Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I thought the Hot Wheels show was going to be a spiritual successor to Lego Masters but it’s pimp my ride unwatchable trash

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I just looked up a video about it, seems like it's just monster garage.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
Honestly it's worse than that. I think a new Monster Garage could be alright.

Instead it's a lot of slapping cosmetic mods onto a light frame and going "Oh my god! It's so crazy. We made a car do a wheelie!" when...yeah it's a non-driveable lightweight car that you put a shitload of weight in the back of.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I saw about ten minutes or so and it looked kinda dumb

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis
Just got caught up on Australian Lego Masters (it's very smoky outside, I have nothing else to do) and holy crap it's so so much better than the American version. I think the big difference, besides the Australian contestants getting more time, is that they're casting people specifically to build Lego. In the US it's more people fitting a character mold, often to drum up drama. Like "we're doctors and they're firefighters and thus we are rivals!"

One of my favourite teams is Ryan and Gabby from AUS S3/S5, in large part because they're almost exactly the same age as my wife and I. And I think they maybe mentioned what they do outside of the show once? All I need to know is that they're nerds who enjoy building Lego models and are very good at it. What the US producers don't seem to understand is that the whole point of the show is to see if people can build a sick kaiju, not as a character study. I don't need any drama other than people racing the clock to complete their builds, and if I wanted interpersonal conflict I'd be watching The Real Housewives of Spokane.

AUS S5 in particular is fantastic; most seasons have one or two teams who are clearly a tier below, but every single team in Grandmasters would have run the table in any US season. And the finale has what's probably the two best Lego models I've ever seen. Finale spoilers:

Joss and Henry's Forest Guardian. The photo doesn't do it justice at all, it's incredibly detailed and beautifully framed. It would have won basically any other lego competition were it not for...

Scotty and Owen's Titan-carrying-a-city. I mean, look at this motherfucker. Look at the angle of that city. I know people have talked about this in the thread before but nobody to my knowledge has put up a photo link to tell you that if you haven't seen the :australia: version of this show you're missing out.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Is there any way to watch the Australian version legally in North America?

This looks cool and good and I want to support this. And my kids would go nuts for this too.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

First 3 seasons are on Tubi, not sure why 4 and Grand Masters have never appeared.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.
Yeah, I'm about to finish off S2 and it's been great. The people are all such amazing builders AND people. Except of course for loving Kale in S1, but it seems as though they learned their lesson from that shitshow. An utter pleasure to watch.

Also Hamish is 10x the host Will Arnett is.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

All we do is walk around believing birds!

Habibi posted:

Except of course for loving Kale in S1, but it seems as though they learned their lesson from that shitshow.
I've got some bad news..

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Habibi posted:

Also Hamish is 10x the host Will Arnett is.

Ugh, another zero host.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Slyphic posted:

I've got some bad news..

....drat. I had been afraid of that.

Unless you are just referring to them bringing Ke back for the all star season, which I had already heard about.

HootTheOwl posted:

Ugh, another zero host.

?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Kales redemption arc is an enjoyable watch at least, he doesn’t seem a bad person and the show kinda did allow him to become a villain in s1.

There’s a contestant coming in s4 who is worse and from what I’ve read of her social media posts, is portrayed exactly how she is in real life. From what I gather, she made no friends among the cast for that year. She’s a dark mark on the show for sure.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

EL BROMANCE posted:

Kales redemption arc is an enjoyable watch at least, he doesn’t seem a bad person and the show kinda did allow him to become a villain in s1.

Kale didn't strike me as a "bad person," per se, so much as a self-centered rear end in a top hat who used his neurodivergency to excuse his lovely behavior. Unfortunately, you also don't need to be a bad person to ruin it for everyone else - you just need to be an rear end in a top hat.

Was it much of a redemption arc for him on the show? Maybe - I hope so! But I've seen recent (last two years) social media comments from him that continue to take no responsibility and blame how he was made to look on the show, which is extremely difficult to credit.

quote:

There’s a contestant coming in s4 who is worse and from what I’ve read of her social media posts, is portrayed exactly how she is in real life. From what I gather, she made no friends among the cast for that year. She’s a dark mark on the show for sure.
Yikes. You know it's bad when a contestant on a whacky kids toy themed reality program is labeled a "dark mark on the show."

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

Habibi posted:

Kale didn't strike me as a "bad person," per se, so much as a self-centered rear end in a top hat who used his neurodivergency to excuse his lovely behavior.
Precisely this. Just a narcist trying to handwave it by crying neuro-diverse. Like dude, I'm more autistic than you, you're just a douche.

