Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

bird food bathtub posted:

How do I deal with this 60-70 slump? Everything in the world I try to fight is 5 or more levels below me so my exp is trash and leveling blows, but if I step up into the next world tier everything is like 10 levels above me and I get my face smashed in by anything that moves. I've been wandering around revealing every possible zone and getting all the 4 paragon point max regional rewards just to have something to do. Everything I fight that I can survive is so far beneath me I just watch my skeletons crush it all with no input, but also no reward.

Marathon NMDs until you're five levels under WT4 and go smash that. The NMD will scale, they only broke overworld scaling. Legions might scale too, +3 I think.

If you can't fight things above your level pick an arbitrary stopping point and dust your hands off satisfied with the season. Or grind gear and power up, WT4 is doable 10-15 levels under.

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Sep 5, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?

Doomykins posted:

Marathon NMDs until you're five levels under WT4 and go smash that. The NMD will scale, they only broke overworked scaling. Legions might scale too, +3 I think.

If you can't fight things above your level pick an arbitrary stopping point and dust your hands off satisfied with the season. Or grind gear and power up, WT4 is doable 10-15 levels under.

helltides also scale and are dense enough that they’re pretty good until 65/70 ish.

i also just found a ‘mutterlock’ chest in a nmd. had to find a few pillars that spoke a clue word to decipher the chest. not sure if that’s always been there but it was a neat little different way to do a resplendent chest

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?
ah jesus just about rip’d my sorc due to server disconnect. not sure if that was on my end or the server. would be a shame to lose it at 87. haven’t otherwise even popped my firewall, let alone death evasion potion

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Neat, thanks for the alternatives I can work with. I'll probably lean more towards the nightmare dungeons over the helltides. I think everything from helltides in this tier will end up being outclassed by ancestral stuff in the next tier pretty quick, but leveling paragon board stuff will stick around.

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?
afaik the trick to farm embers in WT3 > change difficulty in Kyovashod to WT4 > open chests of mystery in WT4 for ancestral loot still works. so if you can handle clearing level ~75 mobs around the chests you can get the best of both worlds

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

harrygomm posted:

afaik the trick to farm embers in WT3 > change difficulty in Kyovashod to WT4 > open chests of mystery in WT4 for ancestral loot still works. so if you can handle clearing level ~75 mobs around the chests you can get the best of both worlds

I doubt I can handle that. I switched to tier 4, walked out of town and got my poo poo wrecked then turbo dunked on for about half an hour by random spirits and fallen just outside of town at the lowest level of world spawning available. Trying to play in the helltide zones would just be an exercise in frustration. I haven't been scientifically min/maxing my gear so far. I kinda just take whatever I get and looks good then press on to the next thing. The jump from the end of world spawns available for random level grinding in tier 3 and the entrance to tier 4 is just a really wide one and I didn't see any immediately obvious gap-fillers. Hopefully nightmare paragon leveling will give me time to level on something that matches me instead of staying underleveled, work on something that will stick around after the transition, and maybe even pick out a few pieces of gear along the way.

Fistful of Silence
Aug 22, 2003

Science fiction writers, I am sorry to say, really do not know anything. We can't talk about science, because our knowledge of it is limited and unofficial, and usually our fiction is dreadful.

Grimey Drawer

harrygomm posted:

if you never found a 3/4 ring from 60 to 90 well, you must have the worst luck in the game. i usually find at least one 3/4 for every slot every hour or two
I’m at 95 currently and have never seen a 3/4 ancestral ring for my build. Or to be specific, I’ve never seen a vicious 3/4; I’ve seen it a few times with devious or brutal, but I need vicious for my build. Same with amulets. The heart colors really mess things up here.

EDIT: It’s worse than this actually. I’m still running a 1/4 vicious ring because I’ve only ever found one 2/4 vicious ring so far. Vulnerable is ridiculously rare for me for some reason.

