Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Khanstant posted:

Quick we gotta make a game that might've look impressive in 2002

Eh, 2016 is fair I think, it's pretty enough. Or at least it looks competent for a 7-10 yo game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plan R
Oct 5, 2021

For Romeo

sebmojo posted:

Eh, 2016 is fair I think, it's pretty enough. Or at least it looks competent for a 7-10 yo game.

It's been done, it's called Spacebourne2.

Bushboy2000
Jul 19, 2022
Monocle Cat is gonna be real pissed, if Bethesda release a StarField Online MMO.

It would probably follow on from the current StarField Single player.

Also, the SF Grav Jump is not a loading screen, its a Teleport.
A player flew 16 hours, real time, to get to Pluto.

Edit: my bad, 7 hours, soz

Bushboy2000 fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Sep 4, 2023

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Bushboy2000 posted:

Monocle Cat is gonna be real pissed, if Bethesda release a StarField Online MMO.

It would probably follow on from the current StarField Single player.

Also, the SF Grav Jump is not a loading screen, its a Teleport.
A player flew 16 hours, real time, to get to Pluto.

Edit: my bad, 7 hours, soz

Can taste the verisimilitude

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
sound
https://i.imgur.com/9x5gTFg.mp4

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Do you all occasionally stop and marvel at the fact that this has been a page one thread for like a decade +?"

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Eifert Posting posted:

Do you all occasionally stop and marvel at the fact that this has been a page one thread for like a decade +?"

Senethro
May 18, 2005

I unironically think I'm Garret, Master Thief.
Because this thread is about nothing, this allows it to be about everything, and so it never runs out of content.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Eifert Posting posted:

This thread was what brought me first to SA and for that I will always have a place in my heart for Christopher Croberts

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018

Senethro posted:

Because this thread is about nothing, this allows it to be about everything, and so it never runs out of content.

It's a dreamy thread, really.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Sandepande posted:

It must be fun. Somebody was on Steam forums declaring that woke nazis are going to murder all "normal" people.

That's what the steam nazis want to do so they just assume everyone else thinks the same way.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

Sandweed posted:

That's what the steam nazis want to do so they just assume everyone else thinks the same way.

Projection is the defining quality of these nazis.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Eifert Posting posted:

I mean it was kinda less impressive when there was a dedicated subforum to Scam Citizen :v:

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

I guess it's just a space game thing?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Finally, proof that those bastards at Bethesda stole Star Citizen's cutting edge technology!

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

I think Bethesda was doing this long before CIG. But I could be wrong.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

"O Captain my Captain!"

JammyB
May 23, 2001

I slept with Mary and Joseph never found out
So pleased to see that they had time to get 'the floor is lava' mini-game in.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I will admit when the first spaceship videos came out I thought about dropping like 50 dollars.

"Holy poo poo, you lay in the bed and there's a giant window looking out into space. That's rad."

Thankfully even I could tell this was vaporware in like 2012 or whenever.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

space exploration IRL is boring so why would a video game of it be any fun?

there's a reason sci fi either does FTL travel or sleep pods. space fuckin sucks it's literally nothing. and most planets are dumb piles of rocks.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

smoobles posted:

there's a reason sci fi either does FTL travel or sleep pods. space fuckin sucks it's literally nothing. and most planets are dumb piles of rocks.

Yeah but what if space exploration was great and you get a decent ship for that for the low price of 650 dollars plus tax? That's the beauty of the dream

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

smoobles posted:

I was watching a review of Starfield and the reviewer basically said that space games should just give up on the idea that space exploration is fun and skip to the good sci-fi stuff; and I really agree with them.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

the map size should serve the narrative. RDR2 is a good example.

if your map size is "infinity" then your storyline better be infinite and at the VERY LEAST let me have sex with an alien, something Starfailed doesn't seem to understand

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

colonelwest posted:

I was watching a review of Starfield and the reviewer basically said that space games should just give up on the idea that space exploration is fun and skip to the good sci-fi stuff; and I really agree with them.

I did Space Exploration for 3 hours in Elite Dangerous and then basically never again. Played No Man’s Sky for the “main plot” and realized that space exploration sucks rear end.

Oh cool a proc gen world with 86.82 inclination and a green monkey and a high percentage of CHCN or some other poo poo the scanner says.

