Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What do you think of the new international distribution deal?
This poll is closed.
Hate it 12 16.90%
REALLY hate it 16 22.54%
Hello, my name is Bob Chapek 43 60.56%
Total: 71 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts
Not that it's surprising to anybody, but Ncuti Gatwa came out as queer.

https://www.thepinknews.com/2023/09/01/ncuti-gatwa-comes-out-as-queer-manchester-pride/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Edward Mass posted:

Still, I wouldn’t use City of Death as an example of average Doctor Who viewership in the ‘70s. That’s like saying the average production of a Doctor Who serial in the ‘70s is exemplified by Shada.

Well it's a good thing I wasn't doing that, then :v: I used it as an example not of average viewership, but as an example of what factors one should take into consideration when comparing big ratings numbers of yesteryear with the ratings a show might get nowadays.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

armpit_enjoyer posted:

https://www.thepinknews.com/2023/09/01/ncuti-gatwa-comes-out-as-queer-manchester-pride/

quote:

One obstacle Gatwa has had to overcome is being seen as a “tick-box” exercise. It was an accusation leveled against him by online trolls after he was announced as the next Time Lord in iconic British sci-fi series Doctor Who.

“First of all, you don’t know anything about me,” he pointed out. “Secondly, tick loving boxes. People need to be loving seen. What are you going to do, tell the same stories? Have the same people fronting things for all of eternity?

“Representation and inclusivity and branching out … enriches us all. How embarrassing. You people with your tiny mind sets. Open a book, look out the window, then gently caress off.”

Gatwa loving rules :hellyeah:

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

armpit_enjoyer posted:

The dude who dresses like Sylvester (and I’m not talking about McCoy) isn’t straight?!?!?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I never really thought more about him deeper than his insatiable hunger for Tweety bird and he definitely didn't wear clothes

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
We're all forgetting that this actor was known for The Deal and State of Play before being cast as the next Doctor.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

CobiWann posted:

We're all forgetting that this actor was known for The Deal and State of Play before being cast as the next Doctor.

He was also the co-star of Basic Instinct 2: Risk Addiction! :quagmire:

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Timby posted:

He was also the co-star of Basic Instinct 2: Risk Addiction! :quagmire:

What the hell is this cast doing in this movie? Like, basically all of them could do better than this.

Edit: Ok, not Stan Collymore

Only registered members can see post attachments!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Yes that’s Stan Collymore, the football player. :psyduck:

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I've never heard of any of them except Stone and Morrissey. And I only know Stone from Basic Instinct 1.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Dabir posted:

I've never heard of any of them except Stone and Morrissey. And I only know Stone from Basic Instinct 1.

Rampling has been in film since the 60s, she's got over 100 films on her IMDB list and she was the reverend mother in the recent Dune adaptation. David Thewlis has a similarly long and storied history, biggest profile thing is probably as Ares in Wonder Woman but I know him best for punching Jim Davidson in the face. Indira Varma was Suzie in Torchwood and was in Rome as well and is in general, really really good. Hugh Dancy was Will Graham in Hannibal.

I probably didn't need to snip the entire cast list but there's a significant bunch of people (including Stone) that deserved better than a cash in sequel released 14 years after the original with none of the original creators aside from Stone involved.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Indira Varma is coming back to Doctor Who as well, but not as Suzie Costello.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Fil5000 posted:

David Thewlis has a similarly long and storied history, biggest profile thing is probably as Ares in Wonder Woman but I know him best for punching Jim Davidson in the face.

Eh, I think his role in the Harry Potter films is probably more well known, and the Potter films have stuck to him more than most actors (see also: Timothy Spall; your parents might know him as Barry from Auf Wiedersehen, Pet, but for most under-35s, he’s Peter Pettigrew.)

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

TinTower posted:

(see also: Timothy Spall; your parents might know him as Barry from Auf Wiedersehen, Pet, but for most under-35s, he’s Peter Pettigrew.)

He'll always be the technician in the Back to Reality episode of Red Dwarf to me.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Oh! He's the Brummie git?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Inspired by my chat with The_Doctor:

How good / incomprehensible is Ghost Light? I think it is very good / very incomprehensible. And I say that as someone who sort of thinks he mostly gets it.

"Java, Java, JAVA. Everyone is always going to JAVA."

