Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Comes up in the R/relationships thread a LOT that people will food allergies constantly have to deal with SOs/in-laws/family members trying to 'test' them and mess with their food or force them to eat what they've repeatedly stated they're dangerously allergic to.

I am “intolerant” of basically anything from the ocean. It hasn’t tried to kill me yet, but it does make me quite sick. I used to say that, because it felt weird saying I’m allergic when I am not, and the amount of insane poo poo people would do was appalling. Now I just tell restaurants I am allergic and that helps a little bit.

My girlfriend’s Vietnamese family has absolutely no time for it, though. They aren’t specifically trying to test me, they just don’t want to change the food they grew up eating for me. Fair enough, I just started eating beforehand and bringing snacks. It also means I can’t stick around for the all day parties.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Buckwheat Sings posted:

I know Loomer most likely has a mental issue, but it's crazy how hard she leans into this stuff.

How can she keep up with whatever her schtik is when the people she's supporting literally want her dead? Openly stated as well. I mean, the next step is to lynch her?

It's crazy! She's crazy!

She doesn't support this particular group. She supports many other political positions and movements that they also support, but she doesn't support this one specific anti-Semitic group. Also, she suggests that they might secretly be Feds false-flagging to make the whole movement look bad.

It's a pretty normal thing, actually. It's just cognitive dissonance. People have no problem supporting groups dedicated to hating minorities in general while closing their eyes to groups dedicated to hating the particular minority group they're part of. Similarly, they have no problem finding excuses to discount embarrassing or offensive behavior from their allies.

And of course, they're quick to oppose any measures against those offensive allies that might also hurt the movement as a whole. Loomer follows up the description of the event (which she posted online herself) with a self-righteous spiel about how everyone has the freedom to say whatever they want, "even if they are irrational Nazi trolls (and possibly even Feds)".

PhazonLink posted:

i wonder if the regressive jewish snowbirds in FL think they wont be leopard face eaten.

Of course. From their own perspective, hating other minority groups is incredibly logical and makes perfect sense, but hating Jews is just silly and doesn't make any sense at all, so they tend to find it hard to believe that anything more than a tiny fringe really believes in hating Jews.

Hell, you can even see bits of this in Loomer's post (red underlines mine).

Notice that she isn't mad at them because they're hateful or because they want to banish or kill her. She's mad at them because they're "vitriolic" and "irrational".

And I highlighted "irrational" specifically for a reason. By itself, it seems like a weird word to use here, but she has history with that particular word. She once infamously claimed that it wasn't right to call her an Islamophobe, because a phobia is an irrational fear, and she felt that it was completely rational and justified for her to fear (and hate) Muslims. With that as context, her referring to anti-Semitic neo-Nazis as "irrational" makes more sense: it's not that she opposes their genocidal hatred in general, it's just that she thinks it doesn't make any sense for them to aim it at her own identity, let alone her herself.

She thinks it makes perfect sense for them to aim that same level of hatred at other groups, and the problem with their hateful behavior is just that they're aiming it at a group it doesn't make sense to aim it at. And I'm sure she believes deep down that they're a tiny fringe with little pull in the actual movement - after all, their beliefs don't make any sense, unlike hers which she believes are completely understandable and persuasive.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The most disturbing thing about that post is that I might run into Laura Loomer at some point since that is not that far from me

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
"fools, basing their racial hatred and lust for genocide on irrationality and untrue claims instead of crisp rational analysis" :smug:

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

FlamingLiberal posted:

The most disturbing thing about that post is that I might run into Laura Loomer at some point since that is not that far from me

Your chances of running into Laura Loomer are low, but never zero.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

I AM GRANDO posted:

The Villages has a fence and guard station, I’m sure.

The Villages has many communities in various price tiers. Some have guard stations, but not all of them.

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe

Gyges posted:

I believe they're trying to build a no poo poo Libertarian City. An idea that is equal parts terrifying and baffling. Like, how do you even plan and build out an intrinsically governmental entity for libertarians? Are all the roads toll roads, and all services based on an insurance model?

Hear me out....

Blockchain.

shimmy shimmy
Nov 13, 2020

Main Paineframe posted:

She doesn't support this particular group. She supports many other political positions and movements that they also support, but she doesn't support this one specific anti-Semitic group. Also, she suggests that they might secretly be Feds false-flagging to make the whole movement look bad.

