Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Feels Villeneuve posted:

it's cat time mother fuckers

Imagine thinking cats are cooler than galactic dragons. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
Yu-Gi-Oh: A chubby cat destroying a galaxy size dragon

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Decided on a whim to try playing this game again and yup I still completely loathe everything about how the modern game plays

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

drrockso20 posted:

Decided on a whim to try playing this game again and yup I still completely loathe everything about how the modern game plays

Play a Skill Drain floodgate deck, drag everyone back to 2007 with you.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

drrockso20 posted:

ok

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

drrockso20 posted:

That's not a very helpful criticism. Can you make a post that actually tells us what you dislike about the modern game so we can make suggestions about alternate games and/or formats?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

See my previous posts in this thread for my general thoughts on the matter, having a hard time right now articulating my thoughts without sounding like a bitter rear end in a top hat 20 years older than I actually am

Also every time I bring up my problems with the game they always suggest just playing Duel Links or side/fan formats like GOAT or Speed Duels, with the former I am just plain done dealing with Gacha mechanics in games for the most part(same reason I dropped Master Duel) and with the latter the problem is no one actually loving plays anything beyond the current meta, at least on any of the automated simulators(I refuse to play manual simulators since that completely ruins the point of using a simulator instead of playing in RL)

And lastly regarding playing any other card game well Magic has been an unplayable mess for ages(not to mention the art direction has been bland and generic for almost as long) and pretty much every other one I can think of is either a Gacha riddled mess or is either a game no one plays or doesn't have a good automated simulator, Yugioh is basically the only game in town for me unfortunately

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

Wanting to play TCGs and hating gacha distribution is kind of a difficult space to exist in, since that's the whole model. Is playing something (maybe not Yu-Gi-Oh) in person an option for you? Then you would be able to just buy cards you want on the secondary market. That said, people choosing to play the decks that are currently strong is always going to be a thing in every game, people like having a chance to win and new cards are exciting.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

1st Stage Midboss posted:

Wanting to play TCGs and hating gacha distribution is kind of a difficult space to exist in, since that's the whole model. Is playing something (maybe not Yu-Gi-Oh) in person an option for you? Then you would be able to just buy cards you want on the secondary market. That said, people choosing to play the decks that are currently strong is always going to be a thing in every game, people like having a chance to win and new cards are exciting.

I'm fine with it when it's real cards(even if I do think the "economy" surrounding these games can be kind of idiotic) I just don't have the stomach to really deal with it digitally anymore, playing in person isn't really an option since I can't drive and there probably isn't any places to play that are within walking or bike distance of me and I don't really see what few RL friends I have enough for that to be an option either even if I could convince them to play

Really my big issue is that the most effective and popular way to play this game these days is to just waste your opponent's time and not allow them to do anything and it's just such a selfish act of sociopathic egocentric intellectual masturbation that it drives me up the wall, like if I actually played a real life match against someone using that kind of deck I probably would be screaming at them by the end of the match

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Unfortunately that has always been the most popular and successful way to play the game. If you can stop your opponent playing you have won, it's just the amount of actions has increased.

There's a reason dragon rulers was the best deck, and Mystic Mine was a terror for a long time. The answer, unfortunately, is having interaction to stop your opponent getting to play solitaire, hand-traps or board breakers in enough measure with the right knowledge to succeed.

If you're not using Master Duel but playing online via a simulator unfortunately you're gonna run into a lot of people playing whatever is strongest. Master Duel helps avoid this because ranked play exists.

Edit: I play non-meta decks pretty constantly, and I very rarely run into games I don't get to play in Master Duel, whilst not ever opening cards because I already have the deck. But it helps that I play Magical Musket and Suship and Generaider Boss. Semi-Rogue Decks with powerful gameplans from the last ten years.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Sep 6, 2023

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I think it's interesting that the decks I hate the most are the ones that I see as wasting the opponent's time by being an overly involved combo that they can't easily stop, like Branded or Floo... but the decks I like the most are ones that I see as wasting the opponent's time by choking out their combo, like Runick or Labrynth. The nature of Yu-Gi-Oh these days (and probably for a lot longer than some care to admit) has an inherent disrespect to the opponent, a major part of your game plan will always be some flavor of making sure they don't get to do their thing and have their flavor of fun, and if that's not something you can get on board with then there's just not something there for you, but there are a lot of varied ways the game provides to do that. If you can have fun in an environment where both players are trying to aggressively stop the other from having fun, there's a lot of flavors of that.

