Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

not the first time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ShACteRduY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

spankmeister posted:

Earl grey is a good choice imo when you're somewhere where the other options are garbage-tier black tea or some "forest fruit" bullshit.

All tea is garbage tier.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Yorkshire Tea is the way. Yorkshire Tea is the light.

I like some loose leaf stuff at home but keep Yorkshire gold stocked in the office. Good stuff.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
https://www.kyivpost.com/post/21271

The SBU just announced that they pulled off a decently high-scale assassination attempt(or possibly actual assassination if the target's injuries kill him). It seems wild that they're operating with seeming impunity in Russian and Russian-occupied territory when, outside of the opening days of the war, it sounds like Russian intelligence services aren't managing to do anything remotely similar in Ukrainian-held territory.

Is it a matter of doctrine or, as the kids say, a "skill issue"?

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Madurai posted:

https://twitter.com/Osinttechnical/status/1698874142957752322

No cause mentioned yet, but I'll go ahead and speculate it's a mine loss.

Why does this guy think a challenger 2 once belonged to the 82nd?

That line kind of tanks his credibility.

Dick Ripple
May 19, 2021
Quick google search says they are the only brigade to receive Challengers... Plus a slew of other news articles about them having them. Do you know something they do not?

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

ASAPI posted:

Why does this guy think a challenger 2 once belonged to the 82nd?

That line kind of tanks his credibility.

Did you confuse the ukrainian 82nd air assault brigade with the american 82nd airborne division?

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Xakura posted:

Did you confuse the ukrainian 82nd air assault brigade with the american 82nd airborne division?

Yes. I believe I confused the American 82nd with the Ukrainian 82nd.

It is my credibility that has tanked.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

PurpleXVI posted:

https://www.kyivpost.com/post/21271

The SBU just announced that they pulled off a decently high-scale assassination attempt(or possibly actual assassination if the target's injuries kill him). It seems wild that they're operating with seeming impunity in Russian and Russian-occupied territory when, outside of the opening days of the war, it sounds like Russian intelligence services aren't managing to do anything remotely similar in Ukrainian-held territory.

Is it a matter of doctrine or, as the kids say, a "skill issue"?

Why does the Russian government need to "launder" money for things like this

Are they such a mafia state that they feel they have to pay all their own salaries "under the table" ?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Why does the Russian government need to "launder" money for things like this

Are they such a mafia state that they feel they have to pay all their own salaries "under the table" ?

I think it's presumably to keep up the illusion of the LPR and DPR being independent states who have bravely and entirely on their own chosen to break free of Ukraine's despotic overlordship, and not just Russian vassals.

https://www.aljazeera.com/features/2023/9/5/ukraine-to-appoint-muslim-defence-minister-amid-anti-corruption-purge

So, for anyone not following along in detail, Ukraine does have some amount of corruption in it, and during the war there have been a couple of high-profile cases involving military procurement(the severity depends on how much stock you put in random, anonymous sources, but ranges from "someone's ordering second-tier gear so they can pocket the difference between it and what's needed" to "brave soldiers trying to speak out against corruption are unceremoniously killed and buried in shallow graves." I personally believe the former is definitely the more common, if not only, kind, since it's actually well-documented). The most recent one was a bit of an embarassment to Reznikov, the minister of defense, since he had spoken out and said "I'll resign if this procurement of winter coats involves any kind of scam" after it was reported that it was definitely a scam.

He's now being replaced by a Crimean Tatar, Umerov, who's noteworthy for having cleaned up a lot of corruption in his previous posting and having an apparently perfect scoreboard in terms of not having touched any questionable cases himself.

I think it's pretty great that Ukraine is both A) taking the fight against corruption seriously and B) helping get some poorly-treated minorities represented in the higher echelons of government.

Reznikov is apparently getting a diplomatic posting in the UK since one thing he was provably great at was convincing other countries to send Ukraine some cool gear.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Sounds like Resnikov just made a bad call, but yeah, making him a diplo/PR dude is probably a good call

drat the Ukrainian government is suddenly interested in cleaning poo poo up

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

RFC2324 posted:

Sounds like Resnikov just made a bad call, but yeah, making him a diplo/PR dude is probably a good call

They've been at it for a while now

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

I think the whole "we need all our resources if we don't want to be murdered"-thing has just motivated them to move faster, plus the war has likely made some corruption more obvious, plus given Zelensky the public relations boost and mandate to deal with it in a quicker, less bureaucratic way.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

RFC2324 posted:

It's been ongoing since at least when NATO started helping after the first invasion. But I believe this level of effort may be because it was one of the pre-conditions that were added to even considering them being allowed to join NATO in the future. It was one of two that triggered Zelensky's public outbursts a few weeks ago. The other was reforming their state security services, I think.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
It's a precondition for moving closer and eventually joining the EU, and the Ukrainian government has an incredibly strong mandate to get moving.