It's a pretty normal thing, actually. It's just cognitive dissonance. People have no problem supporting groups dedicated to hating minorities in general while closing their eyes to groups dedicated to hating the particular minority group they're part of. Similarly, they have no problem finding excuses to discount embarrassing or offensive behavior from their allies.

I mean, isn't Laura Loomer the one (well, one of the ones) with multiple videos of her trying to hit on neo-nazis and getting shot down? I could swear she tried to hit on Richard Spencer at one point but it might just be one of the other shithead neonazi brigade.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

shimmy shimmy posted:

I mean, isn't Laura Loomer the one (well, one of the ones) with multiple videos of her trying to hit on neo-nazis and getting shot down? I could swear she tried to hit on Richard Spencer at one point but it might just be one of the other shithead neonazi brigade.
Yes I believe that was her.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yes I believe that was her.

She's on camera saying "See, I have an Ashkenazi IQ and big tits" to a very uninterested gangly neonazi. It's pathetic.

But yeah, people can excuse anything when they are in deep enough. Oh, it's not that hateful. Well, it's hateful, but it's not directed at me. Ok, it's directed at me, but it's a fringe group. Ok, it's a sizable group, but they are being manipulated by the feds.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

The Right these days either says that literal Nazis are some kind of op or that it's good and part of American freedom that they are allowed to yell slurs at people and stand around with guns.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Zombie Dachshund posted:

At the high school where I teach, I have in recent years had several kids go vegan, permanently or temporarily. I’ve been heartened that other kids don’t give them a hard time much. (They do argue about the ethics of it, but these are teenagers; they’ll argue about anything.) And when they bring in food for a special class or advisory, they’re always good about bringing something that the vegan kid can eat. So the kids are all right, etc etc.

(What I’ve found interesting is that a bunch of them have stopped eating animal products to improve their athletic performance. I guess there was a documentary about that making the rounds a year or two back and it had an influence.)

Yes, The Game Changers: https://gamechangersmovie.com

As for me, I'm still setting new personal records on my bike ride segments and I'm going to be 67 by the end of this year,

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

PhazonLink posted:

i wonder if the regressive jewish snowbirds in FL think they wont be leopard face eaten.

I try to show this to Pro-Trump jewish friends and there's always some bizarre conspiracy they have to explain it.

Heck, I've known a orthodox guy (accountant) who just semi-retired to Israel and he things BDS is a bigger issue in the USA than the Nazis.

His theory is that the USA will start preventing jews from moving to Israel.

You can't reason with people who have come to a conclusion by means other than reason.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

A quick googling suggests this appears to have an absolutely terrible reputation for promoting pseudoscience. Who funded it?

edit: god, I loving hate netflix. Its "documentaries" have basically been an open spigot of sewage into viewer brains.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Sep 5, 2023

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Buckwheat Sings posted:

I know Loomer most likely has a mental issue, but it's crazy how hard she leans into this stuff.

How can she keep up with whatever her schtik is when the people she's supporting literally want her dead? Openly stated as well. I mean, the next step is to lynch her?

It's crazy! She's crazy!

Bitter infighting among racists and fascists is extremely common. Being toxic is what they know how to do.

Uncle Ulty
Dec 12, 2006

Represent.
What I'm seeing going around the Twittersphere is that one of the Nazis praised Biden for sending weapons to Ukraine, so the right are screaming about the Nazis being Biden supporters. Despite them actively being there for Desantis. I almost wonder if they know that they are hated by everyone and go out of their way to seem pro-Biden in order to sway public opinion in the opposite direction. But I don't think they are that smart.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
the GBS musk thread has musk on another weekend ket bender and him thinking he can recoup his 44$ billions from suing the ADL. so there's some sort of anti-Semitic talking point being pushed through the regressive media network.

my tealeaf reading is regressives know they continue to have no other solid attacks against biden or dems and are going to the most evergreen classics, anti-Semitism. though the holiday roll out means they also dont think its a good project so whatever.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

VideoGameVet posted:

I try to show this to Pro-Trump jewish friends and there's always some bizarre conspiracy they have to explain it.

Heck, I've known a orthodox guy (accountant) who just semi-retired to Israel and he things BDS is a bigger issue in the USA than the Nazis.

His theory is that the USA will start preventing jews from moving to Israel.

You can't reason with people who have come to a conclusion by means other than reason.

Israel and Neo-Nazis have had a pretty hosed up symbiotic relationship for a while now.

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Comes up in the R/relationships thread a LOT that people will food allergies constantly have to deal with SOs/in-laws/family members trying to 'test' them and mess with their food or force them to eat what they've repeatedly stated they're dangerously allergic to.

