Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Hotel Kpro posted:

Start applying for calibration jobs, it’s a cake career field and it’s relatively easy to get into

Thanks, I'll check 'em out!

peanut posted:

it won't

yeah :smith: It's about to go up too, because this is a college town and studio/1 bedroom prices get outrageous at the end of summer vacation. You can usually get a 2 bedroom for less than a 1 bedroom during the schoolyear, it's absurd.

Today's job application gripe: what the gently caress is this. This is after submitting both a resume and a cover letter. It just prompts me to submit "a Document" of unspecified origin

I even tried submitting my resume again but it turns out there are no valid file types for this and the only thing I can do is click "I don't have a Document"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
^^^
From January 12nd, 1973
it will no longer be optional to Upload Your Document.

Whatever you do
Upload

Don't be one of those people who mistakes
not uploading for uploading or you could face a fine.

For more information please reread this post

History Comes Inside! posted:

I was promised a raise to stop me leaving a job for more money, then my manager quit and their replacement, after a few months of badgering, told me there was no raise coming and it never should have been agreed.

I raised hell, said from my perspective I was out a significant amount of money since I’d have been getting paid more at the other job for a while so by my count they owed me a couple of weeks worth of my time and walked out, telling them to get their poo poo in order otherwise I’d see them next month.

They called me 2 days later to agree the raise and backdate it.

there was never another job offer I just made some poo poo up to fish for a raise, then doubled down when they thought they could screw me :ssh:

:patriot:

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Sep 4, 2023

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

lol I wonder if they're asking for ID or is that not allowed I have no idea about job hunting in the US capitalist hellhole

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

peanut posted:

lol I wonder if they're asking for ID or is that not allowed I have no idea about job hunting in the US capitalist hellhole

I didn’t see jpeg or gif among the files permitted in the screenshots. Maybe they just got tired of being spammed with that “dude fucks a dinosaur” picture while giving no indication what the gently caress is/was supposed to be uploaded there.

Bored fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Sep 5, 2023

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Just chillin' : )
My guess is that whoever set up the workflow in that platform doesn't know how to do it. They somehow added an unnecessary file upload field to the workflow, and when they were getting too many random or duplicate file uploads they edited the file type

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
Can't you just paste goatse in a word document then upload it?

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

It wouldn't accept my word document :( But I suffered through that application because it was an ancient system janky enough to drive most people away and it would be a high-level position in my specific expertise in an industry that would have no goddamn clue what I was doing or talking about which sounds perfect

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
On badging:

Serious_Cyclone posted:

That’s literally the way it works in federal government. If they can figure this out, anyone can

Not at my site

The best part is the chip in the badge going out on the weekend overtime, when the badging department wasn't working.

That and a new badge kicking you out of all the buildings and you having to get put back in which could be a few months, some of the readers only update quarterly.

I just envisioned a possible scenario where it would take signing 8 pieces of paper and have it witnessed to torque a single bolt.

It took us 5 months to install a retractable ladder due to "unforeseeable issues" change orders and re writes. Some of these engineer firms make like $30k a pop on these minor issues.

Recently we ordered a special bolt but the problem is no one makes that same grade nut etc. etc.

You just have to laugh or you'd cry.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
My current job is a masterclass on why 'iterative design' is just coded language for wasting money.

The design you iterate should be 95% the same as baseline, otherwise it's just a redesign. Also you don't iterate on hardware with lead times measured in multiple months.

Randy Travesty
Oct 27, 2014

PHANTOM QUEEN

Surprise, you're filling in for someone stuck at burning man!!!!!! Hope you had a nice weekend!!!!!

Oh my god. Yeah I'm doing fine. I'm absolutely fine. This is so dumb, I love too business.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
Got a reminder email today that Covid absences count the same as any other absence and that we are not to let people not be here without getting attendance points. So yeah I guess we’re all about to get Covid.

At least they also took away sick pay a couple years ago so when I get it I’ll effectively lose a week of vacation.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Randy Travesty posted:

Surprise, you're filling in for someone stuck at burning man!!!!!! Hope you had a nice weekend!!!!!

Oh my god. Yeah I'm doing fine. I'm absolutely fine. This is so dumb, I love too business.

Give them the full Burning Man experience and light them on fire when they get back.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

Got a reminder email today that Covid absences count the same as any other absence and that we are not to let people not be here without getting attendance points. So yeah I guess we’re all about to get Covid.

