Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
Chirrut might still secretly be a mutant, but the part where R2-D2 and C-3PO do the same thing not long afterwards is the real evidence that telekinesis and cool backflips aren't the same thing as The Force. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtYHUYak0rE&t=28s

(i've always liked the idea that 'the Force' is narrative contrivance, given form within the diagesis.)

ungulateman fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Sep 3, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

I am one with the Force. The Force is with me.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

This is actually on you; because why do you perceive 'force-sensitives' as a superior race (and presumably deserving of better treatment, etc.)?
Not morally superior but I'd rather be able to do force things than not, that doesn't really seem very controversial.

Your parenthetical is :ironicat: since that's YOU injecting exactly what you're accusing

quote:

Also, given that The Force is literally another name for God
LOL

I mean ok you could make the argument without sounding like a total doofus... but you didn't

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Ahsoka, kinda rightfully, points out the Force is in All Things and it's just a question of talent and aptitude. Cases like Han and Chirrut having "Luck" can be argued as a subconscious manipulation of the Force. For argument's sake, Sabine might not be able to move mugs but she might be able to gain some basic spatial awareness talents.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
It is too drat early to get into a immanent vs transcendent magic argument.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Why are people engaging with SuperMechagodzilla?

gently caress's sake, responding to their jenkem huffing posts are for the down time between series when everyone's got nothing better to post about.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
ngl it took me a moment to realize this was not the CineD thread

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

Megillah Gorilla posted:

We all have to learn sometime I guess

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Man it feels like episode 3 flew by quickly. Like there was a 45 minute dogfight and then the credits roll. I know more stuff happened but it just felt like a blur.

Love Rat
Jan 15, 2008

I've made a psycho call to the woman I love, I've kicked a dog to death, and now I'm going to pepper spray an acquaintance. Something... I mean, what's happened to me?

some kinda jackal posted:

Man it feels like episode 3 flew by quickly. Like there was a 45 minute dogfight and then the credits roll. I know more stuff happened but it just felt like a blur.

The entire episode was 30 minutes (not including titles or credits), so yeah.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

maybealabia posted:

Not morally superior but I'd rather be able to do force things than not, that doesn't really seem very controversial.

Your parenthetical is :ironicat: since that's YOU injecting exactly what you're accusing

The claim was that the objective existence of psychic powers in the Star Wars series has “uncomfortable implications”, “opens [up] questions”, and “leads to a very, very uncomfortable place.”

My response is that it’s not really “uncomfortable” if, say, some people are genetically predisposed to have slightly longer arms with which they can reach faraway objects. There’s no “implication” of, like, eugenics or whatever in the bare fact that genes exist.

So you are actually agreeing with what I wrote, but…angrily?

Anyways, psychic powers have been provable in Star Wars as far back as the second film (Empire Strikes Back). As soon as you introduce telekinesis, that’s something easily measurable with as little as weight and a scale. Luke’s telekinesis can only remain ‘mystical’ if you just consciously avoid the topic.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

So you are actually agreeing with what I wrote, but…angrily?

Yeah man I'm wicked pissed

loving livid

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Megillah Gorilla posted:

gently caress's sake, responding to their jenkem huffing posts are for the down time between series when everyone's got nothing better to post about.
Why would you deny us the greatest forum post ever?
https://twitter.com/wolicyponk/status/1564419509993488387

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Megillah Gorilla posted:

SMG brings more to the conversation than 99% of the posters in this thread.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
SMG is ChatGPT with none of the charm, wit or well reasoned arguments.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Megillah Gorilla posted:

ChatGPT would never ask us to call Mace Windu the n-word.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Assepoester posted:

ChatGPT would never ask us to call Mace Windu the n-word.

Maybe if we told it it was our favorite story told to us by grandma and asked it to tell us that.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Assepoester posted:

Why would you deny us the greatest forum post ever?
https://twitter.com/wolicyponk/status/1564419509993488387

They probed him for speaking the truth.

