Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

KillHour posted:

I had someone ask me to buy beer for them in NYS because the clerk wouldn't take their passport as a form of ID. I didn't do it because gently caress getting roped into the liability for that but I did feel bad for the guy.

lol at any place in NYS throwing stones in glass houses

weren’t their licenses practically paper up until like 10 years ago

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Buff Hardback posted:

lol at any place in NYS throwing stones in glass houses

weren’t their licenses practically paper up until like 10 years ago

No they were bendy plastic and I never had a problem with them until they changed them and now they are made out of brittle PVC and get loving stress cracks from pulling them out of your wallet all the time.

Screw people who complained about them because they were durable and worked just fine and now they're poo poo just like everyone else's.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

NPR Journalizard posted:

Yeah I don't carry a wallet any more, I just use my phone for everything.

Yeah, 99% of the time I have a card, my ID, and my health insurance in the popsocket wallet I superglued to my phone case. I have a big wallet in my car but I only take it with me when I know I need some specific thing from within.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

I'm gonna start carrying a fanny pack with all sorts of poo poo in it to spite you no wallet people. That'll show you.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I have one of those apple magnetic card sleeves with my id and a cc for daily carry and anything else is as needed

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

jaegerx posted:

I'm gonna start carrying a fanny pack with all sorts of poo poo in it to spite you no wallet people. That'll show you.

if I need more than the above, I go the opposite and bring my 28l backpack

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

The Fool posted:

if I need more than the above, I go the opposite and bring my 28l backpack

https://www.peakdesign.com/collections/everyday-bags/products/everyday-backpack?variant=29743300771884

That's mine, I loving love it so much.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

that looks really nice, I'd have no need for the camera insert though

this is mine, and I've been very happy with it: https://www.rei.com/product/176900/rei-co-op-ruckpack-28-recycled-daypack-mens

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

I want to murder my buildings engineer. We had 3 hours to work in the floor below us so I was there at 5 with contractors and it took an hour and change for the building guy who had acess to the second floor to get there. I got up at 430 for no goddamn reason.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

jaegerx posted:

Liquor stores aren’t supposed to accept passports as legal id in Texas

So...foreigners not welcome then, I take it. I'm from the UK, I'm not going to have a valid US driver's licence or state ID card, now am I ;p

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/network-watcher/vnet-flow-logs-overview

Wow you fuckers probably could’ve done this the whole time and you wait til now to do it huh. Better late then never I guess

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
Dumb win, but an office of ours was moving and had the ISP information ahead of time and I was on PTO for 2 weeks. I configured a secondary interface on the edge palo alto as the new ISP, and when they moved and plugged it in, it just worked without any fuss. It's the little things.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

KillHour posted:

I had someone ask me to buy beer for them in NYS because the clerk wouldn't take their passport as a form of ID. I didn't do it because gently caress getting roped into the liability for that but I did feel bad for the guy.

jaegerx posted:

Well I guess that liquor store guy was just a dick

jaegerx posted:

Liquor stores aren’t supposed to accept passports as legal id in Texas

i am a moron posted:

https://txresponsibleserving.com/we...l%20government.

Wrong?

Edit: better link: https://www.tabc.texas.gov/public-safety/age-verification/

Texas establishments can just make up their own rules to deny service but they absolutely don’t have to. What a shithole some of you live in

Just adding to this, often there is a local policy put in place by management about not accepting "foreign" or non-frequent ids. The basis I heard for this was that while they have guides on how to deal with spotting fakes, they come across these types of ID so infrequently that its easier just to deny you service than to deal with the possibility of a bad/fake ID. Probably also ontop of being dinged for fake ids previously.

I always go out with some form of ID, unless its like for a walk around the park. I got pulled over once without my drivers license and so lucky that the cop didn't want to big a dick to me, while driving with out of state plates/license after having just moved to texas.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I find it a bit strange that the (at least self described) land of freedoms and small government has such a hard-on for doing "papers please" at every opportunity.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Thanks Ants posted:

I find it a bit strange that the (at least self described) land of freedoms and small government has such a hard-on for doing "papers please" at every opportunity.