I think I personally like the more reactive control strategies because there is an element of analysis and strategy at play. A well-deployed Labrynth board can stop drat near any deck in its tracks, but to do that, the Labrynth player basically has to be Adam West Batman and know exactly what their weird utility belt has that can help in exactly this situation, and how to slip those tricks past them, which is something they just won't know until they're in the thick of their opponent's turn.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

drrockso20 posted:

See my previous posts in this thread for my general thoughts on the matter, having a hard time right now articulating my thoughts without sounding like a bitter rear end in a top hat 20 years older than I actually am

Also every time I bring up my problems with the game they always suggest just playing Duel Links or side/fan formats like GOAT or Speed Duels, with the former I am just plain done dealing with Gacha mechanics in games for the most part(same reason I dropped Master Duel) and with the latter the problem is no one actually loving plays anything beyond the current meta, at least on any of the automated simulators(I refuse to play manual simulators since that completely ruins the point of using a simulator instead of playing in RL)

And lastly regarding playing any other card game well Magic has been an unplayable mess for ages(not to mention the art direction has been bland and generic for almost as long) and pretty much every other one I can think of is either a Gacha riddled mess or is either a game no one plays or doesn't have a good automated simulator, Yugioh is basically the only game in town for me unfortunately

I love Digimon and would usually recommend it in a heartbeat, but to your point it doesn't have an automated simulator (there's a fan-made TTS mod that works as a manual sim, but you don't seem to want that, so fair enough) and even if it's cheap, there might not be a local scene in your area (I would be surprised if One Piece doesn't have a scene in your area, it might be worth looking into that.) It's the best time it's ever been to play a game outside the big three, but you do have to make concessions or luck out with a local scene. I guess DB Super has an automated simulator coming in the near future that looks cool, but I have no idea how many players that's going to have.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Cleretic posted:

I think it's interesting that the decks I hate the most are the ones that I see as wasting the opponent's time by being an overly involved combo that they can't easily stop, like Branded or Floo... but the decks I like the most are ones that I see as wasting the opponent's time by choking out their combo, like Runick or Labrynth. The nature of Yu-Gi-Oh these days (and probably for a lot longer than some care to admit) has an inherent disrespect to the opponent, a major part of your game plan will always be some flavor of making sure they don't get to do their thing and have their flavor of fun, and if that's not something you can get on board with then there's just not something there for you, but there are a lot of varied ways the game provides to do that. If you can have fun in an environment where both players are trying to aggressively stop the other from having fun, there's a lot of flavors of that.

I think I personally like the more reactive control strategies because there is an element of analysis and strategy at play. A well-deployed Labrynth board can stop drat near any deck in its tracks, but to do that, the Labrynth player basically has to be Adam West Batman and know exactly what their weird utility belt has that can help in exactly this situation, and how to slip those tricks past them, which is something they just won't know until they're in the thick of their opponent's turn.

That lies one of the reasons this sort of thing infuriates me so much, I'm turning 33 in a couple weeks I don't have the patience or mental energy needed to learn how to either play that kind of deck or how to counter it, doesn't help that I find those kind of decks just the most boring thing imaginable since they all play exactly the same since they all orient around the "waste your opponent's time and don't let them do anything" and "pull off a 47 step combo to use up half your deck and get out 1 to 5 unstoppable boss monsters" and what differences supposedly exist between them are so minor that I can't even remember what any of them are

King of Solomon posted:

I love Digimon and would usually recommend it in a heartbeat, but to your point it doesn't have an automated simulator (there's a fan-made TTS mod that works as a manual sim, but you don't seem to want that, so fair enough) and even if it's cheap, there might not be a local scene in your area (I would be surprised if One Piece doesn't have a scene in your area, it might be worth looking into that.) It's the best time it's ever been to play a game outside the big three, but you do have to make concessions or luck out with a local scene. I guess DB Super has an automated simulator coming in the near future that looks cool, but I have no idea how many players that's going to have.

