Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squall
Mar 10, 2010

"...whatever."
I'll have you know that I have never had a bad take.

Squall posted:

Hey, Braves,

Pay Josh Donaldson.

Quote me when he sucks in four years. Flags fly forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Bank posted:

I've mostly been watching MLB for Ohtani but he got me into watching some other players as well. The whole situation kinda sucks. From what I gather he just wants to pitch and hit his best, and the Angels want to keep him as long as possible, so they'll let him do whatever he wants, even if it means he potentially injures himself.

That BP looked real bad though and I hope someone knocks some sense into him and he realizes being healthy is better for him in the long run if he wants to play ball. He doesn't seem to care about the money.

I wish he had been healthy for free agency and got some crazy contract, but now who knows..

I bought a bunch of his baseball cards, but I couldn't care less about the value, I just wanna see the guy play again :(

I really don't know how he didn't shut it down for the season after the UCL tear. The Angels were already long-shots to make the playoffs. No reason to to possibly get more injured. Some guys just want to keep playing though.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Salvor_Hardin posted:

I wish Gunnar Henderson didn't exist because Triston Casas deserves to win a ROTY.

Casas really shouldn't have sucked for the first couple months of the season if he wanted to be RotY. That said, he's been a real encouraging bright spot in the depressing fizzle that's been late august.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

cant decide what birdland doomer vibes to focus on today

are we going to collapse while the Rays steal the division?
are we gonna have orioles magic for real and Angelos completely somehow poo poo all over it?

who knows!

i will say being 3.5 vs 2.5 up in the division feels like a 200% difference though
:smugbird:

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Think bigger! Ending the “not getting swept” streak by getting straight bounced from the wild card series/ALDS.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Dinosaurs! posted:

Think bigger! Ending the “not getting swept” streak by getting straight bounced from the wild card series/ALDS.

sure! im basically ready to entertain any sort of doom scenarios because I know ill let myself down if I get hyped

magic number 22 and im starting to feel a little hype :ohdear:

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Consider the real doomer posting, trading World Series MVP Gunnar Henderson to the Rays because they need a shortstop and poor John Angelos can't afford him after his ROTY bonuses.

:shepicide:

E: For real though being up 3.5 with less than a month to go and the only real threat being the 4 game series with the Rays later this month definitely has me thinking that this group is going to surprise a lot of folks in the postseason and I am extremely ready to stress out over every single game.

Artix fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Sep 5, 2023

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

my favorite Mega Drive game is Gunnstar Heroesnderson

Bank
Feb 20, 2004
From an SNES game called Fighting Baseball/MLBPA:

Ninja edit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oymWAeqv_-c

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?

Artix posted:

Consider the real doomer posting, trading World Series MVP Gunnar Henderson to the Rays because they need a shortstop and poor John Angelos can't afford him after his ROTY bonuses.

That would require the Rays to be willing to spend money too, though.

What you SHOULD do is trade him to the little ol' Minnesota Twins.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Someone painted a giant mariners mural near me and they're almost done. Here's the Julio section:

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

Someone painted a giant mariners mural near me and they're almost done. Here's the Julio section:

a really good rendition of earths greatest mortal

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Salvor_Hardin posted:

I was going by the betting lines which had Casas as a clear #2

Yainer might have a better shot if Dusty wasn't obsessed with keeping Maldonado's 58 OPS+ bat in the lineup to go along with his league leading passed balls and low caught stolen rate and league worst framing

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Next year when both Maldy and Dusty are gone is going to be so normal.

The Astros fandom conspiracy theory I've been seeing is that this is because Diaz was part of the package with the Guards that sent Dusty's favorite speedy, non-hitting CF away. He hates it when CFs can hit, which is why Chas doesn't get as much PT as he's earned.

zoux fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Sep 5, 2023

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Intruder posted:

Yainer might have a better shot if Dusty wasn't obsessed with keeping Maldonado's 58 OPS+ bat in the lineup to go along with his league leading passed balls and low caught stolen rate and league worst framing

But the pitchers love him

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

https://x.com/riveraveblues/status/1699057605111631884?s=46&t=EhzTvpa5Lh8bIAryRijIPQ

We should all be rooting for this tonight

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

No, don’t think I will be rooting for the Yankees to reach .500

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

Wow and everyone had been saying he doesn't deserve a giant mural.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

MrMidnight posted:

But the pitchers love him

The pitchers do indeed love him, there’s a reason he’s JV’s guy. That holds weight, even when he can’t hit worth a poo poo.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
I’m rooting for the Yankees tonight but have developed a cosmology where I hope they lose against every team with a shot at the wild card so to better diminish the Astros’ shot at the postseason.

They have 4 against Boston and 6 against Toronto for the rest of the season. That’s 10 games to gently caress the Astros from afar after a hilarious spoiler sweep. Also losing 10 to those teams means a better chance that Hal either sells the team or fires Cashman.

Is this vindictive? Yes but gently caress the Astros and Texas in general.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Well Played Mauer posted:

I’m rooting for the Yankees tonight but have developed a cosmology where I hope they lose against every team with a shot at the wild card so to better diminish the Astros’ shot at the postseason.

They have 4 against Boston and 6 against Toronto for the rest of the season. That’s 10 games to gently caress the Astros from afar after a hilarious spoiler sweep. Also losing 10 to those teams means a better chance that Hal either sells the team or fires Cashman.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
https://twitter.com/RespectJazzJr/status/1698979558702100964

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Martin Perez was a starter at one point this season right? He appeared in relief yesterday.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Wow and everyone had been saying he doesn't deserve a giant mural.

IT WAS THREE POSTS

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

bawfuls posted:

No, don’t think I will be rooting for the Yankees to reach .500

Counterpoint: you should.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

What is this showing ?

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

euphronius posted:

What is this showing ?

Probably slider break or something.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

wDIC+

Red
Apr 15, 2003

euphronius posted:

What is this showing ?

They track all kinds of pitch movement

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Red posted:

They track all kinds of pitch movement

What pitches is it measuring ?

Milovan Drecun
Apr 17, 2007
I masturbate in traffic.

euphronius posted:

That's not only irrelevant to the joke, knowing would undermine it.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

euphronius posted:

The Slutter.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

IT WAS THREE POSTS

I said Luis Arraez had a shot to hit .400 and people still haven't let it go.

Embrace the SAS.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

zoux posted:

Martin Perez was a starter at one point this season right? He appeared in relief yesterday.

He was. He got moved to the bullpen after some struggles and the Scherzer/Montgomery trades

E: it sucks for him. He was excellent last year and I wish he’d been able to get close to that level now that the team has an actual shot.

Alfred P. Pseudonym fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Sep 5, 2023

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Scherzer v JV Wednesday....that's hot

Red
Apr 15, 2003

euphronius posted:

Those with a tip

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

Looking forward to the analysis of whether handedness determines whether it breaks right or left

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Bird in a Blender posted:

I really don't know how he didn't shut it down for the season after the UCL tear. The Angels were already long-shots to make the playoffs. No reason to to possibly get more injured. Some guys just want to keep playing though.

Ballplayer to his bones. I keep telling everyone that they will have to drag him off the field.

How do you deal with that, while maintaining his autonomy that he clearly prizes and can flourish under?

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

euphronius posted:

ones that end up as dongs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Sounds like Francona's retiring:

https://twitter.com/MLBNetworkRadio/status/1699144618124927438