Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

bart is the rude one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Call Your Grandma posted:

bart is the rude one
well yeah, his name is brat rearranged

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe
I watched a season 2 episode at the weekend for the first time in ages - "Brush with Greatness".

Is Ringo Starr the best celebrity cameo from the golden era?

Certainly I think his delivery of "I hung it on me wall!" might be the best celebrity line reading.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I like the more kitchen sink domestic comedy drama vibe of seasons 2 and 3, the later seasons are funnier but I like a completely sincere episode about Bart running away from home during Thanksgiving or Homer thinking he's got 24 hours to live

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

BalloonFish posted:

He was great but the story hinges on him. James Brown didn't need to be there but it's so much better that he was.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQdLwQUPQIo

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Honestly, there were so many really good guest stars in the golden years that I probably couldn't pick a favourite. Leonard Nimoy, Tom Jones, Michelle Pfeiffer, Adam West, Laurence Tierney, George Harrison, Buzz Aldrin, James Brown, Barry White, Penny Marshall, etc. I don't feel like it got especially stupid until circa season 10.

I think Bojack Horseman got the right idea with guest appearances, as opposed to later Simpsons. Thank them for doing it, but pick some light-hearted barbs too.

Cosmik Debris
Sep 12, 2006

The idea of a place being called "Chuck's Suck & Fuck" is, first of all, a little hard to believe
Early simpsons guests were often there apropos of nothing and weren't plugging anything in particular - they were just random celebrities from various eras and levels of fame. A lot of names that resonated with nerds, but also the occasional movie star. Sometimes they'd come in and have a line, and be gone, other times they'd be part of the story.

Later simpsons guests were big names you'd see doing the late night circuit, and they were either literally in the show for no other reason than they're the flavor of the minute, or they'd be *really* shoehorned into the story, typically in the form of "Lisa meets X artist" and the story would *always* suffer because of it

Despite being a huge beatles fan, Paul McCartney was the first major guest star I remember just being totally shoehorned into a show for a few seconds gag just because they could. Contrast that with Ringo Starr, who was part of the story, and George Harrison, who made two very brief cameos to deliver good jokes in an episode that was otherwise *entirely* about the beatles and they could have just had them be guest stars but they weren't (likely for cost reasons).

And while not about guest stars, it reminds me, there's the episode where Ned Flanders is revealed to be a huge beatles fan. I haven't seen that episode in a really long time, but I don't think they ever mentioned that facet of his character ever again.

Cosmik Debris fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Sep 4, 2023

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I can imagine a pernicious feedback loop happening where they score McCartney because holy poo poo what a coup for our silly little show! We never expected it but someone pulled the right strings and what were we going to do, say no? And then next year we have to try to one-up it

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
The show that handled celebrity guest stars the best is King of the Hill. Where they just voice random characters and you only find out for sure when the credits roll.

Von Pluring
Sep 19, 2003

Zelensky's Zealots
Pork Pro

Bum the Sad posted:

The show that handled celebrity guest stars the best is King of the Hill. Where they just voice random characters and you only find out for sure when the credits roll.

That's the way The Simpsons did it during the first few seasons.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Bum the Sad posted:

Later on in the run there were some instances of post-classic Simpsons-like celebrity worship, like Dusty Hill of ZZ Top being Hank's cousin, which is one of the worst episodes.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Bum the Sad posted:

Kinda rude calling Chuck Mangione a random nobody

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Later on in the run there were some instances of post-classic Simpsons-like celebrity worship, like Dusty Hill of ZZ Top being Hank's cousin, which is one of the worst episodes.
Yeah that episode was dreadful

No Dignity posted:

Kinda rude calling Chuck Mangione a random nobody

"Maybe that's because it does "feel so good" to be alive?"

"No... that's not it."

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?

BalloonFish posted:

Certainly I think his delivery of "I hung it on me wall!" might be the best celebrity line reading.

probably ties with "careful! they're ruffled!"

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Ringo eventually had to tell people that no he does not respond to every fan letter and asked that people stop sending him things.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Atlas Hugged posted:

Ringo eventually had to tell people that no he does not respond to every fan letter and asked that people stop sending him things.

I had heard about that but never knew it was a video directive

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hV8JFj17AtY

"I'm warning you with peace and love" is an incredible statement

The Great Burrito
Jan 21, 2008

Is that freedom rock? Well turn it up!

Cosmik Debris posted:

And while not about guest stars, it reminds me, there's the episode where Ned Flanders is revealed to be a huge beatles fan. I haven't seen that episode in a really long time, but I don't think they ever mentioned that facet of his character ever again.

In Treehouse of Horror X during the Y2K segment he laments picking that day to wear his Beatle boots. Couldn’t find a clip but it predated the Beatles collection

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

I’m partial to Darryl Strawberry’s multiple deliveries of “OK, Skip!”

You Are A Werewolf fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Sep 5, 2023

Cosmik Debris
Sep 12, 2006

The idea of a place being called "Chuck's Suck & Fuck" is, first of all, a little hard to believe

The Great Burrito posted:

In Treehouse of Horror X during the Y2K segment he laments picking that day to wear his Beatle boots. Couldn’t find a clip but it predated the Beatles collection

oh poo poo you're right i completely forgot about that

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Junk posted:

probably ties with "careful! they're ruffled!"

