Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

CordlessPen posted:

I can't leave without my buddy Superfly!

I think my enthusiasm for Sea of Stars is gone. It makes a drat fine first impression but I feel like the game doesn't bring anything new after the first few hours. You barely get any new party members, there are no new combat mechanics, there's one cool thing you get mid-game but I feel like it's really underutilized... But the 2 things that killed the game for me were;
1. The story starts out fine but quickly becomes a seemingly endless series of fetch quests. Ultimately there are only 3 main goals (I think, I haven't finished the story) in the game but to complete each you have to trade seashells and crystals and balls with the entire world.
2. There's very little incentive to explore. The world map is extremely linear; everything is locked until you're supposed to go there, there are very few side areas on the world map (actually I'm pretty sure I haven't found any so far) and very few, small ones on the field, and while there are some "metroidvania"-esque bits where you need to backtrack and use an ability that you unlock later, backtracking is such a god drat chore until you get a super late game ability that I would honestly say that you shouldn't do it at all until then. The game also seems to work on a log scale for XP requirements so hanging out in an area you've already cleared barely gives you anything.

Separately I don't think either is too bad; I don't mind video game stories at all when they're just an excuse for more gameplay, and I actually like that the game's trying to make you play at a brisker pace and not run around in circles killing slimes until you're strong enough for a boss, but it's making me rush through a story that really feels stretched out and I got bored of playing the game bits hours ago.

I got the game for free (well, on Game Pass) so maybe that's skewing my perspective a bit but I would have absolutely loved the game if it lasted 8-10 hours, but I'm closing in on 20 and I'm not done yet.

Edit: Oh, and I posted earlier about bad French puns in the game but I've encountered the worst one since then: the underwater place is called "Antsudlo" ("En dessous de l'eau", literally Underwater) which crosses the line between Bad Joke and Not Even Trying Anymore.

I'm not quite there, but yeah I'm starting to see a lot of flaws in the game, notably in its pacing and exploration. I was disappointed with what the world map had to offer, to the point where I think it would've been better just as a list of locations or something that you could revisit from some teleport service (thought those chucking statues would be used more), since there's no real reason to go around the place. Some of the pacing is really not great, and it feels like you're constantly being shunted from objective to objective without any breathing room (going from the first big event with the Dweller to the town that's destroyed, to the pirate ship quest felt exhausting, for example.

I'm still liking the game - the combat is still drawing me in, the dungeon design is still varied enough to be enjoyable (though, yeah, wish they weren't so linear), and I want to see what's going to happen in the story. But yeah, flawed.

By the way, is X'Tol a pun on anything, because the other one made me actually groan out loud.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
The world extol, maybe?

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

I realized there was probably an invisible path so I brought out Gale for the See Invisibility spell, but I have no idea if that's actually what made it visible because, as in your case, poo poo just wasn't loading properly. I'm pretty sure the patches of Darkness weren't visible on my successful attempt but it's always a coin flip if poo poo like that shows up at all. Still affects your character though!!

I'm not 100% sure because mine was showing up due to contrast/darkness on my screen showing the edges so I didn't use it, but couldn't you cast Grease or Create Water too?

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

That is Kevin Michael Richardson, who also voiced Sarevok!
And, like, half of all deep-voiced characters in video games and animation.

BG1 and BG2 had really great voice casts.

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
:same:

Gerblyn posted:

Just lol if you don't let Volo perform impromptu brain surgery on you to never need to worry about that spell again.

Wait what? I had that and still couldn't see the path.

I've had a lot of weird bugs as I get further into the game, like the game thinking I had spent a long-rest action when I hadn't after a reload.

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k
I had that path appear my first time through, lost a later combat, and had to redo that section. The second time through, it was properly invisible. I have no idea what changed.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
This is probably old content for this thread, but I picked up CP 2077 a few weekends ago, and overall it's actually good. I've managed to avoid any major bugs, clipping has been annoying, but not game breaking. I've had one minor recurring glitch where out of nowhere a solid black "thing" will appear directly in my field of vision, and then race towards the horizon before eventually disappearing.