At least they also took away sick pay a couple years ago so when I get it I’ll effectively lose a week of vacation.

mgmt: covid has been solved, no more WFH, you must be in the office now!

mgmt: why is everyone sick now :confused:

mgmt: no more sick leave

Randy Travesty
Oct 27, 2014

PHANTOM QUEEN

Freaquency posted:

Give them the full Burning Man experience and light them on fire when they get back.

Going to make them feel right at home by rerouting running sewage across the floor and giving away everything in their office because they've given up their worldly selves in pursuit of luna. Also because I'm mad.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

IKEA pays a living wage wherever you are living as part of their company policy. My friend applied and got a job that started at $22/hr which matches the MIT data for my area. I didn’t know about this and thought, perhaps, some of you may not either.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

I am pretty sure that having Covid falls under FMLA and they can’t hold it against you, but I might be wrong.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Coasterphreak posted:

I am pretty sure that having Covid falls under FMLA and they can’t hold it against you, but I might be wrong.

If you get really sick from it it can. I don’t think that it automatically does though, so if you just have what is basically a head cold you’re either getting an attendance point (and not getting paid) or coming in and spreading it.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

deep dish peat moss posted:

I am :(

My best guess is that the job market just fuckin' sucks in my city, the cost of living here has skyrocketed since the start of the pandemic (even a studio apartment here costs about $15k/year more than it used to) but none of the employers have caught up. So all these remote positions avoid people from here because we want too much money compared to someone in Wyoming or whatever, and everyone hiring local seems to be just kind of waiting for CoL to drop before actually hiring anyone.

I'd gladly relocate for a job at this point but I can't afford it and no one offers relocation assistance anymore lmao

If it makes you feel any better, I'm in the same boat - you're definitely not alone. Just complete radio silence on every application while my current employer is coming crashing down.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

If you get COVID and aren't allowed to take a sick day, make sure you personally tell everyone in management how the policy sucks and needs to get changed. Be sure to speak as moistly as possible.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

It's like none of you care about shareholder value at all

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

IKEA pays a living wage wherever you are living as part of their company policy. My friend applied and got a job that started at $22/hr which matches the MIT data for my area. I didn’t know about this and thought, perhaps, some of you may not either.

I will take a look. Not sure if we have one in this area, though.

Thank you for the heads up!

Hotel Kpro posted:

Start applying for calibration jobs, it’s a cake career field and it’s relatively easy to get into

Also, thanks for this. How do I turn my playing with machinery, ability to understand how machinery works (art projects and basic tool repair) with reference material, and previous veterinary lab work into working to put on a resume so that they won’t just throw my application in the trash? Is their a reference site for example resumes for people with a little lab experience but no degrees that wants to get into calibration?

I really, really suck at selling myself. I’ve decided to start pretending I’m helping someone else with a job search, cause I would likely spend tons of time on that instead of just getting depressed and frustrated like I do for myself.

And yeah, I still plan on eventually restarting school, but I currently have no money and bills to pay.

Bored fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Sep 5, 2023

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

McGavin posted:

If you get COVID and aren't allowed to take a sick day, make sure you personally tell everyone in management how the policy sucks and needs to get changed. Be sure to speak as moistly as possible.

All the people making those decisions are WFH.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

I just checked and the one here starts at $10-16/hour in a city where you need to be making at least $29/hour at 40 hours to qualify for income verification to rent a studio apartment :smith:

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school

Dinosaur Gum

Bored posted:

Also, thanks for this. How do I turn my playing with machinery, ability to understand how machinery works (art projects and basic tool repair) with reference material, and previous veterinary lab work into working to put on a resume so that they won’t just throw my application in the trash? Is their a reference site for example resumes for people with a little lab experience but no degrees that wants to get into calibration?

I really, really suck at selling myself. I’ve decided to start pretending I’m helping someone else with a job search, cause I would likely spend tons of time on that instead of just getting depressed and frustrated like I do for myself.

And yeah, I still plan on eventually restarting school, but I currently have no money and bills to pay.

