Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Mandoric posted:

Getting off x64 should be a when-not-if, though. Not because it could be yanked away in a context where that would somehow be respected, but because a) it bad b) it bad c) hard wean from US software.

I agree, and it's going to be interesting when that happens, because a good third (or whatever) of humanity deciding to move away from x64 may well break its stranglehold on the industry, and I'd love to see what happens next

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

gradenko_2000 posted:

I agree, and it's going to be interesting when that happens, because a good third (or whatever) of humanity deciding to move away from x64 may well break its stranglehold on the industry, and I'd love to see what happens next

if you want to count phones, most computing is already non-x86. on top of that, people are starting to switch to ARM for server workloads since the power efficiency and therefore cloud computing cost is better

based on the way the various transitions are going in Apple, Microsoft, and :yaycloud: land, imo by the time ARM or RISC V becomes a large enough user base the cross platform emulation of x86 will be good enough for it to not matter for most people, or there will be native binaries

I wouldn't be surprised if there was a bifurcation where America-aligned countries settled on ARM for non-phones and other countries settled on RISC V for non-phones though

gamers and people who use legacy programs will continue to suffer, but they always will

Intel, on the other hand, must be destroyed

corona familiar has issued a correction as of 07:11 on Sep 5, 2023

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Ideally, get a windows emulator working on Android/ARM and the whole world can just release new computers in ARM or RISCV and users can dual boot chromeOS or android/Chinese Android. But you already have chromeOS running on x86 and Windows running on ARM.

I think when it comes down to it, the x86 platform has increasingly become a business only platform, so the US won't expand the new cold war to this area. Plus China already has a x86 hardware backup. They just need to slowly move more government PC out of x86.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
At this point the only thing the Chinese need to figure out is how to make a GPU that can compete with Nvidia and their takeover will be complete.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Moore Threads came out with a 12nm GPU early this year that's... maybe about as good as 2015-2016 GPUs. Baby steps, but they're getting there.

If Huawei is anything to go by, it's going to appear slow right up until the moment they catch up.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I'm still using a GPU from 2014 so by the time the commies perfect these bad boys I'll be able to get 2020 tier hardware for pennies. Thank you China manufacturers

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Ardennes posted:

And China clearly has the ability to push a vastly larger economy of scale if they so choose to. TSMC and the rest of the larger Taiwanese manufacturers are eventually going to have to make a choice.

if china can manufacture chips of comparable quality they can just use their vastly larger economy to outcompete tsmc everywhere that isnt a us vassal state

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Cerebral Bore posted:

if china can manufacture chips of comparable quality they can just use their vastly larger economy to outcompete tsmc everywhere that isnt a us vassal state

It is why TSMC has the choice of buckling under and trying to find a compromise or sign on to full slava.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

gradenko_2000 posted:

circuit design university student in 2040 needing to study this:

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Ardennes posted:

It is why TSMC has the choice of buckling under and trying to find a compromise or sign on to full slava.

more like taiwan has that choice, but i get what you mean

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Hmm who could have possibly foreseen this except for all of us in this very thread?

corona familiar posted:

oh no I have to convey cultural context and that makes it harder for me to slip foreign vocabulary nonchalantly into conversations to make me seem more worldly

or like treating 差不多chàbuduō as some inherently Chinese cultural philosophy or moral failure when "good enough for government work" exists

There's literally a Simpson meme of "it's not just good, it's good enough!".

Which I have used at times to try to convince nerds to stop optimizing something to get another 0.5% increased performance rather than working on something new that could add a lot more value.

Orange Devil has issued a correction as of 08:37 on Sep 5, 2023

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I am trying to imagine TSMC employees hanging all kinds of Japanese occupied government flags inside their factory and putting Imperial Japan patches on their clean room bunny suits.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Cerebral Bore posted:

more like taiwan has that choice, but i get what you mean

Let's be honest, the way Taiwan is going to go is going to be heavily dependent on where its corporations are going.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Ardennes posted:

Let's be honest, the way Taiwan is going to go is going to be heavily dependent on where its corporations are going.

yea, but i think it'll be even more dependent on where washington wants them to be

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Slavvy posted:

A universal phone chassis with easily replaceable major parts would be the true communist solution so you aren't buying a new phone every couple of years
pc industry really hosed up making easily replaceable major parts and chassis

it's like libraries existing

Bot 02
Apr 2, 2010

Dude... Did my plushie just talk?

indigi posted:

doesn't 想办法 mean "find a way"

