Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

Is there a configuration of hardware to allow plex to transcode/tonemap 4k HDR/DV stuff without hicups? My transcode box is running a 1070 TI, and all my devices on my 4K TVs handle direct play fine, but I also have users who only have 1080p TVs and/or watch in browser only, and my 4K movie collection is starting to grow and replace a few classics. Ideally I would rather have one file per movie instead of keeping 1080p versions of 4K content.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

HKR posted:

Is there a configuration of hardware to allow plex to transcode/tonemap 4k HDR/DV stuff without hicups? My transcode box is running a 1070 TI, and all my devices on my 4K TVs handle direct play fine, but I also have users who only have 1080p TVs and/or watch in browser only, and my 4K movie collection is starting to grow and replace a few classics. Ideally I would rather have one file per movie instead of keeping 1080p versions of 4K content.

They've been slowly expanding hardware tonemapping support. The answer depends partially on what platform you're running the Plex server: https://support.plex.tv/articles/hdr-to-sdr-tone-mapping/. In general a recent-ish intel iGPU can handle hardware transcoding & tonemapping of 4k HDR content, but for instance the Windows server currently only supports hardware tonemapping via nvidia (though it might be possible to do it via Intel on Windows if you use WSL2 to run Docker and then run Plex via Docker). I don't have any hiccups with 4k HDR transcoding/tonemapping using an Intel UHD 770 iGPU (via an i5 13500) running Plex via Docker, but the 770 is definitely overkill in terms of what's needed for this. Can't help with how well your 1070 Ti handles hardware tonemapping but it shouldn't be hard to set it up and experiment.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Matt Zerella posted:

Ive switched to infuse and will never look back.

Same. About a year ago I switched to a "use Plex app for browsing the library, then switch to Infuse for playback" strategy. Infuse just seems to play back everything much smoother, and with better 4K/HDR/DV compatibility too.

Question about this though - this has never come up for me because all my viewing is local 98% of the time. But does Infuse only do "direct play" playback? I'm staying at my parent's house this week, and I brought my ATV4K. Most shows are playing fine in Infuse, but occasionally I'll get a 4K movie that tells me the bandwidth setting is too limited to play back this file. I have the bandwidth setting on my server capped at 20Mbps because I'm not confident in playback above that level. And when I try to play the same files in the Plex app, it automatically begins transcoding them on the fly to 1080p, as I would expect. Can't figure out why it doesn't transcode to Infuse though, unless that's just not how Infuse works?

EDIT: According to a post in this thread (https://community.firecore.com/t/infuse-and-transcoding-with-plex-emby-and-jellyfin/39088), my hypothesis is correct and Infuse will never initiate a transcode, it's strictly for direct play of the files.

OldSenileGuy fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Sep 1, 2023

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

HKR posted:

If your server is a windows machine with an intel CPU and a nVidia GPU, make sure you've selected the nVidia GPU for plex to use. It will otherwise be using the intel iGPU by default and this doesn't work for HDR under windows.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
I have 1808 folders on my movie hard drive, but only 1796 movies in plex. I know I have a few that are 1080 and 4k, but how do I cross reference the data to see what is missing?

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

The first thing I'd do is use your folder size to determine which ones are just shell folders holding a sub file, a "downloaded from LinuxMint.com" NFO or similar. Plex won't nuke the folders if you delete using it.

I've used https://foldersize.sourceforge.net/ for years (you can toggle it off, as well as it's start on system boot option) as I find the side-by-side easiest to work with, but any tree explorer or similar will do the job.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Fozzy The Bear posted:

I have 1808 folders on my movie hard drive, but only 1796 movies in plex. I know I have a few that are 1080 and 4k, but how do I cross reference the data to see what is missing?

unmatched filter

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The problem with unmatched is it’ll still miss out on things that aren’t displaying due to rights issues and the like. The tried and tested method I’ve found is to just not care about differences between file system and Plex library unless it’s become a noticeable issue.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Look for any folder names / file names that don't include the release year in them, Plex hates when that's missing.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Also, depending on how your software is set up, sometimes it will treat 'The Linux ISO' as a completely different property than 'Linux ISO, The' or just 'Linux ISO'

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

Takes No Damage posted:

Also, depending on how your software is set up, sometimes it will treat 'The Linux ISO' as a completely different property than 'Linux ISO, The' or just 'Linux ISO'

the date is the second most important part of the metadata, and you will almost never get that issue as long as you name it 'The Linux ISO (1997) [Meta data agents don't read anything in brackets so you can put whatever here. I usually do version and source]'

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I went one further and put the {imdb code} on mine through radarr, as Plex has a habit of seeing movie/year and thinking ‘hm, there’s two movies of this name that came out this year. One is a huge blockbuster that everyone has seen, the other was screened once for the directors family 20 years ago and then promptly disappeared without trace. It’s probably that one.’