I know I'm a little bit late (and this is a derail topic), but I too have noticed the constant onslaught of posts where people care deeply, deeply, about what someone is eating. It's insane. If you asked me, I'd report that no human being could possibly care about the dietary preferences of another, but it comes up All. The. Time. It's almost like there's some evolutionary directive we've inherited by accident where seeing someone in your tribe eating something foreign is against the health of the overall group.

Anyway, don't mean to keep this topic alive but Reddit actually has an archived story of the one worst, and I mean WORST, example of disregarded allergies of all time- never to be challenged.

https://rareddit.com/r/JUSTNOMIL/comments/7qmed5/you_can_come_over_again_when_you_bring_me_my

Link is ultra NSFL.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Discendo Vox posted:

A quick googling suggests this appears to have an absolutely terrible reputation for promoting pseudoscience. Who funded it?

edit: god, I loving hate netflix. Its "documentaries" have basically been an open spigot of sewage into viewer brains.

My partner was watching something about the longevity of Okinawans on Netflix the other day and I absolutely lost it at how unscientific it all was. Just some dude making poo poo up based on feels and presenting no evidence whatsoever.

He wasn't even consistent with his bullshit - he started by saying "There are far more centigenerians in Okinawa than in Hokkaido so what is the reason for that?" and then less than 20 minutes later is talking about how Japanese people sit at low tables on mats, unlike the lazy westerners with their arm chairs.

Edit: since I'm legally mandated to participate in the derail, I will mention that I personally know that vegan, and she is probably the most annoying person I have ever met. But it's not because she's vegan. It's because she's thoroughly insufferable and is like that about everything to the point where my other vegan friends make fun of her about it. Hell, her wife complains about it. Her Facebook page reads like PETA propaganda.

People who make [thing] their entire identity always suck, but they suck extra hard for people who happen to like [thing] because they get lumped in with those people.

Double Edit: people lying about food because they don't believe you is also a thing that drives me insane. I'm not a picky eater at all but I hate bananas for some weird reason. I don't want to hate them - every once in a while I'll try something with banana in it just for shits and it always ends up being terrible. My ex wife, knowing this, put half a banana in my smoothie to "test" if I could tell and of course I could and I lost my poo poo. That was the first time I'd ever seen someone do that and I was just dumbfounded that someone could. To this day, I won't let my current partner give me something to eat without telling me what it is first. The part of me that trusts people in that way is dead.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Sep 5, 2023

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

KillHour posted:

My partner was watching something about the longevity of Okinawans on Netflix the other day and I absolutely lost it at how unscientific it all was. Just some dude making poo poo up based on feels and presenting no evidence whatsoever.

He wasn't even consistent with his bullshit - he started by saying "There are far more centigenerians in Okinawa than in Hokkaido so what is the reason for that?" and then less than 20 minutes later is talking about how Japanese people sit at low tables on mats, unlike the lazy westerners with their arm chairs.

The amount of absolute horseshit "documentaries" on Netflix and Amazon Prime really is something else. My partner and were talking about this recently like I used to like watching documentaries but even just seeing what pops up or gets recommended to me now almost turns me off from the entire genre. It's not like bad/quack/malevolent documentaries never existed before but the firehose way algorithms pick this stuff for you really has me second guess.

KillHour posted:

Double Edit: people lying about food because they don't believe you is also a thing that drives me insane. I'm not a picky eater at all but I hate bananas for some weird reason. I don't want to hate them - every once in a while I'll try something with banana in it just for shits and it always ends up being terrible. My ex wife, knowing this, put half a banana in my smoothie to "test" if I could tell and of course I could and I lost my poo poo. That was the first time I'd ever seen someone do that and I was just dumbfounded that someone could. To this day, I won't let my current partner give me something to eat without telling me what it is first. The part of me that trusts people in that way is dead.

I loving hate poo poo like this. Not exactly the same but I have a friend who as a kid had some food allergies that their parents didn't think were real and so they just, like, kept putting said stuff in their food and fortunately they are alive today but it but it sucked and permanently hosed up their body to a point where now as an adult they have to stick to an extremely strict choice of foods. Like how the gently caress was that helpful.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Neo Rasa posted:

I loving hate poo poo like this. Not exactly the same but I have a friend who as a kid had some food allergies that their parents didn't think were real and so they just, like, kept putting said stuff in their food and fortunately they are alive today but it but it sucked and permanently hosed up their body to a point where now as an adult they have to stick to an extremely strict choice of foods. Like how the gently caress was that helpful.

