Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
https://twitter.com/WarOnDumb/status/1699063982597026271

Alabama had their 2020 redistricting map slapped down by the courts, again. This is the legislature'a second try (designed by the solicitor general to get this result) but, in effect, is the original map. As noted in the tweet (Whitmer is a longtime AL politics columnist in mainstream papers), even the Trump judges are pretty livid about the state's clear effort to get this back to SCOTUS to continue shredding the VRA.

It's the first time I can recall a conservative panel calling a state out for wasting time to get to a Purcell ruling, which has unambiguously happened here (AL asked for 5 weeks to create a new, compliant plan and returned with an extraordinarily noncompliant map). Court has ordered a special master to create a usable map for 2024 and the remainder of the cycle, and Alabama is expected to appeal that result given the constitutional presumption that a state will draw its own maps. Alabama allegedly needs the map by October for the 2024 elections, so a sympathetic SCOTUS can deny Black Alabama citizens their constitutional rights for another cycle if they choose. Really just a question of if they decide Alabama's been too blatant and they'd like a case with less obvious malfeasance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

I wonder if SCOTUS keeps loving around with gerrymandering it'd accidentally take the gloves off California to cut the R-CA delegation down from 12 to like 4. That and if NY dems can stop loving it up, the Republicans would be hosed. Gerrymander for a few cycles until you have the political power to securely enshrine voting rights and break gerrymandering once and for all.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Main Paineframe posted:

She isn't chasing after people who want to kill Jews. She's chasing after people who want to kill Muslims.

Has she? It seems like the only time she ever gets mentioned nowadays is either when she's doing something for the attention (see when she handcuffed herself to Twitter's office door) or because she's trying to gently caress actual neo-nazis who are openly anti-semitic, or is surprised that the actual literal swastika-bearing nazis openly hate her.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

duodenum posted:

I wonder if SCOTUS keeps loving around with gerrymandering it'd accidentally take the gloves off California to cut the R-CA delegation down from 12 to like 4. That and if NY dems can stop loving it up, the Republicans would be hosed. Gerrymander for a few cycles until you have the political power to securely enshrine voting rights and break gerrymandering once and for all.

The question is if a gerrymandered-in dem from CA or NY would willingly sacrifice their own seat and likely political career for the good of the republic. I have my doubts.

gurragadon
Jul 28, 2006

Discendo Vox posted:

A quick googling suggests this appears to have an absolutely terrible reputation for promoting pseudoscience. Who funded it?

edit: god, I loving hate netflix. Its "documentaries" have basically been an open spigot of sewage into viewer brains.

Netflix documentaries are pretty much trash, and they seem to approve basically everything, but documentary film can be about pseudoscience beliefs. Documentary in the popular mind has taken on the idea that it's telling you a fact, but it's really just a movie that documents. I haven't seen that particular documentary though so I don't know how the information is presented, if it's presented as "fact" and not as "belief" that I find it would be a poorly made documentary.

Classic examples are Nanook of the North which used plenty of pre-staged shots and is still considered a documentary. Or something like Man with a Movie Camera which doesn't really make a point, but just documents cities in Russia and the film makers in inventive ways.

A more modern example of a documentary that pushed a hybrid fictional telling would be The Act of Killing, with reenactments of events from someones perspective.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Main Paineframe posted:

She doesn't support this particular group. She supports many other political positions and movements that they also support, but she doesn't support this one specific anti-Semitic group. Also, she suggests that they might secretly be Feds false-flagging to make the whole movement look bad.

It's a pretty normal thing, actually. It's just cognitive dissonance. People have no problem supporting groups dedicated to hating minorities in general while closing their eyes to groups dedicated to hating the particular minority group they're part of. Similarly, they have no problem finding excuses to discount embarrassing or offensive behavior from their allies.

And of course, they're quick to oppose any measures against those offensive allies that might also hurt the movement as a whole. Loomer follows up the description of the event (which she posted online herself) with a self-righteous spiel about how everyone has the freedom to say whatever they want, "even if they are irrational Nazi trolls (and possibly even Feds)".

Of course. From their own perspective, hating other minority groups is incredibly logical and makes perfect sense, but hating Jews is just silly and doesn't make any sense at all, so they tend to find it hard to believe that anything more than a tiny fringe really believes in hating Jews.

