Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Buck Wildman)

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Ben Nerevarine posted:

Starfield exactly as it is but with E:D's travel and docking sounds incredible to me but I'm sick like that and I think most people wouldn't tolerate the pace of it for more than a few minutes

People would love the travel and you just do what ED does and let you autopilot if docking is too hard or annoying. They're important parts to that feeling of being an explorer in space and sadly missing from a game by a developer who is normally great at that sense of wonder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Best Friends posted:

I have always been intrigued by elite dangerous but can’t figure out what the real gameplay experience even is. Is it an mmo? cause I did Eve for years and I’m not doing that again - I am not getting on coms with random gamers any more. but exploring in space seems great and is part of what I liked about Eve.

i like elite dangerous but its made exclusively from all the boring parts people say they wanted from starfield

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

they already made a perfect space trucking game, and its elite dangerous

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Annoying thing in Starfield, the random planets are seeded by cell, not planet. So if you land in a spot and see a mountain or something outside of the current travel range it doesn't really exist. Opening the map and moving to a location that should overlap but it's just a new random seed.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Gumball Gumption posted:

People would love the travel and you just do what ED does and let you autopilot if docking is too hard or annoying. They're important parts to that feeling of being an explorer in space and sadly missing from a game by a developer who is normally great at that sense of wonder.

I'm having a great time in Starfield but its biggest weakness is that the setting does not matter, it just a skin on Fallout, there is nothing spacey in the gameplay other than the incredibly meh ship combat.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

the "over 1000 planets to explore" selling point is like saying "there are over 1000 map chunks to explore" in skyrim

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Al! posted:

the "over 1000 planets to explore" selling point is like saying "there are over 1000 map chunks to explore" in skyrim

Oblivion endless radiant quest AI all over again

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3 posted:

lmao at thinking Disco Elysium raised the bar for world building or narrative

that's right

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

Al! posted:

this is like half of the Highfleet experience except the ships are also hosed up and on fire

early on in development they planned to have the big ships irradiate the map wherever they landed so you couldn’t go back to cities if you parked the Sebastopol there. they should have kept that for a hardcore mode or something

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

manually landing your ship with FA off was by far the most fun thing to do in Elite Dangerous and id kill for a game where youre a space valet and all you do is land increasingly complicated ships in increasingly convoluted scenarios

you should play Highfleet

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
oh Al best me

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

Gumball Gumption posted:

Personally I think Elite on PC or console is an ok game that lacks goals or direction and is never going to get it because the developers are not interested in doing that. It's a janky mess that is fun but unsatisfying. Unless you're playing in VR because then it's the best game ever made because you're flying real spaceships in real space and the gameplay becomes 10x more fun and it's incredibly satisfying to just space truck around.

It is super great but, due to the weird on-the-fly matchmaking the game does to simulate an MMO-like environment, it has grinding. And some of the grinding involves doing hosed up things like going to a place, doing a thing, quitting the game, reloading the game to respawn the thing, etc.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

It is super great but, due to the weird on-the-fly matchmaking the game does to simulate an MMO-like environment, it has grinding. And some of the grinding involves doing hosed up things like going to a place, doing a thing, quitting the game, reloading the game to respawn the thing, etc.

Oh yeah, playing optimally can be weird because it is janky and just weird. I never fully understood the connected sandbox mechanics

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
Highfleet is one of the best games I’ve ever played thst I’m just too loving bad at to enjoy playing

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Xaris posted:

Highfleet is one of the best games I’ve ever played thst I’m just too loving bad at to enjoy playing

i didnt even realize the actual strategy youre supposed to do until way later (hide your capital ship out in the desert and do strikes on nearby towns until the fuzz catches wind, repeat)

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Al! posted:

i didnt even realize the actual strategy youre supposed to do until way later (hide your capital ship out in the desert and do strikes on nearby towns until the fuzz catches wind, repeat)

taliban ftw

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

Gumball Gumption posted:

Oh yeah, playing optimally can be weird because it is janky and just weird. I never fully understood the connected sandbox mechanics

tooling around in a rover in VR on a low-G planet to get materials... i cant take this...

