Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Favourite Pokémon type?
This poll is closed.
Plain 6 3.17%
Hot 7 3.70%
Wet 15 7.94%
Green 11 5.82%
Shocking 2 1.06%
Cold 3 1.59%
Punchy 7 3.70%
Poisonous 4 2.12%
Brown 7 3.70%
Bird 11 5.82%
Weird 17 8.99%
Gross 11 5.82%
Solid 2 1.06%
Scary 8 4.23%
Dragon 5 2.65%
Creepy 18 9.52%
Mech 33 17.46%
Pink 22 11.64%
Total: 189 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

Vermain posted:

fondly remembering my favorite FFXIV character name that i've ever seen, Unregistered Hypercam

Peak naming right here :discourse:

e: worthy page snipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

i have finished all endings of ac6. it's really, really good.

also i now have 10 completed games on my goty list. will there be more? only time will tell...

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Pladdicus posted:

what's with the rad games thing

VG keeps changing his user name in funny ways and at some point in the old feedback thread, someone said 'Video games forum killed the radio games forum' (I said it but I do not think I was first) and he changed the forum name to Radio Games and now it's Rad Games and he's a goddamn gremlin admin who is trying to send me into an early grave.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Obviously now we rename the board/wargaming forum to Trad Games

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Let's Play is "Lads, Games"

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Egad! Games!

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Waffleman_ posted:

Let's Play is "Lads, Games"

can't wait for Infinite Wealth

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Me neither, but it ain't happening in this economy

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

Runa posted:

can't wait for Infinite Wealth

They've already got that, just not for us.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

spent all day yesterday playing void stranger. can't believe finland made la-mulana 3.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

RIP :smithmouth:

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOf9_c7m6xM

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Gonna kick robot rear end with a colour scheme right out of the 80s.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Ibblebibble posted:

Get along little dogas :v:

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Ibblebibble posted:

that's just a bowl of milk after eating Trix

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
So was it too many eggs or too few

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

celebrity egg death speculation is one of the handful of clearly outlined rules not to break in the OP. user loses posting privileges for a half dozen

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Basticle posted:

that's just a bowl of milk after eating Trix

No it's Gyunei's Jagd Doga

RBA Starblade posted:

Get along little dogas :v:

see?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I'd forgotten how finicky the movement and controls of the Gundpowder Total War games can be. I was playing Napoleon, early in the Italian campaign and lost way more of my force than necessary trying to out flank an Austrian line because a small hill meant my Grenadiers refused to form rank in a coherent way. Moving the mouse they'd go from a three wide column to a single file line with half the men set back two ranks for no reason, just nonsense. And then my artillery, despite being set to not fire at will, and with no targeting instructions decided to unlimber and fire right into the side of my line unprompted.

It's strange that after all the flaws of Empire, they come out with Napoleon still pretty busted and then actually manage to succeed in making it work with the Fall of the Samurai DLC, and then promptly never release Napoleon II, or Empire II. It's really too bad, consensus says, and I partially agree that the tighter the scope of a CA game the better it is, and the Napoleonic wars provide the perfect mix of grand battles, legendary campaigns, and smaller time scope to make what should be an excellent game.

I've also been playing some Victory and Glory a semi casual Napoleonic strategy game that is semi randomized with a card draw mechanic. Each turn you have only a certain amount of activations that you use to move your Marshals around and to make diplomatic overtures. The Map is divided between the European Powers, Prussia, France, England, Austria, Ottomans, Spain and Russia, and two geographic areas Italy and Germany. You always play as France and GB is always hostile, but the other powers have a simple influence system ticking up to 10 and down to 0. GB will play cards to draw any power that has less than 5 french influence into war with France, with the chance of declaring war increasing by 25% per -influence, so a country with 0 French Influence has a 100% chance to declare war if GB plays a card. To counter this you can either use your diplomatic points that you gain through victories in the field or the defeat of other powers by occupying the capital, or by playing special cards like the marriage of Napoleon and Marie-Louise which knocks Austria out of the war for awhile, you can also enforce neutrality by occupying the capital for a turn, except Russia who needs both Moscow and St.Petersburg occupied simultaneously. Combat has only three unit types, Infantry, Cavalry, and Artillery each with a obvious function. Artillery can fire from your back lines, Cavalry can move up a line and attack, Infantry can form a square that defeats cavalry but makes it more susceptible to Artillery fire. There is also a small rank system from 0-6 with higher ranks doing better in combat, Militia for instance starts at rank 0 while Guards start at rank 4. Units coming under fire can become disorganized which prevents them from moving and makes them more likely to be routed or retreat. Retreating units can be rallied back to the field at the cost of some of the Generals Leadership, any unit being killed also has a small chance to kill one of your generals, except Napoleon who cannot be killed unless your army has Zero Imperial Guards, then he can be killed like anyone else and you lose the campaign instantly. You do want to utilize him though, using the Berthier staff card means he has the ability to command the largest army in the game at 25 units, he gets special cards that allow manuevers like artillery barrages or cavalry charges before your first phase of battle that can absolutely gently caress up your opponent, and at 12 skill he is the highest ranked general by far in the game; for reference Wellington and Davout are 9, Archduke Charles, Kutuzov are 8, and most of the rest of Napoleon's Marshals and the other notable generals are 7 or so.