Race Bannon showing up out of nowhere gives me proto Venture Bros vibes.

Cosmik Debris
Sep 12, 2006

and nobody addresses it

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

some of my favorite celebrity guest star moments

penn and teller

"i'm not the first teller!"

elton john

"elton john!"
"that's my name! well...not really"

stephen hawking

"your donut shaped theory of the universe intrigues me, homer. i might have to steal it"

Hedgehog Pie posted:

I think Bojack Horseman got the right idea with guest appearances, as opposed to later Simpsons. Thank them for doing it, but pick some light-hearted barbs too.

i liked james garfield (the spiderman guy) falling down a hole in an unfinished halloween store cause he was curious about such a store existing in june. then there was vincent dinoffrio and his "this dinoffrio has had ENOUGHrio!" chuckle uncontrollably every time

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

I liked when the Red Hot Chili Peppers played at Moe’s and there’s that moment where Flea jumps up and hollers something in the background and it seems like they just animated Flea having a spontaneous outburst.

Halisnacks
Jul 18, 2009
While not the best celebrity appearance, Elizabeth Taylor showing up to voice a single word by Maggie was the type of thing Good Simpsons had the confidence to do.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
I think other than the Lady Gaga episode, the one where they talk up Elon Musk is probably the Celebrity Guest low-point.

Wasn't there another episode where the aliens from the Halloween episodes actually take the family away to an alien planet?

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Hedgehog Pie posted:

Character Actress Margo Martindale was great.
Just now I looked up all the guest appearances and I completely missed that Weird Al voiced Mr Peanutbutter's brother and Matthew Broderick was Bojack's grandfather.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

Cosmik Debris posted:

Early simpsons guests were often there apropos of nothing and weren't plugging anything in particular - they were just random celebrities from various eras and levels of fame. A lot of names that resonated with nerds, but also the occasional movie star. Sometimes they'd come in and have a line, and be gone, other times they'd be part of the story.

Later simpsons guests were big names you'd see doing the late night circuit, and they were either literally in the show for no other reason than they're the flavor of the minute, or they'd be *really* shoehorned into the story, typically in the form of "Lisa meets X artist" and the story would *always* suffer because of it

Despite being a huge beatles fan, Paul McCartney was the first major guest star I remember just being totally shoehorned into a show for a few seconds gag just because they could. Contrast that with Ringo Starr, who was part of the story, and George Harrison, who made two very brief cameos to deliver good jokes in an episode that was otherwise *entirely* about the beatles and they could have just had them be guest stars but they weren't (likely for cost reasons).

the george harrison bit was so loving good

what a nice fella

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
"My face! My valuable face!"

Cosmik Debris
Sep 12, 2006

abigserve posted:

the george harrison bit was so loving good

what a nice fella

It's been done

Modern Simpsons would never be so subtle

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

I’m fixing a hole… in my drywall!

Paul McIced Tea is also a stupidly great gag.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Bojack Horseman I've heard is very good but the final season is basically 'It's incredible, and you should not loving watch it if you're in the slightest emotionally vulnerable'.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
It will break you, and it's up to you to put the pieces back together. It is an awe inspiring experience if you let it all in. No joke, don't watch if you're suicidal

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Bojack Horseman I've heard is very good but the final season is basically 'It's incredible, and you should not loving watch it if you're in the slightest emotionally vulnerable'.

That’s every season.
Though they tend to end on a slight upbeat after a devastating penultimate episode.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I think Bojack is simultaneously an extremely difficult watch at times - especially if you yourself are not in a good place - and one of the best treatments of mental illness I've ever seen in popular culture. It makes jokes at the right time but also takes itself deadly serious on multiple occasions without ever becoming too pathetic. Ideally, you understand the characters without identifying with them. It can be very coarse but also a lot of fun, especially if you like stupid animal puns. I heavily recommend it with an equally heavy asterisk.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

bitterandtwisted posted:

That’s every season.
Though they tend to end on a slight upbeat after a devastating penultimate episode.

Indeed, just I get the impression the final season in particular takes that about as hard as they can. I've read summaries about it and probably had the right idea to leave it off, as much as I have a weird tendency to avoid watching the endings of shows. Maybe because I grew up with 90s cartoons and I'm not used to shows having actual endings?

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

BalloonFish posted:

I watched a season 2 episode at the weekend for the first time in ages - "Brush with Greatness".

And it's retroactively an even better joke because Ringo announced he would no longer respond to fan mail 10 or 15 years ago.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

It's from a terrible, awful, poo poo episode. But Ron Howard saying "Homer; we're out of vodka" lives in me forever.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Whenever Bojack Horseman is suggested to someone, I feel that it needs a disclaimer, more than any other show, that the first episode is dreadful and you have to slog few a few mediocre episodes before it gets good. It starts out as the laziest kind of Family Guy ripoff. By episode 8 it's a very different show. I think this may have been an intentional bait-and-switch.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

New Yorp New Yorp posted:

And it's retroactively an even better joke because Ringo announced he would no longer respond to fan mail 10 or 15 years ago.

PEACE AND LUV

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Darkest season was the one with Hollyhock and Bojacks mother. The final season was a merry jaunt comparatively.