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I think I’ve got most of Ghost Light down, it’s just everyone’s talking in their own circles like it’s 3 episodes of the Prisoner overlapping.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
I still do not understand how Lungbarrow became Ghost Light.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Keep the spooky mansion, rip out the Gallifrey, patch it up.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Doctor Spaceman posted:

OldMemes posted:

Keep the spooky mansion, rip out the Gallifrey, patch it up.

Subtract incest, remove killer/suicidal house.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I… don’t remember incest? :stonklol:

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Open Source Idiom posted:

Subtract incest, remove killer/suicidal house.

The_Doctor posted:

Did... did someone gently caress a loom and I missed it?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

The_Doctor posted:

The Doctor and his cousin are implied to have maybe have had a thing in the past, which makes some sense given that Loom era Gallifrey isn't going to have quite the same taboos concerning incest. Members of the same House are going to have decades or centuries of age difference between them, and Gallifreyian cousins don't necessarily have any genetic material in common. The term "cousin" just means that they were created by the same breeding engine and are aligned with the same House. But, on top of that, the Doctor's a cuckoo within House Lungbarrow. His genetic material came from an other source.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
there's really no reason for there to ever be more than one timelord. presumably at some point they will finally reveal that all timelords are just the doctor goin through some poo poo

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

Khanstant posted:

there's really no reason for there to ever be more than one timelord. presumably at some point they will finally reveal that all timelords are just the doctor goin through some poo poo

You shall not have other Time Lords before Ford Time Lord

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Khanstant posted:

I disagree. I think the Time Lords should be there, but just in the background over there if you look closely. We had a period where there were no other Time Lords, and it was interesting, but I thought we were moving on to Tom Baker-level usage. As long as we don't get to the point of Gallifreyian coffee shops, we should be good.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I wasn't arguing they should actually do that, and it's also the same shtick as "every person is the universe or a god experiencing itself" which has maybe one episode of content before you're as bored of it as that entity should be if there's any persistence of memory. Just musing the rules of a time travelling immortal regenerator do technically accommodate the concept.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Boxturret posted:

He'll always be the technician in the Back to Reality episode of Red Dwarf to me.
You twonk.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Lungbarrow being full of incest subtones truly makes it more nu-Who than anything.

(Seriously, I can think of three times there’s been a selfcest joke in the new series. And Moffat’s only responsible for two of them.)

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

Edward Mass posted:

I disagree. I think the Time Lords should be there, but just in the background over there if you look closely. We had a period where there were no other Time Lords, and it was interesting, but I thought we were moving on to Tom Baker-level usage. As long as we don't get to the point of Gallifreyian coffee shops, we should be good.

I maintain that the only time that Time Lords were done correctly was at the very end of the War Games, where they’re exceedingly powerful and clearly terrifying to the Doctor. They aren’t given much exposition, they’re just there, borderline malevolent and clearly beyond anything Jamie or Zoe can comprehend.

The next time we see them is in the Three Doctors, where they’re just regular guys, lazy and incompetent as the rest of the universe.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

armpit_enjoyer posted:

I maintain that the only time that Time Lords were done correctly was at the very end of the War Games, where they’re exceedingly powerful and clearly terrifying to the Doctor. They aren’t given much exposition, they’re just there, borderline malevolent and clearly beyond anything Jamie or Zoe can comprehend.

The next time we see them is in the Three Doctors, where they’re just regular guys, lazy and incompetent as the rest of the universe.

I quite liked them during Pertwee's tenure. You know, that time that one of them just popped into existence wearing a suit and a bowler hat, politely dispensed exposition and then popped out again. It was like something out of the Avengers.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

armpit_enjoyer posted:

I feel like the closest we ever got to this again was in Time of the Doctor where they're not seen, we're just aware they're there, and Clara talks at them through a crack and the result is essentially incomprehensible Gods bestowing a gift to the Doctor to allow him to continue on instead of finally dying. Then they're just gone, no further discussion or elaboration, never seen, never heard, just there and then not.

"THE RULES OF REGENERATION ARE KNOWN!"
"Did you mention rules? Don't talk to me about rules!" :hellyeah:

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

Jerusalem posted:

I feel like the closest we ever got to this again was in Time of the Doctor where they're not seen, we're just aware they're there, and Clara talks at them through a crack and the result is essentially incomprehensible Gods bestowing a gift to the Doctor to allow him to continue on instead of finally dying. Then they're just gone, no further discussion or elaboration, never seen, never heard, just there and then not.

