Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
interesting substack on china's tech culture and regulation

quote:

Tech platforms pose significant challenges to nation states’ legitimacy.1 They are becoming de facto institutions, not just providing crucial utilities that are central to the lives of citizens2 but setting the rules of the game in which society operates. Facebook sets the content moderation policy for one-third of the world. Twitter and others de-platformed the former president of the US, reducing him to a digital persona non grata. These are powerful private entities that are part monopoly and part public goods, but consumer welfare is not a core part of their agenda. There is gradually increasing awareness amongst lawmakers, which is why governments on three continents are reassessing the impact and reach tech giants have on their citizens. The techlash is global.

Being a developing country with underdeveloped institutional frameworks, China has a few additional issues to contend with in its approach to tech regulations. If we were to use the US and Europe’s regulation systems as benchmarks, China lags in rudimentary law making and implementation. China’s anti-monopoly laws were first passed in 2007, almost a century after the US Sherman Act of 1890, the Clayton Act of 1914 and the Federal Trade Commission Act of 1914. It’s also worth noting that Alibaba was founded in 1999, Tencent in 1998 and Baidu in 2000 — all ahead of anti-monopoly laws. Laws themselves also aren’t enough, and the State Administration of Market Regulation (SAMR) was established in April 2018 with holistic coverage to enforce the legislation.

something i never considered is the how underdeveloped china's legal system and regulation policies must be.

quote:

A key theme that runs through Chinese tech is that as a developing country with under-developed institutions, technology isn't augmenting existing institutions, but creating them.

There’s a symbiotic relationship between old public institutions and rising new digital institutions in China. Didi cleaned up the grey market for black cabs, Meituan and Ele.ma act as de facto restaurant inspectors. Every content platform carries out content moderation on behalf of the party. The government is pragmatic. In the fragmented authoritarian governance structure of China, the agents that can introduce and maintain legibility stay.

With these hybrid governance structures experiencing hypergrowth, it is not obvious what should be regulated and how. Despite the absence of a blueprint, there is a regulator cadence that I term “let the bullets fly for a while”.

super interesting how the speed of china's growth has lead to the private sector essentially acting as independent regulators and now they have to regulate the regulators. it's kind of like how they have a mixed economy.

quote:

Tech platforms have shifted towards value extraction rather than innovation for growth- With diminishing growth in overall Chinese internet users and most of the big markets already digitalised, tech giants have to focus on increasing spend from existing users to grow. COVID-19 has solidified platforms’ positions in people’s lives but users are feeling the pinch. There is discontent with price discrimination practices (Didi and other platforms will charge older customers higher prices for the same products), with the stringent conditions facing workers and with the platform tax merchants have to pay to get traffic and attention to their wares. When the size of the pie becomes fixed, every player switches to extraction mode and the consumers suffer.

Rebalancing towards a more innovative ecosystem - Technology targets in the 14th Five-Year Plan are ambitious. AI, quantum computing, semiconductors and genetic research — the future technological growth drivers won't be e-commerce but deep tech. Dan Wang’s observation that the Chinese future is focused on manufacturing, economic growth and the real economy is on point. I wouldn’t say that the existing tech giants stifle innovation, but I’m not sure how much they help. A lot of air and capital gets taken up by the shadow wars between Alibaba and Tencent. Data is sectioned off in closed gardens. The number of new Chinese startups has been falling each year. When big tech does not innovate but instead copy or acquire competitors, the ecosystem suffers.

sounds like they're aware of the danger of tech turning into rent extraction platforms like in the west and the recent increase in regulation is about trying to direct it towards innovation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Surface laptops are fine. I now prefer them over the Lenovo work horse line of laptops.

I liked the work surface laptop enough that I brought a 15" surface tablet with my own money. I used to be into Lenovo but they are over built for office use and cheap out on screen and stuff.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

i say swears online posted:

iunno how i feel about modular phones since the glued-together ones let me accidentally drop it in the pool a couple times a year

If the pool allows you to use a phone near it (i.e. not a public city pool), just get a $5 transparent phone case with neck strap. They do work for protecting against submerging in water for a while. If you go swimming in the ocean beach, you can use it to carry your car key.

