Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

galagazombie posted:

I rag on Legends for filling every hour of every day in and around the OT with important adventures where everyone had some part in stealing the Death Star plans. But it wasn’t without its upsides. It made it really feel like there was a whole galaxy wide revolution going on. Where every planet had its own plucky squadron of Xwing pilots, crew of smugglers, and imperial defectors. It organically/inadvertently made the whole war against the empire both really feel like a team effort that had wide spread popular support, and like an actual Star War. So much of the new comics and such feel like they’re focused on only using characters from the movies instead of original characters and we get so much less in general. Video games especially.

The Disney era has really made it feel like the Rebel Alliance is made up of like 100 people tops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/pabl0hidalgo/status/1696235919978938718
https://twitter.com/pabl0hidalgo/status/1697616681647173699

Vinylshadow fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Sep 1, 2023

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

feedmyleg posted:

The Disney era has really made it feel like the Rebel Alliance is made up of like 100 people tops.

I'm one of those TLJ fans but that part really irked me. I get that Rian was going for a feeling of hopelessness but it just seems TOO hopeless. I can only imagine he was pushing for ep 9 to feature a "rebuilding the resistance" arc, but no, there's just more people, then Lando apparently was the key to instantly recruiting 5,000,000,000 people.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I was excited for part of the next movie to be a badass getting the team together flick but lol

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Somehow... [heavy sigh] we got the team back together.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Glottis posted:

I'm one of those TLJ fans but that part really irked me. I get that Rian was going for a feeling of hopelessness but it just seems TOO hopeless. I can only imagine he was pushing for ep 9 to feature a "rebuilding the resistance" arc, but no, there's just more people, then Lando apparently was the key to instantly recruiting 5,000,000,000 people.
Yes, Duel of the Fates was originally going to feature a somewhat recovered but still small resistance who were pulling off daring heists of FO ships and equipment, and Lando was originally going to be cynical and refuse to help at first only to show up at the very end, ala Solo in Episode 4.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

Assepoester posted:

Yes, Duel of the Fates was originally going to feature a somewhat recovered but still small resistance who were pulling off daring heists of FO ships and equipment, and Lando was originally going to be cynical and refuse to help at first only to show up at the very end, ala Solo in Episode 4.

Only thing missing from the script was well-placed heistisms.

Specifically: "Lando you son of a bitch"

More specifically: "Gulp Shitto/Xhit Cindu you son of a bitch"

Even more specifically: "Yjulp vu bata shoomg"

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
forget how insane lando recruiting a 5 million person resistance is in the span of like 10 hours (why did they tell us how many hours were left, what an insane decision gently caress that one still gets me) the biggest sin ep IX commits is taking the coolest guy in the galaxy and saying "oh he's just been depressed and hanging out on this dumbass backwater planet in his space trailer for 30 years, also he does not give a single poo poo that his best friend is dead"

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Grendels Dad posted:

Somehow... [heavy sigh] we got the team back together.

Somehow... [soul-visibly-leaving-body exhale] we managed to scrape together 14,000 ships in less than 10 hours

That smile

That damned, still-winning, smile

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Wolfsheim posted:

forget how insane lando recruiting a 5 million person resistance is in the span of like 10 hours (why did they tell us how many hours were left, what an insane decision gently caress that one still gets me) the biggest sin ep IX commits is taking the coolest guy in the galaxy and saying "oh he's just been depressed and hanging out on this dumbass backwater planet in his space trailer for 30 years, also he does not give a single poo poo that his best friend is dead"

Yeah with that kind of clout I'm surprised no one gave him a ring right after they blew up Hosnian Prime or whatever.

He mentions that he and Luke had actually been keeping in touch trying to track down where Exogel (sp? the Sith planet) is which is kind of cool I guess but of all the things to tell and not show lol

Did they cover Luke behind the scenes+Lando doing investigation stuff in any of the comics or novels?

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Sep 1, 2023

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Neo Rasa posted:

Yeah with that kind of clout I'm surprised no one gave him a ring right after they blew up Hosnian Prime or whatever.

He mentions that he and Luke had actually been keeping in touch trying to track down where Exogel (sp? the Sith planet) is which is kind of cool I guess but of all the things to tell and not show lol

Did they cover Luke behind the scenes+Lando doing investigation stuff in any of the comics or novels?

They did do a novel about it yeah. I don't really know anything about it but as with everything with the star wars 9 stink on it I assume it's extremely good https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Shadow_of_the_Sith

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Vinylshadow posted:

Somehow... [soul-visibly-leaving-body exhale] we managed to scrape together 14,000 ships in less than 10 hours

That smile

That damned, still-winning, smile

This is the saddest thing I've ever seen.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
Lando and Han are old friends but I wouldn't say their besties, they don't seem to keep in touch. Lando probably correctly assumed Han got his dumb rear end killed years ago

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

"So he left me the Falcon, right?"
"Weeeelllll..."
"He left it to the wookiee, didn't he."
"Uhm..."
"He left it to itself to live as a free ship as all thinking beings deserve?"
"Er..."
"Oh gods, he gave it to the first orphan with a sob story he came across in the middle of nowhere again?!"

