Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

HopperUK posted:

I like that Gonzo at the end saying "Tiny Tim - who did NOT die - " is also right from the book.

Honestly Gonzo as Dickens makes that movie for me. Being able to inject the very good prose into the movie just gives the whole thing a special tone. I love MCC.

Also very fitting given the story is pretty much narrated, Dickens himself apparently performed readings of it as much as he could, starting with for charity. It's always had a very bedtime story vibe to it, including a lot of visual elements that are very hard to do without taking major liberties to the point where it's not surprised all the adaptations tend to just use existing characters or do whatever comes to mind. Which to be fair is also valid or at least a lot of fun.

The Sabrina cartoon had an interesting twist where the characters actively stage a Christmas Carol dream via magic to try and get the rich bitch to be less of a raging bitch. It doesn't actually work, so they give up and just invite her to the Christmas party, which she's pleasantly surprised by and actually has a good time and gets along with everyone at least for one night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Samovar posted:

In Ravenous

I haven't made time to see it yet, but Ravenous sounds like an amazing cinematic experience,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=roRD4F9pg5s

That channel is a good follow for obscure history of what would become New England.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Also very fitting given the story is pretty much narrated, Dickens himself apparently performed readings of it as much as he could, starting with for charity. It's always had a very bedtime story vibe to it, including a lot of visual elements that are very hard to do without taking major liberties to the point where it's not surprised all the adaptations tend to just use existing characters or do whatever comes to mind. Which to be fair is also valid or at least a lot of fun.

GLOW had an amazing episode where the wrestling promotion puts on a production of A Christmas Carol that leads up to the Ghost of Christmas Future bodyslamming Scrooge into their own grave.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

mllaneza posted:

I haven't made time to see it yet, but Ravenous sounds like an amazing cinematic experience,

That channel is a good follow for obscure history of what would become New England.

It's got amazing tunes

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

mllaneza posted:

I will heartedly suggest you make time to see it. Incredibly satisfying film!

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Robert Carlyle hams it all the way up.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Breetai posted:

GLOW had an amazing episode where the wrestling promotion puts on a production of A Christmas Carol that leads up to the Ghost of Christmas Future bodyslamming Scrooge into their own grave.

Ghost ladies of wrestling

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

mllaneza posted:

It was... A good experience. I do feel it could have been better, but I'm not sure how. Maybe the 90s camera work was what was rubbing me the wrong way, but there seemed to be something about it which just... Irked me a bit. But I would still recommend it.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Breetai posted:

GLOW was so good.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Captain Monkey posted:

GLOW was so good.

Zroya hating being a heel at the end of season 1 and just loving eating up the boos at the end of season 2.

Liberty's Eureka moment of "it's a soap opera!"

Wolf girl doing Liza Minelli ("you'll never be as good as your mother!").

Dagnabbit there were so many great moments and nice little touches in that show. Fuckin' Netflix cancelling it was a real drag.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
RIP show that was killed before its time. There were... man there were a LOT of you

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

Breetai posted:

Legit sounds like something Chikara would have done. They did my to this day favorite wrestling stipulation, a "loser leaves the present" match.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Milo and POTUS posted:

RIP show that was killed before its time. There were... man there were a LOT of you

It's funny in a not funny at all kind of way how that's just normal business practice for streaming services now.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

My Lovely Horse posted:

I would also settle for Fury Road

Kermit strapped to the hood of Gonzo's coupe, flailing his arms in the air

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Muppet Nope would be pretty fitting actually, showbiz is the theme and all.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Would Animal play Gordy?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

BiggerBoat posted:

Honestly, a Muppet version of a famous horror story sounds pretty cool and could actually work. Dracula in particular sounds awesome but you could also do Frankenstein or Phantom of the Opera.

Muppet Hitchcock Presents
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ben7R6rJ-ZQ
(Audio only)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Baron von Eevl posted:

Would Animal play Gordy?

Gordy is obviously played by a human.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Muppets Hostel

It's just remakes of the old Wilkins Coffee commercials

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Biplane posted:

It's funny in a not funny at all kind of way how that's just normal business practice for streaming services now.

You say that like turn of the century Fox was just letting all their poo poo run for a decade.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Cat Hatter posted:

You say that like turn of the century Fox was just letting all their poo poo run for a decade.

