Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
Almost done with my NG+++ walk of shame because I screwed up the third ending on ++. Make sure you really pay attention when you’re on ++, sheesh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Funktastic
Dec 27, 2012

College Slice
Fires of Raven - So where was Walter in all of this? Last I heard from him was at the end of Ch 4 when Raven gets incapacitated by Snail and captured. Then afterwards Carla and everyone else talks about Walter like he's dead but I didn't get any indication of that happening? If the answer is a spoiler from another path/ending then I don't want to know yet.

Also having tons of fun with a double melee build with a laser lance/pulse sword/Zimmer/stun needle. Sometimes I'll swap out the pulse sword for a pile bunker if I can punish the stagger easily with a charged hit but I find that I do the charge move sometimes accidentally. Maybe not the most meta build but definitely a ton of fun.

Mr. Funktastic fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Sep 5, 2023

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Mr. Funktastic posted:

Fires of Raven - So where was Walter in all of this? Last I heard from him was at the end of Ch 4 when Raven gets incapacitated by Snail and captured. Then afterwards Carla and everyone else talks about Walter like he's dead but I didn't get any indication of that happening? If the answer is a spoiler from another path/ending then I don't want to know yet.

in that ending arquebus grab him at the same time they grab you but since he disappears they probably just shot Walter

Mr. Funktastic
Dec 27, 2012

College Slice

Brandfarlig posted:

in that ending arquebus grab him at the same time they grab you but since he disappears they probably just shot Walter

Maybe I missed it but if that's the case then it wasn't communicated all that well if that's what happened. I'm assuming the end of Ch 4 plays out the same way in every run but maybe I'm wrong since I haven't gotten that far yet in NG+.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Ibblebibble posted:

Rusty's theme with vocals is my personal favourite track from the game.
Yeah, mine too. Steel Haze (Rusted Pride)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqrrMG21Ftc

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Ibblebibble posted:

Is it just me or are the Sazabi legs just really loving slow as hell?
Expand the stats, they have a jump distance of like 30 lol

But yeah if you feel absolutely GLACIAL than you're possibly maxed out on weight and possibly using a booster with a very low ideal weight target and you're getting penalized even further.

The only way you're dodging much of anything meaningful with those legs is never using lock on and getting good at directional after boosting

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Mr. Funktastic posted:

Maybe I missed it but if that's the case then it wasn't communicated all that well if that's what happened. I'm assuming the end of Ch 4 plays out the same way in every run but maybe I'm wrong since I haven't gotten that far yet in NG+.

Its in the cinematic where you get captured, they're like "make sure to grab his handler too" and you get his dead drop communique and Carla takes over so you can safely assume he got black bagged - in the liberation ending Walter shows up in an AC and has clearly been under the same kind of mind control bullshit it was said they were trying to do to you. My assumption is he was in some prison re-education camp somewhere and got blowed up with everyone else. In the Fires ending Snail was still alive and probably rushing to come up with a plan but you fight Ayre and burn the planet before Walter 2.0 can be deployed. In Liberation you kill Snail and Walter shows up half-programmed.

Jerkface fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Sep 5, 2023

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Glagha posted:

So I'm well past Balteus but I saw multiple people saying tank treads were the way to go, but on like every boss including that one I've always had to switch OFF tank treads because it always felt like every one has like a big "Dodge this or eat poo poo" attack that is nearly impossible to dodge with the lovely boosters you're stuck with on treads. For Balteus I can't remember I feel like it has a ground target explosion or something, and for Sea Spider it was the melees and the charge laser where I could always dodge the first but never the second. Hell, even cleaner was a nightmare unless I had air mobility because I just couldn't lift fast enough to jump the arms. Am I missing something dodging with treads? I REALLY wanna use them but it feels like absolute suicide on everything but trash, like I'm super fat rolling in dark souls

I did everything on the heavy tank treads.

The trick is that you need to learn what can be shrugged off and what needs to be dodged, and save your limited amount of boost/hover for those. On top of that, you need to learn when to use each. Hover will let you dodge stuff with strategic use of cutting it or changing directions, so learn to do that for missiles and other multihit attacks and save boosts for big megalasers and other beefy single hits. Of course, you can't be aerial too much or you'll run out of energy, so that's the challenge.

