, opening Edge by mistake made that search widget appear. It was very confusing.