I have three complaints at this stage (which is somewhere between 1/3 and 1/2 way through by my guess)

First, I'm playing this on PS5 and it runs and looks great. But I'm playing it on a decent sized screen (36") and I can just barely read the descriptions while sitting on my couch 10ft away. Red text on a black background is not my friend, and it shouldn't be yours either.

Second, early into the game there is a side mission where you go all over town and challenge people to bare knuckle boxing matches, and if you aren't spec'ed out right, you'll go down in 1 or 2 hits. That's OK, it's a learning curve, and a solvable problem - I prefer flaming gorilla arms. What's broken, is that when you lose a match, you get dropped into a dialogue tree that has three options. 1) Rematch. 2) Rematch, but with higher odds and better rewards. 3) Maybe later. The problem with option 3 is it doesn't make you exit the conversation like the other 2 options do. And unlike walking away from a merchant or other non-story NPC, you get stuck in conversation mode. This means that you can't run, you can't use your detective vision/cyber eye, and probably other functions. The fix I've found so far is to either manually reload, or go get killed and respawn, and then everything works again. But it shouldn't really happen either way.

Lastly, and this one is unforgiveable in modern gaming, if you abandon side missions, you fail them and cannot retry. I had an early mission series pop up for helping retrieve rogue AI cars. The mission starts off pretty easy, find a car, drive it back to HQ with no damage. Next one is similar, find car, talk it down from suicide. Fine. Next one, it's a mad dog, put it down. OK, not super challenging. Then you get to GlaDOS. The idea is that you have to tail this car as it leads you down under a bridge and then eventually into a trap. Now you have to survive an ambush by 6-8 higher level enemies. These are enemies that take very little damage, and can kill me in 1 or 2 shots. I try several times as my save is about 5 seconds before the ambush happens, but I just can't do anything. So instead, I just book it, so maybe I can return after leveling up a bit. Nope. I get a big red bulletin on my mission screen showing that I failed the mission. Fine, I can surely call up the quest giver and try again, right? Nope, not an option. Doesn't appear on my to-do list. (Typing this out I just though to see if I can call the NPC again, but I kind of doubt it.) It's just so weird that I couldn't try again, except from that specific point in the mission.

But what AAA game in the last decade has a mission structure like that? In GTA or Skyrim or Fallout, if I get a mission and it goes tits up, I either wake up at a spawn point with a few less resources or I get auto-loaded to a recent save (that doesn't usually gently caress me over). And in both cases, I can move away from the mission area, regroup, stock up, and try again later.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Waste of Breath posted:

Wait what? I had that and still couldn't see the path.

I've had a lot of weird bugs as I get further into the game, like the game thinking I had spent a long-rest action when I hadn't after a reload.

Nah, that just gives the spell. From what I can see, you can just see the path regardless, at least I always could. Maybe your graphics settings make it harder to spot?

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

CzarChasm posted:

This is probably old content for this thread, but I picked up CP 2077 a few weekends ago, and overall it's actually good. I've managed to avoid any major bugs, clipping has been annoying, but not game breaking. I've had one minor recurring glitch where out of nowhere a solid black "thing" will appear directly in my field of vision, and then race towards the horizon before eventually disappearing.

You should take a break until the next patch in a few weeks, it’s going to be a huge rebalance.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Oh yeah, now I'm angry again at that series of robocar missions. I actually beat them all just fine on my first time through, but when I was doing a replay I ran into the same thing where I was just too outleveled at that save point. I also left the mission and found out later that I couldn't pick it back up again. Everything I read online at the time said that was just it, you couldn't ever restart it. But that replay must've been like two years ago at this point, I would've guessed that would've warranted a fix at some point since then.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

that's not even the only failable quest in cp2077

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I try to think of what was the most needlessly padded progression system, and all I can think of was when Yakuza had five types of XP to acquire. As a result you could cheese the system by binge eating at restaurants and hit the level cap at chapter 2.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I try to think of what was the most needlessly padded progression system, and all I can think of was when Yakuza had five types of XP to acquire. As a result you could cheese the system by binge eating at restaurants and hit the level cap at chapter 2.