You also want the beefiest weapons possible. This seems obvious, but the entire point of being a tank is to use those heavy weapons non-stop, so get used to bazookas and charged laser rifles and so on and how to maximize your hit rate with them. You can also run the massive missile launchers, but you could do that on heavy bipeds or tetras so if that's what you want consider if the tank treads are what's best (n.b.: I ran missile launchers a bunch. My soul is weak for missile spam tanks). You probably don't want to carry a melee weapon, but boost kick rips chunks off life bars anyway.

Obviously you're gonna have more trouble with some bosses by sticking to slow and beefy, but it can be done.

Mr. Funktastic
Dec 27, 2012

College Slice

Jerkface posted:

Its in the cinematic where you get captured, they're like "make sure to grab his handler too" and you get his dead drop communique and Carla takes over so you can safely assume he got black bagged - in the liberation ending Walter shows up in an AC and has clearly been under the same kind of mind control bullshit it was said they were trying to do to you. My assumption is he was in some prison re-education camp somewhere and got blowed up with everyone else. In the Fires ending Snail was still alive and probably rushing to come up with a plan but you fight Ayre and burn the planet before Walter 2.0 can be deployed. In Liberation you kill Snail and Walter shows up half-programmed.

Thanks, figured it probably had something to do with Arquebus but I wasn't sure.

Expo70
Nov 15, 2021

Can't talk now, doing
Hot Girl Stuff
Currently stuck on AAP03 Enforcer. The game is trying to say to me, "OK, the game is now about picking a meta build, not a playstyle, use building to problemsolve" -- and again, the only problem to solve in this game is one: Burst damage which is really really really boring... So I'm trying to make it interesting in any way I possibly can.

I desperately wish I could circumvent stagger, or at least have a fair shake at ranged gunplay. I want to play Armored Core, not Mekiro.

I hated the splitting of boost and ascend into different buttons as its murder on my right hand (thumb was ripped off in an accident as a kid and reattached and its hurt ever since), so I'm deliberately not running any right side weapons just out of sheer frustration, and I color the AC's arm to communicate that. No clue why it keeps defaulting to keyboard indicators: I'm using a controller.

The thing I'm most angry about is the boss gets priority even if I attack first in his animations which is frankly bullshit, meaning the windows are absurdly tight.

Right now, AC feels more like Dark Souls than AC. Yes, I get my weapon choice influences that, but at this point I'm loving sick of not being able to gunplay properly without being a slave to stagger.

I loving hate AC6, but its AC so I have to beat it.

Gonna mod the regs later to remove stagger. So loving sick of it. As if lag pursuit fire-control in place of lead pursuit to intentionally nerf guns wasn't bad enough.

At least this is fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJQM6ZzUQ-E

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Jerkface posted:

You do get some details about what happens to Walter while he's in space jail.

Arquebus has a detention center on Rubicon named the "Factory," which is where they send any prisoners who have experience piloting ACs. You can find a data log named "Testing New Components" in the Escape mission which talks about Arquebus running performance trials on their new unmanned ACs, noting how they aren't performing noticeably better than AIs despite humans being better AC pilots.

That doesn't really make a whole lot of sense until you see the note at the bottom requesting that the Factory send the next parts shipment in with the torso intact.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Expo70 posted:

No, you don't. Stop being weird about it. If you're not having fun go do something fun instead of whatever this is.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

CuddleCryptid posted:

This may be exposing my scrub nature but I don't really see the benefit of missiles over direct fire weapons. The majority of the time when I'm having a problem that can't be solved with normal hand weapon fire it's because it's a boss enemy, and by and large they are either A) big enough that you have 0% chance of missing with a direct fire shoulder weapon or B) they're nimble enough that 75% of the missiles end up missing anyways.

I've brought missiles on sufferance to some fights just because I bought the drat things but I almost always end up missing my cannons.

You know this sequence is great because half this thread (including me) is people ducking in after that level to go "did you see that poo poo holy gently caress"

In my experience the big benefits of missiles are
1. You can fire them at nearly any moment with the tap of a button and zero recoil if you have a lock, unlike most back weapons on bipeds.
2. They have really really good range, full damage from your max lock distance.
3. The plasmas have aoe which can be convenient.

So they're mostly good for taking out trash mobs pretty much as soon as you see them, and against harder opponents they can help keep the impact gauge from decaying. Not incredible in general, but always okay and really good for a few missions.