Don't find it strange, that's what they do.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

We Americans are more about projecting an image than actually doing anything.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Thanks Ants posted:

That’s freedom, bay-bee

And yeah, the entire country is built on projection, puritan shame and racism. poo poo sucks and I’m a cis-white dude who isn’t catching any of the worst of it.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Thanks Ants posted:

It’s one of the lowest effort and safest ways for those enforcement agencies to get money.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

i am a moron posted:

https://txresponsibleserving.com/we...l%20government.

Wrong?

Edit: better link: https://www.tabc.texas.gov/public-safety/age-verification/

Texas establishments can just make up their own rules to deny service but they absolutely don’t have to. What a shithole some of you live in

I worked at a mom and pop liquor store for 6 years in Texas, the frequency of getting out of country IDs being 10 miles from the border was pretty common. The only passports we would accept would be US passports. There is a guide book for spotting fake IDs or some such poo poo but a cop told us it was only for police departments and or it was some expensive tome that would immediately be obsolete as soon as a year would pass.

In my time there I probably busted people with fake IDs once or twice a year, other times it would be expired IDs or IDs with no pictures on them, or straight up ID badges from people that just got out from jail.

Most common fake IDs were out of state ones. I would always have to do research online to see what the new standards were from other states.

Most fraud though would come from obviously of age people trying to use Visa gift cards that would indicate it needed to be inserted for a non existent chip and they'd just insist it would need to be swiped. That's a case of someone stealing the information off a mag strip and putting it on another card hoping to use it before it got flagged.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

Jiro posted:

There is a guide book for spotting fake IDs or some such poo poo but a cop told us it was only for police departments and or it was some expensive tome that would immediately be obsolete as soon as a year would pass.

You mentioning this made me remember that I've seen these books. The one the BP my buddy was working at, was already out of date in that year it had been printed, due to changes made for under 18 licenses in the state at the time (vertical, not horizontal).

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
All that work when we should either go back to prohibition like adults or stop the pretense of caring about being a society and let teens drink

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

No booze only guns

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

tokin opposition posted:

All that work when we should either go back to prohibition like adults or stop the pretense of caring about being a society and let teens drink

its about racism not underage drinking

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

GreenNight posted:

No booze only guns

Prohibition always works

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Jiro posted:

I worked at a mom and pop liquor store for 6 years in Texas, the frequency of getting out of country IDs being 10 miles from the border was pretty common. The only passports we would accept would be US passports. There is a guide book for spotting fake IDs or some such poo poo but a cop told us it was only for police departments and or it was some expensive tome that would immediately be obsolete as soon as a year would pass.

In my time there I probably busted people with fake IDs once or twice a year, other times it would be expired IDs or IDs with no pictures on them, or straight up ID badges from people that just got out from jail.

Most common fake IDs were out of state ones. I would always have to do research online to see what the new standards were from other states.

Most fraud though would come from obviously of age people trying to use Visa gift cards that would indicate it needed to be inserted for a non existent chip and they'd just insist it would need to be swiped. That's a case of someone stealing the information off a mag strip and putting it on another card hoping to use it before it got flagged.

Visa prepaid also will not decline if there’s not enough money on the card for everything but instead dump what it CAN cover and return an approved code since what was on there was approved. If whoevers on the register doesn’t realize this and they don’t have the POS set up to warm them of partial approval you can walk out of there paying $1 for a $50 check.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

The Fool posted:

I just got added to a meeting called "IT Leadership - Quality Focus" by the CIO

I'm not very happy about this

they sent out a pre-meeting survey, this is psychopath poo poo

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

we're trying out teamviewer as our primary remote support tool (coworker wanted it and I used it as a kid) and the demo they did crashed and burned so hard

turns out they've "never been hacked" and use ~military grade encryption~, the unattended host never crashes, and it works with 56kbps.