Corruption is corrosive to armies (and defense treaties), so naturally NATO partners have an interest, but the political cover comes from Ukraine's EU ambitions.

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008

PurpleXVI posted:

I think it's presumably to keep up the illusion of the LPR and DPR being independent states
This interpretation makes no sense after Russia declared LPR and DPR its federal subjects a while ago. They now consider them parts of the Russian Federation.

e: Maybe they mean what he was supposedly doing before the war.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Herman Merman posted:

This interpretation makes no sense after Russia declared LPR and DPR its federal subjects a while ago. They now consider them parts of the Russian Federation.

e: Maybe they mean what he was supposedly doing before the war.

They still have borders and stuff.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Any time you hear HUNTER BURISMA BIDEN CRIME FAMILY bullshit from right wing media/lying fascists, just remember it goes back to diplomatic pressure to fire an attorney general for not investigating and/or prosecuting corruption years and years ago. They've been working on cleaning up their act for a good long time.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Parkingtigers posted:

The Ukrainians don't need to attack this plane, as it will only fly one more combat mission anyway.

Because when it gets back the plane will be retired.

Get out

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

bird food bathtub posted:

Any time you hear HUNTER BURISMA BIDEN CRIME FAMILY bullshit from right wing media/lying fascists, just remember it goes back to diplomatic pressure to fire an attorney general for not investigating and/or prosecuting corruption years and years ago. They've been working on cleaning up their act for a good long time.

Whose diplomatic pressure? Could you elaborate? I know at least one person who goes on and on about this and I'd love some counterarguments.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

ASAPI posted:

Yes. I believe I confused the American 82nd with the Ukrainian 82nd.

It is my credibility that has tanked.

It is kinda funny that an "air assault brigade" was issued extremely heavy tanks though.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Quackles posted:

Whose diplomatic pressure? Could you elaborate? I know at least one person who goes on and on about this and I'd love some counterarguments.

The Obama Administration was pressuring the Ukrainian government to remove their prosecutor general, Viktor Shokin, because he was turning a blind eye to corruption and going out of his way to not investigate things.

The right wing argument is that Biden, then VP, interceded to get Shokin fired to prevent Shokin from investigating Burisma because his son Hunter was on their board.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

McNally posted:

The Obama Administration was pressuring the Ukrainian government to remove their prosecutor general, Viktor Shokin, because he was turning a blind eye to corruption and going out of his way to not investigate things.

The right wing argument is that Biden, then VP, interceded to get Shokin fired to prevent Shokin from investigating Burisma because his son Hunter was on their board.

also the EU, the IMF, reform-minded lawmakers within Ukraine, and pretty much everyone else interested in anti-corruption efforts, if i recall correctly. it was not a Joe Biden plan

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

EasilyConfused posted:

It is kinda funny that an "air assault brigade" was issued extremely heavy tanks though.

Can you imagine if they just airdropped tanks on enemy positions though? That would do some damage

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Flyinglemur posted:

Can you imagine if they just airdropped tanks on enemy positions though? That would do some damage

Wouldn't artillery be cheaper?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Cimber posted:

To airdrop? Yes. Much lighter too. Unless its self-propelled then that's just airdropping tanks again :)

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

Cimber posted:

A PzH2000 self-propelled howitzer costs nearly 4 times as much as a Challenger, so dropping one of those on your enemy would definitely cost more.

Although, you could pay less for the delivery, it's a lot lighter.

(edit: too slow by a minute, drat)

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

bird food bathtub posted:

Shokin's replacement (Lutsenko) wasn't actually noticeably better, and hilariously tried to use RW noise about Shokin's firing to try to get Zelensky to not fire him upon his election, despite that being one of Ze's campaign promises, and, well, changing of ministers being kinda normal when a different party takes power?

