Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Will Stereotype
This poll is closed.
fall in love? 10 8.33%
have a transcendent life altering experience that elevates their consciousness to a higher state? 14 11.67%
take some cool photos? 7 5.83%
get jumped and sent to the hospital by furries? 32 26.67%
waste his time and money? 57 47.50%
Total: 120 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

MLK Ultra
Mar 9, 2021

theflyingexecutive posted:

my camp got an official reprimand for leaving behind three pistachio shells and a couple stands of plastic fiber (from a tarp that had shredded)

someone please find me a cleaner gathering of 80,000 people, because most of them look like this

i'm sorry what part of LNT didn't you understand

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

they be shooting mud after the fleet hits

MLK Ultra
Mar 9, 2021

leave!

no, trace!

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

thiel's got guys watching the thread and if any of the burners stop defending it they'll get sent to the piss slave tent (punishment) rather than the piss slave tent (reward)

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
They should have emptied the portashitters into the bottom tier of the BitCube for stability.

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

portapotties... on the block chain!

Poppers
Jan 21, 2023

Hell why not :cheers:

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Ohtori Akio posted:

they absolutely got some retarded undergrad to do the math assuming all the lashing was done perfectly with new materials on a good foundation lol

I’ve seen folks do this with high consequence hazardous materials( I’ll not name which haz). we picked a fight over it. they dropped them in another port later and made the news.

the ibcs are lashed together externally with metal

what is the WWL or MSL of that lashing? particularly those IBC cages how strong are those points they are leading those metal lashings from?

my man it’s my job to say how and why ya hosed when lashing cargo. if you climbed that thing you did something incredibly dangerous I would recommend requesting a copy of the calculations, the engineering packet for the IBC cube. you should be pissed at these people telling you that was in any way safe.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

like I’m not trying to gently caress with you here. if you went up on that thing someone endangered your life in reckless and negligent way.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

someone please find me a cleaner gathering of 80,000 people, because most of them look like this

no mate, you stay right there with your kind.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

my camp got an official reprimand for leaving behind three pistachio shells and a couple stands of plastic fiber (from a tarp that had shredded)

lol imagine if you and your buddies failed at “stand in a line and walk forward while looking at the dirt” and your instinct was gotta post about it

The Atomic Man-Boy
Jul 23, 2007

Arguing about metal lashings and structural integrity misses the fact that a bunch of VC people thought it was artistic to stack a bunch of IBCs in the mud, and people thought it would be cool to climb on it. No part of it was cool or interesting.

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

Poppers posted:

Hell why not :cheers:

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

That's in the middle of a city. You're in a fragile ecosystem. I bet it didn't take them a month to clean that up either.

ohrwurm
Jun 25, 2003

Pentecoastal Elites posted:

thiel's got guys watching the thread and if any of the burners stop defending it they'll get sent to the piss slave tent (punishment) rather than the piss slave tent (reward)

thiel once again dodging consequences for anything yet reaping all the rewards

Joey Steel
Jul 24, 2019
Its actually totally fine to go to Burning Man if that's your jam.

Most of the burny types I used to know were super inclusive, creative, and kind individuals with varied interests.

I dont think these folks think their "thing" has been ruined or totally co-opted because someone with a bigger net worth dared exist outside of their $7000/mo apartment.

Its literally just a festival at this point, and has been just that for decades.

- a good take from the GBS thread.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

lol, all art at burning man has to clear safety engineering analysis, even down to the art cars and must be rated for 100mph gusts on all shear axes at load. the ibcs are lashed together externally with metal

artists here are aware of wind and that people will climb an obviously climbable structure.
out of all the naivety ive seen posted on these forums, this right here rivals groverhaus or doombathroom stuff.

i know people who do burnout art poo poo and the idea that "theyre doing calculations" is so hilariously certifiably insane. heres a hint:: it's a dont ask-dont tell for legal liability that they just say "ya make sure that its safe, no you dont have to provide it. your pinky promise is good enough for us" that they know people aren't but as long as they can pawn off some semblance of liability of like 'hey mannn we require everyone to make sure they're safe, not our fault someone died its the guy who made it's fault'

The Atomic Man-Boy posted:

fact that a bunch of VC people thought it was artistic to stack a bunch of IBCs in the mud, and people thought it would be cool to climb on it. No part of it was cool or interesting.
also this, it's insanely lazy artistically and stupid lol

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Joey Steel posted:

syq for this part, I found the rest

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
thanks for the gbs report

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Joey Steel posted:

Its actually totally fine to go to Burning Man if that's your jam.

Most of the burny types I used to know were super inclusive, creative, and kind individuals with varied interests.

I dont think these folks think their "thing" has been ruined or totally co-opted because someone with a bigger net worth dared exist outside of their $7000/mo apartment.

Its literally just a festival at this point, and has been just that for decades.

