Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Did joe have one or two infections already

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Steve Yun posted:

Did joe have one or two infections already

I'm only aware of the one.

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

Internet Janitor posted:

for rich people for whom money and prescriptions are no object, is there any reason not to be on paxlovid constantly as a prophylactic? i guess some people get the weird taste side effects...

yeah aside from the variably-unpleasant side effects, medicine interactions are an issue, and i think it's just a little rough on your liver generally from what i understand, so being on it short-term is no biggie but chronically could be more seriously damaging

however, re: the general idea, there are other 3CLP inhibitors (same mechanism as paxlovid) in development/study phase that are thought to be as-or-more effective at replication inhibition while being way more biologically available and stable. in particular, ISM3312 (invented in canada, i think, and in testing in china) is hoped/suspected to be sufficiently bioavailable that you don't need to co-administer with ritonavir, meaning the level of side effects / liver risks / drug interactions should drop precipitously. in theory, something like that could be a good candidate for long-term administration. there are probably others in testing but i remember a bit of hype around that one. hopefully the studies pan out, but who knows.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

RandomBlue posted:

I'm sitting in a drive-thru right now but I think it's two.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

RandomBlue posted:

one confirmed

at least two other obvious sore throat coughing febrile series of public appearances that weren't Covid nor would I suggest or speculate that they were.

instead I'll just make jokes about him being unable to keep his family alive, which extends to his wife.

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

lmao

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

she's a doctor, she should have known better

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
Physician, lock thyself down

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
Maybe she's just a fridge doctor.

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Death. The capricious dance of Now You Stop Moving Forever.

Gunshow Poophole posted:

instead I'll just make jokes about him being unable to keep his family alive, which extends to his wife.

:sweatdrop:

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

she got that mild covid she'll be fine

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

biden dgaf
https://twitter.com/News_By_Nick/status/1698871205325848644

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1698659706372309125?t=GVOn8qh5kTkIkfxru6UtHQ&s=19

Lol

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Death. The capricious dance of Now You Stop Moving Forever.
https://twitter.com/LongDesertTrain/status/1698861011728540035

Another lab just dropped their results into Twitter. They, in line with the other two labs, found that it was less of a concern than previously thought. Ryan's still got some good points though about if antibodies from a recent infection then how is it still circulating in large enough numbers for it to get picked up via sequencing.

The lab's preprint will be posted tomorrow, no idea what timezone so if someone else drops the link in here while I'm asleep/at work that'd be appreciated!

I'm glad it might not be a huge problem, but so much about it is still unknown and there's far too much spread and mixing for me to be comfortable about it having recombinant babies that make it worse. All three of these labs, as far as I can tell, used a pseudovirus with the BA.2.86 spike protein attached. This is so much of why I am suspicious about how much we're missing by focusing on just the spike protein. Is it a publish-perish situation where labs feel like they have to focus on the spike because that's the quickest way to get lab experiments going? Is it because emphasis was put on it for the mRNA vaccines? I don't get it.

[edited to ramble on further]

Zantie has issued a correction as of 05:24 on Sep 5, 2023

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

I attended a conference this weekend that had stricter protocols than the loving g20 lmao

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

fosborb posted:

I attended a conference this weekend that had stricter protocols than the loving g20 lmao
according to person on twitter, WH getting lazy with covid protocols lol the hubris
https://twitter.com/michael_hoerger/status/1698869863567987147

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

how is this known? i mean... sure makes sense, he's legitimately insane

He did a big confessional around a year ago with receipts. He also claimed that he and 2 other goons at the time actually built 4Chan and used Moot as a patsy/face of 4chan.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

lmao

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Zantie posted:

Another lab just dropped their results into Twitter. They, in line with the other two labs, found that it was less of a concern than previously thought. Ryan's still got some good points though about if antibodies from a recent infection then how is it still circulating in large enough numbers for it to get picked up via sequencing.

The lab's preprint will be posted tomorrow, no idea what timezone so if someone else drops the link in here while I'm asleep/at work that'd be appreciated!

I'm glad it's not a huge problem right now, but I can't help but hold my breath still because so much about it is still unknown. Again I wonder how much of what we miss is because so much gets focused on the spike protein.

Here’s my hypothesis:

Pirola has carved out a niche for itself. It’s relatively good at infecting international travellers, who tend to have had recent XBB infections and put themselves in a lot of superspreader situations, but it can’t move quite as fast as Eris and Fornax in the general population.

So in addition to the “what if” of Pirola simply becoming better at infecting cells, we have “what if the general population starts to look more like international travellers, as XBB seropositivity increases and people are brought together in the fall and winter?”

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

xposting from the succ thread to lmao at this poo poo from reddit,

Trabisnikof posted:

from reddit

quote:
This pretty much works for me. Everyone who means anything to me is well vaccinated and takes appropriate precautions. Meanwhile, the Republicans living around me fail to get vaccinated and gather in droves at their megachurches. The net result is that a lot more Republicans than Democrats get covid. The number of excess deaths among Republicans is way higher than among Democrats. I'm okay with that.

quote:
Get vaccinated. That's it - that is what the science says. That's what the public health officials, who we chastised Republicans for not trusting early in the pandemic, say.