Yeah but a lot of that was just incompetence, or blind execs living in their own world, now it's just how things are done.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Pepper the dodgeball idiot knows that you don't yell right into your microphone.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT
Something I was thinking about & not sure if it was brought up about Interstellar: there are NO animals in the movie at all. Cooper owns/runs a farm but there's no livestock - no chickens, pigs, cows, nothing. Nobody is swatting away flies or mosquitoes at the baseball game. No birds are flying, no squirrels skittering around, nobody is going fishing or catching frogs. Hell, nobody even makes any mention of pets like dogs, cats, or other critters.

We obliterated the world to the point that we have to manually do everything ourselves, including pollinating & cloning various plants for food. At first you don't really notice or pay much attention because of everything else going on, then reality sinks in & it's a big :wtf: moment.

BOOTY-ADE has a new favorite as of 01:09 on Sep 6, 2023

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Milo and POTUS posted:

Freaks and Geeks!

They cut it off mid-funk :negative:

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Biplane posted:

Yeah but a lot of that was just incompetence, or blind execs living in their own world, now it's just how things are done.

I feel like there was a relatively straightforward arithmetic to how renewals worked in the network TV era. There was a fuzzy grey area where underperforming shows might get a second chance if they were someone's pet, but you could look at the ratings and get a decent idea of whether a show was going to make it. The old syndication model meant that networks had a financial incentive to try to string out a viable show for ~80 episodes, which is a marked contrast to Netflix's standard contract practices with built in incentives to shitcan shows that get to ~30 episodes.

I also don't know how often networks filmed entire shows just to never air them for tax writeoffs, although without the Internet I suppose most people never would have heard of it happening in the first place.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

the holy poopacy posted:

I also don't know how often networks filmed entire shows just to never air them for tax writeoffs, although without the Internet I suppose most people never would have heard of it happening in the first place.
Not counting reality shows, I assume, because it’s well known that a lot of those got buried, mainly due to bad publicity or just being terrible or no good for future careers.

Other than famously The Ortegas with Cheech, I’m not aware of any shows that got past pilots (sometimes multiple) but were never aired, sold, or even burned off in the summer or by having episodes combined to make a TV movie.

Fake edit, drat: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_television_series_canceled_before_airing_an_episode

Includes Tucker Carlson’s game show.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Tucker Carlson's Mexican Pinata probably should not have made it past the rough draft phase

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

They missed one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mf9jJx0NSjw&t=3s

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

the holy poopacy posted:

I don't think anyone ever films anything with no intention at the time of airing it. A show you spent $10m on that everybody hates and will never watch is only worth about $3m in tax savings (You mark a $10m loss that reduces your income from other stuff, saving you the $10m * [21% (federal) + 9% (California)]=$3m your corporation would otherwise pay in taxes on that $10m. Better than nothing, but not as good as just keeping the $10m

Burning off shows at crappy timeslots happens when there's some contractual requirement to air it. Or if you think it's crap, but still better than whatever other filler you have for that spot.

Traditional Hollywood accounting is running the movie as a shell that transfers money to you via fees instead of as your share of the movie profit. That way anyone else entitled to a share of the profit from the shell gets screwed over. Like Lucasfilm puts in $33m to fund Return of the Jedi. It makes $480m in ticket sales. Lucasfilm-the-parent-company bills the shell $500m for services provided by Lucasfilm itself ('marketing fee', 'distribution fee', 'management fee', ...) with little/no connection between the fee and what anything actually cost. Now the film has no money left and still owes Lucasfilm $20m. David Prowse (Darth Vader) doesn't get any royalties because his contract says they come off of net profits. Lucasfilm's film-investing arm books no profit either, but their film-services arm did quite well. (There's also not anything Lucasfilm gets taxwise, every artificial dollar of loss from film investing has a canceling dollar of artificial income on services)

That all depends on there being actual profit to steal though. If Return of the Jedi only makes $20m, there's nowhere to extract fees from. Even if you stick the project with a big fake bill, it has no money to actually pay.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

The first episode actually aired (and the show got immediately cancelled) so it made it onto this list instead: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_television_series_canceled_after_one_episode

They'd already filmed another 7 episodes including a Christmas special

Edit: that list of TV series canceled after one episode mentions Australia's Naughtiest Home Videos at one point (an "adults only" version of Funniest Home Videos) and it nearly earned a completely separate designation because it was pulled off the air midway through the first episode when the station's owner happened to tune in and catch it and was so outraged by what he saw he rang the station and screamed "Get that poo poo off the air!!", and the next day he fired most of the people associated with the show and imposed a lifetime ban on the host. 16 years later someone discovered the tape which had been hidden away in the archives and they decided to actually air the entire episode in full, this time selectively censoring the more risque elements
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australia%27s_Naughtiest_Home_Videos

Snowglobe of Doom has a new favorite as of 06:40 on Sep 6, 2023

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Foxfire_ posted:

I don't think anyone ever films anything with no intention at the time of airing it.