The only problem with this is that they didn't give Kiryu a weight gain mechanic like CJ had back in San Andreas

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Captain Hygiene posted:

The only problem with this is that they didn't give Kiryu a weight gain mechanic like CJ had back in San Andreas

There's a fake fat Kiryu in 2

very risky blowjob
Sep 27, 2015

What I will miss the most whenever I replay Cyberpunk 2077 is not being able to pause in the middle of a melee attack and then just leave the game running while a glitch spends the next half-hour feeding me Athletics XP

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

very risky blowjob posted:

What I will miss the most whenever I replay Cyberpunk 2077 is not being able to pause in the middle of a melee attack and then just leave the game running while a glitch spends the next half-hour feeding me Athletics XP

Man, I think that might be another love/hate thing, and it sucks because it's a game giving me exactly what I ask for. The terrible irony of getting exactly what you want.

I play Fallout and Skyrim and some of these other ARPG games, and the level ups are kind of pointless. Yeah, I can increase my points in small guns, or blocking, but that doesn't really stop me from using two-handed weapons, or sneaking or any of the other mechanics. But CP2077 really feels like while it doesn't block off my access to game mechanics, by spec'ing into a specific path, I do feel ineffective at certain parts of the game. Like my melee is really weak compared to my handguns skills, and while it doesn't stop me from being able to punch and swing a sword, it does limit my effectiveness doing those things.

I do kind of like that, because it does feel more like an answer to one of my problems with RPGs like this, where you can max out all the combat trees and be good, if not great, at everything and just cheese the game. Like Fable, a game with 3 attacks that you can level up (melee, ranged and magic) and there's nothing stopping you mechanically from maxing out each of those stats. And personally I like that it's restricting me a little bit. And if it really bothered me, I can respec at any point by just throwing money at the problem.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
Tropico 6's like third level is a really fun series of goals where you eventually kind of dissolve your very nice island to a communist uhhh dump? Anyway, up until this point all the goals have been fair but now it wants me to make the "average liberty" score 80 or higher. Frustrated, I looked it up, and the only way to do that is by having lots of newspapers, tv stations, and libraries around. Well god fuckin dammit, my whole island is ludicrously covered in these buildings and my average liberty can't seem to get above 70. I'm hemorrhaging funds; I can't afford to make any more liberty buildings. I have no military, no police, I have no buildings that detract from liberty, and yet people can't seem to get enough fuckin books argh

very risky blowjob
Sep 27, 2015

CzarChasm posted:

Man, I think that might be another love/hate thing, and it sucks because it's a game giving me exactly what I ask for. The terrible irony of getting exactly what you want.

I play Fallout and Skyrim and some of these other ARPG games, and the level ups are kind of pointless. Yeah, I can increase my points in small guns, or blocking, but that doesn't really stop me from using two-handed weapons, or sneaking or any of the other mechanics. But CP2077 really feels like while it doesn't block off my access to game mechanics, by spec'ing into a specific path, I do feel ineffective at certain parts of the game. Like my melee is really weak compared to my handguns skills, and while it doesn't stop me from being able to punch and swing a sword, it does limit my effectiveness doing those things.

I do kind of like that, because it does feel more like an answer to one of my problems with RPGs like this, where you can max out all the combat trees and be good, if not great, at everything and just cheese the game. Like Fable, a game with 3 attacks that you can level up (melee, ranged and magic) and there's nothing stopping you mechanically from maxing out each of those stats. And personally I like that it's restricting me a little bit. And if it really bothered me, I can respec at any point by just throwing money at the problem.

You can pay to re-spec your whole tree here and there. I did that at least once in my first playthrough, maybe twice, when I realized I'd bought the wrong poo poo.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Something Xenoblade 3 does an annoying amount that I really don't like:

Following a boss fight with another boss fight, against the exact same guy. Like, no visual differences, it's just 'they didn't die the first time and you have to do it again'. Sometimes the angle is clearly that it's a second phase after a cutscene, although one time they had a chapter end with fighting someone, and after extensive cutscenes, had the next chapter start with the exact same fight but in a different place.

