Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
hey remember when america tried to kill huawei's smartphone business by banning tech transfers?

well guess what they iust released a 7nm processor high end phone completely made in china and it sold millions

https://twitter.com/kanthan2030/status/1698669165182378272?s=46&t=kY7HKwmb1RBg9U186lxtbg

https://twitter.com/carlzha/status/1697187314362163675?s=46&t=kY7HKwmb1RBg9U186lxtbg

https://twitter.com/thecyrusjanssen/status/1698681384796319838?s=46&t=kY7HKwmb1RBg9U186lxtbg

lol

Al-Saqr has issued a correction as of 19:09 on Sep 4, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
lol yeah they released the phone on the same day that the secretary of commerce landed in China. we talked about it a couple days ago in the thread.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

Al-Saqr posted:

hey remember when america tried to kill huawei's smartphone business by banning tech transfers?

well guess what they iust released a 7nm processor high end phone completely made in china and it sold millions

https://twitter.com/kanthan2030/status/1698669165182378272?s=46&t=kY7HKwmb1RBg9U186lxtbg

https://twitter.com/carlzha/status/1697187314362163675?s=46&t=kY7HKwmb1RBg9U186lxtbg

https://twitter.com/thecyrusjanssen/status/1698681384796319838?s=46&t=kY7HKwmb1RBg9U186lxtbg

lol

my favorite part of this is that when it happened you had a bunch of Very Smart People breathlessly posting that the entire Chinese tech industry had just collapsed and that it was one of the most mind-blowing things they had ever seen

some Law of Attraction poo poo, desperately trying to will their desired outcome into existence by just claiming it had already happened

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

https://consumer.huawei.com/us/

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

i'm never buying a non-chinese phone again

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

what was the relationship of the shooter to the moonies

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Shear Modulus posted:

what was the relationship of the shooter to the moonies

his mom was a member and they sucked up all the family's money

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Mister Bates posted:

my favorite part of this is that when it happened you had a bunch of Very Smart People breathlessly posting that the entire Chinese tech industry had just collapsed and that it was one of the most mind-blowing things they had ever seen

some Law of Attraction poo poo, desperately trying to will their desired outcome into existence by just claiming it had already happened

Also, very serious people also claimed that the Chinese were a "decade behind at least" and it turned out they were maybe 2-3 years behind and if anything the gap seems to be closing. Also, if the Chinese can fabricate a chip that high-end they can also fabricate chips for its own MIC and export markets.

It also shows how the whole goofy "China invading Taiwan for its fabs" theory is.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
can china put a third, fourth, or fifth camera on its phones? can it switch from a proprietary charging port to usbc? can it deliver moderate adjustments to its phones user interface every single year???

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

Centrist Committee posted:

can china put a third, fourth, or fifth camera on its phones? can it switch from a proprietary charging port to usbc? can it deliver moderate adjustments to its phones user interface every single year???

The Chinese were actually the pioneers of multicamera modules followed by the Koreans, distant third wadnaople and google phones.

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

please, comrade Xi, my people desire devices with modern performance and user replaceable batteries

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

A universal phone chassis with easily replaceable major parts would be the true communist solution so you aren't buying a new phone every couple of years

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Slavvy posted:

A universal phone chassis with easily replaceable major parts would be the true communist solution so you aren't buying a new phone every couple of years

apple but for communism instead of profit would be dope

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Ardennes posted:

It also shows how the whole goofy "China invading Taiwan for its fabs" theory is.

Just to play the devils advocate for a moment, it occurs to me that China invading Taiwan for the fabs would be about denying them to the USA, who would likely explode them anyway.
They hardly need to though.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
User replaceable battery and not gluing down everything down would early stage Communism.

----

I am not a tech nerd but it just occurred to me China has delivered an actual product with a 7nm chip made physically in PR China before intel released a 7nm chip physically made in the United States.

Their Whatever Lake chip is supposed to be released "2nd half of 2023."