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

EL BROMANCE posted:

I went one further and put the {imdb code} on mine through radarr, as Plex has a habit of seeing movie/year and thinking ‘hm, there’s two movies of this name that came out this year. One is a huge blockbuster that everyone has seen, the other was screened once for the directors family 20 years ago and then promptly disappeared without trace. It’s probably that one.’

Hm one episode of this show matches the title of a Korean soap opera from the late 90s... let's get some moon language in this server!

Took me 10 minutes to think to check the filenames and figure out what had happened :(

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Folks using Infuse, is there a way to prevent it from squashing down like library types? I have a large amount of Youtube videos off in their own TV library, but I've not been able to find a way to keep Infuse from lumping them in with actual factual TV shows.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
Oh hell yeah I love Plex, didn’t know we had a thread. Currently running a Plex server with the Arrs for media, and live tv through Jellyfin.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Warbird posted:

Folks using Infuse, is there a way to prevent it from squashing down like library types? I have a large amount of Youtube videos off in their own TV library, but I've not been able to find a way to keep Infuse from lumping them in with actual factual TV shows.

Make sure the plex library for YouTube is not checked in the library settings

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

I’d prefer to have both present, just not all jammed together.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Talorat posted:

Oh hell yeah I love Plex, didn’t know we had a thread. Currently running a Plex server with the Arrs for media, and live tv through Jellyfin.

I saw the Jellyfin app for AppleTV supports live TV so set up the server today and… oh. It has the potential to be good if I guess, but right now it’s even worse than the Plex app.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I tried Jellyfin a couple months back in a TrueNAS jail, it seemed like it was detecting stuff OK but I had a tough time getting it to actually play anything smoothly. I like that there's a FOSS option in the works but it's gonna take a while to get to where it could cleanly replace even my little $100 office hand me down Plex server.

Speaking of, I had a question about hardware encoding vs hardware acceleration. I had thought that hardware encoding could use a compatible GPU or CPU, but that acceleration is only for GPUs. Since I'm already using a GeminiLake as a transcoding device, I didn't think acceleration was available without a GPU. But I enabled it and I guess it is? It seems to drop my CPU usage to almost nothing and I get the little (hw) designation on my Now Playing dashboard, whereas with just hardware encoding playing anything would spike all 4 cores up near 100%.

tl;dr is there any reason not to have both hardware acceleration and encoding enabled vs one or the other?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Does anyone here have a Samsung QN90B? If so, how does the Plex app run on it? Can it direct play PGS subtitles? I'm reading newer LG OLED TVs can now.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Takes No Damage posted:

Speaking of, I had a question about hardware encoding vs hardware acceleration. I had thought that hardware encoding could use a compatible GPU or CPU, but that acceleration is only for GPUs
If I'm reading your post correctly, you have it backwards.

HW acceleration: Decoding in hardware. Usually not much of a drain to leave this off in any system HOWEVER if you're doing greater than real time encoding speeds that problem scales. i.e. if playback uses 5% of your beefy cpu, when encoding at 5x speed it will be using 25% of your CPU and decoding is suddenly a large chunk of your performance. Leave the GPU doing this and it has "no" impact.
Always leave on except to debug

HW encoding: Encoding in hardware. Using the GPU codecs to create the video stream "without" touching the CPU. Catastrophically faster than CPU-realm encoding with small drawbacks in bitrate efficiency. If your architecture is old (say, 10x0 series nvidia or 7x00 series intel cpus or before) then you mostly only want to use it on higher bitrate streams (8mbit+).
Gemini Lake is QSV v9.5 and you can just leave it always enabled.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

teagone posted:

Does anyone here have a Samsung QN90B? If so, how does the Plex app run on it? Can it direct play PGS subtitles? I'm reading newer LG OLED TVs can now.