Fistful of Silence fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Sep 5, 2023

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Fistful of Silence posted:

I’m at 95 currently and have never seen a 3/4 ancestral ring for my build. Or to be specific, I’ve never seen a vicious 3/4; I’ve seen it a few times with devious or brutal, but I need vicious for my build. Same with amulets. The heart colors really mess things up here.

EDIT: It’s worse than this actually. I’m still running a 1/4 vicious ring because I’ve only ever found one 2/4 vicious ring so far. Vulnerable is ridiculously rare for me for some reason.

Your build requires three vicious and zero wrathful hearts?

ixo
Sep 8, 2004

m'bloaty

Fun Shoe

what's your build? do you just need vuln/csd/csc/maxlife, or something else?

Fistful of Silence
Aug 22, 2003

Science fiction writers, I am sorry to say, really do not know anything. We can't talk about science, because our knowledge of it is limited and unofficial, and usually our fiction is dreadful.

Grimey Drawer

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Your build requires three vicious and zero wrathful hearts?

It’s two vicious and a wrathful. I run the wrathful in a brutal ring. It’s still 2/4 because I threw away the 3/4 brutal / devious rings early, assuming I would see plenty of vicious ones which are the most useful to me. (I haven’t seen any 3/4 brutal / devious rings since then either.) Same with the 2/4 vicious ring I had; I got it early and the rolls were low, so when I found a 1/4 with near max roll I swapped. Wish I hadn’t now.

ixo posted:

what's your build? do you just need vuln/csd/csc/maxlife, or something else?

Bone spear necro, so those things yes. I see crit chance / damage all the time but need vuln the most on rings which shows up much more rarely and I prioritize it. For amulet my problem is requiring movement speed because necro is slow and that also seems rare. It’s so rare for me that I’m running a 1/4 necklace because getting near max roll on movement speed and having vicious are so important for my build.

EDIT: I’m just a semi-casual gamer following a Maxroll build so feel free to make fun of me or say I’m doing things wrong. The huge amount of stuff in D4 feels overwhelming to me without following a build guide. Despite the shittiness of my ring/amulet situation it still mostly feels good currently because my other gear is much better. Really it’s just rings and amulets that are annoying for me.

Fistful of Silence fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Sep 5, 2023

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?
that was a hella good end of XP boost for me. got the helltide + whispers + legion event combo and got a ton of good potential stuff.

you got a lot of leeway there tbh. a 3/4 with max essence + crit chance + lucky hit is still p good. actually, looking at my necro who cleared uber this season, i don’t have vuln on either ring and i’m running barber + corpse explode vicious + decrepify brutal. i got exceedingly lucky with my amulet, i posted a screenshot of it a while back, it is still probably the best item i’ve found in the game so far. max CDR, 22.3 out of 23.7 essence cost, +3 fueled by death, and rolled 24.8% MS on it

anyway i bet generally you’re too harsh with you hard requirements for stuff. i beat t100 and uber lillith with 90.8% vuln damage. crit damage and crit with bone damage is ~640% combined and my crit is at 101% with bone storm going. max essence is a lot more powerful than vuln for most bone spear builds i’ve seen and i couldn’t stop rolling that on my rings for love nor money

Fistful of Silence
Aug 22, 2003

Grimey Drawer

harrygomm posted:

anyway i bet generally you’re too harsh with you hard requirements for stuff. i beat t100 and uber lillith with 90.8% vuln damage. crit damage and crit with bone damage is ~640% combined and my crit is at 101% with bone storm going. max essence is a lot more powerful than vuln for most bone spear builds i’ve seen and i couldn’t stop rolling that on my rings for love nor money
That’s good to know. Maybe I’ll try for max essence instead going forward. But the skills and paragon boards in the Maxroll build are set up for vulnerable damage and I’m not sure I’m feeling up to rejiggering those.

I know probably lots of you get excited by figuring this stuff out but mostly it just makes me feel tired. I just want someone to tell me what gear to get and where to put my points so I can make stuff go boom. I appreciate that folks mentioned the awesomeness of bone spear this season because it’s been good for that.