Hell, you can even see bits of this in Loomer's post (red underlines mine).

Notice that she isn't mad at them because they're hateful or because they want to banish or kill her. She's mad at them because they're "vitriolic" and "irrational".

And I highlighted "irrational" specifically for a reason. By itself, it seems like a weird word to use here, but she has history with that particular word. She once infamously claimed that it wasn't right to call her an Islamophobe, because a phobia is an irrational fear, and she felt that it was completely rational and justified for her to fear (and hate) Muslims. With that as context, her referring to anti-Semitic neo-Nazis as "irrational" makes more sense: it's not that she opposes their genocidal hatred in general, it's just that she thinks it doesn't make any sense for them to aim it at her own identity, let alone her herself.

She thinks it makes perfect sense for them to aim that same level of hatred at other groups, and the problem with their hateful behavior is just that they're aiming it at a group it doesn't make sense to aim it at. And I'm sure she believes deep down that they're a tiny fringe with little pull in the actual movement - after all, their beliefs don't make any sense, unlike hers which she believes are completely understandable and persuasive.

To be fair to all the conservative Zaydes and Bubbis in Florida, the actual mainstream Republican party in Florida is not advocating throwing them in ovens or openly supporting the concepts of Neo-Nazism. If anything, they are overly pro-Semitic and constantly trying to reach out to them. It doesn't really take any cognitive dissonance to think that voting for the people who will keep the income tax eliminated in Florida so they can draw from their retirement tax-free in Florida and talk about how much they love Israel are not going to throw them into the oven.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
In other Georgia RICO news, they're continuing to terrorize the Stop Cop City movement using the state's extraordinarily broad RICO laws. In this case, they've expanded to tie in leafletters.

https://twitter.com/atlanta_press/status/1699048574862958765
https://twitter.com/atlanta_press/status/1699067502637219970

Also concerning is the continued effort to criminalize the bail/solidarity fund.

It's part of the reason I had concern with Willis' decisions in the Trump indictment, where she used the full expanse of a pretty unhinged law. It's tougher to draw attention to this blatant abuse when a chunk of Willis' overt acts were also pretty explicitly protected behavior.

This is both a reminder of how red state officials will continue to abuse any law they can to criminalize dissent and that just because there's mutual dislike between Trump and Kemp doesn't mean Kemp hasn't spent his entire career abusing the law for political benefit. including the 2018 accusation and faux-investigation, two days before the election, that Abrams and the Democratic Party tried to hack the state's voter registration systems

quote:

It was a stunning accusation: Two days before the 2018 election for Georgia governor, Republican Brian Kemp used his power as secretary of state to open an investigation into what he called a “failed hacking attempt” of voter registration systems involving the Democratic Party.

But newly released case files from the Georgia Bureau of Investigation reveal that there was no such hacking attempt.

The evidence from the closed investigation indicates that Kemp’s office mistook planned security tests and a warning about potential election security holes for malicious hacking.

Kemp then wrongly accused his political opponents just before Election Day — a high-profile salvo that drew national media attention in one of the most closely watched races of 2018

quote:

The internet activity that Kemp’s staff described as hacking attempts was actually scans by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security that the secretary of state’s office had agreed to, according to the GBI. Kemp’s chief information officer signed off on the DHS scans three months beforehand.

Although there was no malicious hack, the GBI files also report that the state’s website where voters can check their information did have a significant vulnerability — a flaw Kemp’s staff still won’t acknowledge a year and a half later.

Candice Broce, Kemp’s spokeswoman, continued to insist Friday that elections officials responded to a “failed cyber intrusion,” despite the GBI’s findings that scans came from DHS.

“The attorney general determined that the secretary of state’s office properly referred this matter to law enforcement for investigation,” Broce said. “The systems put in place by Brian Kemp as Georgia’s secretary of state kept voter data safe and secure.”

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

KillHour posted:

The question is if a gerrymandered-in dem from CA or NY would willingly sacrifice their own seat and likely political career for the good of the republic. I have my doubts.

Given that the sentiment among Democratic party politicians seems to be "Actually, we need a strong Republican party", I doubt it.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

the_steve posted:

Given that the sentiment among Democratic party politicians seems to be "Actually, we need a strong Republican party", I doubt it.