We cannot live in a constant state of COVID restrictions, especially when you look at the severe effects keeping kids home had on education. This view of "forever COVID" is a product of hyper-online people and is not even the view of just normal liberal, everyday Democrats. There is a contingent of Progressives that I know in real life who literally continue to advocate staying home, this (and similar opinions) are absolutely ridiculous, impractical, and continue to degrade our nation's mental health. Vaccines are free widely available, quick, and effective at stopping severe COVID. Vaccines are how pandemics end. Trust the science and stop the online alarmism.

quote:
The nation is now “you do you” on everything thanks to Trumpublicans sowing doubt on every government agency. IRS, FBI, Justice Department, CDC are all in his target. Anything that doesn’t conform to his will is “corrupt”. He’s a destroyer of nations.

lmao

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
A friend of mine is attending a clinic at The Alfred Hospital (one of the biggest public hospitals in Melbourne Australia) and she reports that they've completely dropped their covid protocols and mask use is about 50%

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Tzen posted:

xposting from the succ thread to lmao at this poo poo from reddit,

quote:

keeping kids home had on education. This view of "forever COVID" is a product of hyper-online people

lmao

Crazy that those SAD posters post on Reddit too!

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

does she have an account?

lmao

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

Platystemon posted:

Here’s my hypothesis:

Pirola has carved out a niche for itself. It’s relatively good at infecting international travellers, who tend to have had recent XBB infections and put themselves in a lot of superspreader situations, but it can’t move quite as fast as Eris and Fornax in the general population.

So in addition to the “what if” of Pirola simply becoming better at infecting cells, we have “what if the general population starts to look more like international travellers, as XBB seropositivity increases and people are brought together in the fall and winter?”

when did they name a variant after the sex magazine from mass effect

:edi:

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

the insidious celestial makes moves years in advance!

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

edit, oh that was a week ago, nevermind
edit2, lol reposting because the coughing into the hands biden is doing lmao
https://twitter.com/catladyactivist/status/1698876335991431604
VVVV lmao yeah

Tzen has issued a correction as of 07:14 on Sep 5, 2023

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

lmao @ biden coughing into his hand

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

A friend of mine is attending a clinic at The Alfred Hospital (one of the biggest public hospitals in Melbourne Australia) and she reports that they've completely dropped their covid protocols and mask use is about 50%

is there a wave kicking off currently in Australia? because 70% of the people i work with are out sick now. must be allergies i guess

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

toggle posted:

is there a wave kicking off currently in Australia? because 70% of the people i work with are out sick now. must be allergies i guess

Testing & cases reporting in Australia has been nerfed pretty hard so it's anyone's guess. :shrug:

Hospitalizations had been dropping since June but have just leveled out, and since they lag somewhat behind cases there's a pretty good chance a new wave kicked off a few weeks ago

https://twitter.com/dbRaevn/status/1697429191334244653

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Internet Janitor posted:

for rich people for whom money and prescriptions are no object, is there any reason not to be on paxlovid constantly as a prophylactic? i guess some people get the weird taste side effects...

Old rich people are on a million drugs that kind of ping pong them on a narrow path between organ failures until they run out of maneuver space at the age of 150

Not a close contact

genericnick has issued a correction as of 10:46 on Sep 5, 2023

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

https://old.reddit.com/r/BurningMan/comments/15qwvvd/nonamerican_burner_whats_the_covid_situation_in/jw6p9gs/ posted:

My doc gave me a script for Paxlovid on top of the usual “Burning Man Medicine Kit.” (Z-Pak for lungs, Cipro for UTIs, steroids, zofran, anti inflammatories, and an albuterol inhaler) He also said to bring tests!

wtf where do I get a decadent burningman’s doctor?

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Platystemon posted:

Here’s my hypothesis:

There is certainly something to be said about the shallow but wide spread. But health authorities have been fairly good at stating travel activities and for the first cases at least, none had travel activities (besides the Japan -> US case which got picked up by at entry to the US).

Again I submit that cases have been picked up by different means and at a much earlier point of the curve, than we saw before. Beyond the initial Omicron, variants have also been much slower at picking up than most people expect (it took Delta a year to go from samples in India to the US wave).

I think Zantie's got it right. A bunch of the mutations of Pirola are not in the spike, so if their conclusion is that the variant is a non-starter while it spreads quickly across the globe, it seems their methodology is wrong and it isn't Pirola doing a cartoon run of a cliff.

To those who didn't read the posted article previously, this was very enlightening:

Pingui posted:

Cool article, written by a knowledgeable writer on BA.2.86. I found it thought-provoking and insightful. Subsequently it is here in full with all the bells and whistles, with highlights (by me) of some of the BA.2.86 stuff has not had much - if any - exposure.
"Covid-19: The Shapeshifting Protean Virus"

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
Ivermectin cures intestinal worms, but Ivermectin studies causes :brainworms: - many sides.

https://healthfeedback.org/claimrev...risk-infection/ posted:

Posts misrepresent CDC risk assessment of new SARS-CoV-2 variant BA.2.86; COVID-19 vaccines don’t increase the risk of infection

CLAIM: With the new BA.2.86 variant, “We’re in a situation where vaccination, according to the CDC, increases the likelihood of infection”
SOURCE: John Campbell, YouTube, 29 Aug. 2023

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Pingui posted:

Ivermectin cures intestinal worms, but Ivermectin studies causes :brainworms: - many sides.

Lol, forgot about him.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
that dog doesn’t want any part of it

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

I'm not liking this thing doing weird poo poo. Something is off and I don't like it one bit.

StratGoatCom has issued a correction as of 16:13 on Sep 5, 2023

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

https://slate.com/technology/2023/09/endemic-monica-gandhi-covid-masks-lockdowns-school-closures.html posted:

What COVID’s “Wrongest Woman” Got Right
Monica Gandhi became known in some circles for her inaccurate predictions about the pandemic. But her new book, Endemic, provides a road map for future outbreaks that’s worth considering.
:shepface:

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

jesus is coming back!!!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
was at DTW and feel like I am seeing less masks than 3 weeks ago.

on a business trip so I will be about 50% nitric oxide by the end of this thing.

a flight attendant is masked which is a first for me since I’ve flown a number of times since 2021.