Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I just got an $40 Android head unit that lets me shitpost on SA while on the highway :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Wireless CarPlay kinda sucks rear end. It is basically real time video streaming from your phone to the head unit and it is significantly laggier than wired, especially if large sections of the screen updates rapidly (like the map zooming in to show an upcoming intersection).

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

mobby_6kl posted:

I just got an $40 Android head unit that lets me shitpost on SA while on the highway :shrug:

I really hope you're kidding about posting while driving.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Aramis posted:

No, I'm pretty sure no car on the market has a "pretend I'm parked and let all apps do anything all the time" toggle.

Tesla briefly allowed gaming while driving until the NHTSA told them to knock it off.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Javid posted:

That whole battleship grounding fiasco is a pretty osha tale itself. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1950_USS_Missouri_grounding

Multiple people telling the captain "turn right there's a sandbar right there" for a full seven minutes before performing the world's first nautical 50:50 grind on the clearly visible sandbar.

Shot:

Chaser:

Also,

yeah ok I can see those top anchors digging down to bedrock while they're doing whatever this is

quote:

At this time Commander Peckham sent a message to Captain Brown stating "Ship heading into Danger shoals. Recommend you come right immediately!", but this message was relayed by "talkers" (men charged with relaying messages for officers to different stations) and the talker who was supposed to pass Peckham's message to Brown had a tendency to mumble badly.

lol

lushka16
Apr 8, 2003

Doctor of Love
College Slice

Shifty Pony posted:

Wireless CarPlay kinda sucks rear end. It is basically real time video streaming from your phone to the head unit and it is significantly laggier than wired, especially if large sections of the screen updates rapidly (like the map zooming in to show an upcoming intersection).

And a huge battery drain. Same for Android Auto.

The best way to use these is plugged in :shrug:

Roundup Ready
Mar 10, 2004

ACCIDENTAL SHIT POSTER

I had a loaner VW id4 recently while my car was in the shop. Only had it a few days, but the interface was snappy, and the phone shelf was a wireless charger. Was honestly pretty impressed. Android Auto btw.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
I use wireless Android Auto with an AAwireless adapter. Works fine for me :shrug:

I also just put my phone on the wireless chargins spot in my car so the battery doesnt drain!

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

There Bias Two posted:

I really hope you're kidding about posting while driving.

Doing it right now, it's perfectly sa

Roundup Ready
Mar 10, 2004

ACCIDENTAL SHIT POSTER

Shai-Hulud posted:

I use wireless Android Auto with an AAwireless adapter. Works fine for me :shrug:

I also just put my phone on the wireless chargins spot in my car so the battery doesnt drain!

:hfive:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

silentsnack posted:

'rf concrete that fails if it gets wet' sounds pretty cursed on its own merit, but how much asbestos is involved?

In Sweden they used radioactive concrete for some years, creating extremely high concentrations of radon in the structures. Who could have known that using aggregate from uranium mines was a bad idea?

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Sep 5, 2023

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Entropic posted:

I’m a Luddite but just for the specific issue of I think all car controls should be tactile and touchscreens should be illegal in cars. The poo poo car manufacturers are doing is already dangerous and then you have people selling poo poo like this on top of it…

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

I put a Pioneer deck with a CD player, satellite radio hookup with a radio, and bluetooth with a mic in my truck pretty much first thing after I bought it. The only other thing I wish it had was a tape deck :unsmigghh:

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Roundup Ready posted:

I had a loaner VW id4 recently while my car was in the shop. Only had it a few days, but the interface was snappy, and the phone shelf was a wireless charger. Was honestly pretty impressed. Android Auto btw.

I got to ride in one of these the other night too. I hate cars in general but it was honestly rad as gently caress, exactly how electric cars should be done. Unfortunately we were stuck in traffic trying to get to the Smashing Pumpkins concert but in the few moments the road opened up I got to experience that electric torque. And yeah, I'm not a fan of touchscreen-everything but the interior was very comfortable and the dash was laid out very reasonably. And you can customize the RGB accent lights all around the car, which is the dumbest gimmick feature ever but I'm a sucker for that poo poo so I loved it.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Best part is they double as bottle openers.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Ambassadorofsodomy posted:

Best part is they double as bottle openers.

that's the most important feature, if we're being honest

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
https://twitter.com/tannerkahler/status/1698809978939691252?s=20

Ironhead
Jan 19, 2005

Ironhead. Mmm.

I bought a couple sets of these. We only used them off road and on personal property. They were great out on my buddys cattle ranch, where I'm not sure you could get over 5 mph out in the fields and I often found myself half hanging out the passenger window when we were running fence lines and stuff.

I don't think that one case use really justifies their existance.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Ironhead posted:

Boss has one cause his dog trips the weight sensor on the passenger seat.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I've thought about getting something similar because if I set down my backpack on the passenger seat it can set it off.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Ironhead posted:

I bought a couple sets of these. We only used them off road and on personal property. They were great out on my buddys cattle ranch, where I'm not sure you could get over 5 mph out in the fields and I often found myself half hanging out the passenger window when we were running fence lines and stuff.