California passed a constitutional amendment to hand over its redistricting process to a non-partisan committee.

New York, New Jersey, Maryland, and Illinois actually have gerrymandered the Republicans into very "unfair" districts.

Illinois in particular is gerrymandered against the GOP in a pretty extreme way. Republicans tends to get about 42% of the statewide vote in Illinois, but only get 17% of the congressional seats.

New York's most recent maps fell to a court ruling following a constitutional amendment to end partisan gerrymandering and are being redone this year after having a fairly pro-GOP map in 2022, so not sure what that will look like.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

I don't know if more uncompetitive Congressional seats is what this country needs, even if they're filled with Democrats.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Fewer fascists in positions of power is a good thing, by most means- especially if that specific means is already being used by the fascists in other places.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

Judgy Fucker posted:

I don't know if more uncompetitive Congressional seats is what this country needs, even if they're filled with Democrats.

Gerrymandering can create more "competitive" seats, in that a gerrymandered map will create an 80/20 entirely noncompetitive seat in order to turn two other seats into 55-45 seats.

It's meant to give the opposing party massive advantages in a small amount of seats (thus "wasting" a higher percentage of their votes) and your party a smaller yet comfortable advantage in a large amount of seats.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Judgy Fucker posted:

No but unilateral disarmament doesn’t work. Sure, gerrymandering needs fixed, badly, but only fixing it in states where it is benefiting Democrats is only going to make everything worse.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

duodenum posted:

This is basically what Illinois decided to do last cycle and its working a treat, highly recommend.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

the_steve posted:

Is this actually a real world thing at all, or is it one of those internet telephone games like how Obama saying he's not a communist and Republicans used to have a liberal wing morphed into him being Reagan's biggest fan?
Because the ones that always get seem to cited (like when Pelosi used that exact phrasing to trash-talk Republicans and call them a "cult") are really REALLY clearly "the Republican party isn't going to dissolve tomorrow and we'd like them to be reasonable opposition rather than unhinged psychos." Again, that quote literally called modern Republicans a cult.:

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1523812812434329602

This is, remember, someone who well remembers plenty of pro-choice Republicans and when Nixon signed the EPA into law. It seems to be right in line with the common leftist criticism of the Democratic party getting lazy especially in blue states since being able to point to the shitshow on the other side keeps them from having to be a positive good themselves.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Quixzlizx posted:

Gerrymandering can create more "competitive" seats, in that a gerrymandered map will create an 80/20 entirely noncompetitive seat in order to turn two other seats into 55-45 seats.

It's meant to give the opposing party massive advantages in a small amount of seats (thus "wasting" a higher percentage of their votes) and your party a smaller yet comfortable advantage in a large amount of seats.
You beat me to the general case - this is known as stacking. So, for the most part, to the extent Dems dive in on gerrymandering for an advantage in seats, it'll actually be creating more noncompetitive GOP seats. Unfortunately,

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Fewer fascists in positions of power is a good thing, by most means- especially if that specific means is already being used by the fascists in other places.
Noncompetitive GOP seats lead to an environment where GOP primaries are what determine the candidate, which has tended to lead to more overtly fashy candidates who are also outside of leadership's control.

The alternative form of gerrymandering tends to be even more racialized - cracking. That's what is at play in Alabama, where the state GOP has split a segment of black voters between districts in a way to ensure that they're the "35%" in 2 65R-35D districts and thus have basically no political power in either district. Texas is notorious for doing this with Hispanic voters as well.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Not incredibly surprising, but roughly 7 in 10 Republicans said that Trump being convicted would have no impact on their support for him and only 13% said it would cause them to no longer support him.

A full majority (52% to 60%) have already ruled out ever supporting Pence, Christie, or Asa Hutchinson under any circumstances. Christie being the highest at 60%.

Asked to name their biggest worry about Trump as a candidate, the top three answers GOP voters provided were:

quote:

- 8% say their biggest worry is that his opponents will attack him or not work with him
- 8% that they are concerned about “his mouth,” tact and abrasiveness
- 7% that he’s too disliked and treated unfairly

DeSantis is still in second place, but way behind. Vivek Ramaswamy is the only candidate to significantly increase their support - going from 1% to 6%. All other candidates basically stayed the same or fell.

