Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Grendels Dad posted:

Turn off your monitor. You are berating people for wasting their time on something, making a post on the Something Awful forums.

I say that instead of watching Star Wars: The Clone Wars: The Mandalorian: Ashoka, posters should read from Plutarch's Parallel Lives. They're individually not very long and full of amusing anecdotes, legends, and historical analysis; they're fascinating both for their subject matter and as exemplars of thought and culture in the Greek part of the Roman Roman Empire in the first century AD. I suggest the paired lives of Alexander and Julius Caesar as a familiar place to start.

I'm not so naive as to think this will make posters more moral or "better citizens," but they will have more Fun by making this substitution. The Oxford World Classics translations are eminently readable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

porfiria posted:

I say that instead of watching Star Wars: The Clone Wars: The Mandalorian: Ashoka, posters should read from Plutarch's Parallel Lives. They're individually not very long and full of amusing anecdotes, legends, and historical analysis; they're fascinating both for their subject matter and as exemplars of thought and culture in the Greek part of the Roman Roman Empire in the first century AD. I suggest the paired lives of Alexander and Julius Caesar as a familiar place to start.

I'm not so naive as to think this will make posters more moral or "better citizens," but they will have more Fun by making this substitution. The Oxford World Classics translations are eminently readable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjSKQsKEUfI

End of Shoelace
Apr 5, 2016

porfiria posted:

The truth about Star Wars is that it's for babies. It's for small children with half-developed brains. If you're a Gen Xer who had a quasi religious experience in the theater back in 77 and now you're rummaging through the scrap heap hoping to see Jesus' face again on a burnt out carburetor do your thing but otherwise what are we doing here?

Think about your limited hours on this earth. Maybe read a book, or at least watch something not made by dullards for dullards at the behest of dullards.

Star Wars is transformative. Who has ever read, like, "The Doomed City" and become transformed into a relentless Doomed City maniac, reading endless pages of factoids from the Doomed Wikia and demanding the book be republished for purchase?

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

porfiria posted:

The truth about Star Wars is that it's for babies. It's for small children with half-developed brains. If you're a Gen Xer who had a quasi religious experience in the theater back in 77 and now you're rummaging through the scrap heap hoping to see Jesus' face again on a burnt out carburetor do your thing but otherwise what are we doing here?

Think about your limited hours on this earth. Maybe read a book, or at least watch something not made by dullards for dullards at the behest of dullards.

Oh god Alec Guinness' ghost has an account.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

porfiria posted:

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Sep 5, 2023

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

It is important to avoid getting brand brain, but I think a life where all your pastimes are sophisticated and enriching would be intolerable.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
For every 15 minutes of Star Wars you watch, you should read one story from the Decameron.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
All the "star wars" you'll ever need are right there in the bible

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk
No offense, but books are for nerds.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

Bogus Adventure posted:

For every 15 minutes of Star Wars you watch, you should read one story from the Decameron.

I just started the decameron and I second this.

I would actually specifically recommend the Arabian nights, don Quixote, and le morte d'arthur as good counterpoints to the star wars. The historical and cultural context deepen the films and they are full of comic beatings and ribaldry.

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

"Bitcoin is a new financial concept entirely without precedent."
If I want to engage with truly insightful and thought-provoking art, I will simply watch Rian Johnson's masterpiece The Last Jedi (2017).

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The PYF comics thread is posting Prince Valiant, it's a ride.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

porfiria posted:

Reading, similar to Star Wars, is for losers.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Bogus Adventure posted:

I read that as Doraemon on my phone.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

FunkyAl posted:

I just started the decameron and I second this.

I would actually specifically recommend the Arabian nights, don Quixote, and le morte d'arthur as good counterpoints to the star wars. The historical and cultural context deepen the films and they are full of comic beatings and ribaldry.

It's a good book, and I second your other recommendations. I've been trying to read Don Quixote (Cervantes was a proto-goon).

Darko posted:

I read that as Doraemon on my phone.

There is ALWAYS a reason to read Doraemon. He's the best. Also, there's a related movie...

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat

Bogus Adventure posted:

Posting is the most serious and adult form of action a mature and responsible human can make

I stopped child soldiery in Africa back in 2012 by posting. Remember Kony 2012?!? I raised awareness and now it's all over.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

JonathonSpectre posted:

I stopped child soldiery in Africa back in 2012 by posting. Remember Kony 2012?!? I raised awareness and now it's all over.

