Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Will Stereotype
This poll is closed.
fall in love? 10 8.33%
have a transcendent life altering experience that elevates their consciousness to a higher state? 14 11.67%
take some cool photos? 7 5.83%
get jumped and sent to the hospital by furries? 32 26.67%
waste his time and money? 57 47.50%
Total: 120 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

theflyingexecutive posted:

my camp got an official reprimand for leaving behind three pistachio shells and a couple stands of plastic fiber (from a tarp that had shredded)

someone please find me a cleaner gathering of 80,000 people, because most of them look like this

Cope, go suck Grover's dick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Vox Nihili posted:

The report you linked says things got much worse in 2022, announced a call to do better in the future, and noted that burners left behind over 1,000 metal stakes.

It rules that the actual link is "stop loving it up, all you new assholes left too much trash and you're going to ruin this"

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Having Bar Run Dun dunk on you in his own way. Just ban steotype, fly executive, and Lacrosse

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

Mr Hootington posted:

Having Bar Run Dun dunk on you in his own way. Just ban steotype, fly executive, and Lacrosse

when the indoor boys line up for a dunk you know youre smoked

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Gathering of the Juggalos is way more pure because they don't need to lie to themselves about it being a few days of hedonism. Nothing wrong with that, just be honest

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Gumball Gumption posted:

Gathering of the Juggalos are way more pure because they don't need to lie to themselves about it being a few days of hedonism. Nothing wrong with that, just be honest

It is much more of a working class gathering too. You won't see child slavery lawyers, grover, or any other SV venture types.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

good god is it still going?

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Mr Hootington posted:

it’s a shame it’s not something I’m evaluating in real life. when I tell people they’re loving up it generally costs them a lot of money or gets them sued.

as I sit here thinking about it. if something like that collapsed there is a non zero chance I’d get a call about it to fly out and take pictures.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

Gumball Gumption posted:

Gathering of the Juggalos is way more pure because they don't need to lie to themselves about it being a few days of hedonism. Nothing wrong with that, just be honest

i respect dressing up as a literal clown far more than putting on a tutu, hawaiian shirt, and ushanka and calling it performance art

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Bar Ran Dun posted:

it’s a shame it’s not something I’m evaluating in real life. when I tell people they’re loving up it generally costs them a lot of money or gets them sued.

as I sit here thinking about it. if something like that collapsed there is a non zero chance I’d get a call about it to fly out and take pictures.

I've worked for a company that had an empty IBC stacked just 3 high on pavement fall and cripple a worker for life, in recent memory. So yeah I'm also pretty appalled by just how reckless this is, and I have an inkling the artist who built it ain't exactly used to stacking them.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Ohtori Akio posted:

structural analysis is badass. and youve got more experience with loads than me bitch

dropping load facts

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

anyways flyingexecutive do you feel like the thousands of dollars you spent to be in a natural disaster was worth it

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I came here for more Rich Prude Sex & Drugs Destination Getaway schadenfreude but stayed for the OSHA/rigger content.

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Poppers posted:

Looks like the freaking load expert has logged on lmfao

rabble rabble
Mar 24, 2015

Nap Ghost
rig me up daddy

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

Ohtori Akio posted:

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Ohtori Akio posted:

lol

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

take only pictures, leave only hot loads of vc cum in theflyingexecutive's rear end

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

Ohtori Akio posted:

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Ohtori Akio posted:

sitchensis
Mar 4, 2009

I love reading this poo poo

this is a good end of summer spin off of the Everest thread. schadenfreude is top notch.

though the one off limited OceanGate series was pretty great as well

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Ohtori Akio posted:

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Ohtori Akio posted:

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

no way in hell they pass the POOP test after this one

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Bar Ran Dun posted:

allowable tested stacking weight on those IBCs is neighborhood of 4000 kg. in that image I see 6 people on the top of one stack. eight high six folks is pushing 2000 kgs. but it’s eight high.

so that’s like putting the 40 metric ton can on the top of the stack in a container ship, and without the equivalent of twist locks or lashing bars. that stack is eight IBCs high most IBCs are about 1M^3. the sail area on that stack is quite large. betting those IBCs are secured with those blue plastic pallets and zip ties.

lol. lmao.

some rear end in a top hat did “the math” (by this I mean checked stack weight) but lol there is bunch of math that wasn’t even on their radar. a good good wind with folks up ontop is almost certainly a fail state for that thing.

lol, all art at burning man has to clear safety engineering analysis, even down to the art cars and must be rated for 100mph gusts on all shear axes at load. the ibcs are lashed together externally with metal

artists here are aware of wind and that people will climb an obviously climbable structure.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

lol, all art at burning man has to clear safety engineering analysis, even down to the art cars and must be rated for 100mph gusts on all shear axes at load. the ibcs are lashed together externally with metal

artists here are aware of wind and that people will climb an obviously climbable structure.

you climb on top of software engineer tuna can chode nightly and you like it

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Ohtori Akio posted:

you climb on top of software engineer tuna can chode nightly and you like it

get his rear end!

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Mdma

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

yeah I'm sure the libertarian dipshit festival has rigorous safety analyses and inspections

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

Hatebag posted:

yeah I'm sure the libertarian dipshit festival has rigorous safety analyses and inspections

they pay the building permit fee in head lol

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

they only say that may ask for your hand written engineering estimates

https://burningman.org/event/participate/art-performance/playa-art/art-installation-guidelines/building-safe-structures/

quote:

For structures taller than 10 feet, or where failures could threaten safety, it is important that structural stability is considered, that construction is aligned with the plans, and that construction is sequenced in such a way as to maintain a safe building environment.

Following are the types of information about your art project that Burning Man Arts will likely ask to see to help you think through the process of building safe art.

If the structure is above 20 feet tall OR if the structure is between 16-20 feet tall and has dynamic platforms for human interaction:

Items 1-4 from Section 3.
The engineering calculation package (if available). It can be done in any format, hand calculation or computer program. If a computer program is used, please provide a small document that includes the inputs and outputs of the program. Calculations should be done, in general, for elements including (but not limited to) joists, beams/girders, columns, bearing plates, anchor uplift and connections of one framing element to another.
If only a portion of the structure is analyzed, instead of the structure as a whole, please justify the reasoning behind that decision.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

they absolutely got some retarded undergrad to do the math assuming all the lashing was done perfectly with new materials on a good foundation lol

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
BM org has binders full of PhDs.

I think that they know what they’re doing, snowflake.

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

lol. fuckin do what you feel festival

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-oDWblIDbI

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Weird, because the folks I know who've done art cars never had an engineer make drawings. Or do you mean dirty dan or some other old hand burner needs to nod and approve?

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
i hear they got this building inspector who's got first hand experience building things on mud to sign off on this

also i really thought this thread was a bit for a good while but i guess not

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

is this guy a paid shill for turdman or something

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

these guys keep coming in here and just lying lmfao

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

Second Hand Meat Mouth posted:

these guys keep coming in here and just lying lmfao

theyve got a lot of experience lying down

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Ohtori Akio posted:

theyve got a lot of experience lying down