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Yes but it's full of Chinese government spyware!!! Do you want someone being able to track you and all your data????

Sent from my Google Pixel phone

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Al-Saqr posted:

lol

doesn't 想办法 mean "find a way"

apple but for communism instead of profit would be dope

that wouldn't be anything like apple though. nothing in the iPhone (or any of their products really) is easily replaceable and never was, and they're constantly slightly changing their form factor so not even cases are always transferable. it might be like idk early Nexus models or that google build-a-phone that never came out

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Weka posted:

Just to play the devils advocate for a moment, it occurs to me that China invading Taiwan for the fabs would be about denying them to the USA, who would likely explode them anyway.
They hardly need to though.

It would make sense to do things the old fashion way, put them out of business.

this allusion meant
Apr 9, 2006

indigi posted:

yeah. think of a method, more literally, but without any particular intellectual connotations; two dudes moving a couch have to xiang banfa how to get it through the door. i am also baffled by this person's choice to include it like this

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

indigi posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMjQ3hA9mEA

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Reminds me of when westerners are like "the ancient Japanese concept of ganbaru," like it's some complex and obscure concept that can't be fully translated

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

oh no I have to convey cultural context and that makes it harder for me to slip foreign vocabulary nonchalantly into conversations to make me seem more worldly

Ytlaya posted:

Reminds me of when Easterners are like "the ancient American concept of vibes," like it's some complex and obscure concept that can't be fully translated

or like treating 差不多chàbuduō as some inherently Chinese cultural philosophy or moral failure when "good enough for government work" exists

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Mister Bates posted:

lol it owned

https://twitter.com/gonglei89/status/1695956087579759088?s=20

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Ardennes posted:

Also, very serious people also claimed that the Chinese were a "decade behind at least" and it turned out they were maybe 2-3 years behind and if anything the gap seems to be closing. Also, if the Chinese can fabricate a chip that high-end they can also fabricate chips for its own MIC and export markets.

sound of south korea becoming a developing country again and nobody notices

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

lol

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?
China stays winning

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

https://youtu.be/4_vgute5Y5c?feature=shared

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

banger

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022
This is how bullies work: you pick on the weak guys, not your biggeat threats.

This is why China makes bigger and bolder moves on countries like Canada and New Zealand and their citizens.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Holy poo poo china

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

tristeham posted:

This is how bullies work: you pick on the weak guys, not your biggeat threats.

This is why China makes bigger and bolder moves on countries like Canada and New Zealand and their citizens.

Do you have a pilots license?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Ardennes posted:

To the USA the Taiwan fabs are mystical hyper advanced technology forges from Mars. To the Chinese they're just more factories.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

DancingShade posted:

To the USA the Taiwan fabs are mystical hyper advanced technology forges from Mars. To the Chinese they're just more factories.

And China clearly has the ability to push a vastly larger economy of scale if they so choose to. TSMC and the rest of the larger Taiwanese manufacturers are eventually going to have to make a choice.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Ardennes posted:

And China clearly has the ability to push a vastly larger economy of scale if they so choose to. TSMC and the rest of the larger Taiwanese manufacturers are eventually going to have to make a choice.

They don't need to choose anything really. Just do business as usual. The only source of agitation is the increasingly drunk USA staggering from one place to another trying to relive the good old days, annoying everyone with their air guitar. Eventually the USA will fall asleep clutching a bottle of hooch in a back alley crib.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Ardennes posted:

are they allowed to make a choice or is the choice made for them

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I'm wondering if China is going to advance an alternate desktop computing platform, such as ARM or RISC or even their own

Or if they're going to manufacture x86, even if they don't have licensing from Intel/AMD

Or if Intel/AMD will cave and give them licensing anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
They have the Zhaoxin license, no? They're not amazing chips, but they're fully-compatible for transitional purposes.

Getting off x64 should be a when-not-if, though. Not because it could be yanked away in a context where that would somehow be respected, but because a) it bad b) it bad c) hard wean from US software.