I think it would need to be part of the main plot, which Mass Effect Andromeda hints at but kind of drops the ball as everything is on rails and everywhere you go is chock full to the gills of hostile alien empires. Would end up being either irrelevant overall or have to create some serious branching storylines if the exploration actually mattered in some way.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

even the best sci fi films are great because they tell good stories, not "look at this crazy rear end planet yo" and video games are no different

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
I think space exploration is neat if you have some really wild and interesting planets but most space games would rather have 10,00 generic planets that exactly one landmark on each cause games these days are all about having the biggest possible game world no matter how bad it is to get around in.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
The benchmark for exploration games for me is Subnautica, a tightly focussed exploration and story driven game where the actual traversable space is pretty small, but the areas are gatekept by depth/oxygen/creature limits that you get passed by getting better tech which you get from pushing those boundaries and discovering the story along the way.

Space is too big for that too much space to fill, even one planet is huge.

In conclusion space sucks, underwater rules.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

Eifert Posting posted:

I will admit when the first spaceship videos came out I thought about dropping like 50 dollars.

"Holy poo poo, you lay in the bed and there's a giant window looking out into space. That's rad."

Thankfully even I could tell this was vaporware in like 2012 or whenever.

I would occasionally stumble over SC in the wild years back and was intrigued, but every time I got bad vibes when I went to the website. I really don’t like products that are marketed as if they were a real thing part of our world, and not, you know, pop-culture media manufactured for profit. It just weird me out, I have the same problem with The Boys and how it’s marketed beyond the regular trailers.

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

Space Games should mix the two genres of:

Survivalism and Character Drama.

Being enclosed in a space with other characters is classic setup for character drama. Excellent vehicle for a video game to explore, with good characterization and writing [so never].

And the gameplay portion of the game could be about survivalism. Travelling between planets/space stations/other spacecraft extracting resources to basically just survive. The choices you make as you encounter X drive the personal drama of the people on the ship.

That's my if I win the lottery and creating a game company game design idea.

I'm pretty sure thats the plot for SQ42.

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

Front page of r/starcitizen has a post, "How often do you play star citizen?"

The top reply posted:

Play the new patch, hope it's slightly better, die or crash due to a bug which should never have made it past basic QT, gently caress it off till next patch. Repeat for (god nearly 5) years now. I won't give up hope!

(Yes I file bug reports)
Backers seem so resigned, it's weird.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
The problem is what is X

X is the unknown stuff you discover right?

In real world exploration X is a lifeform/landscape/process/human created thing that nature/people created over billions/thousands of years of complex interactive processes, a new species of hummingbird, a sunken ship/lost city a stunning waterfall or crystal formation etc

In games like Subnautica, all this stuff is basically hand made and hand placed (with some randomisation of location for new playthroughs) and this is possible because the game has a start and an end and is set in a few cubic km.

In and endless space game you can't really do this the space is too vast, even one planet or moon, and you end up with procgen stuff that is ultimately dull the second after you've seen it, there can be no real discovery because the procgen is just not capable of making stuff you can't anticipate. So you end up with No Mans Sky etc.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

BigglesSWE posted:

I would occasionally stumble over SC in the wild years back and was intrigued, but every time I got bad vibes when I went to the website. I really don’t like products that are marketed as if they were a real thing part of our world, and not, you know, pop-culture media manufactured for profit. It just weird me out, I have the same problem with The Boys and how it’s marketed beyond the regular trailers.

Yeah I was kind of interested in SC back in the early days, and flirted with backing it, but I was a poor college student then and barely had money for released games so I never pulled the trigger. By the time I had some spending money it was 2016 and I discovered Bootcha’s videos and this thread when I did some research on the project.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

jarlywarly posted:

The problem is what is X

X is the unknown stuff you discover right?

In real world exploration X is a lifeform/landscape/process/human created thing that nature/people created over billions/thousands of years of complex interactive processes, a new species of hummingbird, a sunken ship/lost city a stunning waterfall or crystal formation etc

In games like Subnautica, all this stuff is basically hand made and hand placed (with some randomisation of location for new playthroughs) and this is possible because the game has a start and an end and is set in a few cubic km.

In and endless space game you can't really do this the space is too vast, even one planet or moon, and you end up with procgen stuff that is ultimately dull the second after you've seen it, there can be no real discovery because the procgen is just not capable of making stuff you can't anticipate. So you end up with No Mans Sky etc.

I mean that's also the trick, is that people who say they want "a game with exploration" are using a term so nebulous that it's effectively meaningless. Some people are at one end of a scale of "exploration" where games like No Man's Sky or Elite Dangerous really are what they want-- it's not about it being exciting per se, it's literally exploration for it's own sake and the only thing that matters is the volume of the sandbox, and those people are still actively playing those games, and would be regardless of a continual trickle of non-exploration content updates (like NMS) or a lack thereof (like Elite Dangerous)

And on the other side of the definitional scale, linear corridor shooters like Doom or Dead Space get praised for "excellent exploration" because sometimes when you hit the use key on a wall it's a door. That is still exploration too, but you can't just say your game "has exploration" without someone who wanted a different flavor of it being disappointed.