Unless, by pool, you meant your toilet.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
terry crews rules

https://twitter.com/erallover/status/1698862557556072752?s=46&t=kY7HKwmb1RBg9U186lxtbg

Al-Saqr has issued a correction as of 17:02 on Sep 5, 2023

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
nice x dot com link

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
comrade terry crews leading the swoletariat to massive gains

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

crepeface posted:

circuit design university student in 2040 needing to study this:

what is this

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

Don't worry about it

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2023/9/5/indias-modi-govt-replaces-countrys-name-with-bharat-in-g20-dinner-invite

:dafuq:

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Taoist fortune telling.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

binary math with chinese characteristics

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

https://twitter.com/SouthAsiaIndex/status/1699043065669751118

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

quote:

With a large folder of bills-of-lading under his arm, Mr. Ramsey appeared. Young, smiling, he advanced, wearing the natty U.S. Midwest Plains string tie, checkered shirt and tight beltless blue jeans considered so high-place among the style-conscious of the day.

'Howdy, Mr. Tagomi,' he said. 'Right nice day, sir.' Mr. Tagomi bowed. At that, Mr. Ramsey stiffened abruptly and also bowed.

'I've been consulting the oracle,' Mr. Tagomi said, as Miss Ephreikian reseated herself with her tape recorder. 'You understand that Mr. Baynes, who as you know is arriving shortly in person, holds to the Nordic ideology regarding so-called Oriental culture. I could make the effort to dazzle him into a better comprehension with authentic works of Chinese scroll art or ceramics of our Tokugawa Period . . . but it is not our job to convert.'

'I see,' Mr. Ramsey said; his Caucasian face twisted with painful concentration.

'Therefore we will cater to his prejudice and graft a priceless American artifact to him instead.'

'Yes.'

'You, sir, are of American ancestry. Although you have gone to the trouble of darkening your skin color.' He scrutinized Mr. Ramsey.

'A tan achieved by a sun lamp,' Mr. Ramsey murmured. 'For merely acquiring vitamin D.' But his expression of humiliation gave him away. 'I assure you that I retain authentic roots with — ' Mr. Ramsey stumbled over the words. 'I have not cut off all ties with — native ethnic patterns.'

Mr. Tagomi said to Miss Ephreikian: 'Resume, please.' Once more the tape recorder whirred. 'In consulting the oracle and obtaining Hexagram Ta Kuo, Twenty-eight, I further received the unfavorable line Nine in the fifth place. It reads:

A withered poplar puts forth flowers.
An older woman takes a husband.
No blame. No praise.

'This clearly indicates that Mr. Childan will have nothing of worth to offer us at two.' Mr. Tagomi paused. 'Let us be candid. I cannot rely on my own judgment regarding American art objects. That is why a — ' He lingered over his choice of terms. 'Why you, Mr. Ramsey, who are shall I say native born, are required. Obviously we must do the best we can.'

Mr. Ramsey had no answer. But, despite his efforts to conceal, his features showed hurt, anger, a frustrated and mute reaction.

'Now,' Mr. Tagomi said. 'I have further consulted the oracle. For purposes of policy, I cannot divulge to you, Mr. Ramsey, the question.' In other words, his tone meant, you and your pinoc kind are not entitled to share the important matters which we deal in. 'It is sufficient to say, however, that I received a most provocative response. It has caused me to ponder at length.' Both Mr. Ramsey and Miss Ephreikian watched him intently.
'It deals with Mr. Baynes,' Mr. Tagomi said. They nodded. 'My question regarding Mr. Baynes produced through the occult workings of the Tao the Hexagram Sheng, Forty-six. A good judgment. And lines Six at the beginning and Nine in the second place.' His question had been, Will I be able to deal with Mr. Baynes successfully? And the Nine in the second place had assured him that he would. It read:

If one is sincere,
It furthers one to bring even a small offering.
No blame.

Obviously, Mr. Baynes would be satisfied by whatever gift the ranking Trade Mission grafted to him through the good offices of Mr. Tagomi. But Mr. Tagomi, in asking the question, had had a deeper query in the back of his mind, one of which he was barely conscious. As so often, the oracle had perceived that more fundamental query and; while answering the other, had taken it upon itself to answer the subliminal one, too.
'As we know,' Mr. Tagomi said, 'Mr. Baynes is bringing us detailed account of new injection molds developed in Sweden. Were we successfully to sign agreement with his firm, we could no doubt replace many present metals, quite scarce, with plastics.'