No, it's not exactly the same. It's much worse. Holy gently caress CPS should have taken that kid away.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
KillHour, could you go into more detail on your banana hate? Can you tell if it's a texture or a flavor thing? I'm curious about the etiology.

On the subject of allergens and current events, FDA recently implemented the requirements of the FASTER act, a bill modernizing food allergen labeling, which among other things adds sesame to the list of major food allergens. A bunch of companies in the baking industry (including whomever is supplying Chick-fil-A, Culver’s and Dave’s Killer Bread), being absolute assholes, responded by deliberately adding small amounts of sesame to all of their products rather than declare it as a cross-contamination risk. This appears to be a deliberate strategy by the industry trade group, the American Bakers Association, part of a pressure campaign to try to force FDA to accept "thresholds" for food allergens rather than clean their manufacturing lines. In the interim, of course, the sudden addition of sesame to all these products means there's way higher risk of exposure for people with allergies who used to be able to safely eat them.

CSPI (who were one of the animating forces behind the FASTER act) filed a petition with FDA to get them to stop this practice, but the agency has (imo correctly) responded by saying they really don't have a way to prevent it.
https://www.cspinet.org/sites/defau...-%207-26-23.pdf

The raw sociopathy of deliberately contaminating an entire category of foods with an allergen to try to force an exception in the law is mind-boggling.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Sep 5, 2023

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

MSG sends me into double heart rate fun. As in my normal resting pulse of 45 to 55 going to 95-110 or even higher. I don't feel bad when this happens, but it scares me.

And as it turns out this does happen to some people. Worse, restaurants don't always know they are using it.

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
whatever happened to that one bill that was supposed to regulate supplements in the US?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

whatever happened to that one bill that was supposed to regulate supplements in the US?

The proposal to require public listing for dietary supplements failed- however, the passage of the Modernization of Cosmetics Regulation Act in last year's budget bill will implement a similar requirement (and many other needed requirements) for cosmetic products, which FDA and advocates will hopefully use to renew their pressure on dietary supplement regulation. A lot depends on the makeup of Congress following the next election- the more Democrats, the more possible reform becomes. The industry as a whole is currently pretty weak in Congress right now, but there needs to be enough people in office that actually want to pass laws for change to happen.

The situation is also shifting due to other major changes:

a) FDA's rulemaking on homeopathic products needing to prove efficacy (though the agency isn't enforcing it aggressively as I hoped, choosing to exercise "risk prioritization"- I think they're letting most of the industry shut down on their own before they bring a hammer down on the rest). This will sap one of the alt-med markets that indirectly supports the dietary supplement industry. God, I long for the day there are no more homeopathics.

b) The infant formula crisis has driven a reorganization of FDA's whole food regulation program. It's too soon to tell whether this is an improvement, but the dietary supplement office is getting moved and the enforcement people will be theoretically closer to the policy people, which is a good thing. It's definitely better than another proposal floating around, which is that Congress should split FDA into a food entity and a drug entity. The alt-med people would love that, because they'll try to get their products in the food organization, which would make them impossible to regulate adequately.

c) FDA is also seeking new regulatory authority and basically a new legal framework to regulate CBD products (the ones that aren't lawful drugs); the root argument is that a lot of these products basically can't satisfy the fundamental safety requirements for other products regulated by the agency. As a result, under existing authority, they ought to be illegal. Instead, FDA is arguing they should treat them sort of like tobacco products- entirely harm reduction, because the products are innately harmful, and more harmful than any purported benefit. I'm a lot less sanguine about this, because it could open new forms of regulatory capture.

All of this is still in the context of FDA 1) needing like 10 times its current budget to perform its duties adequately, and 2) still doing its job better than just about every other equivalent agency on the planet.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Sep 5, 2023

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Discendo Vox posted:

my girlfriend and i watched such a documentary on netflix just last weekend. synopsis:

"In the four-part series "Live to 100: Secrets of the Blue Zones" (streaming now on Netflix) Dan Buettner, the explorer and best-selling author who has studied Blue Zones for 20-plus years, takes viewers on a journey to regions with the highest number of centenarians, or people who live to 100..."

it was about as stupid as you can imagine. in one episode they are on Sardinia and they conclude that one of the reasons there are so many centenarians there is because the main village on the island... has hills that people walk up and down everyday. like okay, maybe it's not pseudoscience per se, in the sense that exercise does improve life span! but the show itself dumbed things down to an insane degree

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Discendo Vox posted:

KillHour, could you go into more detail on your banana hate? Can you tell if it's a texture or a flavor thing? I'm curious about the etiology.