Trump is still sitting at "only" around 50%, but despite about half of GOP voters saying they aren't 100% committed to him yet, nobody else is even close and DeSantis is still 34 points behind him.

https://twitter.com/mkraju/status/1699091674209677633

quote:

CNN Poll: GOP voters’ broad support for Trump holds, with less than half seriously worried criminal charges will harm his 2024 chances

Former President Donald Trump continues to hold what has proven to be an unshakeable position atop the Republican field of candidates vying to take on President Joe Biden next year, according to a new CNN poll conducted by SSRS.

Trump is the top choice for his party’s nomination at the traditional Labor Day start to a more engaged campaign season, ahead of his nearest rival by more than 30 percentage points (52% of Republicans and Republican-leaning independent voters support him, compared with 18% behind Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis). And Trump is broadly seen as best able to handle a wide range of issues.

More than 4 in 10 in the potential GOP primary electorate say they have definitely decided to support him for the nomination (43% are definite Trump backers, 20% are firmly behind another candidate, and 37% have no first choice or say they could change their minds). Nearly two-thirds consider him one of their top two choices, and 61% say they think he is extremely or very likely to become the party’s nominee, up from 52% at the start of the summer. Most feel the criminal charges Trump faces are not relevant to his ability to serve as president, and a majority of GOP-aligned voters are not seriously concerned about the impact the charges could have on Trump’s electability.

Despite these dominant numbers, the poll does suggest his appeal has waned for at least some segment of the party. Around 1 in 5 Republican-aligned voters say they would not support Trump in the primary under any circumstances and 16% say the charges he faces related to his role in the January 6, 2021, attack on the US Capitol are disqualifying if true – but that segment remains a minority and has not consolidated around any single Trump rival.

The poll — conducted entirely after the first GOP debate in August, which Trump did not attend – finds DeSantis the only other contender to reach double-digits, although his backing has dipped 8 points since June. Behind him, former Vice President Mike Pence and former United Nations Ambassador Nikki Haley hold 7% support each, with businessman Vivek Ramaswamy at 6%. South Carolina Sen. Tim Scott has 3% support, former New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie has 2%, and the rest of the tested field stands at 1% or less.

Trump’s standing in first-choice preferences has rebounded since CNN’s June poll, though the share calling him one of their top two choices or rating him favorably both remain lower than this spring. He’s up 5 points overall as voters’ first choice, including apparent upticks among White college-educated voters (up 6 points since June), and self-identified Republicans (up 10 points). But the 63% of all GOP-aligned voters placing him in their top two remains about where it was in June (61%), a step lower than in May (68%), as does his overall favorability rating with that group (69% now, 77% in May). In the new poll, a 94% majority of Trump’s supporters view him favorably, but that falls to just 42% among those not currently supporting him in the primary.

Trump’s criminal charges
A minority, 44%, of Republicans and Republican-leaning independents say they are seriously concerned that the criminal charges Trump faces will negatively affect his ability to win the 2024 election if he becomes the Republican nominee, while 56% are not seriously concerned about that. A third of those who back Trump have those concerns (34%), rising to 54% among Republicans supporting another candidate.

Republican-aligned adults are less concerned, though, that Trump’s legal fights will negatively affect his ability to serve another full term as president if reelected (32% are seriously concerned about that) or to be an effective president if elected while facing criminal charges (35%).

Broadly speaking, Republicans and Republican-leaning independents say that, if true, the charges Trump faces across four criminal cases are not relevant to his fitness for the presidency (70% say so regarding the charges related to hush money payments to an adult film actress, and 64% each say the same about charges related to classified documents, efforts to overturn the 2020 election, and related to his role in January 6.)

And most, 61%, say that Trump faces so many criminal charges largely because of political abuse of the justice system (14% feel his situation is largely due to his own actions, while 25% say it’s hard to tell before trials are held).

Among the public more broadly, however, about half say that the January 6-related charges (51%) and the charges related to efforts to overturn the 2020 election (48%) should disqualify Trump from the presidency if true. A similar 47% feel that Trump faces so many charges largely as a result of his own actions, while just 31% see the number of charges as due primarily to political abuse of the justice system.