I have that tv but I use an Apple TV on it.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Takes No Damage posted:

Yeah I tried Jellyfin a couple months back in a TrueNAS jail, it seemed like it was detecting stuff OK but I had a tough time getting it to actually play anything smoothly. I like that there's a FOSS option in the works but it's gonna take a while to get to where it could cleanly replace even my little $100 office hand me down Plex server.

It probably needs more horsepower than that. I have it running on my esx box and it's fine as far as playback for the most part. I even have GPU acceleration working via passthrough GPU.

It's not a featureful as Plex. On a day to day basis I notice missing things like skipping intros and credits, fast forward/reverse not working as well. I also notice that if I stop/start something quickly sometimes the entire server just goes byebye for a while. And it's not VM load, because plex is on the exact same VM and works fine when this happens. I've just not been able to trigger it while I'm anywhere near a machine to check logs/see what's happening.

The menus/navigation/visuals are absolutely not as polished. Some of the navigation seems unintuitive to me, or perhaps it's fine but it's just different than Plex which I've been using for so long I consider that to be normal/intuitive.

I could absolutely live with it if I had to, but it's just not quite there yet. Plus stories like yours that tell me it's not as compatible/easy to run as plex across different setups.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

teagone posted:

Smart features aren’t something I’d personally use in my criteria for tv selection. I accept they’re there regardless of whether I want them, and use the external box of my choosing that’ll always have better support.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

EL BROMANCE posted:

Smart features aren’t something I’d personally use in my criteria for tv selection. I accept they’re there regardless of whether I want them, and use the external box of my choosing that’ll always have better support.

Yes, I'm the OP of this thread, I'm aware of how jank smart tv apps have been, lol. It's not for me. My brother just moved into their newly built home and needs the cleanest/seamless setup possible with no extra boxes/remotes or wires in his living room at the request of his wife, hehe. I was just wondering if the Q90B's Plex app has good performance and compatibility. Lots of people seem to be happy with the LG C2/C3 OLED Plex apps though, and I figure the Q90B is in the same bracket as the LG C series OLED, so I was hoping if any goons who have the same TV could comment.

teagone fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Sep 10, 2023

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

teagone posted:

Yes, I'm the OP of this thread, I'm aware of how jank smart tv apps have been, lol. It's not for me. My brother just moved into their newly built home and needs the cleanest/seamless setup possible with no extra boxes/remotes or wires in his living room at the request of his wife, hehe. I was just wondering if the Q90B's Plex app has good performance and compatibility. Lots of people seem to be happy with the LG C2/C3 OLED Plex apps though, and I figure the Q90B is in the same bracket as the LG C series OLED, so I was hoping if any goons who have the same TV could comment.

Samsung TVs don't support Dolby Vision media, and I'm not quite sure how good Plex is as HDR tonemap transcoding it - I've had friends stream at their parents house from a Samsung TV and they've told me the colors look all trippy and weird for some of my media.

Dolby Vision media might be a niche-case for most users, but more and more movies are being released in that format, and I'd personally like to be able to play every format possible.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The Tizen based high end Samsung I had to set up the other week also meant forcing the connection to Indirect, which isn’t exactly ideal.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

teagone posted:

My brother just moved into their newly built home and needs the cleanest/seamless setup possible with no extra boxes/remotes or wires in his living room at the request of his wife

Roku stick powered off a USB port on the TV. They all have HDMI-CEC now so the roku remote will control power and volume.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Khablam posted:

If I'm reading your post correctly, you have it backwards.

HW acceleration: Decoding in hardware. Usually not much of a drain to leave this off in any system HOWEVER if you're doing greater than real time encoding speeds that problem scales. i.e. if playback uses 5% of your beefy cpu, when encoding at 5x speed it will be using 25% of your CPU and decoding is suddenly a large chunk of your performance. Leave the GPU doing this and it has "no" impact.
Always leave on except to debug

HW encoding: Encoding in hardware. Using the GPU codecs to create the video stream "without" touching the CPU. Catastrophically faster than CPU-realm encoding with small drawbacks in bitrate efficiency. If your architecture is old (say, 10x0 series nvidia or 7x00 series intel cpus or before) then you mostly only want to use it on higher bitrate streams (8mbit+).
Gemini Lake is QSV v9.5 and you can just leave it always enabled.

