Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Thanks for the comments. I'll probably just kick this can down the road while I continue exploring different roasts and brew styles with the stuff I already have.

hypnophant posted:

the df64, a fairly shameless knockoff of the lagom p64, is the old aliexpress hotness around that price point, and the grinder you linked looks like a clone. I'm not watching lance's video to find out what features they've tweaked but the reason these things initially got popular was the availability of SSP flat burrs in 64mm, and the df64 provided a much cheaper way to get those burrs into an espresso-capable grinder. If you don't want to mess around with burrs I think the value proposition is not really as strong. That said, I don't think it's dumb to buy one, especially if you do a bit of research to know what you're getting before diving in. It's not exactly as good as grinders that cost an order of magnitude more, and there are quirks and pitfalls to be aware of, but it could be very good value for you.

OTOH a single do-it-all grinder is a bit of a pain in the rear end, unless you go through a bag or more before switching between espresso and filter, for the reasons VB mentioned. If you want to make a pourover for one person and an espresso for another every morning, you want two different grinders, although you might be happy enough with the df64 clone as one of them.

aliexpress stuff is often made perfectly well, even if it's designed for a very different market than the west (or a blatant knockoff of something designed for a western market) so I don't think you should be concerned about this

According to the video, this grinder is made by a company that basically does OEM work, making grinders for other companies to rebrand. But I'm not familiar enough with this market to tell what's a rebrand and what's a knock-off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

According to the video, this grinder is made by a company that basically does OEM work, making grinders for other companies to rebrand. But I'm not familiar enough with this market to tell what's a rebrand and what's a knock-off.

These two things are not mutually exclusive OP

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Remember that "it's the exact same manufacturer, just white labeled" means they can be much more lax on QA. It's a nice way to still sell out-of-spec units.

Could still be worth it depending on your budget and patience to find second hand nice grinders.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Update: I did not kick the can down the road and I bought a Gen 2 Ode, replacing some dirt-cheap conical burr grinder I got off of amazon. It's quieter, way more consistent, much faster, and just feels great to use. I figured if I was gonna spend that kind of money on a grinder, it should be on a known good product from a reputable brand. And I'm now brewing some of the best coffee I've ever had. No regrets.

I guess my next question is where do you find good specialty roasters? I've heard that companies like trade coffee really overcharge for the quality of beans they sell, but I don't really know how else to find good specialty coffee online.

edit: basically what i'm wondering is if there's like a leafly but for coffee.

edit 2: I take it from my searching that there isn't anything like this, but there totally should be. it can be a bit of a pain to try to sus out which brands are worth trying and which aren't. Sorry for the noobish questions btw, i'm pretty new at this

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Aug 25, 2023

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Update: I did not kick the can down the road and I bought a Gen 2 Ode, replacing some dirt-cheap conical burr grinder I got off of amazon. It's quieter, way more consistent, much faster, and just feels great to use. I figured if I was gonna spend that kind of money on a grinder, it should be on a known good product from a reputable brand. And I'm now brewing some of the best coffee I've ever had. No regrets.

I guess my next question is where do you find good specialty roasters? I've heard that companies like trade coffee really overcharge for the quality of beans they sell, but I don't really know how else to find good specialty coffee online.

edit 2: I take it from my searching that there isn't anything like this, but there totally should be. it can be a bit of a pain to try to sus out which brands are worth trying and which aren't. Sorry for the noobish questions btw, i'm pretty new at this

Google maps coffee roasters in your area and go to a cafe and smell some bags.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!

Get yourself some goon roasted coffee, it's loving great, especially if you're on the east coast and can pick some freshly roasted bags up in person, but even having it shipped is great.

There's also Awesome Coffee Club which I haven't personally tried cuz it's a little pricier but it's probably one of your best bets for ethically sourced coffee, if you care about that sort of thing, here's a video showing some on-the-ground details about what that means

Brut fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Aug 25, 2023

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

If any of yall home roasters want a variety to try, check out this Finca San Luis. Out of the 10ish varieties I've roasted so far, this is my favorite by miles. It's a little like bittersweet baking chocolate, dried cherries, kind of winey.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

Discussion Quorum posted:

I'm looking for a manual grinder for pourover, aeropress, maybe moka pot (but probably not often). Budget is flexible but decidedly entry level. I do think I would be happy to have the extra capacity when I need it, so I am focusing on options that have an advertised capacity of 30g (I think this rules out the cheaper 1zpressos but their product lineup confuses me)

The following seem like the go-to options:
Timemore C2 Max $70
Timemore C3 Max $90
Timemore C3 Pro Max $100
Kingrinder K6 $100

I got the Kingrinder K6. Seems nice. The finest grind setting ring doesn't index to 0 (more like -4), although the manual does say this is normal. I think. It seems to be a product of Google Translate and that section is odd.