For years, the Pacific had been trying to get basic assistance in the synthetics field from the Reich. However, the big German chemical cartels, I. G. Farben in particular, had harbored their patents; had, in fact, created a world monopoly in plastics, especially in the development of the polyesters. By this means, Reich trade had kept an edge over Pacific trade, and in technology the Reich was at least ten years ahead. The interplanetary rockets leaving Festung Europa consisted mainly of heat-resistant plastics, very light in weight, so hard that they survived even major meteor impact. The Pacific had nothing of this sort; natural fibers such as wood were still used, and of course the ubiquitous pot metals. Mr. Tagomi cringed as he thought about it; he had seen at trade fairs some of the advanced German work, including an all-synthetic automobile, the D. S. S. — Der Schnelle Spuk — which sold, in PSA currency, for about six hundred dollars. But his underlying question, one which he could never reveal to the pinocs flitting about Trade Mission offices, had to do with an aspect of Mr. Baynes suggested by the original coded cable from Tokyo. First of all, coded material was infrequent, and dealt usually with matters of security, not with trade deals. And the cipher was the metaphor type, utilizing poetic allusion, which had been adopted to baffle the Reich monitors — who could crack any literal code, no matter how elaborate. So clearly it was the Reich whom the Tokyo authorities had in mind, not quasi-disloyal cliques in the Home Islands. The key phrase, 'Skim milk in his diet,' referred to Pinafore, to the eerie song that expounded the doctrine, '. . . Things are seldom what they seem — Skim milk masquerades as cream.' And the I Ching, when Mr. Tagomi had consulted it, had fortified his insight. Its commentary:

Here a strong man is presupposed. It is true he does not fit
in with his environment, inasmuch as he is too
brusque and pays too little attention to form. But as he is
upright in character, he meets with response.

The insight was, simply, that Mr. Baynes was not what he seemed; that his actual purpose in coming to San Francisco was not to sign a deal for injection molds. That, in fact, Mr. Baynes was a spy.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

lmao

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

modiji could have changed the countrys name to goristan

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Lol

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

oh my god

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

what name is India going to use instead ??

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

euphronius posted:

If it's anything like North Macedonia, East India could work

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

you need to read more Philip K Dick

euphronius posted:

bharat?

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

euphronius posted:

lesser pakistan

this allusion meant
Apr 9, 2006

euphronius posted:

bharat (refer to what bjp stands for)

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
deadname discourse at the UN

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
https://twitter.com/vtchakarova/status/1699016010144088309

this allusion meant
Apr 9, 2006
at least bharat is spellable with standard english letters. not sure whether türkiye is still happening

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I guess Hindustan was off the table

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

crepeface posted:

interesting substack on china's tech culture and regulation

something i never considered is the how underdeveloped china's legal system and regulation policies must be.

super interesting how the speed of china's growth has lead to the private sector essentially acting as independent regulators and now they have to regulate the regulators. it's kind of like how they have a mixed economy.

sounds like they're aware of the danger of tech turning into rent extraction platforms like in the west and the recent increase in regulation is about trying to direct it towards innovation.

meanwhile india let its burgeoning tech platforms sell themselves to amazon and walmart

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

“While there is no constitutional objection to calling India ‘Bharat’, which is one of the country’s two official names, I hope the government will not be so foolish as to completely dispense with ‘India’, which has incalculable brand value built up over centuries,” he posted on X.

this allusion meant
Apr 9, 2006
imagining some dark future where this spreads to east asia and people insist on calling their countries huaxia or yamato. presumably the korean civil war would have to restart too

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/ChinaDaily/status/1699135322993614961?s=20

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

chinese furries have surpassed their stagnant western counterparts

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

euphronius posted:

Narnia.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

its the superior gujarati grindset. if you change your businesses name you can scam another group of people.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

lol did you make fun of starfield

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Anyway, reminder that this poo poo is happening because modi's regular tactics of epic rallies where he faffs about have begun hitting diminishing returns and screaming about rahul gandhi have got more and more boring. The INC managed to wrangle in a pan india opposition party coalition to challenge modi and it was creatively titled INDIA. Ergo modi will neutralize this threat by renaming the country.

i say swears online posted:

lol did you make fun of starfield
No, I am an annoying bethesda defender whomst makes fun of fallout NV's deep nuanced writing. What pushed it over the edge was me saying that maybe bethesda should keep using their inhouse engine instead of using whatever engine Konami made that got nerds gushing when the last MGS game came out. I shall miss my Xi-over-russia flag avatar.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

the subcontinent was literally called hindustan at some point too????

An Jung-geun
Sep 2, 2022

Shear Modulus posted:

chinese furries have surpassed their stagnant western counterparts

https://twitter.com/PDChina/status/1096221209010683904

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
modi needs less Hindu and more Kush

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

slave to my cravings posted:

modi needs less Hindu and more Kush

reaganbrain has infected india. Weed must be bad because it is illegal. (Proceeds to get wasted every holi)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i remember reading secret traveler reports about bhang on webehigh.org in like 2005