Looking at today's world, "figuring out a way to do something" may as well be a uniquely chinese concept at this point.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

comedyblissoption posted:

same with cars allowing you to use fuel and wheels from any manufacturer.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

"thankfully" the System-on-a-Chip school of design is working to reverse that "mistake", i.e. Apple designs where the CPU, GPU and memory are all in a single package, or laptops where the CPU and GPU are in a single package, and the memory is soldered-on.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

a friend gave me a small form factor case. it was gonna give me like 5mm clearance on the gpu so I hucked it in the garbage

Votskomit
Jun 26, 2013

https://www.globaltimes.cn/page/202308/1296031.shtml

https://twitter.com/programcodebro/status/1684822221058179072?t=-OI83Nmd9810I5-VOj2Exg&s=09

Translated from Tweet posted:

Driven by Mr. Wu Wei, the Chinese contact person of the RISC-V International Foundation, recently, the openKylin community officially joined the RISC-V Foundation

I am extremely excited for OpenKylin. OpenKylin is funded in large part via Chinese SOEs, which means it is not profit-driven, but it has big funding behind it.

They are also working on various projects and had a big conference recently with many participants.

https://twitter.com/openKylin/status/1692368934534623606?s=20

https://twitter.com/openKylin/status/1692367914706288764?s=20

https://twitter.com/openKylin/status/1684853806423756800?s=20

https://twitter.com/openKylin/status/1684849287149268992?s=20

Votskomit has issued a correction as of 10:16 on Sep 5, 2023

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Ya I don't know what any of that poo poo means.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
an example of FOSS which instead of being modding tools for a videogame is backed up by parts of a state apparatus.

Votskomit
Jun 26, 2013

Orange Devil posted:

Ya I don't know what any of that poo poo means.

What if China made a free Windows using free developer tools running free apps on chips that are built on open source free standards.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Votskomit posted:

What if China ... free ... free ... free ... free ...

...but....but at what cost??

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
dear lord no, thankfully it's not a windows. it just runs an emulation layer to run windows apps

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Votskomit posted:

What if China made a free Windows using free developer tools running free apps on chips that are built on open source free standards.

Jokes on them people I know (who are definitely not me) have been running a free Windows for decades.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

it's possible I've been on the same windows key from SA mart since like 2009 but honestly I have no idea

i say swears online has issued a correction as of 10:57 on Sep 5, 2023

Votskomit
Jun 26, 2013

Truga posted:

dear lord no, thankfully it's not a windows. it just runs an emulation layer to run windows apps

Yeah it's just a linux distro, but I'm trying to keep it simple for the non-computer-touchers

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

you can buy windows keys on taobao for 5 rmb and they work just fine

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
windows, on the other hand,

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

i say swears online posted:

it's possible I've been on the same windows key from SA mart since like 2009 but honestly I have no idea

I think I'm still on keys I got from university about 2006

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Windows is practically free because the real money is enterprise licensing, harvesting your personal data for marketing and your subscription free to office 365 or whatever.

I'm also pretty sure those extremely overpriced surface laptops are helping out too. I don't know who buys those because holy poo poo just get a lenovo with all the trimmings or something.

Posted from my desktop stuffed with Chinese parts. Not a loving phone.

DancingShade has issued a correction as of 11:42 on Sep 5, 2023

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

DancingShade posted:

I'm also pretty sure those extremely overpriced surface laptops are helping out too. I don't know who buys those because holy poo poo just get a lenovo with all the trimmings or something.

i seldom see old surface "laptops" being thrown out by big international corpos when they're buying newer ones, i guess ones that have too much money to burn over not paying their workers fairly buy them lol

they're such poo poo machines too unless you go for the $2500+ ones, it's incredible

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
are they bad? i have a 2nd hand surface pro 3 that's almost 10 years old now and it does the job of minor computer touching

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
they're fine for laptoppy things like having a browser and/or some terminals open, but so's a $400 thinkpad

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

dudes opening terminals on his linux computer ~_~

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

when will china put out a free bloomberg terminal

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
The early Surface tablets were really good for drawing (especially because of how inflated wacom prices can be), IIRC in later models they switched stylus drivers to Israeli shovelware and lost that use-case

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

i say swears online posted:

a friend gave me a small form factor case. it was gonna give me like 5mm clearance on the gpu so I hucked it in the garbage

Should have hacked it and just removed the top.

PC stuff is still way easier to DIY than a phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

stephenthinkpad posted:

PC stuff is still way easier to DIY than a phone.

iunno how i feel about modular phones since the glued-together ones let me accidentally drop it in the pool a couple times a year