This is, of course, assuming missiles popped on the shoulder of another build, not a full missile build like the one I encountered during my only foray into pvp that killed me before I could get close.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

How do you hold your controller, Expo? I’m struggling to figure out why a thumb injury would keep you from using weapons. I have hand problems too and hard lock has actually made this the least intense game on my right thumb.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Captain France posted:

In my experience the big benefits of missiles are
1. You can fire them at nearly any moment with the tap of a button and zero recoil if you have a lock, unlike most back weapons on bipeds.
2. They have really really good range, full damage from your max lock distance.
3. The plasmas have aoe which can be convenient.

So they're mostly good for taking out trash mobs pretty much as soon as you see them, and against harder opponents they can help keep the impact gauge from decaying. Not incredible in general, but always okay and really good for a few missions.

This is, of course, assuming missiles popped on the shoulder of another build, not a full missile build like the one I encountered during my only foray into pvp that killed me before I could get close.

They're also nice if you have a charge up weapon because you can use one or the other to force an enemy AC to dodge, which opens them up to not dodging the followup attack. ie fire a missile salvo and then fire a full burst charged shot as soon as they dodge the missiles, or vice versa. This is honestly the only way I've found to land fully charged non-melee hits on enemy AC's, otherwise they just perfect dodge away from them 100% of the time.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)
Vertical missiles also work really good on CATAPHRACT.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Missiles are relatively cheap for their killing power overall

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Expo70 posted:

No clue why it keeps defaulting to keyboard indicators: I'm using a controller.

it depends on what you press when the game boots up. if u use a controller it'll use controller icons. if u use keyboard at the title screen, it'll go with kbm icons.

Romes128 fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Sep 5, 2023

Expo70
Nov 15, 2021

Can't talk now, doing
Hot Girl Stuff

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

How do you hold your controller, Expo? I’m struggling to figure out why a thumb injury would keep you from using weapons. I have hand problems too and hard lock has actually made this the least intense game on my right thumb.

The reattachment created problems in my index and middle finger on my right hand. RSI and Carpel because I type so much make it worse.

Hardlock is a blessing.

Having to ever hit a face button is pure misery.

My take mostly is that I would prefer if I could fastfall (ie, turn the boosters off like in older games) without screwing up my lateral momentum, and not only can I not do that, but booster is toggle again so I end up just bypassing it by quickboosting to get moving. There's a lot of mistakes where I just forget to quickboost to initiate boost, and as a result I keep getting caught short.

I want jump, and boost on the same trigger or button, and I want it to be a double tap like it used to be on 3rd/4th gen. It was much, much easier on my hands.

Romes128 posted:

the rest is get gud tho

Modern FROM software artificial difficulty is popular because armchair warriors get to feel important and special, and learned helpless folks get to say it "cured their depression" right before they go back to maladaptive patterns.

The game needs to get good, not me lmao

Expo70 fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Sep 5, 2023

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

AtomikKrab posted:

Missiles are relatively cheap for their killing power overall

missiles got me through half of my first run.

the vertical missiles were incredibly useful for smart cleaner and direct fire were really good for AC's.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

That’s fair. I’ll play around with bindings today and see if maybe I can come up with suggestions with that in mind.

Side note: telling someone with a identifiable gaming accessibility issue to git gud is actually a huge rear end in a top hat thing to do

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

That’s fair. I’ll play around with bindings today and see if maybe I can come up with suggestions with that in mind.

Side note: telling someone with a identifiable gaming accessibility issue to git gud is actually a huge rear end in a top hat thing to do

my bad, i removed it.

sorry expo.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Romes128 posted:

it depends on what you press when the game boots up. if u use a controller it'll use controller icons. if u use keyboard at the title screen, it'll go with kbm icons.

It's also bugged and resets every now and then but you can fix it in the settings menu.

Expo70
Nov 15, 2021

Can't talk now, doing
Hot Girl Stuff

Romes128 posted:

my bad, i removed it.

sorry expo.

eh, I still think modern FROM is a toilet, and I have very strong, very cracked and weird opinions about the Miyazaki and Yamamura era of the company and the void Nabeshima left.

If you particularly hate yourself, you can read about them here.

Here's my thoughts as a game designer on AC6, as someone who's been playing these games for the last thousand years or w/e if you REALLY hate yourself.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Expo70 posted:

My take mostly is that I would prefer if I could fastfall (ie, turn the boosters off like in older games) without screwing up my lateral momentum, and not only can I not do that, but booster is toggle again so I end up just bypassing it by quickboosting to get moving. There's a lot of mistakes where I just forget to quickboost to initiate boost, and as a result I keep getting caught short.
This is definitely a sore spot in the controls. Your best bet is to just let go of the left stick and free fall straight down, that's the fastest way to the ground that isn't AB'ing straight down. Not great!