I know of at least two cops who use them, so the seatbelt doesn't snag on their gear when they need to jump out in a hurry.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

canyoneer posted:

I know of at least two cops who use them, so the seatbelt doesn't snag on their gear when they need to jump out in a hurry.

A note on this, the top three line of duty causes of death for police are covid-19, heart problems, and auto accidents. Gunshot wounds are #4 but they commonly omit that the overwhelming majority of those are self inflicted.

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
jerk off while driving that's why I tinted the windows

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
That one weird trick the seatbelt cheating industry doesn't want you to know about:

Fasten the seatbelt and then sit down.

Minds blown!!

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Ambassadorofsodomy posted:

That one weird trick the seatbelt cheating industry doesn't want you to know about :

Fasten the seatbelt and then sit down.

Minds blown!!

But how will I open my beer?

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

deong posted:

But how will I open my beer?

that's why you keep kids in the car, to open beers and light ciggs.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
SOUND OFF

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FI7l3Xr1uQY

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS posted:

Tinted... the windows... with what? :ohdear:

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Remember: even at rest, helicopters yearn for destruction

https://i.imgur.com/bfKIUS0.gifv

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Bad Munki posted:

Remember: even at rest, helicopters yearn for destruction

https://i.imgur.com/bfKIUS0.gifv

The noble fixed wing attempts to rid the world of one more aeronautical abomination, even at the potential cost of its own life :blessed:

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Tyres are deeply cursed by being insanely vulcanized and full of additives rubber, which makes the rubber lovely to recycle (since all the steps for recycling is what it's specifically compounded to resist when used as a tyre) while also being full of wire, kevlar and other random reinforcement poo poo which means you have to basically entirely shred the tyre to a fine powder before you can even get the recyclable material out. Then you are stuck with worthless shredded Kevlar and equally worthless shredded rubber.

I think the shredded rubber is finding a new lease of life as a material for making sound dampening out of for reducing highway and train noise, and it's always been semi useful as a filler in paving asphalt (for driveways, rather than highways) and is occasionally bonded together for tiles to be used in playgrounds to stop kids smashing their skulls when they fall off a 17 ft high climbing frame, but the *volume* of tyres globally means even then it's not economically feasible to actually find a use for it all.

stone soup
Jul 8, 2004

Drone_Fragger posted:

Tyres are deeply cursed by being insanely vulcanized and full of additives

[…]

it's always been semi useful as a filler in paving asphalt (for driveways, rather than highways) and is occasionally bonded together for tiles to be used in playgrounds to stop kids smashing their skulls when they fall off a 17 ft high climbing frame

for a while the trend around here was to replace aging playgrounds with new equipment on-top of a recycled tire-crumb base, but i don’t think that’s happening anymore (here, locally i mean)

“The material can contain heavy metals like lead and manganese, volatile organic compounds like toluene, and polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons. The chemicals are associated with cancer and other illnesses at certain levels of exposure.

[…]

Exposure to any one of the chemicals typically found in used tires is concerning, said Homero Harari, with the Institute for Exposomic Research at Mount Sinai in New York. But the mixture is even more worrisome, he said.

[…]

“The main concern is that there was a lack of safety testing prior to the introduction of the material in playing surfaces,” Harari said. “As scientists we normally apply the precautionary principle – when we know that there’s concern about a substance or chemical, we normally try to avoid it.”
Crumb rubber often breaks apart, spreading into the air children breathe and getting swallowed when kids put their hands in their mouths.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Unperson_47 posted:

Antique arms, armor, and martial arts Youtuber Matt Easton of the Scholagladiatoria channel uploaded a video of his tour of the weapon and armor manufacturer Windlass in India.

They seem to do loving everything there: sword blades, spearheads, axe-heads, polearm heads, wooden shafts, leather for scabbards, shields, and casting and finishing/polishing all the brass and steel hardware for everything like the pommels.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8iaS9NAyO3Y

ugh they need to get with the times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WiCZ8yMh1Gc

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2AFRqTyBLk

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p299zc38S84

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread

canyoneer posted:

Why not just use the drive through?

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
I’ve been covering Beirut for 20 years as a journalist. I’ve lived through wars, airstrikes, seen assassinations, car bombs, and narrowly survived the port explosion. I thought I’d seen it all. I didn’t expect to find more blood than I’ve seen in Beirut on an Air France plane

The French!

The Peccadillo fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Sep 6, 2023

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS posted:

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

What I don't understand is why you don't just click in the existing seatbelt and sit on it or something. I frequently have to fasten my passenger side seatbelt (with nobody in it) when driving home with groceries or when transporting food for a party in order to silence the alarm, which, again, has nobody in it to protect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stratego
May 6, 2007

Why would I be instructed to not listen to Still DRE?