When asked to name their biggest concern about Trump as a candidate, Republican-aligned voters largely do not cite his legal woes. Just 6% name the indictments he’s facing or his legal situation, and 3% mention worry that he could be convicted or imprisoned. Overall, 18% say they have no concerns about Trump as a candidate or offer a positive comment about him. After that, 8% say their biggest worry is that his opponents will attack him or not work with him, 8% that they are concerned about “his mouth,” tact and abrasiveness, 7% that he’s too disliked and treated unfairly, and 6% name his ego or arrogance.

There are wide differences in this question between those who back Trump now and those supporting other candidates. Nearly 3 in 10 Trump backers say they have no concerns (29%), 12% mention opposition attacks, 8% that elections are rigged against him, 7% that he’s too disliked, 6% his tact level and 5% the indictments. By contrast, some of the top concerns about Trump among Republican-aligned voters who support others are dishonesty and corruption (11%), his tact level (9%), his ego or arrogance (9%), electability (9%), indictments (8%) and erratic or unstable behavior (7%).

Candidate preferences more locked in now than in previous cycles
Republican-aligned voters in the poll who have a first-choice candidate broadly say that policy positions matter more than character and personal traits in deciding their vote – 77% feel their candidate’s positions on the issues are the main reason for their support. Just 14% say they are deciding because of a candidate’s character and personal traits and 8% due to dislike of the other choices. Those behind Trump are almost universal in saying it’s driven by the issues: 89% say so, compared with 63% among those who back other candidates.

Trump is widely seen as best able to handle each of the eight issues tested in the poll. The closest any other candidate comes to reaching Trump on the issues is DeSantis on education and school policies, where he trails Trump by 20 points. Still, there is some variation in the degree of trust Republican-aligned voters place in the former president over his rivals. Majorities see Trump as best able to handle the economy (69%), immigration (65%), the situation in Ukraine (63%), limiting government overreach (59%) and crime and safety (54%). About half see Trump as best on climate and energy policies (49%), with fewer naming him on abortion (44%) and education and school policies (42%). DeSantis lands as a clear second behind Trump on nearly all of these issues, with two notable exceptions. On Ukraine, Haley (at 8%), Pence (7%) and DeSantis (7%) cluster behind Trump, while on abortion, DeSantis (at 14%) and Haley (13%) form a second tier.

All told, 63% of Republican and Republican-leaning voters now say they will definitely support their first-choice candidate, while 37% could change their minds or have not chosen any candidate. Those figures are broadly driven by Trump’s supporters – 83% of whom say they’ve made up their minds compared with 43% of those who pick another candidate as their first choice — and suggest that nomination preferences are significantly more locked in now than in previous cycles, according to CNN polling. In October 2019, just 43% of Democratic and Democratic-leaning voters were as firmly decided on the next year’s presidential primary, and even as late as January 2016, only about half (49%) of Republican and Republican-leaning voters said they were locked in to their first choice.

Ramaswamy’s standing improves while DeSantis loses ground
The poll suggests only a slight shuffling since the first primary debate in the race for second place. While 67% of Republican and Republican-leaning voters who watched or closely followed news about the event said it was helpful to them in deciding whom to support, the candidates rated as performing best appear to have gotten only a minor boost, if any, in their overall backing.

Those who followed it said Ramaswamy (30%) and DeSantis (28%) had the best night, with Haley (20%) not far behind. Coming out of the debate, those who followed it also said DeSantis (51%) and Ramaswamy (46%) are the candidates they’d most like to hear more about. Around 4 in 10 also want to hear more about either Haley (40%) or Scott (37%).

But Ramaswamy is the only debate participant whose standing in the race has shown significant improvement since June, rising from just 1% support to 6%. Haley has been steadily between 5% and 7% in each CNN poll on the race, with Scott between 2% and 4%, while DeSantis has lost meaningful ground over the summer.

Among moderate and liberal GOP-aligned voters, DeSantis held a clear second place to Trump in June (22% backed him); second place in this group is now a tie between DeSantis (12%) and Haley (12%). Among conservatives, DeSantis has also lost ground (from 28% in June to 20% now), but the rest of the non-Trump field remains in single digits with that group.

Most GOP voters say they either support or would consider supporting Trump (81%), DeSantis (78%), Scott (63%), Haley (63%) and Ramaswamy (58%). There have been few changes in this metric for Trump, Scott or Haley over the course of CNN’s polling since May, but the share willing to consider DeSantis has dipped 7 points in that time while the share willing to consider Ramaswamy is up 10 points.