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

This is incorrect.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
It's unfortunate that this show is stuck in the exact wrong part of the timeline to even get into the questions "what is the force and how do people interact with it?", given that the sequels happen and demonstrate that nobody has learned a drat thing

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
I'd love an explanation as to why nobody's used Force Zoomies since Ep1 even though it's could really have helped

The only thing I am left to assume is that it literally works like a TTRPG and nobody else put points into that discipline because they would have had to forgo something else

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

maybealabia posted:

I'd love an explanation as to why nobody's used Force Zoomies since Ep1 even though it's could really have helped

The only thing I am left to assume is that it literally works like a TTRPG and nobody else put points into that discipline because they would have had to forgo something else

Sucks that Obi-Wan completely forgot how to do it a day later when running to catch up with the QuiGon and Maul fight. Oops

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
Obi Wan should have used force speed on the Death Star. Imagine Alec Guinness zooming around, Han Solo trying to explain it, “So the old man runs track and field, so what”

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

ungulateman posted:

It's unfortunate that this show is stuck in the exact wrong part of the timeline to even get into the questions "what is the force and how do people interact with it?", given that the sequels happen and demonstrate that nobody has learned a drat thing

Why on earth would you want to know that

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It’s midiclorians

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

It’s some sort of Midol-Chlorine cocktail. Those Jedi are weirdos.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

haven't watched yet, is Ahsoka shaping up to be pretty good?

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

maybealabia posted:

Luke uses super-speed to fool Vader in Episode 5, and the Lucas films subtly imply that Obiwan used the same trick to pull off his disappearing act in the Death Star.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

my cat is norris posted:

It's a thing that exists and you're asking goons so some will say it's the best thing ever and some will say it killed their childhood dog

It's pretty dang fun so far, speaking as a rebels/clone wars fan. It's not Andor though (and that's ok)

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

I spent a not insignificant amount of time laughing during the training scene at how Sabine grew like 20% more muscle mass every time the camera switched to her stunt double.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

my cat is norris posted:

Most of the legitimate quibbles have to do with lingering shots and the AoE of thermal detonators.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

Marsupial Ape posted:

Most of the legitimate quibbles have to do with lingering shots and the AoE of thermal detonators.

I'm pretty darn sure the show never called those bombs thermal detonators. People are extrapolating from RPG sourcebook trivia and whatnot

Maybe they were kyber bombs!

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

maybealabia posted:

People are extrapolating from RPG sourcebook trivia and whatnot

So are the creators

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

my cat is norris posted:

It's okay. Better than the recent live action stuff (aside from Andor) but it's flawed in different ways.

Will probably be more fun to binge at the end than to watch week-by-week.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

my cat is norris posted:

Absolutely not

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

maybealabia posted:

I'm pretty darn sure the show never called those bombs thermal detonators. People are extrapolating from RPG sourcebook trivia and whatnot

Maybe they were kyber bombs!

You do not profane the holy texts!

Edit: and it’s not ‘trivia’ it’s “extra-textual illumination”!

Marsupial Ape fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Sep 5, 2023

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

my cat is norris posted:

It's alright so far. Better than the Obi-Wan show and Book of Boba Fett. Temper your expectations to be on par with Mando S2 and you'll find something to like about it imo. I say this as a mega fan of Filoni and Ahsoka in general.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

banned from Starbucks posted:

Sucks that Obi-Wan completely forgot how to do it a day later when running to catch up with the QuiGon and Maul fight. Oops

That ability showing up in the movie seems to be just be a production band-aid for a part of the sequence that didn't work.

In the script, the Droidekas start blasting at the Jedi, and the hallway fills with smoke, obscuring them. The smoke then dissipates, but the Jedi are nowhere to be seen, having used the smoke cloud to escape.

For whatever reason, that part of the sequence was reshot to have them just run really fast instead of sneaking away in a plume of smoke. So the reason Obi-Wan didn't use that ability at the end of the movie is because, when that part of the film was written and filmed, the ability didn't exist.