Blazing Saddles got a whole TV show that never aired a single episode. They did it so they could hold the right, so long it was being produced. Only the first episode has seen the light of day, as a DVD / bluray extra.

https://boingboing.net/2021/03/25/the-weird-ip-story-of-the-forgotten-blazing-saddles-tv-spin-off.html

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Foxfire_ posted:

I don't think anyone ever films anything with no intention at the time of airing it.

Tell that to Roger Corman.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

IUG posted:

Blazing Saddles got a whole TV show that never aired a single episode. They did it so they could hold the right, so long it was being produced. Only the first episode has seen the light of day, as a DVD / bluray extra.

https://boingboing.net/2021/03/25/the-weird-ip-story-of-the-forgotten-blazing-saddles-tv-spin-off.html

Apparently it's not real? I want to believe though

https://www.facebook.com/OrmsbyCinemaInsane/posts/10158027501535020

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

when ferro gets ready to drop the dropship in aliens, she flexes her hand in the most perfect way before grabbing the flight stick. its a routine job but you know she loves it

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I thought it was a neat touch in Once Upon a Time in Hollywood how George Spahn has no idea who Cliff Booth is, doesn't remember Rick either and, even though he's blind, needs his nap so he can "watch" FBI later that night with Squeaky on TV. Then, later on that same night, Rick invites Cliff in to watch his old episode of the same FBI tv show.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Moon: the fresh Sam is hella tom cruise, like "yah ok" and "ehh" and "yaaa" very uptight in that ~cool~ way

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Carthag Tuek posted:

when ferro gets ready to drop the dropship in aliens, she flexes her hand in the most perfect way before grabbing the flight stick. its a routine job but you know she loves it

Colette Hiller does a fantastic job as Cpl. Fero

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MllGbvFBP2k

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Watching The Gift(2015). When oddball Gordo first leaves a gift at their front door, Robyn wonders aloud how he knew their address and Simon says he doesn't know. But in the scene where they first bumped into Gordo at the store, you can hear Simon tell the clerk their street address while Gordo and Robyn are talking. I don't think this is an example of Simon lying, I think he genuinely didn't realise. But it's still neat.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
This isn't subtle, I just think it is great visual story telling.

Mad Max Fury Road loving owns. Go watch it right now if you haven't already.

At the end of the film Furiosa needs a blood transfusion. Modern medicine knows you can't just plug and play that like a USB cord. You need a ABO type match. It is explicitly established that Max is O negative, a universal donor early in the film. How do the hooning fanatical rev-head War Boys even know about this poo poo? This type of blood has a spirtual significance for them, it's "high octane."

They even use Max as a "blood bag" for Nux, and establish that this is common practice.

Yeah but, where are you going to find what you need to do that in a desert wasteland? Well earlier in the movie, Max hosed up some Bullet Farmers and came back with a bunch of supplies. A steering wheel, a bag of who knows what, and a new shoulder harness.

That shoulder has a bunch of bullets, and some kind of med kit, with tube prominently displayed. It's been in every shot of max for the third act of the movie. You must have noticed by the time Max needs it.

The film starts laying all this ground work in the first ten minutes of the movie. And with the exception of the text of the tattoo they do it all by showing you rather than telling you. Without all this saving Furiosa from a mortal wound would be a Deus Ex Machina effectively. At some point in pre-production Miller and co realized this hole in the script and solved the problem before it existed.

deoju has a new favorite as of 02:23 on Oct 12, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Yeah I mean Fury Road always gets brought up about that sort of stuff, but it's for very good reasons. It looks to tell a really simple story and just does it really, really well. Character motivation is always very clearly established, and stuck to. If character motivation changes it shows why, and often often shows the development over time.

Everything is just really clear and well done. Honestly I wouldn't call Fury Road a subtle move at all, just a really well done one, that respects characters far more than typical Hollywood garbage.

Also you can loving tell what the hell is actually happening in the actions scenes (as well as being amazingly shot and executed).

gently caress Bay poo poo blurly moving randomly on screen, so you don't know what's happening to characters you don't care about.