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Al! posted:

my experience with fallout 4 taught me that the game is simply going to let you craft better guns then youll ever find

Until the final DLC drops.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

tooling around in a rover in VR on a low-G planet to get materials... i cant take this...

i did this enough that i got used to it. it ruled

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

what’s up with the galaxy map in starfield? why are only some star systems labeled by default?

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

like…. maybe there are a thousand systems but only like 2 dozen show their name and the rest are just dots

Also, am I crazy, but is there no way to look up where things are? like I have to remember where the stroud-eklund space station is if I ever want to go back to buy a ship?

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

lmfao to become a better Pilot in starfield u gotta do a challenge. what is it? DESTROY 5 SHIPS!

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

wolfs posted:

like…. maybe there are a thousand systems but only like 2 dozen show their name and the rest are just dots

Also, am I crazy, but is there no way to look up where things are? like I have to remember where the stroud-eklund space station is if I ever want to go back to buy a ship?

yeah its exactly like skyrim where you have to remember where on the map is that one spot with all the nirnroot or whatever. no way to tag your own notes

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

modders please add an option to bookmark locations in your ship navigation computer or whatever tyvm

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Gumball Gumption posted:

It's kind of a hard question to answer but it's not really an MMO. You can either play in total solo mode or in a sandbox mode that's influenced by other players and you can run into them but you're not interacting though for it to be an MMO.

am I ever going to have some ultra goon screaming the n word on coms? or put another way, are there guilds?

Malleum
Aug 16, 2014

Am I the one at fault? What about me is wrong?
Buglord
you can only hear voice comms of other players if you agree to team up and join a flight, otherwise the only interaction you have with them is in a textbox at the top left of your screen that you have to tab into. there is no in game support for guilds but people do group up in forums

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Al! posted:

yeah its exactly like skyrim where you have to remember where on the map is that one spot with all the nirnroot or whatever. no way to tag your own notes

Just give me an ingame journal ahhh

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Best Friends posted:

am I ever going to have some ultra goon screaming the n word on coms? or put another way, are there guilds?

there are. join the diamond frogs

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

oh speaking of highfleet, starfield kind of stole its persuasion mechanic, its kind of nuts

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Communist Thoughts posted:

Considering NG+++ing AC6

it's very hosed up that you're locked out of side content unless you're at a specific point in one of the story routes

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

I wish it were a perk or something you could skill into that would auto-inject or take some of the various future drugs that make you better at fighting in starfield. I get you can manually favorite them and then quick menu but it would be really fun if, upon whacking a guy with a boarding cutlass, I automatically consume the melee drug

the most menacing and dynamic thing I’ve done in starfield is sprint and jump into the landing bay of a random npc ship as is was landing and kill everyone inside with a survival axe. it made me think of legend of the galactic heroes. I wished the game had horrific dismemberment or something

I was disappointed I couldn’t climb up the ladder and then claim the ship. it was funny that upon hopping out the ship then proceeded to fly off into space.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

wolfs posted:

I wish it were a perk or something you could skill into that would auto-inject or take some of the various future drugs that make you better at fighting in starfield. I get you can manually favorite them and then quick menu but it would be really fun if, upon whacking a guy with a boarding cutlass, I automatically consume the melee drug

the most menacing and dynamic thing I’ve done in starfield is sprint and jump into the landing bay of a random npc ship as is was landing and kill everyone inside with a survival axe. it made me think of legend of the galactic heroes. I wished the game had horrific dismemberment or something

I was disappointed I couldn’t climb up the ladder and then claim the ship. it was funny that upon hopping out the ship then proceeded to fly off into space.

I believe there's a suit mod that does the autoinject thing. Or maybe a mutation on loot?

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Xaris posted:

post your stupidest goatse battleship design

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

wolfs posted:

theres something like this for health kits, as an affix to armor

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

silentsnack posted:

post your stupidest goatse battleship design

lmao the ring

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

debating if i want to buy bg3. i could maybe play co-op w/the wife

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

triple sulk posted:

split screen coop was internally called couples mode

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

I found a copy of starfield which fell of the back of a truck and it's totally fine and it looks and runs great at 4k on a 3070

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

what the hell! I was led to believe this was a total epic fail!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

triple sulk posted:

do it