EDIT: Just realized I’ve now been registered here for 20 years. Crazy! Thanks y’all for still being here and being cool. I’m sure I wouldn’t still be playing D4 and pondering killing Uber Lilith without you!

Fistful of Silence fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Sep 5, 2023

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?

That’s good to know. Maybe I’ll try for max essence instead going forward. But the skills and paragon boards in the Maxroll build are set up for vulnerable damage and I’m not sure I’m feeling up to rejiggering those.

I know probably lots of you get excited by figuring this stuff out but mostly it just makes me feel tired. I just want someone to tell me what gear to get and where to put my points so I can make stuff go boom. I appreciate that folks mentioned the awesomeness of bone spear this season because it’s been good for that.

EDIT: Just realized I’ve now been registered here for 20 years. Crazy! Thanks y’all for still being here and being cool. I’m sure I wouldn’t still be playing D4 and pondering killing Uber Lilith without you!

fwiw i followed the outline that rob2628 used here:
https://d4builds.gg/builds/87fa072a-50b1-4232-aed9-d28848d8cc5f/

for some reason he has like 6 or 8 variations on bonespear if you click the ‘view all builds by this guy’ link. included among them are builds specifically for uber. i don’t remember if i changed much tbh, or anything at all, because damage isn’t ever really the issue with bonespear, it’s resource gen and making sure the rebound can hit the mobs. you can certainly spend an eternity rejiggering for specifically alillith build but i did bare minimum of that vs. just using what i already had for my leveling build

oh yeah for reference i have something like 230 essence or something. the spears cast from the top half of the mana pool hit like even bigger trucks than normal

Fistful of Silence
Aug 22, 2003

Grimey Drawer

harrygomm posted:

fwiw i followed the outline that rob2628 used here:
https://d4builds.gg/builds/87fa072a-50b1-4232-aed9-d28848d8cc5f/

for some reason he has like 6 or 8 variations on bonespear if you click the ‘view all builds by this guy’ link. included among them are builds specifically for uber. i don’t remember if i changed much tbh, or anything at all, because damage isn’t ever really the issue with bonespear, it’s resource gen and making sure the rebound can hit the mobs. you can certainly spend an eternity rejiggering for specifically alillith build but i did bare minimum of that vs. just using what i already had for my leveling build

oh yeah for reference i have something like 230 essence or something. the spears cast from the top half of the mana pool hit like even bigger trucks than normal
Thanks for the info. That build looks a lot like Maxroll’s but with max essence on the rings, so maybe it’s not too rough to respec. The skill tree and paragon boards are not too different either so that makes sense.

Also, wow, ixo DM’d me and just gave me an amazing ring and amulet way better than any I’ve ever seen and a huge pile of gold to boot. Goons really are the most generous people in games. Thank you so much! It really made my day today ❤️

EDIT: It’s especially nice because all my friends I was playing with gave up on Diablo IV already and so I was just kinda chugging along my own and feeling a little lonely in the game. I kept playing because the mindlessness of D4 helped take my mind off a recent horrible job search, so the kindness really helps me feel better from that too.

Fistful of Silence fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Sep 5, 2023

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

these are going to be smaller, Everquest-style expansions right? One new zone and major system changes, maybe a class every other expansion?

https://twitter.com/Wowhead/status/1699134452159635471

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

CBD Corndog posted:

these are going to be smaller, Everquest-style expansions right? One new zone and major system changes, maybe a class every other expansion?

excited to spend more money on diablo 4

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
For $70 it better have at least TWO new zones, ultra system changes, and an average of 1.5 new classes each expansion

ixo
Sep 8, 2004

m'bloaty

Fun Shoe

Thanks for the info. That build looks a lot like Maxroll’s but with max essence on the rings, so maybe it’s not too rough to respec. The skill tree and paragon boards are not too different either so that makes sense.