Half or more have ruled out Pence (50%, up 5 points since May), Burgum (58%, about the same as 60% in June, the first point for which CNN has full trend for Burgum), Hutchinson (61%, up 6 points since May) and Christie (66%, up 6 points since May).

The CNN Poll was conducted by SSRS from August 25-31 among a random national sample of 1,503 adults drawn from a probability-based panel, including 784 Republicans and Republican-leaning independents who are registered to vote. The survey included an oversample to reach a total of 898 Republicans and Republican-leaning independents; this group has been weighted to its proper size within the population. Surveys were either conducted online or by telephone with a live interviewer. Results among the full sample have a margin of sampling error of plus or minus 3.5 points; among Republican and Republican-leaning voters, the margin of sampling error is 4.4 points.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Sep 5, 2023

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Paracaidas posted:

Noncompetitive GOP seats lead to an environment where GOP primaries are what determine the candidate, which has tended to lead to more overtly fashy candidates who are also outside of leadership's control.

If I have to choose between a "reasonable" Republican who will gently caress the poor, destroy the biosphere, and hollow out public institutions and a more overtly racist one that will do all those things with 33% more vocalized racism, I'll generally pick the latter because having them be the face of the Party ensures they will continue to wane in nationwide popularity as Boomers die.

I'd rather have ~40% of a given legislative body be Lauren Boeberts than ~50.1% Mitt Romneys

FLIPADELPHIA fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Sep 5, 2023

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
All of the gop candidates campaign plans are fundamentally relying on trump either going to jail or dying

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

OctaMurk posted:

All of the gop candidates campaign plans are fundamentally relying on trump either going to jail or dying

Really the latter because he would still get the nomination from jail.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

There's always a large number of "Undecided" or "Not Sure" answers from polls like this because:

A) Some people are always wanting "something better" regardless of the current options.

and

B) A lot of normal people aren't paying attention to politics 1.5 years out from the election.

But, it is still kind of interesting that there are about 35% of GOP voters who aren't 100% sold on Trump right now, but will also absolutely still vote for him if he were a convicted felon and even hypothetically admitted his own guilt. Not sure what those people are still waiting for.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug
In some positive news, the FDA relaxed their guidelines for blood donations, eliminating criteria based on gender and sexual orientation. The Red Cross has updated their donation guidelines as well: for instance, you're no longer asked about male/male sex at all, just whether you've had any new sexual partners lately.

https://www.redcrossblood.org/local-homepage/news/article/inclusive-blood-donation-change-rcbs.html

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

I realize the constitution does nothing to stop his nomination from jail (super cool "get out of jail free card" there America) but is it possible the GOP might not let him be their nominee by some rule they have/make up? They of course realize he is currently their main nominee, but a chunk of the established GOP still hates Trump and only support him cause they have no spines. Might be a chance to be rid of him.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Orthanc6 posted:

Might be a chance to be rid of him.
error 404
spine not found

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Interesting and depressing/funny poll results from the new WSJ poll.

https://s.wsj.net/public/resources/documents/WSJ_Poll_Aug_2023.pdf

Top 5 Most Important Issues for 2024 Election:

quote:

Economy - 24%
Immigration - 11%
Other - 11%
Abortion - 8%
Inflation - 6%

The issues that 0% or 1% of people said were their most important issue:

This past year is the first time that "Jobs" has been so low on the issue priority ranking.

quote:

Economic inequality
Jobs (Creating more/reducing unemployment/getting more people back to work)
Race Issues
Election Integrity
Social Security
Ukraine
Voting Rights
Criminal Justice Reform
Energy
Housing
China
Infrastructure
Uniting the country
Terrorism
Term Limits
The Covid-19 Pandemic

- 74% of Americans think that the inflation rate has risen in the last year.

Only 20% answered correctly.

- 48% think that the stock market has declined in the past year.

Only 27% answered correctly and 25% didn't know.

- 54% of Americans say their personal financial situation has gotten worse over the last year.

Among Republicans, it is 75%.

- Biden and Trump both have net approval ratings of -19. However, Trump has higher "very favorable" and "very unfavorable" ratings than Biden.