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

Expo70 posted:

The reattachment created problems in my index and middle finger on my right hand. RSI and Carpel because I type so much make it worse.

Hardlock is a blessing.

Having to ever hit a face button is pure misery.

I want jump, and boost on the same trigger or button, and I want it to be a double tap like it used to be on 3rd/4th gen. It was much, much easier on my hands.

Honestly, there's almost no reason to ever press the regular boost button, they might as well just make your boost never switch off.

Have you considered giving up a shoulder or two to rebind quickboost and jump? It'd suck but probably less than giving up the entire right side. You could probably even do some fuckery with the Steam controller settings to just use one button with double tap.

Alternatively, my low level carpal tunnel mostly only gets triggered by kb/m so this would be a terrible suggestion for me but maybe not for you, have you tried kb/m? If nothing else that'd make it easier to move quickboost and jump to your left hand.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)
"artificial difficulty"

Expo70
Nov 15, 2021

Can't talk now, doing
Hot Girl Stuff

Captain France posted:

Honestly, there's almost no reason to ever press the regular boost button, they might as well just make your boost never switch off.

I had this thought too but in experimenting with a more 6dof experience built on the ideas presented in Armored Core in Unreal Engine, boost became very important again for a lot of technical movements. Then going back, I think the answer is to speed up the walking and to improve turnspeeds when walking rather than getting rid of it.

Captain France posted:

Have you considered giving up a shoulder or two to rebind quickboost and jump? It'd suck but probably less than giving up the entire right side. You could probably even do some fuckery with the Steam controller settings to just use one button with double tap.
I'm fighting about 12 years of muscle memory from 4th gen, and this was the first thing I did.

Captain France posted:

Alternatively, my low level carpal tunnel mostly only gets triggered by kb/m so this would be a terrible suggestion for me but maybe not for you, have you tried kb/m? If nothing else that'd make it easier to move quickboost and jump to your left hand.
kbm feels terrible. I'm on a moonlander keyboard and an MX Ergo trackball. I don't play first person shooters, because their input checks are too strict, and their game-models are basically hitscan tictacs about area control which are completely braindead so I don't have years of FPS experience. I did play a lot of Quake 3 back in the day, but I dropped FPS games in 2008 because Armored Core finally got an online multiplayer and all the hitscan short range/crawlmove fps games were incredibly boring.

War Wizard posted:

"artificial difficulty"

"please perform this arbitrary task"
"please ignore that the enemy gets priority when attacking even if you attack during his window, specifically to punish the playstyle we've spent the last four bosses incentivizing"
"please ignore that you can trivialize most of the bosses by getting directly above or below and messing with how they compute your relative position due designers wanting to use eulers instead of dot products"
"please ignore the massive nerfs to basic functionality across the board from weapons to mobility and ranging purely to incentivise a particular playstyle, which by the way has such a long wind-up that niche impact weapons at close range completely undermine the specific weapon-group we've been trying to sell you on for years because we're a company who make games about men with pointy sticks hitting bigger men with much bigger scarier pointy sticks, and occasionally magic or some poo poo idk"

Expo70 fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Sep 5, 2023

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Expo, I take it you’re playing on PC. I can’t do this on PS5, but at least weapon wise is it possible for you to bind circle as a toggle through Steam so you could do something like:

L1 = L2
L2 = R2
(This is for your hand weapons)

And then since you’re using quickboost to enter boost:

Circle (or B depending on controller) + L1 = L1
Circle + L2 = R2
(For shoulders)

This way you can fire everything with your left hand with minimal face button pressing (would holding O/B as a toggle be too much?) and then it would free up R1 and R2 for ascend and quick boost?

ETA: looks like other people had similar ideas. Sorry to hear the game isn’t as accessible as it should be

Big Bowie Bonanza fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Sep 5, 2023

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Carla and Chatty are NOT loving around

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Expo70 posted:

Currently stuck on AAP03 Enforcer. The game is trying to say to me, "OK, the game is now about picking a meta build, not a playstyle, use building to problemsolve" -- and again, the only problem to solve in this game is one: Burst damage which is really really really boring... So I'm trying to make it interesting in any way I possibly can.