Do you know what a torque wrench, multimeter, or oscilloscope is? If you said yes to any of those you’re halfway in the door. If you mention the words guardbanding and uncertainties you’ll impress a hiring manager. If you throw in even the tiniest bit of theory about stuff like ohm’s law or pv = nrt you’ll stand out easily. Seriously the bar is super low for this career field. There are two people who get hired, people who did this in the military and random people off the street. If you know more than the next guy you’ll get a job. And once you’re in you’ll never be out of a job, like ever

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Bored posted:

For what it's worth this is legitimately a very powerful interview tactic - it sounds silly, but go into an interview imagining that you're not yourself, instead you are a secret agent or something posing as yourself. If you get nervous or anxious in job interview this can really help! It cements the idea that they're not judging you as a person, they're judging your performance as yourself. And no one is better at being yourself than you are.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Sep 5, 2023

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

And no one is better at being yourself than you are.

:wrong:

You are welcome to talk to every date I've been on about how bad I am at just being myself!

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

That's why you've gotta be a secret agent pretending to be you. James Bond is really good at that poo poo :colbert:

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Volmarias posted:

:wrong:

You are welcome to talk to every date I've been on about how bad I am at just being myself!

Being bad at being yourself is a uniquely defined amount to yourself so being bad at being yourself is something only you can do best. So be bad at being yourself only the way you can be bad at doing.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

imposter syndrome at being myself

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Fitzy Fitz posted:

imposter syndrome at being myself

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I just checked and the one here starts at $10-16/hour in a city where you need to be making at least $29/hour at 40 hours to qualify for income verification to rent a studio apartment :smith:

TEN to sixteen?!? Jesus. 😞

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

TEN to sixteen?!? Jesus. 😞

Actually that $10 can't be current/accurate, minimum wage here went up to $13.85 this year. But I did find a source that said their average starting pay in my state as of August of this year was $16.

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

Have had a dang chamber down for a week since it’s missing critical parts. Expected delivery was yesterday, a little odd since it was Labor Day, but not that odd since there’s always someone working. Get in today, still no part, and just noticed we have another chamber from the same order, missing the same part.

cynic
Jan 19, 2004

I've also heard anecdotally from hiring managers that postings that would get 4-5 applicants in the past are now getting well over 100 applicants, so there's exponentially more competition than there used to be for the jobs that are real.

I've had to go through 300+ applicants across 2 vacancies the last few weeks. Most applicants obviously didn't even read the requirements of the job and about 10% of the resumes seem to be fake (stuff like multiple names used, weird things like being at schools in Wyoming and Islamabad at the same time, weird mismatches in location and phone number and so on). It's loving tiring to spend all that time reviewing this poo poo, and then our HR department are so terrible at everything we have managed to get a grand total of 1 applicant in for interview so far.

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

cynic posted:

I've had to go through 300+ applicants across 2 vacancies the last few weeks. Most applicants obviously didn't even read the requirements of the job and about 10% of the resumes seem to be fake (stuff like multiple names used, weird things like being at schools in Wyoming and Islamabad at the same time, weird mismatches in location and phone number and so on). It's loving tiring to spend all that time reviewing this poo poo, and then our HR department are so terrible at everything we have managed to get a grand total of 1 applicant in for interview so far.

you can go to school in Wyoming and Islamabad at the same time if it's remote learning

bet you missed a hell of a candidate there

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Why are you reviewing 300+ applications if you have an HR department?

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Outrail posted:

Why are you reviewing 300+ applications if you have an HR department?

HR is like the cops of a business and like all cops are lazy and bad at their jobs

E why the gently caress does it autocorrect cops to 'good''?

Breetai fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Sep 6, 2023

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Breetai posted:

HR is like the cops of a business and like all good are lazy and bad at their jobs

Our last HR director wanted to shut down the HR shared inbox that employees could email, and asked if we could put in an automated chatbot to replace it.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Breetai posted:

HR is like the cops of a business and like all good are lazy and bad at their jobs

In my experience, simply telling management how much time you are wasting on reviewing applications and how much that's costing the business will make them put a fire under HR's feet to put some actual filtering in place real quick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Aramis posted:

In my experience, simply telling management how much time you are wasting on reviewing applications and how much that's costing the business will make them put a fire under HR's feet to put some actual filtering in place real quick.

We had management pointedly pin HR down and get them to acknowledge that we were losing people to retirement faster than they were hiring so HR went out and hired all their friends and relatives.

We’ve got the head count now but some of these people can’t even use a computer.