I dunno sounds like it kinda sucked this year

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

I hope anyone exiting their $7000 apartment gets mauled by wild dogs and I hope those dogs become the president

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Xaris posted:

heres a hint:: it's a dont ask-dont tell for legal liability that they just say "ya make sure that its safe, no you dont have to provide it. your pinky promise is good enough for us" that they know people aren't but as long as they can pawn off some semblance of liability of like 'hey mannn we require everyone to make sure they're safe, not our fault someone died its the guy who made it's fault'

if there isn’t an independent third party review the engineering packet is just whatever the artist wants it be.

it’s very much like the sub guy making GBS threads on class societies.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
praying for a safe return for all our overpaid facebook computer touchers and venture capitalists to return to work tomorrow to better figure out how to raise rents and invent new gig apps

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Xaris posted:

also this, it's insanely lazy artistically and stupid lol

Boy are you goons gonna feel silly when you find realize that installation was from the year with 'cargo cult' as its theme! Betcha feel real goofy now that you know that dangerous eyesore was super clever

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

Man it was worth it to go hang out with the most stupid evil worthless humans alive. Glad I emptied all those balls

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It’s a music festival that got rained out, but that wouldn’t be nearly so funny without the reaction of participants denying that it’s a music festival that go rained out.

It’s not blood. It’s victory wine.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

Ngl doing acid in the desert and getting the clap from some raver bussy sounds kinda fun

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
you dont need to pay hundreds of dollars and rub shoulders with software engineers to do drugs and have sex at a rave in a cool location

ohrwurm
Jun 25, 2003

not many people can say they shared an overflowing porta potty with noted ancom grover norquist

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
im permabanned poster statestomper58. i first started attending burning man when i was about 12. by 14 i got really obsessed with the concept of "anarchy" and tried to channel it constantly, until my thought process got really bizarre and i would repeat things like "mutual aids" and "i love making GBS threads inside portaloos anarcho communistically" in my head for hours, and i would get really paranoid, start seeing things in the corners of my eyes etc, basically prodromal schizophrenia. im now on antipsychotics. i always wondered what the kind of "anarchist" style of burning man partying was all about; i think it's the unconscious leaking in to the conscious, what jungian theory considered to be the cause of schizophrenic and schizotypal syptoms. i would advise all people who "get" burning man to be careful because that likely means you have a predisposition to a mental illness. peace.

Weka
May 5, 2019

Bar Ran Dun posted:

if there isn’t an independent third party review the engineering packet is just whatever the artist wants it be.

dang I thought you meant class societies politically for a second, had to look it up. I like the shipping posts but please don't trick me.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
its kind of miraculous burning man hasnt had a mass casualty incident yet. just one or two casualty incidents

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord

Weka posted:

im permabanned poster statestomper58. i first started attending burning man when i was about 12. by 14 i got really obsessed with the concept of "anarchy" and tried to channel it constantly, until my thought process got really bizarre and i would repeat things like "mutual aids" and "i love making GBS threads inside portaloos anarcho communistically" in my head for hours, and i would get really paranoid, start seeing things in the corners of my eyes etc, basically prodromal schizophrenia. im now on antipsychotics. i always wondered what the kind of "anarchist" style of burning man partying was all about; i think it's the unconscious leaking in to the conscious, what jungian theory considered to be the cause of schizophrenic and schizotypal syptoms. i would advise all people who "get" burning man to be careful because that likely means you have a predisposition to a mental illness. peace.

:pirate:

Mr. Barnesworth
Jun 28, 2008

I said GOOD DAY, sir!
broke: static loads while watching the sunset
woke: harmonic vibrations when the bass drops

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Bar Ran Dun posted:

I had to think through multiple sub guys that murdered people

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Bar Ran Dun posted:

some rear end in a top hat did “the math” (by this I mean checked stack weight) but lol there is bunch of math that wasn’t even on their radar. a good good wind with folks up ontop is almost certainly a fail state for that thing.

I used to do occasional work for a company that makes giant art installations for festivals and safety simply wasn't on their radar even though they were making huge sculptures that would be in very close proximity to the general public. One time they made a 8m tall / 2m wide sculpture which was going to be used as part of an event but before the performance kicked off the general public were allowed to walk around the performance space, so there was this gigantic unsecured thing wobbling dangerously in the wind with a whole lot of kids crowded around it. The production company just didn't give a gently caress ("We don't have time to do anything about that!") so I ended up standing next to it and steadying it every time it looked like falling over so no one got injured.
Another time I visited their production office and they excitedly showed me their lovely sketches for a planned 20m tall object which had a slightly flared base but was otherwise unsecured. That time I actually yelled at them and told them they were going to end up killing someone but they just blew me off, luckily the festival organisers changed their minds and that project didn't go ahead.

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

Burning Man having any adequate safety standards is the dumbest thing that has been posted in this thread

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

lol, all art at burning man has to clear safety engineering analysis, even down to the art cars and must be rated for 100mph gusts on all shear axes at load. the ibcs are lashed together externally with metal

artists here are aware of wind and that people will climb an obviously climbable structure.

this gently caress dome is uncollapsible, god himself couldn't collapse it!

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Theater Adult Summer Camp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

this sounds like it was decent a decade ago when it wasent packed to the brim with garbage hedge fund losers and others