Grinder in hand, I made my first Aeropress coffee using James Hoffman's technique. I found a bag of this at the grocery store that had been roasted in the last month, which I figured would be good enough to dial in some basic technique before tracking down something fancier. I couldn't find a definitive grind setting for the Kingrinder but 60-75 was what I could make out as a reasonable Aeropress setting from random comments on reddit.

Attempt 1: Grind setting around 68. Forgot to start the timer right away and I got the water a little too hot, but I don't think either was catastrophically wrong (like +5F and +/- 15 seconds). Probably swirled a little too vigorously too.

Result: Definitely acidic. Maybe more sour than I would like. Drinkable but I kinda wanted to add some sugar and milk.

Attempt 2: Grind setting of 70 (slightly coarser than before). Water was dead on 200F and I got the timing more or less right. I overshot the pour slightly but probably not enough to matter.

Result: A bit more balanced (albeit a touch weak?) although I'm not sure it's gonna wow me. Tastes pretty coffee-ish but I'm not really picking up "milk chocolate" or "ripe fruit" or anything like that. Just coffee with a touch of acidity/sourness.

I don't want to drink any more coffee today, but I'll try going a little finer again and being more on-the-spot with the recipe next time. I know poo poo all about this stuff though, if anyone has any recommendations on how I should try and dial this in I'm all ears.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

Discussion Quorum posted:

I got the Kingrinder K6. Seems nice. The finest grind setting ring doesn't index to 0 (more like -4), although the manual does say this is normal. I think. It seems to be a product of Google Translate and that section is odd.

Grinder in hand, I made my first Aeropress coffee using James Hoffman's technique. I found a bag of this at the grocery store that had been roasted in the last month, which I figured would be good enough to dial in some basic technique before tracking down something fancier. I couldn't find a definitive grind setting for the Kingrinder but 60-75 was what I could make out as a reasonable Aeropress setting from random comments on reddit.

Attempt 1: Grind setting around 68. Forgot to start the timer right away and I got the water a little too hot, but I don't think either was catastrophically wrong (like +5F and +/- 15 seconds). Probably swirled a little too vigorously too.

Result: Definitely acidic. Maybe more sour than I would like. Drinkable but I kinda wanted to add some sugar and milk.

Attempt 2: Grind setting of 70 (slightly coarser than before). Water was dead on 200F and I got the timing more or less right. I overshot the pour slightly but probably not enough to matter.

Result: A bit more balanced (albeit a touch weak?) although I'm not sure it's gonna wow me. Tastes pretty coffee-ish but I'm not really picking up "milk chocolate" or "ripe fruit" or anything like that. Just coffee with a touch of acidity/sourness.

I don't want to drink any more coffee today, but I'll try going a little finer again and being more on-the-spot with the recipe next time. I know poo poo all about this stuff though, if anyone has any recommendations on how I should try and dial this in I'm all ears.

If you are getting very sour coffee it’s usually underextracted. Going coarser on attempt two made it weaker so there was less acidity, but less of everything else too. Try going finer on the grind, you’ll start to get more sweetness to balance the acidity. Generally keep going finer until you get bitterness and astringency, then back off.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

I left my coldbrew in the fridge for a week by accident and the basket + grounds grew mold. It's the Hario Mizudashi. Any tips for cleaning the mesh filter? Would soaking it in vinegar be sufficient or am I looking at a replacement?

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

biceps crimes posted:

I left my coldbrew in the fridge for a week by accident and the basket + grounds grew mold. It's the Hario Mizudashi. Any tips for cleaning the mesh filter? Would soaking it in vinegar be sufficient or am I looking at a replacement?

You're going to want some sort of abrasive cleaner to help before the vinegar. OxyClean Free (the no dyes or perfumes dry one) or a bunch of Baking Soda in water can help with removing all the bits and the stuff stuck in corners that you won't see very well. A spray with vinegar can help sanitize afterward too. If it's all metal, you can stick it in boiling water for 30s after the cleaning cycle too.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
Would a dilute bleach solution not be better than vinegar?

Not sure if any of the components could be damaged but that's what I would consider to sanitize it.

