Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Gaius Marius posted:

Lonesome Road is good, people give Ulysses poo poo but once you realize he's talking about himself and not the PC his character makes a lot more sense. OWB is an incredible slog after the first run through, it's a less funny episode of Venture Bros with bullet sponges everywhere. HH was just rushed

You thinking it's good is all the proof anyone needs to know it's terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
like itd be one thing if the way they handled christine as a character was at all interesting to me but the primary thing i actually remember about her is that if you have the lesbian perk you can calm her down at the end by resonating with her lesbionic energy

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i think it struck me mostly after FNV added a bunch of DLC guns that i wish there was like, a dedicated grinding area to actually use them to good effect

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

The Colonel posted:

like itd be one thing if the way they handled christine as a character was at all interesting to me but the primary thing i actually remember about her is that if you have the lesbian perk you can calm her down at the end by resonating with her lesbionic energy

i thought resonating with lesbionic energy was a real thing

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
it is, its why i am able to click my tongue in a mall and immediately echolocate all the other lesbians

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
they represented it inaccurately, as all western rpgs do

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
my source is being at a bar with my friend, going out for a smoke, and having a lesbian stop in front of us and tell her that she was giving out a strong, purple aura

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
but yeah idk it weirds me out that new vegas has some random funny gay dudes but the one funny lesbian exists in her entirety for people to talk about how she's only a funny lesbian because of her horrible trauma. i get some of the idea with her but i don't think they explore it very well and it makes it feel a bit weird

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Kotor2 was alright but kreia is so funny to me because when you stop being 15 you realize everything about her is nowhere near as deep and profound as the writers thought.

Kriea bothers me these days not because she is to blame for but she has become the poster child for people who think "grey Jedi" isn't the stupidest idea in the world.

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

The Colonel posted:

new vegas is decent but there's more about it i come to dislike the more i look back on it

I think it really benefitted from being directly compared to Fallout 3, a game it is definitely much better than. Unfortunately it still has plenty of its own issues and while I’m trying not to say games “haven’t aged well” so much, there’s a lot of technical issues and gameplay jank that (for me) were easier to look past a decade ago. There’s also a lot of story and character moments that feel off to me.

I still think it’s a very good game but I liked it more before I had played more games like it.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
im glad andor came out and it was super great so we can stop pretending we liked all this other star wars poo poo and we were just doing it to make friends :)

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

wasn't expecting to have to face daffy duck in this game

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
rogue squadron 2 was pretty good

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Dark Forces 2 ftw.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
there was a long period where star wars pc games were like guaranteed to be quality, since having golden age LucasArts as your studio has benefits

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

It was really funny to me that TOR had its own Shadowbringers complete with a less interesting emet selch years before Shadowbringers actually came out.

Really did enjoy that expansion though lol.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

New Vegas was, imo, a quite good game that benefited greatly from following up on a much worse, but also very widely popular, game.

It also had some fantastic radio song choices.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Star Wars is a good fit for game adaptations because:
1) Star fighters going whoosh and pew-pew
2) Light sabres and magic fighty powers!

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i think the most cinematically influential part of star wars was the part of rogue squadron 3 where they recreated the endor bunker scene, except this time they paid the world's worst harrison ford impersonator to fight robin atkin downes while they both run out of the explosion

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I need to know if starfield

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
It seems like a Bethesda game

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

ImpAtom posted:

Kriea bothers me these days not because she is to blame for but she has become the poster child for people who think "grey Jedi" isn't the stupidest idea in the world.

I'm of the opinion, especially in light of Planescape: Torment, that Avellone's cranky nothing-matters characters are supposed to be goddamn morons you can defy and refute, but he got real bad at making that clear after PS:T. Kreia's full of poo poo, Ulysses is full of poo poo, and you can break down his Pillars of Eternity cranky priest whose name I can't remember and show he's also full of poo poo. Meanwhile Torment was over there yelling, "gently caress these assholes who keep saying that nothing matters! Your answer is your answer and THAT'S what matters!"

Basically he had one really good story and some alright to meh reiterations of it trapped within other stories. Along with his other issues.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Bongo Bill posted:

If you're talking about FFV's story, you should pay close attention to the scripting of the story scenes. The fine details of how the characters move around and emote while talking is a huge step forward from FFIV (which was itself also an impressive advancement), and it is noticeably more sophisticated than many of its contemporaries.

The opening sequence of FF5 is on a whole other level than its contemporaries. Even if its story is pretty basic, its storytelling set a new standard.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

Kreia is very stupid and I don't like her but I feel like the game lets me call her stupid and condescending often enough that I'm cool with her existing. I like pretty much all the other party members pretty well and I really like how the game specifically states that none of these people would normally be working together and it's literally the players magic powers. Also enjoy that I can ask Hanharr and HK-47 if they know what love is. Better than someone like Durance or Grieving Mother IMO.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Meowywitch posted:

I need to know if starfield

It's pretty bad even by bethesda standards. if you have gamepass give it a try for free though. Do not spend 70 loving dollars on it lol

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

OddObserver posted:

Star Wars is a good fit for game adaptations because:
1) Star fighters going whoosh and pew-pew
2) Light sabres and magic fighty powers!

Honestly I kind of think it may not be for the #2 reason. Video games are at least part of why I think Star Wars lost the trail of what The Force is.

The Force, as presented, is not a weapon or tool, it's literally a direct connection to a divine omnipotent force which attempts to guide you. The more you attempt to use it as a tool the more dangerous it becomes to use because past a certain point you're taking the divine power and twisting it to your own needs which is inherently corruptive. The original trilogy paints the truly talented as capable of miracles but those miracles are things like "ascending to a greater afterlife" or whatnot. The true great victories don't come from earning enough power to defeat an enemy but in a willingness to trust in your divine godlike energy force to the point you lay down your weapon in the face of an enemy who is going to kill you.

