Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is YISUN?
Mother
A lie we tell ourselves to have a purpose
Bliss
A paradox with no solution
Father
A strong female protagonist
The weakest thing there is and the smallest crawling thing
Creator
Everything in this miserable and hellish existence
A solution with no paradoxes
View Results

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

my dad posted:

Sheng Seleris, the setting is Glorantha

e: the archetype is called Occluded iirc, realizes that the world is an illusion and then goes "and i'm gonna be in charge of it"

Reminds me of Dagoth Ur a lil

SardonicTyrant posted:

The character you are describing is a common archetype in works influenced by buddhist thought, like K6BD, so that doesn't narrow things down per se. But if you could offer some more details I can at least make an educated guess.

There's also the peaceful / wrathful / mixed bodhisattvas & deities &c, yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

SardonicTyrant posted:

The character you are describing is a common archetype in works influenced by buddhist thought

ignorance is bliss

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

Staltran posted:

I'm... not sure that's quite the intended message.

Some people are just gonna be sword poisoned. If you're patient, can withstand their violence, and don't care about collateral damage you can wait for them to violence themselves into the afterlife on their own, but sometimes you need to save the rat *right now* and I haven't seen anything in the comic to suggest that anything is going to save that rat other than violence or the threat thereof.

Guildenstern Mother fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Sep 5, 2023

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Guildenstern Mother posted:

Some people are just gonna be sword poisoned. If you're patient, can withstand their violence, and don't care about collateral damage you can wait for them to violence themselves into the afterlife on their own, but sometimes you need to save the rat *right now* and I haven't seen anything in the comic to suggest that anything is going to save that rat other than violence or the threat thereof.

Violence is unavoidable

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Violence is a tool and should be treated as such. Sometimes it is right tool. Sometimes it is not.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

violence breeds violence
but in the end it has to be this way

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Catgirl Al Capone posted:

violence breeds violence
but in the end it has to be this way

Keys of Kings, son!

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

Violence seldom solves any problem for long and seldom solves any problem well but violence always solves it.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

Mr. Lobe posted:

Violence is unavoidable

A Very Wise Frog

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
"Stop Punching Yourself" is a valuable kids game about the lessons involving the tools of violence.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

maswastaken posted:

Violence seldom solves any problem for long and seldom solves any problem well but violence always solves it.

What if im just out of toilet paper?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Sure you can attempt to address the underlying factors that affect the development of bullying behavior in modern society, and thus have to graple with poverty, racism, classism, and regular meaness.

But the kid getting bullied needs a fix *now* and there is only one fix. Save The Rat.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Calling the Teacher/Principle/Cop is just invoking the violence of the State, which is the foam sword of consequence which works because it is built on a foundation of "no really we have real violence to threaten you into compliance with"

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Okay but what about the lack of TP? Urgent question trying to shitpost

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

in this case inaction is violoence (not wiping)

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

M_Gargantua posted:

Sure you can attempt to address the underlying factors that affect the development of bullying behavior in modern society, and thus have to graple with poverty, racism, classism, and regular meaness.

But the kid getting bullied needs a fix *now* and there is only one fix. Save The Rat.

It goes a bit deeper than that, though. Meti trained Incubus AND Maya. She created the people who would save AND who would harm the rat. Or rather, she gave them the skills to actually do so.

The way I see it, when Incubus was a starving war orphan, HE was the rat, and no one saved him. That doesn't mean that all war orphans are evil, of course, but absent the horror of the war, he - and a lot of others - might have turned out different.

So the problem isn't any one person, it's war. War bad. Yeah, I know, real controversial opinion over here. But I like how this comic doesn't provide easy answers, and those that think they have them - like Incubus, Jagganoth, and even David - are immoral or utterly hosed in the head.

I don't know how this comic will resolve and how Abaddon will stick the landing, but I suspect there will never be an easy answer. It will be a lot of flawed people taking on roles they won't want, but know they must do.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

There Bias Two posted:

Reach other peoples toilet paper through violence

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Guildenstern Mother posted:

Sure, but you're talking about people now, instead of animals as before. That seems like a significant difference.

e: like the other guy was saying, I mean.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
Think this is my first quote is not edit. Huh.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Catgirl Al Capone posted:

ignorance is bliss
Royalty is a continuous appreciation of the classics.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I don't know how this comic will resolve and how Abaddon will stick the landing, but I suspect there will never be an easy answer. It will be a lot of flawed people taking on roles they won't want, but know they must do.

the solution will be friendship

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Rotten Red Rod posted:

It goes a bit deeper than that, though. Meti trained Incubus AND Maya. She created the people who would save AND who would harm the rat. Or rather, she gave them the skills to actually do so.

The way I see it, when Incubus was a starving war orphan, HE was the rat, and no one saved him. That doesn't mean that all war orphans are evil, of course, but absent the horror of the war, he - and a lot of others - might have turned out different.

So the problem isn't any one person, it's war. War bad. Yeah, I know, real controversial opinion over here. But I like how this comic doesn't provide easy answers, and those that think they have them - like Incubus, Jagganoth, and even David - are immoral or utterly hosed in the head.

Allison sparked a war where there had previously been milllennia of peace between the demiurges, and that wasn't a bad thing. Like half the little under-page stories are about a tyrannical negative peace that must be broken through cartoonish quantities of violence.

There Bias Two posted:

If you expand your definition of what makes suitable toilet paper enough you'll find something, but others may object to you wiping your rear end on everything and everyone

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

Allison sparked a war where there had previously been milllennia of peace between the demiurges, and that wasn't a bad thing. Like half the little under-page stories are about a tyrannical negative peace that must be broken through cartoonish quantities of violence.