I actually have a sizable amount of cards for Digimon but Digimon might just be the worst TCG I've ever seen when it comes to being able to build a usable deck out of packs due to how that game is structured, so for me that game is purely for collecting them as art(not to mention I doubt there's much if anything of a local scene for the game even if I had somewhere to play)

As for One Piece or Dragon Ball, eh I've always found that style of TCG to just be incredibly lame

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

drrockso20 posted:

That lies one of the reasons this sort of thing infuriates me so much, I'm turning 33 in a couple weeks I don't have the patience or mental energy needed to learn how to either play that kind of deck or how to counter it, doesn't help that I find those kind of decks just the most boring thing imaginable since they all play exactly the same since they all orient around the "waste your opponent's time and don't let them do anything" and "pull off a 47 step combo to use up half your deck and get out 1 to 5 unstoppable boss monsters" and what differences supposedly exist between them are so minor that I can't even remember what any of them are

I guess I just gotta ask what style of play do you actually want to play? Because if you're being this uncharitable with description this is just kind of every deck in both magic and yugioh (and what limited play I've gotten with digimon).

"Waste your opponents time and don't let them play" well that's just W/U/R's main gimmicks (Via life gain and protections/negations/just out tempo-ing your opponent as hard as possible) and long ornate combo involving GY shenanigans or mass resource cheating/gain to slap a big or reoccurring boy down is just G/B's shitck. I mean, out resourcing your opponent in longer games is just doing your best to let them do as little as possible

drrockso20 posted:

I actually have a sizable amount of cards for Digimon but Digimon might just be the worst TCG I've ever seen when it comes to being able to build a usable deck out of packs due to how that game is structured, so for me that game is purely for collecting them as art(not to mention I doubt there's much if anything of a local scene for the game even if I had somewhere to play)

The starter decks, especially the Beelz one for the digimon TCG are legit fantastic and outside of Tourny only special promo-arts I think it's the single cheapest card game to buy singles for outside of Pokemon. You know, that way to avoid the entire gacha annoyance you have? IF you hate that aspect of it why would you be trying to build entirely out of random packs?

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Sep 6, 2023

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

drrockso20 posted:

As for One Piece or Dragon Ball, eh I've always found that style of TCG to just be incredibly lame

One of the strongest decks right now (Hunters) is almost exclusively composed of cards that are rare and below, and getting the few supers you need to finish it is not difficult. I don't play MTG and mostly just follow Yugioh from a distance, but Digimon is super easy to build decks from random packs, especially if you're willing to trade or spend the pennies necessary to buy the high rarity cards you do need for any given deck, plus there are the starter decks ZMB mentioned. The real issue is it has no simulator and it might be challenging to find a scene, deckbuilding is super easy in the game.

Hizke
Feb 14, 2010
Honestly I get it. I love the current game because of all its bullshit, even tear zero crap. I really get it tho lol

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

I genuinely think that with as many decks able to interact in ways that aren't just normal negation on both turns the game is probably the most fun it's been outside of the very rare Kashlock.

Even playing poo poo like Sunavalon Rikka or Sunavalaon Generaider I've been able to tag out guys from deck to redirect or cancel targetting then set back up on their turn so I can go again on mine even against the strongest decks in the format. In paper I've been rocking R-Ace because of how interaction heavy it is that isn't just "Set up 4 negates and pray they don't have the gas".

Hizke
Feb 14, 2010

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

I genuinely think that with as many decks able to interact in ways that aren't just normal negation on both turns the game is probably the most fun it's been outside of the very rare Kashlock.

Even playing poo poo like Sunavalon Rikka or Sunavalaon Generaider I've been able to tag out guys from deck to redirect or cancel targetting then set back up on their turn so I can go again on mine even against the strongest decks in the format. In paper I've been rocking R-Ace because of how interaction heavy it is that isn't just "Set up 4 negates and pray they don't have the gas".

Rescue ace kicks rear end. I’ve been playing mikanko and it’s very fun, but I lost hard to a branded despia guy last week. Branded is still such a good deck.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

yeah the only decks that are played that do that nowadays are synchro piles, swordsoul and d-link.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I hear there's a thriving Edison scene.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
If you don't like the current format, and you don't like the alternate formats, you aren't willing to LEARN to play them, and other card games aren't an option for you.... I'm legitimately unsure what IS for you. Netrunner is hella cool, not gacha, and has a (largely) automated sim, maybe try that?
https://www.jinteki.net/

Syenite fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Sep 6, 2023

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Kashtira aside I think most of the current decks are fun to play against

Hizke
Feb 14, 2010

Feels Villeneuve posted:

this.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Maybe it's because I'm not very high up in rank, but I mostly haven't even been seeing Kashtira beyond just a few Fenrirs sprinkled in as a beefed-up Pankratops. If I didn't know otherwise and was judging on what I face, I'd be guessing that the big current threat was Rikka.