Habibi posted:

Was it much of a redemption arc for him on the show?
There was no redemption arc. He doesn't change his behavior at all. I feel about S5 Kale almost exactly what I felt about S1 Kale.

Habibi posted:

Yikes. You know it's bad when a contestant on a whacky kids toy themed reality program is labeled a "dark mark on the show."
I found her a worse person but not more annoying and impactful than Kale. It was mostly feeling awful for her team mate (they were paired together by the show, not a natural team).

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

will = zero =10 x0

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Slyphic posted:

There was no redemption arc. He doesn't change his behavior at all. I feel about S5 Kale almost exactly what I felt about S1 Kale.
That just makes me sad for the guy. Also for Trent, who I think I read got to be his partner for that adventure.

quote:

I found her a worse person but not more annoying and impactful than Kale. It was mostly feeling awful for her team mate (they were paired together by the show, not a natural team).

Just the worst when they pair people up, and even more awful when one turns out to be a huge jerk. I'm still not sure how Billsy managed not to punch Kale in the stomach so hard it made his studs declutch. Surely he knew the entire audience would have pooled money for his legal defense.

HootTheOwl posted:

will = zero =10 x0

Oh I thought you were talking about Hamish.

The bit in S2 hanging build episode where he stays suspended for all the shots...lol....

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

Habibi posted:

That just makes me sad for the guy. Also for Trent, who I think I read got to be his partner for that adventure.
Trent actually was able to tone down most of Kale's grandiosity. It probably helped that Kale was a known quantity - like, Trent signed up for S5 knowing he was gonna be partnered with Kale - and that he's also a very fast builder so he was able to keep up with some large builds. But yes... he definitely comes off as occasionally exasperated with Kale.

EL BROMANCE posted:

My wife pointed out how at the end of their run, everyone went to hug Rachel but cold shouldered Lexi. :iceburn:

Also 'character boss', lady, you were like 8th best on that season at doing characters lol

Albino Squirrel fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Sep 5, 2023

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah redemption arc was probably the wrong way to write it, as Albino says above it was more being booked with someone who had the skill set to not take poo poo from Kale and put his foot down. It makes it more entertaining than frustrating for the most part which is a vast improvement to s1.

I also watched a bunch of Bilsy’s aftershow streams and he had Kale on as a guest, and while I know they had a falling out before they do seem friends again and the rest of the contestants don’t seem to hold anything against him. He’s definitely difficult to deal with on top getting a harsh edit. I know one of the most controversial things he said (sadly I don’t remember the phrase) was taken out of context and pushed by a question asked by the producers that we didn’t hear. They also flat out refused to let him mention the neurodivergent element which is a bit cruel, and we all know that is 90% what his personality is based around.

Overall the show isn’t a good environment for him, and there’s people I would’ve preferred to have back in s5 but in the end it wasn’t a distraction. I do like how different Henry is in real life compared to the show, the editors really like to cut him down to saying virtually nothing and seeming a mild mannered and goody two shoes kinda guy. He’s funny on the streams.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis
Lego Masters Australia Season 6 announced

9 posted:

In our Olympic year (2024), Season 6 will be "Australia vs The Rest Of the World" with four brand new Australian teams taking on the four best LEGO® teams who have previously competed in their homelands.

oh REALLY

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.

Can we also get Hamish to take on the other presenters? (Or really just show Will Arnet how to do it)

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Australia will win, and honestly, they might have to do some cooking the books to get a US team in the finals. I assume they're gonna try for a AUS, US, UK final 3. Never seen the UK version.

Fake edit: Oh wow, there's also a Belgium/Netherlands version and a Finland version. And France and New Zealand ...

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

PostNouveau posted:

Australia will win, and honestly, they might have to do some cooking the books to get a US team in the finals. I assume they're gonna try for a AUS, US, UK final 3. Never seen the UK version.

Fake edit: Oh wow, there's also a Belgium/Netherlands version and a Finland version. And France and New Zealand ...

The UK version is a wholly different format, unrecognizable compared to the rest of the Masters series. It was kinda pretty lame. I'm really hoping for non-anglosphere contestants. There's got to be plenty of European finalists that speak adequate English and they definitely have the building chops. The only cool thing about seeing some Americans would be the relief at seeing them drop the stupid caricature acts forced on them by LMUS.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

Slyphic posted:

The UK version is a wholly different format, unrecognizable compared to the rest of the Masters series. It was kinda pretty lame. I'm really hoping for non-anglosphere contestants. There's got to be plenty of European finalists that speak adequate English and they definitely have the building chops. The only cool thing about seeing some Americans would be the relief at seeing them drop the stupid caricature acts forced on them by LMUS.
I'm assuming you'd see the US contestants up their game in Australia given the level of competition. You could also have US and Canadian representatives given that both countries have had people doing well on LMUS.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I like how the ROW teams are established TV teams who are known to be good, but in order to play it fair Australia are going with fresh faces to give everyone a fighting chance.