All that applies to exploration but also "stuff to do" in general for the space genre, but that's the usual weakness of combining "open world" with any genre, really. A lot of people who claim to want "an open world sandbox" really just want a dungeon master to hand curate A Bespoke Experience Like That Movie I Liked without visible rails, and also make sure it's interesting, and make sure I get cast as the Han Solo character, and also make sure I win and everyone else has to talk about how cool I am.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

I mean that's also the trick, is that people who say they want "a game with exploration" are using a term so nebulous that it's effectively meaningless. Some people are at one end of a scale of "exploration" where games like No Man's Sky or Elite Dangerous really are what they want-- it's not about it being exciting per se, it's literally exploration for it's own sake and the only thing that matters is the volume of the sandbox, and those people are still actively playing those games, and would be regardless of a continual trickle of non-exploration content updates (like NMS) or a lack thereof (like Elite Dangerous)

And on the other side of the definitional scale, linear corridor shooters like Doom or Dead Space get praised for "excellent exploration" because sometimes when you hit the use key on a wall it's a door. That is still exploration too, but you can't just say your game "has exploration" without someone who wanted a different flavor of it being disappointed.

All that applies to exploration but also "stuff to do" in general for the space genre, but that's the usual weakness of combining "open world" with any genre, really. A lot of people who claim to want "an open world sandbox" really just want a dungeon master to hand curate A Bespoke Experience Like That Movie I Liked without visible rails, and also make sure it's interesting, and make sure I get cast as the Han Solo character, and also make sure I win and everyone else has to talk about how cool I am.

Some games have a UI so convoluted that accessing your inventory counts as exploration.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

Hizawk posted:

Space Games should mix the two genres of:

Survivalism and Character Drama.

Being enclosed in a space with other characters is classic setup for character drama. Excellent vehicle for a video game to explore, with good characterization and writing [so never].

And the gameplay portion of the game could be about survivalism. Travelling between planets/space stations/other spacecraft extracting resources to basically just survive. The choices you make as you encounter X drive the personal drama of the people on the ship.

That's my if I win the lottery and creating a game company game design idea.

I'm pretty sure thats the plot for SQ42.

Speaking of character drama, did they ever make an Expanse video game? Seems ripe for it. Yes, I just finished watching the show for the first time a few months ago.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

https://telltale.com/the-expanse/

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Fidelitious posted:

Speaking of character drama, did they ever make an Expanse video game? Seems ripe for it. Yes, I just finished watching the show for the first time a few months ago.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/476530/Children_of_a_Dead_Earth/ is as close as it gets, though it's about the art of space warfare, not character drama. It's the one game that doesn't shy away from the reality of space travel and eventual warfare, and it's completely awesome. If you wait for sales, it tends to go for less than a fiver.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

There's a game from the rebooted telltale I think. I haven't paid much attention to it after the original telltale imploded due to bad management.

Fairly sure it's the same folks in charge of the new one.

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

colonelwest posted:

Yeah I was kind of interested in SC back in the early days, and flirted with backing it, but I was a poor college student then and barely had money for released games so I never pulled the trigger. By the time I had some spending money it was 2016 and I discovered Bootcha’s videos and this thread when I did some research on the project.

I remember looking at the kickstarter and thinking "oh, I'd pay a few bucks for a retro Wing-Commander-alike," but immediately being put off by the MMO/Star Citizen emphasis (I just don't like MMOs, it's the same reason I passed on Elite Dangerous).

Then a while later, I caught word of how Star Citizen was going and just got fascinated by how hosed up it all was. I wish I could say that I felt smug about not falling for their pitch, but honestly, if they'd had a tier that had just been Squadron 42 without Star Citizen, I might've given Chris money without realizing I was never gonna get anything in return for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Trilobite posted:

I remember looking at the kickstarter and thinking "oh, I'd pay a few bucks for a retro Wing-Commander-alike," but immediately being put off by the MMO/Star Citizen emphasis (I just don't like MMOs, it's the same reason I passed on Elite Dangerous).

This is the reason I backed the original thing at the lowest tier.

"Hey can I just have basically a spiritual sequel to wing commander prophecy or privateer please and thanks :downs:"

I still hold out hope to this day.