I'd be inclined to agree if we hadn't just seen them in "action" (standing around a table in a dramatic fashion) the episode before. Same with Hell Bent dragging Heaven Sent down a bit.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Jerusalem posted:

Too bad it turned out they didn't have to do that because the Doctor actually has unlimited regenerations :negative:

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
They knew, they were just being dicks again. "Okay, fine, [mashes random keys loudly] he has more regenerations now. Please hold for a customer satisfaction survey"

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

howe_sam posted:

Too bad it turned out they didn't have to do that because the Doctor actually has unlimited regenerations :negative:

As much as I dislike the Timeless Child, they make it clear that when the Doctor was dumped by the Division, they were remade into a standard Time Lord child with a 12 regeneration cycle. It wasn't a mind wipe, so much as a complete amputation. Which raises questions about what the entire point of the retcon was, and why the Doctor was referring to themselves as such and travelling in a police box shaped TARDIS, but hey...

In both the new and old series, The Doctor sees Susan as his biological grandaughter, mentions that he had children and refers to his parents. The new series shows that Time Lords do have a childhood of sorts. If you wanted to (personally I don't see the VNAs as canon anymore, but that's a whole kettle of fish) say that Looms are used by Time Lords as a sort of artical way to combine DNA and create offspring from parents, rather than the old fashioned way, but that's getting into head canon.

There's an interesting line in The Beginning (which had a BBC mandated connection to The Name of the Doctor), where a Time Lord mocks Susan by saying noo-one has grandfathers "anymore" on Gallifrey. Make of that what you will.

The Time Lords are a fun background element, and Chibnall killing them off for cheap shock value was bad.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

OldMemes posted:

In both the new and old series, The Doctor sees Susan as his biological grandaughter, mentions that he had children and refers to his parents. The new series shows that Time Lords do have a childhood of sorts. If you wanted to (personally I don't see the VNAs as canon anymore, but that's a whole kettle of fish) say that Looms are used by Time Lords as a sort of artical way to combine DNA and create offspring from parents, rather than the old fashioned way, but that's getting into head canon.

There's an interesting line in The Beginning (which had a BBC mandated connection to The Name of the Doctor), where a Time Lord mocks Susan by saying noo-one has grandfathers "anymore" on Gallifrey. Make of that what you will.

The NAs don't really contradict anything from the show tbh. Susan is the Doctor's biological child, because the Doctor (or, rather, The Other) predates the Looms. And there's nothing stopping the Doctor from having kids after Lungbarrow either, since the only thing stopping Timelords from giving birth is the curse of Pythia and that's resolved.

It's been funny seeing book lore randomly turn up in BF stories recently -- Patience is (heavily) referenced in Stranded, the Osirians have (stolen?) FP loom technology in The Temple of Sutekh, Eccleston namechecks House Lungbarrow in a 9DA, the recent Sixth Doctor set references Business Unusual, etc.

I'm guessing the spooky house that the 13th Doctor sees at the start of Flux is probably meant to be Lungbarrow too (there's no other explanation as far as I can tell).

Fun fact: pretty sure the idea of TARDISes being grown comes from Lungbarrow as well.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Sep 8, 2023

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

The musical sting for that moment is really great too. As you say, it’s proper ‘THE GODS ARE HERE’ time.

(00:50 here:)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AxCoMbiZfk

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

OldMemes posted:

As much as I dislike the Timeless Child, they make it clear that when the Doctor was dumped by the Division, they were remade into a standard Time Lord child with a 12 regeneration cycle. It wasn't a mind wipe, so much as a complete amputation. Which raises questions about what the entire point of the retcon was, and why the Doctor was referring to themselves as such and travelling in a police box shaped TARDIS, but hey...

Wait, did they? I must have missed that element, but it's possible I was just so bored and frustrated with the whole thing that I've blocked it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I'd say elements of the VNAs could be considered canon (like Bernice Summerfield), but a lot of them don't fit 7 or Ace's later characterisation at all. And if the VNAs share conintity with the EDAs, and they're normally considered non-canon....well, canon in Doctor Who is a 'pick what you like' kinda thing anyway with the expanded universe stuff.

Class3KillStorm posted:

Wait, did they? I must have missed that element, but it's possible I was just so bored and frustrated with the whole thing that I've blocked it out.

The Doctor says she was given a second childhood, and the annual that year confirmed that the Doctor only had a standard Time Lord body with a normal regeneration cycle, so they did need that boost from the Time Lords. The Doctor is effectively a entirely seperate creature made from the Timeless Child. The entire retcon is pointless.

Killing the Time Lords offscreen underminds Moffat's stuff far more.