I desperately wish I could circumvent stagger, or at least have a fair shake at ranged gunplay. I want to play Armored Core, not Mekiro.

I hated the splitting of boost and ascend into different buttons as its murder on my right hand (thumb was ripped off in an accident as a kid and reattached and its hurt ever since), so I'm deliberately not running any right side weapons just out of sheer frustration, and I color the AC's arm to communicate that. No clue why it keeps defaulting to keyboard indicators: I'm using a controller.

The thing I'm most angry about is the boss gets priority even if I attack first in his animations which is frankly bullshit, meaning the windows are absurdly tight.

Right now, AC feels more like Dark Souls than AC. Yes, I get my weapon choice influences that, but at this point I'm loving sick of not being able to gunplay properly without being a slave to stagger.

Gonna mod the regs later to remove stagger. So loving sick of it. As if lag pursuit fire-control in place of lead pursuit to intentionally nerf guns wasn't bad enough.

At least this is fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJQM6ZzUQ-E

have you ever considered using the other 50% of the weapon slots? it might make the game easier.

unironically if you're having problems like this buy a controller with back buttons. there are some that even have 4

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Sep 5, 2023

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

"please ignore that you can trivialize most of the bosses by getting directly above or below and messing with how they compute your relative position due designers wanting to use eulers instead of dot products"

I mean, I've been doing this just because I noticed most of their guns faced forward and arced down instead of doing math, but whatever works :v:

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

turn off the TV posted:

have you ever considered using the other 50% of the weapon slots? it might make the game easier.

making fun of posts like that should be the easiest layup in the world and you still managed to gently caress it up, impressive

Expo70 posted:

"please perform this arbitrary task"
"please ignore that the enemy gets priority when attacking even if you attack during his window, specifically to punish the playstyle we've spent the last four bosses incentivizing"
"please ignore the massive nerfs to basic functionality across the board from weapons to mobility and ranging purely to incentivise a particular playstyle, which by the way has such a long wind-up that niche impact weapons at close range completely undermine the specific weapon-group we've been trying to sell you on for years because we're a company who make games about men with pointy sticks hitting bigger men with much bigger scarier pointy sticks, and occasionally magic or some poo poo idk"

This is why I suggested doing literally anything else

Expo70
Nov 15, 2021

Can't talk now, doing
Hot Girl Stuff

Expo, I take it you’re playing on PC. I can’t do this on PS5, but at least weapon wise is it possible for you to bind circle as a toggle through Steam so you could do something like:

L1 = L2
L2 = R2
(This is for your hand weapons)

And then since you’re using quickboost to enter boost:

Circle (or B depending on controller) + L1 = L1
Circle + L2 = R2
(For shoulders)

This way you can fire everything with your left hand with minimal face button pressing (would holding O/B as a toggle be too much?) and then it would free up R1 and R2 for ascend and quick boost?

ETA: looks like other people had similar ideas. Sorry to hear the game isn’t as accessible as it should be

The input schema (not the control scheme) of the game is very rough, because they had to deliniate inputs for players who don't want to remember input combinations. The fact quickturn isn't... Y'know... Quickturn... Is really getting to me the most, to the point where I just hardlock and switch my brain off. It hurts, because I really enjoyed the turnfighting in these games. Groundborne fighter jet dogfights were so cool and this is just Gundam Battle Online, or Another Century's Age or whatever. Its really dull. Decoupled camera good, instant turn bad.

turn off the TV posted:

I have for most of the game. This build is specifically me trying to keep the bosses interesting.
They're really, really, really boring. Melting them with songats or playing wheelchair warrior with dual zims is mind-numbingly dull.

I want the game to be fun. Unfortunately, fun isn't optimal in this game.

People have literally done unarmed runs of AC6.

I know you guys are sick of people saying this but underneath all the robot skins, this is a souls game, and I think its reasonable to say Yamamura doesn't really "get" Armored Core.

turn off the TV posted:

unironically if you're having problems like this buy a controller with back buttons. there are some that even have 4

Moving my fingers off the buttons onto other buttons is the entire problem, and I wouldn't be able to effectively use 50% of that four so what's the point

Expo70 fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Sep 5, 2023

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

We won't know for sure this is a Souls game until they nerf miracoral builds

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Expo70 posted:

, and I think its reasonable to say Yamamura doesn't really "get" Armored Core.

nah

Expo70
Nov 15, 2021

Can't talk now, doing
Hot Girl Stuff

yuh

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'