Not the OP but I too have an irrational hate for something similar: avocado. I’m not allergic to it. I’m not a picky eater. I mean I am now kinda cause I’m vegetarian, but before there was basically nothing I’d say no to even weird poo poo like insects as long as it was prepared.

But avocados are just one food I won’t and can’t eat. The smell of it makes me gag. If it’s in my sushi I can immediately taste it and I have to try not to throw up at the table. I can’t tell you what flavor avocado has because the only flavor I’ve ever known for it is “makes me want to throw up.” Guac? Gross. It’s probably not a texture thing because from what I can tell it’s smooth and oily. If it’s in shampoo I don’t notice prolly cause I don’t smell it.

And I loving love durian so

E: like KH I also try it every now and then thinking maybe I’m overreacting or maybe THIS TIME it will be good and I won’t want to throw up. Nope. Still the same.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Sep 5, 2023

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Boris Galerkin posted:

Not the OP but I too have an irrational hate for something similar: avocado. I’m not allergic to it. I’m not a picky eater. I mean I am now kinda cause I’m vegetarian, but before there was basically nothing I’d say no to even weird poo poo like insects as long as it was prepared.

But avocados are just one food I won’t and can’t eat. The smell of it makes me gag. If it’s in my sushi I can immediately taste it and I have to try not to throw up at the table. I can’t tell you what flavor avocado has because the only flavor I’ve ever known for it is “makes me want to throw up.” Guac? Gross. It’s probably not a texture thing because from what I can tell it’s smooth and oily. If it’s in shampoo I don’t notice prolly cause I don’t smell it.

E: like KH I also try it every now and then thinking maybe I’m overreacting or maybe THIS TIME it will be good and I won’t want to throw up. Nope. Still the same.

I'm not a fan of avocado, but my aversion isn't this strong, and I know exactly what the source of my aversion is - the texture. I have very little sense of smell (hyposmia), so texture is very important to me in foods. Avocado is basically like eating green Crisco, and very good guac is only slightly better.

That said, I still eat it occasionally - when it's on a plate served to me at a restaurant, or when there's guac at a party. Not because I love it, but because it's healthy and having a varied diet is generally a good thing.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Boris Galerkin posted:

I'm close to like this with onions.
I love the smell of a good cooked onion, and my parents swear on their undug graves that I would fight them for the onions off of their burger when I was little, but at some point I developed an aversion to them and as soon as the combination of that flavor and crunch registers in my mouth, I can't stop gagging.
I'm fine with onion powder, I'm fine with french fried onions (probably because I'm not sure they legally qualify as onions at that point), and I'm ok with the onions in something like vegetable soup where they're so soft they have the consistency of baby food, so I'm pretty sure it's just a texture issue for me.

It was so bad for awhile that I wouldn't even eat pizza with sauce on it unless I knew for a fact that their sauce didn't have anything more onion-y than powder.

Didn't help that of course my mom didn't believe me, since after all, I used to love onions, so she'd constantly try to lie to me on nights where she made spaghetti or something else with red sauce, swearing up and down there were no onions, only for me to show her on the label where it said ONIONS quite clearly on the ingredients, and the small pile of onions I picked out of the sauce as I ate.

To this day, I have to check the ingredients before I buy practically anything to make sure there's no onion in it.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Back to USCE:

CNN Exclusive: Special counsel election probe continues with focus on fundraising, voting equipment breaches

CNN posted:

Special counsel Jack Smith is still pursuing his investigation into efforts to overturn the 2020 election a month after indicting Donald Trump for orchestrating a broad conspiracy to remain in power, a widening of the probe that raises the possibility others could still face legal peril.

Questions asked of two recent witnesses indicate Smith is focusing on how money raised off baseless claims of voter fraud was used to fund attempts to breach voting equipment in several states won by Joe Biden, according to multiple sources familiar with the ongoing investigation.

In both interviews, prosecutors have focused their questions on the role of former Trump lawyer Sidney Powell.

[more in link]

It's a long article and not behind a paywall, so I won't quote the whole thing. We all knew Smith's investigation wasn't done, but this isn't an angle I'd seen discussed before. It makes sense though - when money is involved, following that paper trail almost always yields results. In this case, it looks to be Powell's grift using her nonprofit.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Discendo Vox posted:

I think it's the smell because I can immediately tell if something has banana by the smell. Cooking/baking it makes it worse because it brings out even more banana flavor.