Think I'm just not understanding how things flow through with an iGPU in a CPU, it seems like with just encoding enabled it slams the CPU, but adding in acceleration puts the load somewhere else:

Just 1:

1+2:

Motronic posted:

Roku stick powered off a USB port on the TV. They all have HDMI-CEC now so the roku remote will control power and volume.

I run Plex through a Firestick at my parents' house and it works fine, mostly. All the menus are laggier and navigating/searching with a remote is still a pain, but not noticing any obvious issues with playback or a/v quality.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

teagone posted:

Yes, I'm the OP of this thread, I'm aware of how jank smart tv apps have been, lol. It's not for me. My brother just moved into their newly built home and needs the cleanest/seamless setup possible with no extra boxes/remotes or wires in his living room at the request of his wife, hehe.

You need to get on Team Velcro poo poo To The Back Of The TV, OP.

(Ha ha only serious)

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

cruft posted:

You need to get on Team Velcro poo poo To The Back Of The TV, OP.

(Ha ha only serious)

They even make nice little mounts for AppleTV boxes that tape to the back of the TV

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Roku’s screensaver and Home Screen ads are pretty annoying, but I’m sure most people just ignore them, or there’s some way to hide them - I know you can do some dns blocking.

I travel with one since they used to be a little better about connecting to hotel wifi while traveling.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Corb3t posted:

Roku’s screensaver and Home Screen ads are pretty annoying, but I’m sure most people just ignore them, or there’s some way to hide them - I know you can do some dns blocking.

That's a good point. I only see some promos on the right before I get into the app menu. They are pointed at a pihole box for DNS, so I have no idea how bad it may have gotten without this in the years I've had everything set up this way.

ShoeFly
Dec 28, 2006

Waiter, there's a fly in my shoe!

My Sony OLED just runs Google TV, you can sideload FLauncher to get rid of all of the ads and just show the apps you want. I’ve had no issues streaming 4K on Plex locally.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
Just getting thoughts on this.
My PC is connected to my home receiver through HDMI, audio is set through nvidia settings to passthrough the audio. I have a 3.1 speaker setup.

Playing the same file that has DDP 5.1 encoding:
Plex HTPC I hear audio out of all 3.1 speakers (receiver shows PCM - direct)
VLC I hear audio out of all 3.1 speakers (receiver shows PCM - direct)
Windows Media Player I hear out of all 3.1 speakers (receiver front panel shows "Dolby Digital Plus")

Why do you think that is?

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Takes No Damage posted:

Think I'm just not understanding how things flow through with an iGPU in a CPU, it seems like with just encoding enabled it slams the CPU, but adding in acceleration puts the load somewhere else
As above, without hardware acceleration you're requesting more video-playback per second than the J5040 chip can do. What's missing from the HTOP shots is your encoding speed. If you're encoding at 5x speed you're also decoding at 5x speed to feed the encoder data. This is presumably too much to ask of the J5040 so it's bottlenecking the encodes.

If you turn on HW acceleration it removes "all" the CPU load of decoding so you'll stop bottlenecking yourself.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell
Due to on-going disputes between DirecTv and the owner of a local network affiliate I am considering using Plex as a whole house OTA tuner provider. Is this something anyone else is doing? I'd probably want to DVR some stuff, but auto DVR isn't a critical functionality

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

Due to on-going disputes between DirecTv and the owner of a local network affiliate I am considering using Plex as a whole house OTA tuner provider. Is this something anyone else is doing? I'd probably want to DVR some stuff, but auto DVR isn't a critical functionality

I did that for years with an antenna and HDHomerun. Worked fine.

Only reason I stopped was that I moved and never have gotten around to putting the antenna back up.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

I have a tuner card on my server that I use for DVR and on rare occasion live viewing, works well. Plex documents the OS and hardware combinations they support: https://support.plex.tv/articles/225877427-supported-dvr-tuners-and-antennas/ I got a Hauppauge tuner working on Ubuntu pretty easily, only trick was adding the Hauppage PPA that provides a custom kernel with their drivers. They must do a good job maintaining that PPA because it hasn't caused any problems in the ~5 years I've been using it, even continued Just Working across a couple LTS release upgrades.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

I use an HD HomeRun and Plex and it works nicely. I mainly use it for recording a few shows and recording/watching some sporting events (World cup, Olympics, etc). The recording features are fairly robust and can remove or skip commercials if you want. If you don't have Plex Pass you will need that to use the DVR feature and get a bunch of other useful features.