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Vinylshadow posted:

"Weeeelllll..."
"Uhm..."
"Er..."
"Oh gods, he gave it to the first orphan with a sob story he came across in the middle of nowhere again?!"

lmao

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
Again? Who was the first

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Blood Boils posted:

Lando and Han are old friends but I wouldn't say their besties, they don't seem to keep in touch. Lando probably correctly assumed Han got his dumb rear end killed years ago

Closer to old frenemies from all I gathered.

Vinylshadow posted:

"Weeeelllll..."
"Uhm..."
"Er..."

Honestly I get the vibe that the Falcon is a beater full of sentimental value that's still basically a white elephant that they both secretly want to be rid of but don't want to look like they gave in

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Blood Boils posted:

Again? Who was the first

Threw that in because it sounded funny to make it a trend; maybe he'd given it away at some point in the 30 years we barely know anything about him during (like, why was it on Jakku (got stolen and passed around during 31ABY before getting given to Plutt as told in a 2017 Star Wars Adventures comic, apparently. The more ya know)

If you squint, Lando kinda did the same thing himself by betting it in the first place, so maybe it's a slip of the tongue

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
Dunno about the Falcon itself but Han having a history of poor financial decisions done on impulse because he's really a sentimentalist deep down seems appropriate.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

YaketySass posted:

Dunno about the Falcon itself but Han having a history of poor financial decisions done on impulse because he's really a sentimentalist deep down seems appropriate.

Yeah, if they actually commit to that they could absolutely get away with every timeskip having Han lose the Falcon in a card game or a ponzi scheme or ill-considered bet again. Possibly bonus comedy that half the time he gets it back in better shape than he left it and people go from 'Oh Han, you silly space goose' to wondering if he does it on purpose to save money on maintenance and repairs.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Vinylshadow posted:

Threw that in because it sounded funny to make it a trend; maybe he'd given it away at some point in the 30 years we barely know anything about him during (like, why was it on Jakku (got stolen and passed around during 31ABY before getting given to Plutt as told in a 2017 Star Wars Adventures comic, apparently. The more ya know)

If you squint, Lando kinda did the same thing himself by betting it in the first place, so maybe it's a slip of the tongue

Instead of Tales from Mos Eisley or whatever I could see Disney milking that with a Tales of the Millennium Falcon series or comic or whatever.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Mechafunkzilla posted:

I might watch the new show if it had some dance numbers

Maybe Andor season 2 will have Stellan Skarsgård and Forest Whitaker dancing the Artusi.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Neo Rasa posted:

Instead of Tales from Mos Eisley or whatever I could see Disney milking that with a Tales of the Millennium Falcon series or comic or whatever.

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Millennium_Falcon_(novel)

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
The truth about Star Wars is that it's for babies. It's for small children with half-developed brains. If you're a Gen Xer who had a quasi religious experience in the theater back in 77 and now you're rummaging through the scrap heap hoping to see Jesus' face again on a burnt out carburetor do your thing but otherwise what are we doing here?

Think about your limited hours on this earth. Maybe read a book, or at least watch something not made by dullards for dullards at the behest of dullards.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

porfiria posted:

The truth about Star Wars is that it's for babies. It's for small children with half-developed brains. If you're a Gen Xer who had a quasi religious experience in the theater back in 77 and now you're rummaging through the scrap heap hoping to see Jesus' face again on a burnt out carburetor do your thing but otherwise what are we doing here?

Think about your limited hours on this earth. Maybe read a book, or at least watch something not made by dullards for dullards at the behest of dullards.

Star Wars is cool and good

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

porfiria posted:

I just like watching the cool poo poo bro. If a Star Wars sucks I just shrug and move on like this ashoka crap. It’s not keeping me up at night

It’s hurting you though homie so maybe you should go outside

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
All art is dumb poo poo for babies. We are all babies.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Double Post

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Xenomrph posted:

Star Wars is cool and good

It's not cool, or good, I contend. The Star Wars Brand imprimatur is why it's being discussed, when really it's on the level of Pupstruction or its spiritual predecessor, the wildly successful PAW Patrol franchise.

feedmyleg posted:

All art is dumb poo poo for babies. We are all babies.

The Mill on the Floss is not for babies.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

porfiria posted:

It's not cool, or good, I contend. The Star Wars Brand imprimatur is why it's being discussed, when really it's on the level of Pupstruction or its spiritual predecessor, the wildly successful PAW Patrol franchise.
Let's be fair to Star Wars, at least it's not copaganda

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

porfiria posted:

Turn off your monitor. You are berating people for wasting their time on something, making a post on the Something Awful forums.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Grendels Dad posted:

Turn off your monitor. You are berating people for wasting their time on something, making a post on the Something Awful forums.

Posting is the most serious and adult form of action a mature and responsible human can make

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I like to kick and spit on star wars as much as anybody but surely it can be done in less tedious of a way than this, for everyone involved

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Star WARS?!? Heh, more like... uh...

STAR SNORES!!!

Haha, got 'em

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
He's right about reading books though. Reading John Milton will enhance "Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull"

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

I find Goethe's The Sorrows of Young Werther help highlight the emotional turmoil of young Anakin

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

porfiria posted:

The Mill on the Floss is not for babies.

Counterpoint: :wrong:

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

The problem with being a hater these days is that there's andor, so star wars lately moved from 99.9% bad by volume to like 99.6%. Any honest hater account has to grapple with that

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Haters should be shoved into some preservatives

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

I like when spaceships fly around shooting at each other. That's my favorite type of star War.