Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
An upgrade to a SE to a more mini form factor would make sense, but there haven’t been any rumors I’ve seen, and to Jose’s point it won’t be a September or October release either way.

Now is the time for new $1000 (or more) phones !

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Jose Oquendo posted:

I meant more "where are you seeing these rumors." There's a few reliable sources for rumors and leaks and I've not heard anything at all about the SE.

It's always max tech

https://youtu.be/rY-fUA7JqaE?feature=shared

:jerkbag:

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Aug 31, 2023

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
RIP iTunes Trailers app and website.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
What’s the rumored “Plus” model suppose to be? Is that just a larger screen or

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Boris Galerkin posted:

What’s the rumored “Plus” model suppose to be? Is that just a larger screen or
If it's anything like the 14 Plus, that was just the 14's guts with a larger 6.7" screen, yeah. Didn't have the Pro/Pro Max features.

McJuicy
May 9, 2008
I hate the way Iphone photo gallery organizes photos. I am used to Samsung's way of sorting into folders and removing those sorted photos from your camera roll. Is their a fancy third party app that does this?

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

McJuicy posted:

I hate the way Iphone photo gallery organizes photos. I am used to Samsung's way of sorting into folders and removing those sorted photos from your camera roll. Is their a fancy third party app that does this?

Let me know when you find the app to do it. In the meantime it’s not worth the uphill battle of managing photos imo.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Apple wants you to search for the images you want using the power of AI. Embrace the Apple way.

Or you gonna be real mad all the time.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Apparently I have greasy ear holes and the Airpod Pros won't stay in my ears. I used the medium ones and switched to large and they're uncomfortable. They will wiggle out probably after about 10 minutes of use. I had Airpod 1st gens and those stayed in my ear just fine. Are there better ear tips for the Airpod Pros?

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

You’re just going to have to ignore the fact that there’s an “all photos” section. I wish Apple would port over the smart folders function from the macOS Photos app to iOS, though.

iOS’s system wide and photo search is incredibly popular though. Stop janitoring.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Sep 2, 2023

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

obi_ant posted:

Apparently I have greasy ear holes and the Airpod Pros won't stay in my ears. I used the medium ones and switched to large and they're uncomfortable. They will wiggle out probably after about 10 minutes of use. I had Airpod 1st gens and those stayed in my ear just fine. Are there better ear tips for the Airpod Pros?

Try Comply brand foam tips. There's others but I know Comply make decent quality ones (I have them for my pioneer ANC lightning headphones which will soon be obsolete)

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

obi_ant posted:

I tried SpinFits which were highly recommended and they definitely stick in your ears well. Sound quality takes a slight hit for me - still sounds great but I think the apple tips definitely sound better, but its one of those subjective things that might be okay for you. I eventually went back to the regular apple tips, because I like how invisible they feel to your ears.

The Grumbles fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Sep 2, 2023

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

obi_ant posted:

Are you inserting them into your ear canals? A lot of people try to wear earbuds with silicone tips like they do plastic earbuds.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Random question, but anyone see any discounts for iTunes gift cards for Labor Day ?

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Laserface posted:

Try Comply brand foam tips. There's others but I know Comply make decent quality ones (I have them for my pioneer ANC lightning headphones which will soon be obsolete)

Seconding this, comply tips work great for me without any kind of hit to sound quality. I use them for my IEMs as well.

The bummer is that they wear out and have to be replaced.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
My battery health is 84% but I’m starting to have to janitor usage if I know I’m gonna be out for the entire day so I’d like to just get the battery replaced now. Do Apple Stores do same day battery swap replacements?

I don’t have a car so I kinda need my phone for Uber/bus pass.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Sep 5, 2023

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Boris Galerkin posted:

My battery health is 84% but I’m starting to have to janitor usage if I know I’m gonna be out for the entire day so I’d like to just get the battery replaced now. Do Apple Stores do same day battery swap replacements?

I would suggest calling their support to find all that out, including if they have a loaner program for phones. I would imagine the ability to do in store replacements can vary by phone and the store itself.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Boris Galerkin posted:

Use the apple support app to make an appointment

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

If you set up an appointment at a store, it should be a same-day replacement and worst case they will give you a loaner.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Legit I am surprised Apple keeps loaner phone on hand.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Duckman2008 posted:

I believe they put a hold on your credit card so if you don't return the phone, you now own it :v:

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Duckman2008 posted:

I mean they’re all just refurb units in those white boxes.