But there's a total of one Star Wars game that actually executed that (Dark Forces 2: Mysteries of the Sith where the final boss is your mentor and you win the fight by disabling your lightsaber because otherwise they are unbeatable.) Games and such instead inherently build themselves around getting stronger and more powerful and 'unlocking' greater Force Powers which in turn is... weird. It leads to stuff like Cal Kestus force pushing dudes off the edge and getting a Force Rage superpower or Kyle Katarn spewing lightning everywhere and it can feel cool to play but basically lead to the situation where have where people think characters need to train to get good at Force and whatever.

I think you can do this well but it'd be something where you have actual choices to interact with the environment that aren't Stab or Shoot.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

It's only vaguely RPG adjacent but Grounded is also a fantastic game by modern Obsidian. It's not mind blowing like Pentiment but it is one of the best co-op survival things I've played and I've played a lot of them.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i feel like that's giving star wars video games a lot more power over the series than they actually have when the main thing is just, george lucas was george lucas and disney is literally incapable of thought

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Colonel posted:

i feel like that's giving star wars video games a lot more power over the series than they actually have

Star Wars is one series where you can't really say that. The video games had a huge impact on the franchise as a whole, as did the RPG systems. Heck, writers for some of the books worked on both! The original EU was absolutely filled with stuff that originated in one of those (right down to Kyle Katarn showing up and being a big deal.) And the EU trickled back into the main series and there's quite a few things that are now 'canon' that originated in games.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Oh also it has it's own thread but I feel like mentioning that Rune Factory 3 S has just dropped. It's a really good farming rpg from the 2000s that's gotten a flash new remake.

Only caveat is you can't choose your lead so you are a dude and no gay marriage.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

A Sometimes Food posted:

Oh also it has it's own thread but I feel like mentioning that Rune Factory 3 S has just dropped. It's a really good farming rpg from the 2000s that's gotten a flash new remake.

Only caveat is you can't choose your lead so you are a dude and no gay marriage.

It's worth noting that it is exactly the same game with the addition of the same kind of "Newlywed" mini-ventures they've been doing lately so it feels more dated than RF4S.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

A Sometimes Food posted:

It's only vaguely RPG adjacent but Grounded is also a fantastic game by modern Obsidian. It's not mind blowing like Pentiment but it is one of the best co-op survival things I've played and I've played a lot of them.

Maybe I didn't give it enough time but I tried this and didn't really find it terribly fun.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

A Sometimes Food posted:

It's extremely good. My friends and I played through it and had a blast spearing bugs and building a house full of trophies. That there's a story and area progression, and not just aimless survival helps too.

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

Grounded is one of the only co-op survival games I’ve really enjoyed. I don’t typically like the genre but that one really worked for me. It’s not an RPG unless you use the loosest possible definition, but definitely an excellent game.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Star Wars is one of those things I never got deep into because the more you thought about it the more it kind of broke down.

I did like the duology of KOTOR and KOTOR2 being thematic foils to each other, though it wasn't until Noah Caldwell-Gervais did the homework that very few people bothered to and actually read Hero of a Thousand Faces that I actually learned just how much of Star Wars was just cribbing Joseph Campbell's notes. Not only in the broad "hero's journey" sense but also a lot of his weirder philosophical ideas. A large portion of the spiritual ideas in Star Wars and the Force are taken straight from Campbell's book but they're the weird bits nobody likes.

This is why decades later you still have people remarking about how strange or dumb Star Wars and its spirituality is. It's because Campbell was a strange and dumb guy with a lot of hangups and George Lucas just kind of transplanted them wholesale, hangups and all.

Kreia's arguments don't hold up particularly well out of high school but KOTOR2 is still very interesting for providing diegetic counterarguments to the Jedi as depicted in the first game. Both together make a more interesting conversation than either game alone in a vacuum would.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Beat Jedi Survivor a couple days ago and thought it was pretty good even if it loses steam in the back third. So frankly Star Wars is pretty sick imo.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

ImpAtom posted:

Star Wars is one series where you can't really say that. The video games had a huge impact on the franchise as a whole, as did the RPG systems. Heck, writers for some of the books worked on both! The original EU was absolutely filled with stuff that originated in one of those (right down to Kyle Katarn showing up and being a big deal.) And the EU trickled back into the main series and there's quite a few things that are now 'canon' that originated in games.

the star wars eu is huge yeah but. a lot of how the goofier ideas of star wars trickle into the main movies is just... because star wars is a pretty silly series made by a silly man and the modern movies are largely corporate-driven reflections of the cultural idea of star wars. a lot of what defines the original trilogy of star wars positively isn't its deep philosophical or thematic content, it's that the first movie is pretty endearing cheesy fun that's very impressive for how it was put together and the one after it is just, a really well directed movie. and the one after that uhhh, has some fun sequences and a funny bad guy, but it's already where a lot about the series starts feeling more, well, video game-y and it came out years before a lot of those video games did.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
hero of a thousand faces and joesph campbell suck. annoys me to no end people still hold up that poo poo as something to be followed.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
basically whether star wars video games had built up a 30 year legacy or not we'd probably still be living in a world where somehow in some way george lucas would have tried naming a character "darth icky". and that's the good part of star wars

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
god i can't believe some dude finally unlocked the powerful truth at the center of all stories for the past uhh, let me check, 6000 years ago or so that encompasses every bit of this globe and its thousands and thousands of cultures, and it turns out that it resembles the worldview of a conservative hippie white guy. wow, who would have guessed.