Only 6% have a "somewhat unfavorable" view and only 12% have a "somewhat favorable" view of Trump - the rest are all on the extreme favorable/unfavorable sides.

Interestingly, Biden's job approval is higher than his personal approval rating - this has generally been the opposite with more people approving of him personally than of his job performance.

- Mike Pence is the most unpopular national political figure that they polled.

Only 3% of Americans have a very favorable opinion of Pence and nearly 70% either have "somewhat" or "very" unfavorable feelings about him.

- If they can't pick Trump, then Ron DeSantis is the significant favorite second choice of Republican voters with 35%.

Vivek Ramaswamy is second with 16%.

- Roughly 1/5th of Americans say they are still aren't definitely sure who they would vote for in 2024.

40% say "definitely Biden" and 39% say "definitely Trump."

Another 12% are leaning towards one specific candidate, but not 100% sure.

8% are totally undecided and (somehow) don't know enough about Trump or Biden to make a decision.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Sep 5, 2023

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Orthanc6 posted:

I realize the constitution does nothing to stop his nomination from jail (super cool "get out of jail free card" there America) but is it possible the GOP might not let him be their nominee by some rule they have/make up? They of course realize he is currently their main nominee, but a chunk of the established GOP still hates Trump and only support him cause they have no spines. Might be a chance to be rid of him.

Doing so would almost certainly cause a massive voter revolt and a blue landslide in the Senate and House.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Orthanc6 posted:

Trump will be the nominee. Best to just accept that. If the GOP tries any ratfucking to keep him out he will absolutely, positively, burn the entire party down around himself out of spite. He'd just fart out on social media how everyone needs to write in his name on the ballot to prove that he's the bigliest best president in history and enough of the chud-o-sphere would follow their leader to destroy whoever got put in his place. The rest of the party may hate him, but they also know he'll do it so they won't make a peep.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Orthanc6 posted:

They could absolutely come up with One Weird Trick to stop him. Rigging primaries is a time-honored political tradition.

Thing is though, no matter how much the GOP establishment allegedly hates him, they know he butters way too much bread for them to blatantly cross like that.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

the_steve posted:

They could absolutely come up with One Weird Trick to stop him. Rigging primaries is a time-honored political tradition.

Thing is though, no matter how much the GOP establishment allegedly hates him, they know he butters way too much bread for them to blatantly cross like that.

Hasn't his legal defense been costing them money by taking money that would otherwise go to Republican causes and just get redirected into his pocket?

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Randalor posted:

I am honestly concerned that Laura Loomer is going to end up dead in a shallow ditch because she keeps doing the equivilant of slathering barbecue sauce on her face and running towards the face-eating leopards. Hell, I'm honestly surprised she's still alive at this point.

Does anyone know why she's constantly chasing after the one group of people who's defining moment is "Murdered literally millions of Jewish people en-mass"? I know she did some other dumb poo poo in the past for attention (she was the one that handcuffed herself to Twitter's door, right?) but her chasing after neonazies who all want her and her people deader-than-dead always seems downright self-destructive.

She is by definition, a Kapo.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Gyges posted:

It's mostly that they agree on almost everything except for a tiny little quibble over who's considered white. Which is an odd sticking point since basically all the other hated 19th Century Europeans are considered whites in good standing.

What I would give to have a national platform to say that White People are a thing that got made up and doesn’t exist. That White People are as real as Santa Claus (the point being that Santa is way too real for something that’s fake)

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Angry_Ed posted:

Hasn't his legal defense been costing them money by taking money that would otherwise go to Republican causes and just get redirected into his pocket?

Probably, but is what he's costing them more than what he's bringing in? I'm talking in terms of anything; money, voter turnout, whatever qualifies as a benefit.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
It’s a big problem (for them) that a lot of donations are going straight to Trump personally rather than into party coffers, where they could be spent on other candidates

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

the_steve posted:

Probably, but is what he's costing them more than what he's bringing in? I'm talking in terms of anything; money, voter turnout, whatever qualifies as a benefit.

Election denial hurt them in the midterms for sure, and there's no future party with Trump in it where that goes away.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Paracaidas posted:

Alabama had their 2020 redistricting map slapped down by the courts, again.