I remember some 5-10 years back I had to have my phone fixed for some reason and they gave me a loaner phone. It was the exact same model and storage space but in a different color. I ended up liking the color and I am not a lawyer but the fine print said that if I didn’t return the loaner phone then they would just keep the phone I gave them and the loaner phone would become mine. So I just kept it. The store stopped calling me eventually and there was no issue with that phone being disabled or anything. I think I even traded it in after some time for the next phone. But again I am not a lawyer and it’s possible I broke some federal law and this is going to bite me in the rear end one day.

IIRC it was an officially recognized problem so there was some kind of recall program to get it fixed, so they didn’t charge me for the repair so there was no credit card to put a hold onto.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I feel there’s gonna be such a rush on battery replacements on 14 Pros in the next year. It seems everyone who has one is seeing super fast lifespan drains and it’s not even been out a year.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Is it the always on display? Doesn’t seem like that would affect anything but it’s the only difference

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

My 14 plus (non pro) is still showing 100%. But it has a pretty cush life sitting on wifi 95% of the time so it's usually only drained 10-20% by bedtime.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Mine is also at 100%, but I did get a full blown replacement for a broken screen somewhat early on into the life of my 14 pro

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

My 14 pro is at 95% but even moderate web browsing and some other light usage is enough to make me not trust it to make it through the day.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

rafikki posted:

My 14 pro is at 95% but even moderate web browsing and some other light usage is enough to make me not trust it to make it through the day.
As a Mini owner this seems absurd to me. I think you’re underreporting your moderate web browsing by a couple magnitudes.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Moderate web browsing = 45 minutes / hour

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

rafikki posted:

After going from the 13 pro max’s giant battery to a 14 pro I never felt like the battery was enough to get through the day reliably.

I’m not going to claim to be moderate though

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

Snowy posted:

After going from the 13 pro max’s giant battery to a 14 pro I never felt like the battery was enough to get through the day reliably.

I’m not going to claim to be moderate though

Yeah, I went from a 12 pro max go to 14 pro and that’s probably part of it. I’ll admit maybe my idea of what’s moderate could be skewed but I’m not glued to it, especially when out and about.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

xzzy posted:

My 14 plus (non pro) is still showing 100%. But it has a pretty cush life sitting on wifi 95% of the time so it's usually only drained 10-20% by bedtime.

You also likely won the battery lottery. Particularly good batteries just say 100% until they degrade to a certain point, when in reality they’ve gone from 110 to 100 on the expected scale, you just don’t see it.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
It's so meaningless anyway. My non-pro 14 dropped to 92% within a few months and then sat there for over half the year, then within the last two weeks dropped to 91% and checking now it's 90%. Oh no. No change in usage the entire time and I don't really notice a difference anyway.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Corb3t posted:

You’re just going to have to ignore the fact that there’s an “all photos” section. I wish Apple would port over the smart folders function from the macOS Photos app to iOS, though.

iOS’s system wide and photo search is incredibly popular though. Stop janitoring.

There’s a smart photos thing in macOS Photos??

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

rafikki posted:

My 14 Pro is at 90% and I feel like it's been noticeably worse than my 12 Pro and 13 Pro were.
I wonder what the chance of getting a battery replacement under warranty is, if it ticks to 89% before the first year is through.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

~Coxy posted:

My 14 Pro is at 90% and I feel like it's been noticeably worse than my 12 Pro and 13 Pro were.
I wonder what the chance of getting a battery replacement under warranty is, if it ticks to 89% before the first year is through.

zero

80% is the minimum health

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Considering the relatively steep drops on various 14 Pro reported, and the amount thereof, sounds like a bunch of lemons from the battery supplier.

Still at 100% here. Knocking on wood.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Combat Pretzel posted:

Considering the relatively steep drops on various 14 Pro reported, and the amount thereof, sounds like a bunch of lemons from the battery supplier.

Still at 100% here. Knocking on wood.

I feel like the SoC / iOS version just isn’t as efficient as in other model years. Even for a brand new phone, I was frequently out of battery by the end of a day, though I did switch down from an xs max to a normal sized 14 pro as the new plus phones felt clownishly big.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

88% on my 14 Pro and I feel it every day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

I’m at 93% of a launch day 14 Pro Max and while it gets me through the day it’s definitely needing a boost if I’m going to be away from a charger.