(And I would not be surprised to hear it, because gently caress, Rikka's a terror when it gets going and is surprisingly hard to stop from reaching that point.)

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
honestly don't see that many pure omninegate-spam boards these days, unless you think swordsoul is excessively oppressive or something. sometimes if you open zero interactions they can set something up on you, but "you bricked and your opponent opened the nuts" can happen in any matchup.

i think a lot of people still have dryton herald turbo ptsd lol.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:

Feels Villeneuve posted:

It's the first thing new player faced when MD started.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Rikka is great/a nightmare because it's lines aren't all linear and it's got multiple break points so say you ash Dai you've maybe listed the end board a bit but they're still gonna make plays.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Cleretic posted:

Maybe it's because I'm not very high up in rank, but I mostly haven't even been seeing Kashtira beyond just a few Fenrirs sprinkled in as a beefed-up Pankratops. If I didn't know otherwise and was judging on what I face, I'd be guessing that the big current threat was Rikka.

(And I would not be surprised to hear it, because gently caress, Rikka's a terror when it gets going and is surprisingly hard to stop from reaching that point.)

Kash is still missing the second wave of support, which is what lets it 10 zone lock an opponent's board going first.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Syenite posted:

If you don't like the current format, and you don't like the alternate formats, you aren't willing to LEARN to play them, and other card games aren't an option for you.... I'm legitimately unsure what IS for you.
:hmmyes:

More to the point, I'm not sure what kind of response you were hoping to get. Because yes, this is the "bitching about YGO" thread, but it's the "YGO players bitching about YGO" thread. If you just want other people to commiserate with about how much the game has changed, there are better places on the internet for that.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Feels Villeneuve posted:

honestly don't see that many pure omninegate-spam boards these days, unless you think swordsoul is excessively oppressive or something. sometimes if you open zero interactions they can set something up on you, but "you bricked and your opponent opened the nuts" can happen in any matchup.

I'm starting to realize that Swordsoul hurts as bad as it does because it's pretty much perfectly set up to be the line separating something that can be meta-competitive from the stuff that just can't keep pace.

Swordsoul's not a perfect resilience machine that can still put a board together no matter what, but it can play through some incidental interruptions. And its eventual board doesn't have a lot of negates, but it has enough negates to gently caress up someone without a plan for that. As a result it's gonna be the absolute menace to someone who comes in wanting to play their favorite anime deck or who wants to do silly gimmicky poo poo, while also itself not really being capable of reliably putting down something like Branded.

I once heard Ganondorf's role in competitive Melee as 'the bouncer'; the guy just outside of the competitively viable character tiers, who checks everyone below that point by being too much for them to handle. I think that's where Swordsoul is.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
also you can load up your anime deck with a standard MD staple package and do well enough to have fun, unless the deck is total trash that last got support in 2009 or something. you'll probably top out in plat 1 or something but plat is where you see the most rogue/"fun" decks anyway

or you can go joker mode and play your "fun" deck as floodgate turbo like DM players do

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Cleretic posted:

I once heard Ganondorf's role in competitive Melee as 'the bouncer'; the guy just outside of the competitively viable character tiers, who checks everyone below that point by being too much for them to handle. I think that's where Swordsoul is.
That tracks. It's where Eldlich was in MD about this time last year, right?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

I guess I just gotta ask what style of play do you actually want to play? Because if you're being this uncharitable with description this is just kind of every deck in both magic and yugioh (and what limited play I've gotten with digimon).

"Waste your opponents time and don't let them play" well that's just W/U/R's main gimmicks (Via life gain and protections/negations/just out tempo-ing your opponent as hard as possible) and long ornate combo involving GY shenanigans or mass resource cheating/gain to slap a big or reoccurring boy down is just G/B's shitck. I mean, out resourcing your opponent in longer games is just doing your best to let them do as little as possible

The starter decks, especially the Beelz one for the digimon TCG are legit fantastic and outside of Tourny only special promo-arts I think it's the single cheapest card game to buy singles for outside of Pokemon. You know, that way to avoid the entire gacha annoyance you have? IF you hate that aspect of it why would you be trying to build entirely out of random packs?

