Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.

fridge corn posted:

Doesn't starfield come out tomorrow? Haven't ppl be able to play it early? Have any reviews come out? I've haven't heard anything about it except little snippets here and there. What is going on with Starfield?

dude don’t

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Don't what

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

I wasn't huge on Max Payne 3 when it first came out, tbh. It was my second playthrough where all the gameplay and the Tony Scott style cues all clicked with the soundtrack, and I just loving rampaged through it.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It's hosed that Tony Scott died and we're left with his Fail Brother.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Gaius Marius posted:

It's hosed that Tony Scott died and we're left with his Fail Brother.

Ridley made some good movies, he just got old, unlike Tony.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

fridge corn posted:

Doesn't starfield come out tomorrow? Haven't ppl be able to play it early? Have any reviews come out? I've haven't heard anything about it except little snippets here and there. What is going on with Starfield?

it's skyrim in space

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

it's skyrim in no man's sky

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

it's skyrim in space

It's dead space without zombies

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Caesar Saladin posted:

Are there any actual interesting things about Starfield's setting? It just seems like some basic space stuff with some ancient aliens or whatever. Compared to something as goofy as Mass Effect it seems uninspired.

you know the bugs in star citizen where the physics pushes you out of the cockpit at 500mph because you landed on a weird boulder, or where you sit on a toilet and fall into the world geometry? well, starfield has all this, and more!!!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Fur20 posted:

you know the bugs in star citizen where the physics pushes you out of the cockpit at 500mph because you landed on a weird boulder, or where you sit on a toilet and fall into the world geometry? well, starfield has all this, and more!!!

Not really though

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Duck and Cover posted:

Paying for beta/alpha whatever access for an indie title is the not the same as for paying for 5 days early access for a full priced released game made by a major studio.

I kind of agree - but playing Baldurs Gate during a weekend rather than a work evening was worth a few quid. If I had a busier Weekend, I wouldn't have bothered though.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

MarcusSA posted:

Not really though

you're right, you can't just land on planets in starfield

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

Caesar Saladin posted:

Are there any actual interesting things about Starfield's setting? It just seems like some basic space stuff with some ancient aliens or whatever. Compared to something as goofy as Mass Effect it seems uninspired.

In a few years there will be an advanced 0g boob physics mod.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Caesar Saladin posted:

I saw someone (itt maybe?) describe it as "NASApunk" which sounds a lot cooler than it appears to actually be

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Disco Pope posted:

I kind of agree - but playing Baldurs Gate during a weekend rather than a work evening was worth a few quid.

:allears:

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
The idea is you're paying for the right to market their game for them, so they'll have a crew of turbo fans out on social media singing it's praises for a week before a wider and more critical consumer base get their hands on it.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

i love how Max Payne 3 lets you cinematically keep pumping bullets into the last guy to die, until your clip runs out. just laying on the ground blasting some poor baddies face with duel pistol bullets until it's a bloody right mess.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

fridge corn posted:

its super mario brothers but with jumping

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

if you really think about it, most games are set in space

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

I'm open to interpretation!

Mr. Fix It posted:

And you play a role in those games, therefore *gunshot*

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

There are weird outlier games that are set outside space, like Antichamber and Superliminal

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Mr. Fix It posted:

And they're all fighting games

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
And compared to pong, all games are bad.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Spacewar is good, pong is mid as hell.

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

I'm open to interpretation!
As far as ball and bat games go, it doesn't get better than Super Breakout

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
nothin like a good game of bulletball

Vile_Nihlist666
Jan 15, 2009

God isn't watching you... but I am!
Real talk, Starfield is a good game so far; I daresay a great game. HOWEVER, despite being surprisingly bug free by Bethesda standards, the lack of seamless travel is really disappointing. That said, and I tested this myself, you CAN seamlessly travel between astrological bodies if you want
... it's just gonna take a long rear end time. Elite Dangerous it is not.

It honestly does get better the more you play. That said, I am NOT looking forward to crafting/settlement shenanigans. Hasn't come up yet though.

THIS SHOWSTOPPING SIGGY MADE BY JOURNEYMAN SIGSMITH Dick Fontaine

Vile_Nihlist666 fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Sep 7, 2023

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

You gotta be crazy if you ever thought bethesda was gonna pull of a seamless space travel system like No Man's Sky or The Outer Wilds

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Outer wilds was so good. You can do all the interplanetary travel to beat it just using your jetpack

I am generally completely uninterested in all space fiction stuff, but I loved that universe to death.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Vile_Nihlist666 posted:

Real talk, Starfield is a good game so far; I daresay a great game. HOWEVER, despite being surprisingly bug free by Bethesda standards, the lack of seamless travel is really disappointing. That said, and I tested this myself, you CAN seamlessly travel between astrological bodies if you want

It honestly does get better the more you play. That said, I am NOT looking forward to crafting/settlement shenanigans. Hasn't come up yet though.