It's a problem that combines with Xenoblade 3's general gameplay being too busy to make any fight especially distinct; I'm sure the second fight has different attacks and mechanics, but it doesn't matter because it's still seven people pounding on one guy who doesn't have the ability to sufficiently change up that dynamic. At least if someone turns into a giant monster in the second phase I know something's changed, even if I handle it in the exact same way.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

So what exactly did you do with that first massive download then, Starfield :arghfist::confused:

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
Its unencrypting the files from what I can tell. Mine was up at 250MB/s for a bit.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

CitizenKain posted:

Its unencrypting the files from what I can tell. Mine was up at 250MB/s for a bit.

I guess you're right, looking in the task manager shows a lot of disk usage but not network usage. What a confusing way to present it.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Captain Hygiene posted:

I guess you're right, looking in the task manager shows a lot of disk usage but not network usage. What a confusing way to present it.

Yep. Starting to wish I installed this on a faster drive though.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

CitizenKain posted:

Yep. Starting to wish I installed this on a faster drive though.

Ugh, well that probably explains why the speed has been dropping slower and slower, it ignored my setting to install on the ssd and it's unpacking onto the hdd. loving Windows Xbox environment is such a trashfire, it always does stuff like this. It's a crapshoot whenever I jump back into gamepass whether or not it'll just randomly poo poo itself over a particular game, making me spend multiple evenings getting the install back into working order :sigh:

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

i cant believe the download is 140gb

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

CzarChasm posted:

First, I'm playing this on PS5 and it runs and looks great. But I'm playing it on a decent sized screen (36") and I can just barely read the descriptions while sitting on my couch 10ft away.

36" is absolutely tiny for a modern display

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

big mean giraffe posted:

36" is absolutely tiny for a modern display

Especially at 10' lol.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

CitizenKain posted:

This is why I basically never pre-load games on steam. It doesn't really save me any time, especially if it's a bigger game, since as far as I've done it at least; it needs to do this anyway so I'm left twiddling my thumbs when I go to play it.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Meowywitch posted:

i cant believe the download is 140gb

That sounds right tbh games are stupid big anymore

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Len posted:

That sounds right tbh games are stupid big anymore

Genuine question, is this usage of the word anymore part of the American vernacular, because what the gently caress?

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
Yeah, it should be everymore

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
I picked up Agents of Mayhem for practically nothing the other day, and I wish I could turn off the dialogue altogether instead of merely muting it. Every time I hear a character - any character - speak, I feel part of my soul dying just a little more. Every piece of dialogue is full of some lovely quip, one liner, joke, or Whedonism that really came to be emblematic of the last decade in popular culture. It feels like the perfect example you can point to if someone is asking about the death of sincerity in media. I really don't know what I expected; I'd heard the warnings, but I didn't realize it was this bad.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

DoubleNegative posted:

I picked up Agents of Mayhem for practically nothing the other day, and I wish I could turn off the dialogue altogether instead of merely muting it. Every time I hear a character - any character - speak, I feel part of my soul dying just a little more. Every piece of dialogue is full of some lovely quip, one liner, joke, or Whedonism that really came to be emblematic of the last decade in popular culture. It feels like the perfect example you can point to if someone is asking about the death of sincerity in media. I really don't know what I expected; I'd heard the warnings, but I didn't realize it was this bad.

How's the gameplay? Also bad?

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

CzarChasm posted:

How's the gameplay? Also bad?

It's fine, it's adequate. Perfectly serviceable. Without the quips, it's a competently made singleplayer hero shooter. I'm still early enough in that the gameplay loop hasn't worn on me yet.

I paid $3 for it, and that feels like it's about right.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

DoubleNegative posted:

Well that happened *pixar face*

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

I'm a massive Volition mark and even advocate for the Saints Row reboot being better than people say, but there is nothing salvageable in Agents of Mayhem.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

AoM is fun, but only for an hour or so once you realize you've seen all there is to see

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

What other single-player games very much feel like they were the end-result of a cut-down multiplayer title?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Inspector Gesicht posted:

What other single-player games very much feel like they were the end-result of a cut-down multiplayer title?

Wasn't Kingdoms of Amalur actually a reworked MMO, or was it just supposed to be a lead-in to the world of one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I never played that one because I didnt want to give that sock-soiler money.