Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009
they're turning it into a thunderdome, everyone gets a piece

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Bot 02 posted:

Oh right, why does China have a base in Djibouti anyway?

iirc it's part of some UN initiative to stop piracy

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

crepeface posted:

iirc it's part of some UN initiative to stop piracy

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Bot 02 posted:

https://theculturetrip.com/africa/djibouti/articles/10-traditional-djiboutian-dishes-you-need-to-try

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

Akratic Method posted:

Japan, China, France, and America all have bases in Djibouti. I can’t imagine that nobody is going to ensure they stay independent.

If the people rebel, what will they do, drone strike Djibouti City?

Bot 02 posted:

they need a refueling station.

I’m technically Djiboutian (happily didn’t learn Fr*nch) and this is the dumbest chatgpt article I’ve ever seen in my life.

“Laxoox, pronounced ‘lahooh’, is one of the rare foods that is widely shared between Djibouti and its neighbors: Ethiopia and Somalia. Ideally made of teff flour and sweetened water and cooked until golden on the bottom, the laxoox gets its spongy texture from little holes that form on the top when cooking”

Laxoox is a Somali food and they are confusing it with Injera (which is Ethiopian) is made with teff. Laxoox is tradionalky made with red sorghum but modern recipes use wheat. It’s colloquially called injera but they’re very different.

PawParole has issued a correction as of 14:11 on Aug 31, 2023

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

PawParole posted:

If the people rebel, what will they do, drone strike Djibouti City?

--last words of people drone striked

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

Orange Devil posted:

France is spending 200 million to buy up wine to be destroyed as the wine consumption of the French population is declining. So don't be so sure.

French winemakers have their own militant group that carries out acts of sabotage to drive up the price of wine, it's very funny: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comit%C3%A9_R%C3%A9gional_d%27Action_Viticole

Noosphere
Aug 31, 2008

[[[error]]] Damn not found.

Mister Bates posted:

French winemakers have their own militant group that carries out acts of sabotage to drive up the price of wine, it's very funny: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comit%C3%A9_R%C3%A9gional_d%27Action_Viticole

For some weird reason they don't seem to attract the same state attention as environmental militants :thunk:

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

How mutually intelligible are Afar and Somali?

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

Weka posted:

this is just speculation but i think it would depend a ton on which dialects - i dont think either language has had the kind of standardization typical in europe

e: like there was a minor scandal (or well it was reported in a investigative program) where the migration ministry had used somali translators who were not able to give proper translations because they spoke a different dialect of somali

Megamissen has issued a correction as of 22:57 on Aug 31, 2023

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

Weka posted:

Around 30 percent. Standard/Classical Somali is as related to Afar as English is to Norwegian.

Megamissen posted:

this is just speculation but i think it would depend a ton on which dialects - i dont think either language has had the kind of standardization typical in europe

e: like there was a minor scandal (or well it was reported in a investigative program) where the migration ministry had used somali translators who were not able to give proper translations because they spoke a different dialect of somali

I don’t believe this. Almost all Somalis speak standard Somali, either as a second or first dialect. There could be some very rural areas in like the deep southwest where they speak only Maaytiri, but they’re somewhat mutually intelligible anyway

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

quote:

I said yesterday there would be twists and turns in this coup, I was right.

So here’s what we know about the coup a whole day later,

- The Coup leader is a part of the extended Bongo Clan and was for years a right hand man of Ali Bongo.
- French Intelligence knew of the coup plot for weeks ahead of it, and bothered to do nothing to stop it, hence it does not threaten their interests.
- There is little outrage from the West, and little condemnation from the AU as well.

This is sadly not a coup to celebrate.

The Bongo dynasty has mutated in Gabon, but now it is a full throated military autocracy.

https://twitter.com/Kdenkss/status/1697101151756226811?s=20

https://twitter.com/Kdenkss/status/1697102501072236738?s=20

https://twitter.com/Sprinter99800/status/1697292414040387889?s=20

sounds like the new leadershiip are willing to play ball with the west

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005
Avatar blanked by Admin request.

genericnick posted:

--last words of people drone striked

quote from man stabbed

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
The African Union is suspending Gabon so eh.