Thank you for your service

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

JonathonSpectre posted:

I hope you enjoyed jacking it in San Diego.

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk

Skrill.exe posted:

If I want to engage with truly insightful and thought-provoking art, I will simply watch Rian Johnson's masterpiece The Last Jedi (2017).

Once the Jedi texts are published, a new age of literature will be upon us that is beyond low/high art. The dawn of the mid.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
Star wars but replace all mentions of 'the force' with 'mid'

fake e: that's why they call them MIDichlorians

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Ahsoka thoughts: I would so much rather just be watching the Ray Stevenson & Bangs Show

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Ahsoka thoughts: I would so much rather just be watching the Ray Stevenson & Bangs Show

Yeah, they are the only good parts of this.

gently caress they really whiffed this. I don't even know who to blame at this point. Since Mando S2 it's all been generally middling at best.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
I'm rewatching the prequels. I'm trying to approach them with an open mind and just see what's shown on screen rather than with any preconceptions from the other movies.

The Jedi don't actually do anything good in the prequels! They're just placid and disinterested. Aside from that they run a boarding school of stolen kids.

Anakin's got his faults but at this point I'm looking forward to him murdering the snobby aloof bastards.

I suppose the actual Jedi philosophy is never shown to be good in episodes 1-6. Connection to the force is good. But that's distinct from the Jedi ideal of detachment. E.g. Yoda tells Luke to let his friends die because caring about them is counterproductive. Lule blows him off. It's true he suffers as a result but he also saved the galaxy.

Vim Fuego fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Sep 6, 2023

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Anakin: I miss my mother who's still a slave that you guys refused to free.

Jedi Council: lol get over it already.

Lol If you weren't cheering on Vader to clean house on these idiots from movie 1.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Vim Fuego posted:

The Jedi don't actually do anything good in the prequels! They're just placid and disinterested. Aside from that they run a boarding school of stolen kids.

Yep! The Jedi are just as broken as the rest of the Republic. George Lucas has mentioned in various interviews that the Jedi during the prequels are basically the Republic's "Mafia Dons". According to him, the standard Jedi negotiating technique is to put their lightsaber down on the table at the start of the meeting to scare their opponent into compliance. And when they're not doing that, they're all hanging out in a literal ivory tower doing Ghostbusters tests on kids.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Vintersorg posted:

I don't even know who to blame at this point. Since Mando S2 it's all been generally middling at best.

Well, I felt Andor was better than middling but I also think that everything else has been some degree of "actively bad".

Anyway I think we can safely blame Disney corporate, for giving these guys a year plot out essentially 3 movies, and also for not immediately binning Obi-Wan.

Vim Fuego posted:

Yeah the big secret is that if the Jedi were actually a good and decent institution (instead of a couple of good guys in a rotten institution) it would never have gotten owned so hard. But, everyone in the audience listened to Obiwan in New Hope and took him at his word re: the Jedi.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Oh, it goes without saying that Andor is top tier on the level of The Boys, Better Call Saul, Severance, etc for modern day prestige tv.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

That's why Luke is the greatest of the Jedi in 1-6. He cares, and he defeats the Emperor by inspiring his father to care again. He proves Obi-Wan and Yoda wrong, who embodied the best and the worst of the Republic Jedi.

Captain Jesus
Feb 26, 2009

What's wrong with you? You don't even have your beer goggles on!!

banned from Starbucks posted:

Lol If you weren't cheering on Vader to clean house on these idiots from movie 1.

It would work better if they showed Anakin actually killing any of the idiots instead of small children. It's understandable though, because Lucas wanted to emphasize that Anakin needed to max out his dark side experience points to unlock the cheat death ability as fast as possible.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Captain Jesus posted:

It would work better if they showed Anakin actually killing any of the idiots instead of small children. It's understandable though, because Lucas wanted to emphasize that Anakin needed to max out his dark side experience points to unlock the cheat death ability as fast as possible.

I mean you seem sarcastic there but given the overtones of Sheev's relationship with Anakin of basically grooming him into becoming a Sith, that's pretty much what he's doing; making Anakin desperate, scared and angry, and then committing a rapid series of unforgiveable atrocities and betrayals to alienate him from everyone else. The brutal injuries and near-death are just a handy bonus to literally remake him into Darth Vader when he has nothing left except to be a weapon of the newly crowned Emperor.