See previous re: no easy answers.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
I propose that there is an easy answer - 99% love

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

It's worth pointing out, too, that "peace between the demiurges" didn't even mean "a lack of violence", it was just that because they had a peace between each other they were free to point their violent tendencies at their own populations. "Violence is never the answer" is something you can only say from a perspective of having all the historical violence that got you to where you are now, and all the violence that lets you stay where you are now, tucked away in a place where you don't have to see or think about it.

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

There Bias Two posted:

Use anything else. Use the walls. Use the door. Use the sink. Use your hands. Use your clothes. Use someone else's. No matter how lovely it is, there is still a brute force solution.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Lmao at Solomon. Allison’s superpower is getting all the demiurges to just live their best lives.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

There Bias Two posted:

The weak swordsman reserves his sword strokes. He clings excessively to his blade. His footwork is unsteady. His grip is too hard and he is afraid to crack the earth with his step. He has a shallow and wandering gaze, his tongue is sluggish and pale. He refuses to exhale the hot breath of the Flame Immortal.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

It's worth pointing out, too, that "peace between the demiurges" didn't even mean "a lack of violence", it was just that because they had a peace between each other they were free to point their violent tendencies at their own populations. "Violence is never the answer" is something you can only say from a perspective of having all the historical violence that got you to where you are now, and all the violence that lets you stay where you are now, tucked away in a place where you don't have to see or think about it.

Yeah, Peace is portrayed uh... not particularly great between what's going on in Throne and what we've seen of how the Demiurges treat their worlds

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

There Bias Two posted:

Oh yah right -

Use water you dolt, like a civilized monkey instead of consumerist meatsack.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
Was it even a peaceful time? Don't think the Pact of the Seven Parts World forbid a little war now and then.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

Kalli posted:

Yeah, Peace is portrayed uh... not particularly great between what's going on in Throne and what we've seen of how the Demiurges treat their worlds

Looking at the different Demi-urges, I think Mammon had the best nation for his people living in it. Like yea, it was a crazy counting cult with some self flagellation, but I don't think that was entirely mammon's fault, more like his bdsm 2nd in command.

Honestly Mammon probably had a general Universal Basic Income and work program for his people. See these coins? Count them. Good, you earned your bread. Now count them tomorrow too.

Now people outside Mammons' territories... Yea he was probably bleeding them dry through predatory loans, loan sharking and every other scheming usury he could come up with.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Ynamon is as representative of Mammon's territories as Mottom's floating pleasure city was of hers.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

YaketySass posted:

Was it even a peaceful time? Don't think the Pact of the Seven Parts World forbid a little war now and then.

Absolutely. Mentioned at least once how many untouched worlds there are, and when they crack them open, you get some combo of colonialism, invading conquering or omnicidal force or happy fun time wormageddon.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Donkringel posted:

Looking at the different Demi-urges, I think Mammon had the best nation for his people living in it. Like yea, it was a crazy counting cult with some self flagellation, but I don't think that was entirely mammon's fault, more like his bdsm 2nd in command.

Honestly Mammon probably had a general Universal Basic Income and work program for his people. See these coins? Count them. Good, you earned your bread. Now count them tomorrow too.

Now people outside Mammons' territories... Yea he was probably bleeding them dry through predatory loans, loan sharking and every other scheming usury he could come up with.

That's all conjecture though. We don't really know anything about how Mammon runs his worlds aside from how he is NOW. Remember he betrayed his family to raise his fortune - I think it's likely he ran a brutal capitalist society for much of his reign, and the coffers of the vault are full of taxes from his worlds. The little society his followers created inside the vault might have nothing to do with how his empire was - or still is, in his absence - conducted. We're seeing latter day regret for a life of greed.

I'd actually say it's Jaggonoth's worlds that have an argument for having it the best, since he didn't even bother opening most of the gates to conquer, and instead focused solely on building his own personal power.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

We don’t actually know whether Jagganoth had more or fewer unopened worlds than Mottom, iirc. He might have turned to them as a source for his military power, Mordor-ing a seventh of the omniverse.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Yeah, the weird culture inside the great vault is specifically crafted to keep Mammon insulated from his worlds. Which on balance is probably for the best, so Mammon's worlds might actually be less terrible than the average demiurge just from lack of effort.

Joe Slowboat posted:

We don’t actually know whether Jagganoth had more or fewer unopened worlds than Mottom, iirc. He might have turned to them as a source for his military power, Mordor-ing a seventh of the omniverse.

There's a tumblr Q&A from way back when where Abbadon mentioned offhand that Jagganoth didn't bother conquering his allotted worlds much.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

There Bias Two posted:

We all know what true Royalty is:

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

the holy poopacy posted:

Yeah, the weird culture inside the great vault is specifically crafted to keep Mammon insulated from his worlds. Which on balance is probably for the best, so Mammon's worlds might actually be less terrible than the average demiurge just from lack of effort.

There's a tumblr Q&A from way back when where Abbadon mentioned offhand that Jagganoth didn't bother conquering his allotted worlds much.

Ah, thanks.

Also I suspect worlds ruled by a bank with the sole purpose of erecting a wall of gold between the dragon and the other gods… are not happy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

Joe Slowboat posted:

Sheng Seleris, Murder Astronaut, who realized everything was a painful illusion, all values were relative, and nothing was of inherent worth, and thus only power matters.

And then conquered the Moon, before the Lunar Empire struck back and sent him to the Special Hell for Sheng Seleris, guarded by the Goddess of Fighting Sheng Seleris. He had an impact on their theology is what I’m saying.

This guy later on got broken out of special hell by someone who hated the lunar empire more than he loved not unleashing the ultimate ravening conqueror on all creation again.

Mixed results.