I could've gone for another season or two of regular LM AU before this, but it is something I was hoping would happen at some point so I'm definitely not complaining. God the dream would be 2 seasons a year, regular LM AU and then a gimmick one like this / GM etc. I love how the AU show is scheduled with 3 episodes a week, but it does mean it flies by when it starts airing. 2024 isn't that long away now at least...

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

EL BROMANCE posted:

God the dream would be 2 seasons a year, regular LM AU and then a gimmick one like this / GM etc. I love how the AU show is scheduled with 3 episodes a week, but it does mean it flies by when it starts airing. 2024 isn't that long away now at least...

I know that seems tempting but it's basically what they did with Top Chef back in the day and it killed the show.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah I can see that. I’ve never really had much interest in competition shows, but I used to watch Taskmaster and it kinda lost my interest when it seemed constantly on. Quality over quantity anyday.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I'm cautious about it because I was not interested in the holiday special the US show did at all. But that was also hot on the heels of Leslie Jordan dying, so that also put me off on wanting to watch it.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

EL BROMANCE posted:

Yeah I can see that. I’ve never really had much interest in competition shows, but I used to watch Taskmaster and it kinda lost my interest when it seemed constantly on. Quality over quantity anyday.

If you never watch another season, go find Taskmaster New Zealand and watch the second season. As someone that's watched damned near all of it including the international non-English versions, TM:NZ S2 is lightning in a bottle.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Is that what I keep seeing clips of on TikTok? Seems pretty fun.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Slyphic posted:

If you never watch another season, go find Taskmaster New Zealand and watch the second season. As someone that's watched damned near all of it including the international non-English versions, TM:NZ S2 is lightning in a bottle.

I hear it’s really good! I watched a few episodes of S1 as I like Guy Williams (and wanted to see another English language version) and one day I’ll finish that and hit the second up too. I think the covid years really didn’t do UK TM any favors, it kinda fell off a cliff during that time.

Has there ever been a Lego building challenge on any TM episode, I can’t think of one off hand but I have a dreadful memory. Could be a fun one.

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.

EL BROMANCE posted:

Has there ever been a Lego building challenge on any TM episode, I can’t think of one off hand but I have a dreadful memory. Could be a fun one.

Little Alex Horne is a contestant along with Sophie Duker from Task Master season 13 in the UK Lego Master's Christmas special.

Their build is task master themed

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ahhh I knew *something* triggered a connection in my head. Was kinda hoping it would turn into something season length that followed AU, but I remember posting at the time it looked like it was shot in Turkey from memory.

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.

EL BROMANCE posted:

Ahhh I knew *something* triggered a connection in my head. Was kinda hoping it would turn into something season length that followed AU, but I remember posting at the time it looked like it was shot in Turkey from memory.

Yeah, it looked promising. I'm not normally much of a fan of Nish Kumar, but he seemed to have taken some notes from the Hamish Blake school of hosting.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I acquired task master NZ and I'm really enjoying it. And it's nice to recognize someone since I just watched deadloch.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

en zed was better than 'merica,. The host felt kind of low energy which was weird, but then it turned out he was undergoing cancer treatment so that makes perfect sense (he's back to his usual self by this season of TM:NZ, btw). It also felt like a bunch of the challenges they did were cutting room leftovers from AU, like the monochrome challenge. I'll admit, I thought it might be interesting, and apparently Brickman had been asking for it for a while, but even he stopped after NZ tried it and it just didn't work in the LM format. I still haven't watched the second season of it, but I've been meaning to.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Finally finished LM AUS S2. Holy poo poo. The scale of these final builds is mind-blowing. Do the subsequent seasons manage to continue elevating the game in the way that S2 improved over S1?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Season 3 is very very good, from memory has the most people in the Grand Masters (alas Jackson and Alex couldn’t make it). The best build of the entire show so far is in the finale of s5.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Habibi posted:

Finally finished LM AUS S2. Holy poo poo. The scale of these final builds is mind-blowing. Do the subsequent seasons manage to continue elevating the game in the way that S2 improved over S1?

Season 3 might be the best season

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Capisano
Sep 11, 2001

Brutal
Season 4 (US) starts tomorrow, September 28