The best way to describe my preferred play style would probably be "Beaststicks with a Gimmick", decks like Ancient Gears or Dinomists, though ultimately my philosophy regarding this game is "would this deck be fun to see used in one of the animes?" and when it comes to many of the "meta" decks that the game has seen since I made my first return to the game back in 2017 the answer to that is a resounding No

Also regarding buying packs, it's when it's digital that I hate it, I tolerate it ok with physical

King of Solomon posted:

One of the strongest decks right now (Hunters) is almost exclusively composed of cards that are rare and below, and getting the few supers you need to finish it is not difficult. I don't play MTG and mostly just follow Yugioh from a distance, but Digimon is super easy to build decks from random packs, especially if you're willing to trade or spend the pennies necessary to buy the high rarity cards you do need for any given deck, plus there are the starter decks ZMB mentioned. The real issue is it has no simulator and it might be challenging to find a scene, deckbuilding is super easy in the game.

I do have starter decks, in fact I have a lot of them

Hizke posted:

Honestly I get it. I love the current game because of all its bullshit, even tear zero crap. I really get it tho lol

See that mentality I just can't understand, like it is incomprehensible to me how anyone can enjoy this sort of play unless they're a sociopath

Dabir posted:

I hear there's a thriving Edison scene.

I've never been able to locate anything of that nature for any of the retro formats, at least on any of the automated simulator communities

Syenite posted:

If you don't like the current format, and you don't like the alternate formats, you aren't willing to LEARN to play them, and other card games aren't an option for you.... I'm legitimately unsure what IS for you. Netrunner is hella cool, not gacha, and has a (largely) automated sim, maybe try that?
https://www.jinteki.net/

Not really interested in that game either

girl dick energy posted:

:hmmyes:

More to the point, I'm not sure what kind of response you were hoping to get. Because yes, this is the "bitching about YGO" thread, but it's the "YGO players bitching about YGO" thread. If you just want other people to commiserate with about how much the game has changed, there are better places on the internet for that.

The problem is I do want to play but the way the game is these days is literally preventing me from playing

Feels Villeneuve posted:

also you can load up your anime deck with a standard MD staple package and do well enough to have fun, unless the deck is total trash that last got support in 2009 or something. you'll probably top out in plat 1 or something but plat is where you see the most rogue/"fun" decks anyway

or you can go joker mode and play your "fun" deck as floodgate turbo like DM players do

Was trying to avoid going back to Master Duel since while it's not as bad with the Gacha stuff as Duel Links, it's still pretty bad in that regard

Hizke
Feb 14, 2010
Old yugioh is boring as gently caress, bro, i dunno what to tell you.

Hizke
Feb 14, 2010
'old yugioh' as people remember it doesn't exist. what old yugioh was, if master duel or a sim existed back then, you'd be playing against nothing but the best deck that existed at that time, which was chaos emperor dragon/black luster soldier. Old yugioh was awful in a worse way than modern yugioh ever could hope to be lol

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

drrockso20 posted:

The best way to describe my preferred play style would probably be "Beaststicks with a Gimmick", decks like Ancient Gears or Dinomists, though ultimately my philosophy regarding this game is "would this deck be fun to see used in one of the animes?" and when it comes to many of the "meta" decks that the game has seen since I made my first return to the game back in 2017 the answer to that is a resounding No

I mean that wasn't really what the game was even in the DM era. Invasion of Chaos was in march 2004 when DM was still airing. Outside of playground yugioh where the players barely knew the rules the original anime and GX never really mirrored actual play even as it was when they aired.

Nobody in the anime was doing Pacman or Royal tribute turbo or Panda Burn.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

drrockso20 posted:

Infinitrack/rank ten trains. Thank you

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

drrockso20 posted:

See that mentality I just can't understand, like it is incomprehensible to me how anyone can enjoy this sort of play unless they're a sociopath

OP usually it's best to proceed discussing card games with the assumption that people who enjoy competitive games aren't sociopaths.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

drrockso20 posted:

But also, yeah this sucks rear end man, don't post like this.

Also it's fun to interact with my opponent in weird ways to try use my strategies and gimmicks against my opponent's so decks that both play on both turns are cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hizke
Feb 14, 2010
No, it's fine. he's right. I'm a sociopath.