Basically the game is about isolating the powers one at a time to defeat them and enforce neutraility while using your influence cards to carve out client states like North Italy, Spain, Poland, Bavaria, The Rhine Confederation, and Naples while preventing too many powers from declaring at once. Individually you can defeat any of them relatively easily, but warring against all of them at once will grind you down too much and they'll thousand cuts you to death. There is no recruitment or economy, you use cards to recruit men from neutral territory, client states and France, and you get a certain amount of recruits each year. If you waste them in battle, even if you win you end up hosed. Likewise, GB will always draw in continental powers to fully win you need to defeat the navy and invade England. They always have a better and larger fleet than you so you need to consolidate the Spanish, French, Danish, and Low Countries navies together, choose each battle carefully and have some good luck with playing your Storm cards that force the English navy to retreat. It's a pretty fun relatively casual game that does a decent job replicating the feel of Napoleons task even when it's mechanics are semi nonsense.

It seems the company was going to make a US Civil War game afterwords but then went radio silent. Too bad I guess, but I don't see it as a war that lends itself to the mechanics. Maybe something more like the Thirty Years war or the wars of Louis the XIV where influence and isolating your enemies are important strategically and preserving your army in the field is as important as winning battles.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

That sounds cool and the art and interface actually look decent for a game in this niche lol, I should have bought it during the Strategy Week sale

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

So is Victoria 3 good?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

No

Also it seems the Civil War game did come out, but by a different studio. How odd. I still want the Thirty Years War game, I'd love to see a video game version of it that isn't ancient ageod nonsense.

Gaius Marius fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Sep 4, 2023

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I enjoyed Victoria, I made Central America a superpower through the power of my film studios and then nearly destroyed the country through runaway inflation

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
I’m terrible at shooters, but I’ve been playing some AC6 and I’ve got a hot tip.
Try not to get hit by enemy attacks. That’s bad in this game.

(Perhaps it’s not helping that I was playing back through Bloodborne just before this.)

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

just shoot them before they shoot you, ez

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

Jay Rust posted:

So is Victoria 3 good?

there's a beta patch being tested now that I think is going to change things up a bit, but I don't really understand the game now, so who knows.

I played it for 12 hours over the weekend and I'm not sure I enjoyed myself.

Good podcast/tv watching game though.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

i resubbed to gamepass but whoops starfield isn't out til tomorrow.

i added all these games to the Play Later list and now i don't know what i'm going to play tonight.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Kerrzhe posted:

i resubbed to gamepass but whoops starfield isn't out til tomorrow.

i added all these games to the Play Later list and now i don't know what i'm going to play tonight.

Broforce!

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Pay thirty dollars to play Starfield an hour early.

MuffinsAndPie
May 20, 2015

Jay Rust posted:

So is Victoria 3 good?

I can see it being good in the future, but it needs to be more fleshed out imo. The next expansion does look good and it's fixing a bunch of problems, but no idea if when I sit down and try again if I'll actually say that it's fun+satisfying

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Gripweed posted:

No it's Gyunei's Jagd Doga

see?

gently caress I didn't realise that I might have been subconsciously remaking the Jagd Doga colour scheme lol

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

HopperUK posted:

Broforce!

Seconding this, Broforce is a great little game.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Ibblebibble posted:

gently caress I didn't realise that I might have been subconsciously remaking the Jagd Doga colour scheme lol

I thought that's what you meant when you said it was from the 80s

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Ibblebibble posted:

rip

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

Playing God Hand for the first time since I was a teen, and it definitely still rules. I'm having even more fun with it now that I'm more willing to experiment with the moveset customization.

A beat em up where you can tailor-make your fighting style is unbelievably sick, and I would love to see it come up as a concept again in the future.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Gripweed posted:

I thought that's what you meant when you said it was from the 80s

Nah someone told me it looked like a mantis shrimp from the 80s and they weren't wrong.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

i think mantis shrimp look like they're from the 80s no matter what decade they're in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Feeling like Starfield, at least for me, is going to be one of those games to grab when it's on sale and there's 6+ months of patches and mods under its belt to get it to where it needs to be.
Happy for Bethesda Game Studio fans, but it's looking very much on par with their previous releases for better or worse.

The irony of using Cyberpunk in this comparison isn't lost on me :laffo:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBrBu7BxaAg

Shout out to fans for giving Todd and AMD the middle finger and just modding in DLSS/XeSS Support.