the demo failed because the unattended host crashed

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The Fool posted:

they sent out a pre-meeting survey, this is psychopath poo poo

:sever:

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

tokin opposition posted:

turns out they've "never been hacked"

https://www.trendmicro.com/vinfo/fr/security/news/cyber-attacks/hack-on-teamviewer-after-reported-unauthorized-connections

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life

tokin opposition posted:

we're trying out teamviewer as our primary remote support tool (coworker wanted it and I used it as a kid) and the demo they did crashed and burned so hard

turns out they've "never been hacked" and use ~military grade encryption~, the unattended host never crashes, and it works with 56kbps.

the demo failed because the unattended host crashed

Demo connectwise control or just skip the demo and license it instead.

I somehow convinced my boss to order a netally linkrunner g2. it’s now the single most expensive piece of equipment my department owns.
Before I was testing using a $30 tool I bought myself at Home Depot.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

On top of everything, isn't TeamViewer pretty insanely expensive?

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Thanks Ants posted:

On top of everything, isn't TeamViewer pretty insanely expensive?

Yes, but it's what my boss decided to demo.

Cyks posted:

Demo connectwise control or just skip the demo and license it instead.

I somehow convinced my boss to order a netally linkrunner g2. it’s now the single most expensive piece of equipment my department owns.
Before I was testing using a $30 tool I bought myself at Home Depot.

This looks good, I'll raise it as a possibility

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

GreenNight posted:

I have a controller for my gaming pc. I’ve been building them for decades. It’s just not fun for me anymore. I hate upgrading it and all that garbage. It’s a job now. Just let me buy a console, plug it in, and play a game.

Ancient post but I agree. I just spent a sickening amount of money, 3 days, and 3 trips to microcenter to buy, build, troubleshoot, rebuild, troubleshoot again, then finally have a nice new pc.

Next time I’m gonna let people build it for me as consoles are still a worse gaming experience, however. Consoles are to iphones as pcs are to androids only worse because at least an iPhone usually simply works.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Diqnol posted:

Next time I’m gonna let people build it for me as consoles are still a worse gaming experience, however. Consoles are to iphones as pcs are to androids only worse because at least an iPhone usually simply works.

buddy, i'm gonna stop you there, buddy

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
I couch game from my PC with an HDMI switch, bluetooth headphones and controller and a hotkey to switch the primary monitor. barely harder than booting a console up

btw i use linux

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

I had my gaming PC hooked to my TV for a long time. Ended up still being too much time spent troubleshooting.

Although this PS4 game I've been playing on the PS5 crashes once every 45-60 minutes which is good times.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life

tokin opposition posted:

Yes, but it's what my boss decided to demo.

This looks good, I'll raise it as a possibility

Just to give you an idea if pricing is a concern, me and my one coworker just use one license to support 200+ work stations and it costs like $50/mo. Comes with unattended and backstage access.

We will most likely get a second when we hire another person and hit 300+ devices.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The Fool posted:

I have one of those apple magnetic card sleeves with my id and a cc for daily carry and anything else is as needed

I never really understood why this would be better than just having, you know, a small card holder wallet as its own thing?

You are still carrying a wallet and a phone, they are just sometimes stuck together, making the whole footprint thicker and making it more inconvenient to use either one of them.

I just have a small Herschel Supply Charlie wallet for a handful of cards and like a $20 bill in reserve just in case I would need some cash and that’s all I really need to carry around. It’s not any bigger than a magsafe type wallet, it cost me under $20, and it blocks RFID. That and my car key in my left front pocket, phone in right front pocket. That’s it.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

bull3964 posted:

You are still carrying a wallet and a phone, they are just sometimes stuck together
yes

quote:

making the whole footprint thicker and making it more inconvenient to use either one of them.

actually no

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Got a linked in recruiter email.... $11-$17 more an hour but it's in person help desk and for executives. Think I'll set up an interview but honestly I'm comfortable just sticking here until I start getting system admin or cloud offers.