The prequels are extremely explicit about Sith apprenticeship being basically the cycle of abuse. Whether vulnerable people lured in with love-bombing, sympathy and grandiose promises, or outright made by force and obligation to endure pointless savagery and inflict harm on others, the point is to break down everything good about them and leave them used to inflicting and receiving pain. Savage Oppress (ahhh, that name) has a whole introductory arc that spells it out, he starts out as about as nice and noble a character can be in his environment and then broken down and remade into a monster by the Night Sisters and Count Dooku.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Captain Jesus posted:

Some of this was filmed, though cut from the movie. A death scene for Shaak Ti was shot, but she's not really a big enough character that Anakin killing her is super meaningful. The only Jedi that really got enough characterization to make Anakin killing them mean anything would be Mace Windu, who's always been kind of antagonistic towards him, and serves as the personification of the aloof, disinterested Jedi that exist in the late-stage Republic. So it makes sense that Anakin was originally more complicit in his death.

As originally filmed, Anakin was present in Palpatine's office when Mace and the other Jedi came to arrest him. And while he didn't take part in the fight himself, Palpatine did use Anakin's lightsaber while Anakin watched (Palpatine's still got Anakin's hilt in the final movie). That also affects some surrounding material as well, since having Anakin there the whole time means that he never returned to the Jedi temple to tell Mace that Palpatine was a Sith (a scene that was added in reshoots), which means that Mace arriving to arrest Palpatine actually was a legitimate coup attempt by the Jedi, and Anakin's support of Palpatine was politically motivated in addition to the personal motivation about saving Padme (which most of the reshoot material focused on, since it was a little muddled in the script).

Robot Style fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Sep 7, 2023

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
there isn't really a great opportunity to have anakin care about the various doofy background council members enough to have him kill them and have that mean anything. the only ones the audience knows enough about are mace, who he does help kill, obi-wan, whose final duel with anakin is rightfully the climax of the entire saga, and yoda. having a scene where anakin tries to kill yoda and yoda flips around like a stupid frog until he can run away would waste valuable time spent on having yoda do that against sidious instead.

i also like that the order 66 sequence features the doofy background council members getting killed by the clones rather than anakin or palpatine. it's a nice reminder that the threat palpatine posed the whole time was as a political actor, moreso than as an evil space wizard.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
i wonder what would've happened had anakin not been burnt and hidden behind a mask. would palpatine just have been like 'this is anakin skywalker, the one jedi who stood by the republic?'

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Horizon Burning posted:

i wonder what would've happened had anakin not been burnt and hidden behind a mask. would palpatine just have been like 'this is anakin skywalker, the one jedi who stood by the republic?'

It'd basically be how the GOP rolls like the exact same smearing of the jedi/propaganda against them and whenever Anakin is brought up they just give a word salad 100 contradictions in the same conversation about how jedis don't even exist and hey, did you ever think that people who question the emperor are the REAL jedi????

The only change is that for people who like the empire "jedi" would just become the generic word for "thing I don't like" and people would still mostly forget they were even real in a generation.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

It still was a legitimate coup even after the reshoots

They seems to have downplayed politics a lot more through the editing and reshoots , probably correctly.

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012
They didn't even nail Palpatine over treason against the republic (by also helping the separatists) but for being a Sith lord. Is it against republic law to be a Sith?

Kind of like how KOTOR 2 reframes the Revan conflict as the Jedi civil war since to the general public it would be like the 30 year war, different sects of the same religion.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Vintersorg posted:

gently caress they really whiffed this. I don't even know who to blame at this point. Since Mando S2 it's all been generally middling at best.

I liked this episode as it seems like its going somewhere interesting, and it had a lot of subtle visual direction, which I always like, with lightsaber stances/etc. telling a story which Filoni is really good at (see final Obi Wan Maul). And general Internet reaction has matched as everyone is starting to sign on now. The first two "catch up" episodes were rough, though.

As far as pulpy Star Wars, the 4th episode is the best we've seen since...Floni's Ahsoka/Luke episode in Boba Fett.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

banned from Starbucks posted:

Yeah like imagine how different the galaxy would have been if they freed her or even just let him visit like five years later instead of during Attack of the Clones.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Vintersorg posted:

The only Star Wars live-action TV that isn't middling or worse is all of Andor, 3/4 of Mando season 1, half of Mando season 2, and the "getting a new car" Mando episode of Boba Fett. The writing is just not good or compelling, it's far too focused on connectivity and worldbuilding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Palatine didn’t commit treason. Iirc