This was buried deeper than I read in to the 200 page filing from the courts, but is something that I hope keeps SCOTUS from using it as its wedge to shred the rest of the VRA:
https://twitter.com/lyman_brian/status/1699118637812957188

I noted in my post that the solicitor general designed the revised map. I'm nearly certain of this, in part because the relevant legislative bodies have been unable to answer who actually designed it. I'm glad the court is taking note, because it really highlights the risk that "The VRA and the federal courts are usurping Alabama's explicit constitutional duty to set the time, place, and manner of elections" runs headlong in to "was this map designed in the manner prescribed by the state legislature?"

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Orthanc6 posted:

Not a chance in hell. Even if such a rule existed, inventing a technicality to disqualify the guy who is by far the most popular choice for the nomination would be political suicide (and possibly also actual suicide, given how militant his diehard base is).

That's why the establishment Republicans put up with him in 2016, that's why they played along with him in 2020, and that's why they're absolutely not going to get in his way no matter what in 2024. As long as he's the clear frontrunner, there is zero chance of the GOP rebelling against him.

Yeah, Trump is terrible for the party in a lot of ways, but the people who vote in primaries love him, and that means that most Republicans have to either embrace Trump or start planning their retirement from politics. Doesn't matter how much they hate it, or how much it hurts their chances in the general, or how much they resent Trump taking all the fundraising for himself. If they publicly defy Trump, they'll face a well-funded primary challenge from some absolute maniac that the base will absolutely love.

That's why I'm always emphasizing the importance of building political support among the people. It's essentially impossible to blatantly ratfuck someone who's leading by 40 points. Even if the rules technically provide a route for ratfucking, pulling some dumb bullshit against someone overwhelmingly popular is like pulling the pin on a grenade and dropping at your own feet - the political backlash will be severe and it will be messy.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Killer robot posted:

Is this actually a real world thing at all, or is it one of those internet telephone games like how Obama saying he's not a communist and Republicans used to have a liberal wing morphed into him being Reagan's biggest fan?
Because the ones that always get seem to cited (like when Pelosi used that exact phrasing to trash-talk Republicans and call them a "cult") are really REALLY clearly "the Republican party isn't going to dissolve tomorrow and we'd like them to be reasonable opposition rather than unhinged psychos." Again, that quote literally called modern Republicans a cult.:

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1523812812434329602

This is, remember, someone who well remembers plenty of pro-choice Republicans and when Nixon signed the EPA into law. It seems to be right in line with the common leftist criticism of the Democratic party getting lazy especially in blue states since being able to point to the shitshow on the other side keeps them from having to be a positive good themselves.

She could have just said she wants the GOP to stop being a cult then. Saying that the US needs a strong Republican party is unnecessary, because it's a completely independent idea from them not being a cult.

Obviously neither of us can read her mind and figure out what she really meant, but we can certainly make an educated guess based on her and her party's actions. We know that she's very wealthy, so she's not affected by the same material concerns about having a strong Republican party as most other people are. We know that she's been hostile to the left wing of her party in the past, and supportive of the right wing (remember she actively campaigned for a pro-gun anti-abortion Democrat against his leftist primary opponent).

But to be fair, my interpretation is pretty close to yours. I think that she does want the GOP to stop being unhinged psychos, mostly because she has been personally affected by an unhinged psycho trying to beat her husband to death with a hammer. But the problem with that is back when the Republicans were "reasonable opposition," they were still psychos, just of the hinged variety. You could surmise that she wants them to go back to speaking in dogwhistles and saying all the right platitudes that make them seem normal and respectable. And I think that that is naive at best.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Fister Roboto posted:

She could have just said she wants the GOP to stop being a cult then.

The quote in the post you quoted literally says she wants them to stop being a cult.

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

There's a nonzero chance that the chuds simply refuse to believe he's dead, instead thinking he's in hiding from the deep state. There's a good chance he'd still win a state or twi.

Then, when the Republicans nominate someone else (because even they won't nominate an actual corpse), the chud rank and file think he was robbed by the RINO GOP, stay home and the Republicans have a 40% loss in their turnout on election day and just get *crushed* all up and down the ticket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The quote in the post you quoted literally says she wants them to stop being a cult.

The word "just" in "could have just said" indicates "said that and no more," which is consistent with what's being argued in the rest of the post.