Also, wow, ixo DM’d me and just gave me an amazing ring and amulet way better than any I’ve ever seen and a huge pile of gold to boot. Goons really are the most generous people in games. Thank you so much! It really made my day today ❤️

EDIT: It’s especially nice because all my friends I was playing with gave up on Diablo IV already and so I was just kinda chugging along my own and feeling a little lonely in the game. I kept playing because the mindlessness of D4 helped take my mind off a recent horrible job search, so the kindness really helps me feel better from that too.

:hellyeah:

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

CBD Corndog posted:

Lol this game never going to become good lads

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

I am sure honorable and noble Blizzard will reduce the prices of the expacs accordingly. :angel:

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I will use my ashes to reduce the cost of each expansion by 2%

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
On the one hand, I think Destiny 2's monetization sucks rear end and an annual churn of small expansions sold at a premium sounds like a terrible way to support the game.

On the other hand, this is not the first time Blizzard has declared their intent to release yearly expansions, which they failed completely to do with WoW, and I think they are going to get cyberbullied to hell about it if they try to further monetize the game before people are actually satisfied with the state of the base product.

Zeg
Mar 31, 2013

Am not good at video games.

:allears:

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Ehud posted:

It's what you would have wanted

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
All Diablo games have annual expansions. They just stop making them after the first one.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I'd do a, like, 20, 25 dollar expansion. If they want full price for a new game every year I'll load up on corn-on-the-cob and they can eat the kernels from my rear end.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

bird food bathtub posted:

I'd do a, like, 20, 25 dollar expansion. If they want full price for a new game every year I'll load up on corn-on-the-cob and they can eat the kernels from my rear end.

Blizz expacs are generally $34.99 or $39.99. Much less than full price, but definitely not $20.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

It's taking them four months to give a stash tab what kind of xpac is it going to be

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

It took 23 years for Diablo 2 to get a shared stash tab. We're in light speed comparatively.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Ehud posted:

Additive or multiplicative?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

flashman posted:

It's taking them four months to give a stash tab what kind of xpac is it going to be

new costumes await you, traveler, in our shop of wonders

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Sep 6, 2023

kaxman
Jan 15, 2003
Annual expansions seems like a stupid loving idea

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

flashman posted:

Two more stash tabs.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

The gem thing too, which in retrospect is such a small annoyance but one that was amplified as everyone got through the campaign and poo poo. I simply did not pick up any gems until wt4 in season 1 once I knew how little purpose they served

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I still don't understand what the gently caress people are doing with gems to warrant hanging on to more than 5 or 6 different ones at a time.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

kaxman posted:

Annual expansions seems like a stupid loving idea

each expansion is another multiplicative bucket

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Tiny Timbs posted:

I still don't understand what the gently caress people are doing with gems to warrant hanging on to more than 5 or 6 different ones at a time.

We’re trapped with FOMO over the cube in expansion 3.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

11.5% more damage per expansion.

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

11.5% more damage per expansion.

$10 to roll a higher* amount.

*chance to roll higher or lower. Double the cost each roll.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Annual expansions sounds like it'll send dev burnout into overdrive. D4 itself released undercooked, missing QoL features and innovation from the entire rest of the genre and even its own prequels, had to sack an entire act/region in the campaign and asked for nearly half a year to to play catch up by season 2.

Are they gonna be so on the ball that they can make an expac of content(whatever justifies $30-$70 depending on how big it is and how bold they are) while producing 4 seasons a year? Did they implement parallel production teams with the big infusion of release cash?

Everything we've ever heard from the industry suggests that even if they can hit the proposed pace that it'll dilute the quality of the supported game and what gets an expac release. If every season is season 1 but a few new bosses and they change the color of the effects then I guess that'd cut the workload down.

I dunno, it just seems like some monkey paw stuff might happen. Everybody says D4 has good bones and can be made truly excellent in time. What if they just never do that? :haw:

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Sep 6, 2023