From what I've seen you really can fly anywhere with enough time but the "there" you can fly to may not be the same "there" you fast travel to.
Alanah Pierce did a 7 hour stream of trying to fly to Pluto and when she finally got there it was basically just a skybox jpeg with no collision. Gotta fast travel for the game to load the real planet map in.

https://twitter.com/GhostOfSparta1_/status/1698020918562623515

Vile_Nihlist666
Jan 15, 2009

God isn't watching you... but I am!

Drunk Nerds posted:

Outer wilds was so good. You can do all the interplanetary travel to beat it just using your jetpack

I am generally completely uninterested in all space fiction stuff, but I loved that universe to death.

I just want AAA company to make Outer Wilds, but bigger. I don't think that's too much to ask. I only need 1 solar system with 10 planets, plus a couple cool hidden things. All these other games do too much and accomplish a fraction of the space travel immersion Outer Wilds does.

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

Vile_Nihlist666 posted:

I just want AAA company to make Outer Wilds, but bigger. I don't think that's too much to ask. I only need 1 solar system with 10 planets, plus a couple cool hidden things. All these other games do too much and accomplish a fraction of the space travel immersion Outer Wilds does.

Olivia Wilde, but bigger, and a RE villain

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Vile_Nihlist666 posted:

Outer Wilds wouldn't work as a big budget game but some voice acting would have been nice

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Fur20 posted:

you're right, you can't just land on planets in starfield

So what you're saying is we should all go play Star Citizen?

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

Vile_Nihlist666 posted:

How's the story and writing?

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Beartaco posted:

How's the story and writing?

I haven't done anything with the main quest, so I can't comment on that, but I'm a few hours in and the writing for sidequests seems a big cut above Fallout 4/Skyrim, but still not on the level with New Vegas. The voice acting is loads improved; it doesn't sound like the same six VAs talking to each other.

I've spent most of my time just exploring new star systems. Most of those systems - thus far - have at least one handcrafted locale and sidequest, in addition to the procedurally generated stuff.

They ditched the idea of a fully-voiced main character with FO4, which is nice, and the writing is usually fine. Persuasion is - like FO 4 - based on % chance of success, and is... dumb.

You get railroaded into the main quest early on, but I ditched that the first chance I got and stole a mercenary ship to go exploring. I stumbled on a planet which is home to a group of ex-convicts trying to build a vocational rehab center. Construction work is halted because a (non-convict) worker disappeared, and the rest of the construction crew is pointing fingers. Turns out the guy was kidnapped by bounty hunters trying to sow discord, because they're concerned that the success of rehabilitative justice would lead to reduced demand for bail bondsmen. Throughout that sidequest, there's a fair bit of nuance in how people deal with questions of circumstance, opportunity, and the failure of safety nets WRT crime and punishment. And that was for a minor questline that I stumbled on by accident, on a planet that I had absolutely no reason to visit other than seeing a settlement with a landing pad.

I'm cautiously optimistic that the main plot will be okay, but that's usually the weakest part of Elder Scrolls and Bethesda Fallout games, so...

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

edit: whoops wrong forum

Jokerpilled Drudge fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Sep 5, 2023

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Any game that prides itself on being super NASA accurate but which doesn't let you slow travel to planets because they are just skybox jpegs:

-is not actually NASA accurate
-does, in fact, sound super dumb
-might be worse than notoriously dumb and bad game no man's sky

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

You can't make a real space game in Creation or CryEngine without basically ripping out the foundations. Everything is designed with assumptions, and most game engines assume that gravity points down, the ocean is flat, and the entire playable world can fit in a few square kilometers. Croberts thought that using 64-bit floats would mean they wouldn't have to worry about origin shifts, but it's necessary for any space game.

No Man's Sky was made in its own custom engine. The Outer Wilds uses Unity but there are plugins you can buy to handle interplanetary travel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

Outer Wilds also pulled the neat little trick of setting the origin of the coordinate system to be the player's location, which does mean that when you 'move' your character in Outer Wilds you're actually moving literally everything else in the game. They set it up this way so that any floating-point imprecision happens far away from the character.

Probably wouldn't work nearly as well in a game with a bunch of physics objects that need to be simulated, but Outer Wilds has comparatively few of those.