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

PawParole posted:

I don’t believe this. Almost all Somalis speak standard Somali, either as a second or first dialect. There could be some very rural areas in like the deep southwest where they speak only Maaytiri, but they’re somewhat mutually intelligible anyway

looking it up again i remembered it very wrongly, the migration ministry had contracted a company to do dialect and local knowledge analysis to see if migrants actually came from where they claimed to be from and the company cheaped out so much their "analysis" found a guy from afgooye to be from somaliland
ended up getting a lot of people deported for "lying" about where they came from

google translated link

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

Megamissen posted:

looking it up again i remembered it very wrongly, the migration ministry had contracted a company to do dialect and local knowledge analysis to see if migrants actually came from where they claimed to be from and the company cheaped out so much their "analysis" found a guy from afgooye to be from somaliland
ended up getting a lot of people deported for "lying" about where they came from

google translated link
This gets dumber and dumber

1. Afgoye and Waqoiye have the same dialect, (standard Somali) Somali dialects are related to occupation, so you can’t tell where someone is from based on their dialect.

2.”She spoke a dialect of Somali not found in Somalia. But with certainty found in Kenya.”

the dialect spoken in northern Kenya is also Standard Somali. Technically there are a few somalioid languagues like Jiddu and Rendille but those aren’t counted as Somali. The dialect that women speaks is wholly spoken only in Somalia.

3. It is very likely that it is an accent from Bajuni or Moshunguru which both come from Swahili.

the eminent professor is wrong, mushungli isn’t Swahili but a dialect of Chizigua. Bajuni is a hybrid Somali-Swahili clan but Kibajuni is a Swahili dialect so he’s right there.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

PawParole posted:

Somali dialects are related to occupation, so you can’t tell where someone is from based on their dialect.

whoa

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
Does anybody have any reading recommendations on the Bantu migrations?

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

https://twitter.com/Amhara_News/status/1698414205743804487

This is a propaganda account so take it with a grain of salt

Votskomit
Jun 26, 2013
https://twitter.com/NeilColemanSA/status/1698633152057442581?t=kAICN9lReI5WyItkfdPm3Q&s=19

The universal basic income grant has been in development for a while. Looks like it keeps going forward, slowly.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
France still agitating for ECOWAS to do something about Niger turning off the cheap gold and uranium flow to France.

Good thing everything outside the western EU is a wild jungle free for all otherwise some people might get put out by that sort of colonial attitude.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

DancingShade posted:

Niger turning off the cheap gold and uranium flow to France.

that happened?

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

i didn't hear about the gold, but i wouldn't be surprised!

https://twitter.com/Africarevolt/status/1698240993898762356?s=20

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Frances whole economy is based around extracting from Africa for pennies and selling on in the EU for premium prices. They'll burn all of West Africa down before allowing that to stop.

Specifically France had very old granddaughtered in sweetheart prices far, far below market value from mid last century. This whole coup was about ending that. France can still buy... At market rates. Naturally that's very unacceptable because it would obliterate their GDP.

The whole topic has been and will remain very under reported.

DancingShade has issued a correction as of 02:58 on Sep 5, 2023

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

crepeface posted:

lol hell yeah

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

crepeface posted:

:pwn:

DancingShade posted:

They'll burn all of West Africa down before allowing that to stop.

they can't anymore, unless the US gets involved but they have probably other intentions and wouldn't mind seeing the french economy getting even more squeezed.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

tristeham posted:

they can't anymore, unless the US gets involved but they have probably other intentions and wouldn't mind seeing the french economy getting even more squeezed.

us getting owned in ukraine, germany shooting itself in the dick, uk and brexit, france getting kicked out of africa, you love to see it folks

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

https://twitter.com/GunterFehlinger/status/1698752664253628789

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?
I did not expect this twist :frogon:

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

wynott dunn posted:

I did not expect this twist :frogon:

IsraelJoiNATO

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
wtf that's not a parody account?

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
It's the real Fuhrerbunker Failhitler.

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

Pro-Abiy meme

Abiy: What do you call me?

Person 1: You’re habesha, you’re neftegna!
Person 2: An anti Amhara working to finish off Amharas
Person 3: An OLF disguised as an Ethiopianist
Person 4: They’re all correct, leave your seat (as PM)

Abiy: Call me when y’all on the same page 😂😂😂”

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

Forgot the image

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Weka
May 5, 2019

tristeham posted:

They have that aircraft carrier which they might think in combination with a small scraped up ECOWAS force can do it. Depends also if America lets them, but it is the USA's biggest African drone base so who knows. Also maybe might not have the munitions.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

broken clocks are still right twice a day

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Ew he has one of those gross dog avs too

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
France reportedly in talks with Niger for possible withdrawal of its troops

quote:

Confirming the news, former French ambassador to Mali and Senegal Nicolas Normand told Al Jazeera that according to his sources, talks were ongoing between the French and Niger militaries to “partially” withdraw troops.

Looks like the French will be pulling out of Niger soon.

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china

show us the map, Gunther!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 21 days!)

the protests at the French military base are still ongoing. so either they go Rules of Engagement on everyone or they have to gtfo.