It's not the texture because I like plantains just fine. I just had a sandwich with smashed plantains instead of bread and it was good, but I don't like banana bread at all. There is some specific chemical in bananas that is extremely strong tasting/smelling to me and I do not like it.

I did willingly have a few sips of smoothie with some banana in it yesterday because it was like 95 degrees out and I tolerated it, so in small amounts I can deal with it if I have to. It would just have been a million times better without it.

Boris Galerkin posted:

Ugh yeah this sounds like me (but maybe even more intense). I don't love avocado - I'm pretty meh about the flavor. But I feel bad for you because unlike banana, avocados are in fuckin everything now so good luck avoiding them.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Sep 5, 2023

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Main Paineframe posted:

*Words about an obviously mentally unwell Laura Loomer*

I am honestly concerned that Laura Loomer is going to end up dead in a shallow ditch because she keeps doing the equivilant of slathering barbecue sauce on her face and running towards the face-eating leopards. Hell, I'm honestly surprised she's still alive at this point.

Does anyone know why she's constantly chasing after the one group of people who's defining moment is "Murdered literally millions of Jewish people en-mass"? I know she did some other dumb poo poo in the past for attention (she was the one that handcuffed herself to Twitter's door, right?) but her chasing after neonazies who all want her and her people deader-than-dead always seems downright self-destructive.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
She's a grifter and her other grifts have failed. So she's chasing the one she thinks will work.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Randalor posted:

Does anyone know why she's constantly chasing after the one group of people who's defining moment is "Murdered literally millions of Jewish people en-mass"? I know she did some other dumb poo poo in the past for attention (she was the one that handcuffed herself to Twitter's door, right?) but her chasing after neonazies who all want her and her people deader-than-dead always seems downright self-destructive.

Well I think the general sentiment among the right is that (neo-)Nazis aren’t actually racist or want people dead, they just want a safe space for their own let’s not think about or talk about the logistics of that happening. Also, the real Nazis are the ones their grandpas fought in WW2.

It’s also easy for people to think that someone’s racism doesn’t apply to them or affect them because they’re one of the good ones.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Who funds Laura Loomer?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Boris Galerkin posted:

Well I think the general sentiment among the right is that (neo-)Nazis aren’t actually racist or want people dead, they just want a safe space for their own let’s not think about or talk about the logistics of that happening. Also, the real Nazis are the ones their grandpas fought in WW2.

It’s also easy for people to think that someone’s racism doesn’t apply to them or affect them because they’re one of the good ones.

It's mostly that they agree on almost everything except for a tiny little quibble over who's considered white. Which is an odd sticking point since basically all the other hated 19th Century Europeans are considered whites in good standing.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Gort posted:

Who funds Laura Loomer?

Nobody, which is why you hardly ever hear about her and why her stunts are all so pathetic. She may have gotten some donors for her senate (?) runs, but her whole career has been chasing and failing to find the kind of money people like Milo Y had early in the trump years. Her origin story was standing up and yelling at people doing Shakespeare in the park, hoping she would go viral.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Loomer is the end stage of the right wing version of :decorum: poisoning. She assumes that every single genocidal monster she runs into is just another fringe outlier while obviously all the people who matter agree with whatever the gently caress she decides her politics are today. Also she agrees with them on literally every topic except the ones personally inconvenient to her.

You do not need to feel sorry for her, she literally has every chance to turn back to the point of parody. She chooses to do this, every day, she buys into the blatant lies and the rationalisations because she considers it obvious that liberals are the real racists and Joe Biden is the new Hitler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Randalor posted:

I am honestly concerned that Laura Loomer is going to end up dead in a shallow ditch because she keeps doing the equivilant of slathering barbecue sauce on her face and running towards the face-eating leopards. Hell, I'm honestly surprised she's still alive at this point.

She isn't chasing after people who want to kill Jews. She's chasing after people who want to kill Muslims.

There's certainly some overlap between those groups, but she'll happily disavow the individual people and groups that focus specifically on anti-Semitism. She just dismisses them as a tiny lunatic fringe. And while anti-Semitism among white supremacists is certainly more prevalent than she thinks it is, it's not necessarily universal either. There's plenty of white nationalists who're just fine with Jews, or even admire the success of the Jewish-nationalism project known as Israel. Neo-Nazis aren't the only people out there proclaiming white supremacism; America has its very own home-grown traditions there, don't forget.