Part of the problem was that this being involved in US politics meant a bunch of coverage came from Washington correspondents and not those that usually cover Ukraine, so a bunch of them apparently got taken for a ride.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

EasilyConfused posted:

It could be that the "from 82nd air assault brigade" referred to who was taking the video, rather than the ownership of the tank.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Madurai posted:

It could be that the "from 82nd air assault brigade" referred to who was taking the video, rather than the ownership of the tank.

the 82nd air assault brigade indeed operates challenger 2s etc. i believe the russian vdv similarly operate alongside tanks, because aint nobody doing paradrops or air assaults in ukraine right now. air assault is just a signifier for "shock troops" on both sides.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Yeah what are you expecting them to do, ride into battle with all 18 of the Mi-8s that Ukraine probably still has left?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Russia recently donated an Mi-8 :q:

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

spankmeister posted:

Russia recently donated an Mi-8 :q:

Oof

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

OctaMurk posted:

the 82nd air assault brigade indeed operates challenger 2s etc. i believe the russian vdv similarly operate alongside tanks, because aint nobody doing paradrops or air assaults in ukraine right now. air assault is just a signifier for "shock troops" on both sides.

As a completely off-topic question, what actually determines brigade numbers like the "82nd"? I can't imagine they're just consecutive and Ukraine has 82 Air Assault Brigades.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

PurpleXVI posted:

As a completely off-topic question, what actually determines brigade numbers like the "82nd"? I can't imagine they're just consecutive and Ukraine has 82 Air Assault Brigades.

As far as I can tell there is no real rhyme or reason to it. Some of the numbers seem to be inherited from successor units to Soviet formations, some of them seem to be sort of sequential? There are 79th, 80th, and 81st brigades in the Ukrainian Air Assault Forces, but also a 95th Air Assault brigade. and the 81st is an air mobile brigade not Air Assault, so I have no idea. All those predate the 2022 invasion, but the 82nd is an entirely new formation.There is a 1st Special Purpose brigade, a 1st Tank Brigade, a 3rd Separate Assault Brigade and a 3rd Tank brigade, even a 4th, 5th and 17th Tank brigades, but no 2nd tank brigade that I can find.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Order_of_battle_for_the_Russian_invasion_of_Ukraine#Ukrainian_forces
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Structure_of_the_Armed_Forces_of_Ukraine#Joint_Forces_Command

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

eke out posted:

also the EU, the IMF, reform-minded lawmakers within Ukraine, and pretty much everyone else interested in anti-corruption efforts, if i recall correctly. it was not a Joe Biden plan

Can confirm. My former agency (won’t say which one to prevent doxxing) was involved in Ukrainian anti-corruption efforts before the war, and as a result it was one of the few countries in the world where we had a close protection detail for certain people in our country office. For context, we also operated in places like Central African Republic and South Sudan, and no one had a detail there.

At the risk of sparking a derail, it’s pretty plain and obvious that Hunter Biden used his last name and Dad’s status as VP to enrich himself via Burisma. Don’t hate the player, hate the game- this is basically how DC works, and it’s pretty :ironicat: for Democrats to pretend otherwise as if there aren’t a loving ton of lawmakers on both sides of the aisle who came into Congress with middling wealth and are millionaires now. At least it wasn’t as transparent as Jared Kushner taking an obscene amount of Gulf money.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

pantslesswithwolves posted:

At the risk of sparking a derail, it’s pretty plain and obvious that Hunter Biden used his last name and Dad’s status as VP to enrich himself via Burisma. Don’t hate the player, hate the game- this is basically how DC works, and it’s pretty :ironicat: for Democrats to pretend otherwise as if there aren’t a loving ton of lawmakers on both sides of the aisle who came into Congress with middling wealth and are millionaires now. At least it wasn’t as transparent as Jared Kushner taking an obscene amount of Gulf money.

So background: I am just a rando Ukrainian-American (e.g. an immigrant), but when Hunter Biden + Burisma thing happened my reaction was basically: "600 grand? That's progress! Ukraine may be moving towards small-scale American corruption. (Ukrainian oligarchs have been known to embezzle billions)."

Like Burisma itself is basically small-time, too, the real grift attempt involve the national gas company. (And a few high-ranking GOPers tried to get in on that).

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

PurpleXVI posted:

It’s such a clusterfuck that I don’t think anyone even knows. I think the US 82nd was originally a light infantry division, and they (along with the 101st) got chosen to be AIRBORNE!! in WWII (when it was a new thing). They could’ve been consecutive at one point, but between founding, disbanding, and reflagging (changing the name and keeping the personnel intact) it’s a massive clusterfuck. That’s before you even get into the regiment system, which a lot of units still retain up to the battalion level. For example…

1st brigade of the 25th infantry division had (when I was there):

1st battalion, 5th infantry regiment
1st battalion, 24th infantry regiment
3rd battalion, 21st infantry regiment
5th squadron, 1st cavalry regiment

It’s a goddamned mess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Sort of an inadvertent three pigs 1,2, and 4 situation. Enemy can't tell your true strength if you can't even keep the numbering straight