That or the powdered oxiclean sanitizer like the poster above me said.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

MetaJew posted:

Would a dilute bleach solution not be better than vinegar?

Not sure if any of the components could be damaged but that's what I would consider to sanitize it.

That or the powdered oxiclean sanitizer like the poster above me said.

Bleach is a cleaner, but it's more likely to leave residue than the oxyclean free. Bleach can be harsh to plastics, but it's also another caustic option that functions as a cleaner and disinfectant. Both are caustics though, so use gloves even when diluted.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

So I guess we found out we prefer conical burrs for our drip coffee.

Had a virtuoso for years. I hated how the hopper would work itself out while it was on and all the static and chaff that would go everywhere, so enter the fellow ode gen 2. No static, it’s quieter, and it grinds a lot faster. But we couldn’t dial in the taste. We use medium roast beans primarily and prefer body over clarity. We thought it was our moccamaster so I tried grinding from my niche zero just to be sure.

Nope-it’s the fellow ode and it’s flat burrs. Even after 4 pounds of coffee through it, we don’t like the flavor it gives.

So, any recommendations on a new conical burr grinder out there? We can use the niche but going back and forth between drip and espresso is a pain. Also, something with a big hopper is a plus because we grind 250g once a week for cold brew.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
How can I assess whether burrs are dull or need to be replaced?

The Super Jolly I'm fixing up and playing with is really tricky.

I poured the best shot I've had and I've poured a lot of dogshit shots that shoot out of the bottomless portafilter all over my coffee station. I don't know what's doing it... I'm hoping this can be attributed to something I can swap.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Cannon_Fodder posted:

I poured the best shot I've had and I've poured a lot of dogshit shots that shoot out of the bottomless portafilter all over my coffee station. I don't know what's doing it... I'm hoping this can be attributed to something I can swap.

Usually this (channeling) is caused by your puck prep not being as good as it needs to be.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

VelociBacon posted:

Usually this (channeling) is caused by your puck prep not being as good as it needs to be.

Same technique on my pucks.

Only difference is the grinder.

The Baratza Encore ESP vs this Super Jolly.

I do a light misting of water on the beans, throw'em in to grind.
I use a WDT tool and give the grinds a stir in little circles around the periphery, then slowly inch the tool out while continuing to stir.

I use a distrbution puck to flatten, then I tamper.

Same amount of beans measured before/after 16.8g
Same espresso maker
Same puck screen

That's why I think it might be the burrs.

Is there a way to figure out if they're dull? They're probably super old.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

Cannon_Fodder posted:

That's why I think it might be the burrs.

Is there a way to figure out if they're dull? They're probably super old.
Mazzer recommends replacing them every 880lbs. If you got this used from a coffee shop or other high-volume facility and they didn't tell you when the burrs were last changed, I'd probably just go ahead and replace them; it's only like $50 for a set.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Cannon_Fodder posted:

If it’s not had years of service in a busy cafe, the burrs aren’t dull

that said, ssp burrs should be a drop-in upgrade

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

hypnophant posted:

If it’s not had years of service in a busy cafe, the burrs aren’t dull

that said, ssp burrs should be a drop-in upgrade

it's an '89, bought from a failed shop, bought by that shop second hand.

It probably has varicose veins.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

I was dialing in some espresso and my first attempt got me no more than 5 drops of liquid (from 16 g of grounds and an extraction time of 27 s). I sampled it, expecting it to be unpalatable, but to my surprise the two drops that reached my tongue tasted as sweet as syrup. Is this normal? Or was my perception of taste off because I only sampled two drops?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Welp it was bound to happen. I just refilled the hopper in my grinder all over the counter and floor. That lid is impressively transparent and high clarity.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

theHUNGERian posted:

I was dialing in some espresso and my first attempt got me no more than 5 drops of liquid (from 16 g of grounds and an extraction time of 27 s). I sampled it, expecting it to be unpalatable, but to my surprise the two drops that reached my tongue tasted as sweet as syrup. Is this normal? Or was my perception of taste off because I only sampled two drops?

Pretty sure this kinda effect is what all those years of 30g in 10g out ristrettos were chasing back in the 00's. That route can be delicious but I think most people ultimately just found it too wasteful of beans.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Sextro posted:

Pretty sure this kinda effect is what all those years of 30g in 10g out ristrettos were chasing back in the 00's. That route can be delicious but I think most people ultimately just found it too wasteful of beans.

Yeah, that makes sense. Even more so with the anaerobic beans I was using. But holy poo poo was it delicious!

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

H110Hawk posted:

Welp it was bound to happen. I just refilled the hopper in my grinder all over the counter and floor. That lid is impressively transparent and high clarity.

I've done that enough times now that I just put brightly colored stickers on the hopper lids.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Anyone know of a good roaster who's making a product specifically for Vietnamese coffee (for brewing in a phin and serving with sweetened, condensed milk)? I assume that someone must be doing some kind of amazing robusta/arabica blend and figuring out how to bring out the best parts of robusta while minimizing the worst parts. There are a couple options on Amazon that look ok (Nguyen, ChestBrew) but no overwhelming 5* favorite. Yes, I just watched the new morgan drinks coffee.

Fake edit:
Decided to take a crack at answering my own question. Started looking at menus of good Vietnamese restaurants to see if they listed the coffee they served. Slanted Door in SF uses a blend from Saint Frank Coffee but it doesn't appear to be for sale on their website. Nah Minh in NYC has a picture of the blend they get from Oslo Coffee (interestingly, the bag says it's a "Dark Roast Chicory Blend"), but it also doesn't appear to be for sale on their site. I'm guessing most restaurant blends are exclusive to the restaurant. I also checked the sites of a dozen local roasters and places that I've mail ordered from in the past and didn't really find anything. Maybe Amazon is my best bet after all? Or maybe I could try using "cold brew" blends from roasters that I already like?

Real edit:
I clicked through to the article linked in the video description and it mentioned this place: https://www.portlandcaphe.com/shop. Might give it a shot. Open to other suggestions though.

Lawen fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Sep 5, 2023

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Any suggestions for a nice tamper? Maybe some brands I should be looking at? I wanted to give a gift for someone who is into coffee, but is pretty picky about their stuff. I looked at Crema and Nomcore. Any other brands I should be looking at? Don't want to spend more than $100, *maybe* $150 if I can get my other friend to chip in.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

$37, fits great, looks great, handmade!

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug

Lawen posted:

Anyone know of a good roaster who's making a product specifically for Vietnamese coffee (for brewing in a phin and serving with sweetened, condensed milk)?

I always just assumed cafe du monde is the gold standard

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Alucard posted:

I always just assumed cafe du monde is the gold standard

Yeah, good call. I kept researching a bit after posting and, while I seldom see chicory coffee explicitly mentioned for Vietnamese coffee, I've seen several references to the yellow Cafe du Monde can being a staple. And I know there's a large Vietnamese immigrant population down around NOLA, so that makes sense. I'll probably order a couple different brands to compare and will put du Monde on the list.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
I used to go to a Banh Mi place up here in NYC that used Chock Full O Nuts and it was pretty good.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Does anybody have a partner whose stomach can't handle lighter/medium roasts, or they just outright prefer dark roasts?

I feel kinda bad, a friend of mine is super into coffee, spent over $1300 on a semi-automatic espresso machine, and it turns out his partner despises all the third wave coffee roaster's beans and prefers dark oily French roasts - partly due to the "fruit acidity", but also because her stomach can't seem to handle the higher caffeine of lighter roasts, I guess?

At least he can just grab a cheap 2 pound bag from Costco for her, but he's bummed he can't just make one type of coffee for both of them.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Corb3t posted:

Does anybody have a partner whose stomach can't handle lighter/medium roasts, or they just outright prefer dark roasts?

I feel kinda bad, a friend of mine is super into coffee, spent over $1300 on a semi-automatic espresso machine, and it turns out his partner despises all the third wave coffee roaster's beans and prefers dark oily French roasts - partly due to the "fruit acidity", but also because her stomach can't seem to handle the higher caffeine of lighter roasts, I guess?

At least he can just grab a cheap 2 pound bag from Costco for her, but he's bummed he can't just make one type of coffee for both of them.

Not the same, but my wife can’t drink caffeine coffees.

I buy a large bag of decaf, pre grind it for espresso size and freeze the grinds. Works pretty drat well. She also does full oat milk and some flavor so the hit from freezing and she is much less of an issue.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Corb3t posted:

I am that partner. I really prefer low-acidity, bittersweet, chocolatey/nutty/caramel-y coffees. Not citrusy, not fruity, not "bright". I avoid most single origin or lighter-roast stuff and literally just yesterday gave away my Chemex and other pourover gear to a friend because I never use it. I pretty much only get milk drinks at coffee shops (in the US) because I find almost every shop's straight espresso way too sour.

Luckily, there are a bunch of good options that match my (and you friend's partner's) preferences. The easy and cheap solution is to try Italian espresso staples like Illy and Lavazza, they tend towards those flavor profiles. But there are plenty of specialty roasters who produce stuff in those profiles, too. Intelligentsia's Classic Black Cat, Counter Culture's Forty-Two or Hologram, Blue Bottle's 17-Foot Ceiling, and Docent's Cream+Sugar are all options I'd vouch for. Also, any roasts marketed as "for cold brew" will probably work.

Lawen fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Sep 5, 2023

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Corb3t posted:

Yeah my wife is this way. She's also pregnant right now and avoiding high caffeine stuff anyway. She's tried the lighter roasts I'm making but not crazy about them. We put the big Bunn machine away and most mornings I make mine with an aeropress and she uses Kirkland's house roast and a Mr. Coffee espresso machine. I've also started taking beans and my hand grinder to work, where I have a Bialetti v60 clone, electric kettle, and access to very accurate lab scales and me and coworkers have little coffee sessions and take them for a walk rather than going to a coffee shop.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
My wife had to switch to tea due to heartburn. Hence why I've suddenly upgraded to a fancy machine and a grinder. :v:

I like medium (Starbucks) to actually medium (other roasters) but despise light roasts. I like dark chocolate, cherry, etc, and richness. I dislike fruit and brightness.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Lawen posted:

I am that partner. I really prefer low-acidity, bittersweet, chocolatey/nutty/caramel-y coffees. Not citrusy, not fruity, not "bright". I avoid most single origin or lighter-roast stuff and literally just yesterday gave away my Chemex and other pourover gear to a friend because I never use it. I pretty much only get milk drinks at coffee shops (in the US) because I find almost every shop's straight espresso way too sour.

Luckily, there are a bunch of good options that match my (and you friend's partner's) preferences. The easy and cheap solution is to try Italian espresso staples like Illy and Lavazza, they tend towards those flavor profiles. But there are plenty of specialty roasters who produce stuff in those profiles, too. Intelligentsia's Classic Black Cat, Counter Culture's Forty-Two or Hologram, Blue Bottle's 17-Foot Ceiling, and Docent's Cream+Sugar are all options I'd vouch for. Also, any roasts marketed as "for cold brew" will probably work.

Out of curiosity, why not do pourover with darker roasts? It's still a great way to make coffee.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

obi_ant posted:

Any suggestions for a nice tamper? Maybe some brands I should be looking at? I wanted to give a gift for someone who is into coffee, but is pretty picky about their stuff. I looked at Crema and Nomcore. Any other brands I should be looking at? Don't want to spend more than $100, *maybe* $150 if I can get my other friend to chip in.
In case you weren't aware, tampers come in different sizes so you need to know what make/model of machine is in use to know what size to buy. If they're into espresso and picky about their equipment, buying them a new tool might not be the best move; they may already have the perfect tamper for their setup, or the one you buy may not fit their machine/hand well. Consider gifting something that recognizes their love for their hobby but avoids these pitfalls, like 3-6 months of a mail-order bean subscription (or, if they roast, a gift cert for Sweet Maria's).

Corb3t posted:

"Light roasts have higher caffeine" is largely untrue. By volume they do (because of the water loss and other physical changes that beans go through during roasting), but by weight they're more or less equal. Tell your friend to get a scale and try some medium-dark roasts.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

bizwank posted:

"Light roasts have higher caffeine" is largely untrue. By volume they do (because of the water loss and other physical changes that beans go through during roasting), but by weight they're more or less equal. Tell your friend to get a scale and try some medium-dark roasts.

That makes sense, but why does it seem like lighter roasts affect people's stomach's differently than darker roasts? Surely the acidic quality that's brought out in them has an effect?

Edit: The study states that dark roasted coffee is easier on the stomach than light and mild roasts because it produces an ingredient that prevents hydrochloric acid from building up in the stomach.

I'm surprised we haven't seen any "low acidity" coffee beans being marketed yet.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Sep 5, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Corb3t posted:

That makes sense, but why does it seem like lighter roasts affect people's stomach's differently than darker roasts? Surely the acidic quality that's brought out in them has an effect?

Edit: The study states that dark roasted coffee is easier on the stomach than light and mild roasts because it produces an ingredient that prevents hydrochloric acid from building up in the stomach.

Quickly someone help me sell proton pump inhibitors to coffee nerds as a light roast appreciation adjunct. Hurry!