Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is YISUN?
Mother
A lie we tell ourselves to have a purpose
Bliss
A paradox with no solution
Father
A strong female protagonist
The weakest thing there is and the smallest crawling thing
Creator
Everything in this miserable and hellish existence
A solution with no paradoxes
View Results

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Joe Slowboat posted:

Ah, thanks.

Also I suspect worlds ruled by a bank with the sole purpose of erecting a wall of gold between the dragon and the other gods… are not happy.

I mean a person living on one of Mammon's open worlds is just like working for Walmart on a galactic scale. All wealth flows out and up to a literal magical dragon's vault.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
And here's my take on incubus Maya and meti: I don't think meti gave a poo poo. I think she was looking for someone to poison with sword law and kill her. I think the blade had so thoroughly worked itself into her soul that she couldn't even kill herself since she was already dead.

She taught both Maya and incubus because she could probably have turned literally anyone into a disciple of the sword given sufficient motivation, and it just so happened that they were each other's motivation. Incubus because he saw someone throwing away a golden opportunity for the sake of their hair and Maya because gently caress if a street rat will get the better of her.

Meti hated and mocked everything about the world and could see no way to escape it. She died the way she lived, pointing out the fragile and imaginary shell that everyone builds on. It could've been Maya who killed her if the question pissed her off enough, but it was Incubus because of the way she'd trained him.

She didn't care, and both of her students are convinced they're right and thus failed to learn her true lesson. We just like Maya more because her current delusion has her on the side we cheer for.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

That's because swords are cool

<Zaid perks up>

My bad, almost all swords are cool

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Benagain posted:

And here's my take on incubus Maya and meti: I don't think meti gave a poo poo. I think she was looking for someone to poison with sword law and kill her. I think the blade had so thoroughly worked itself into her soul that she couldn't even kill herself since she was already dead.

She taught both Maya and incubus because she could probably have turned literally anyone into a disciple of the sword given sufficient motivation, and it just so happened that they were each other's motivation. Incubus because he saw someone throwing away a golden opportunity for the sake of their hair and Maya because gently caress if a street rat will get the better of her.

Meti hated and mocked everything about the world and could see no way to escape it. She died the way she lived, pointing out the fragile and imaginary shell that everyone builds on. It could've been Maya who killed her if the question pissed her off enough, but it was Incubus because of the way she'd trained him.

She didn't care, and both of her students are convinced they're right and thus failed to learn her true lesson. We just like Maya more because her current delusion has her on the side we cheer for.

Meti had to SOMEWHAT give a poo poo or she wouldn't have trained anyone. As to why she trained Incubus as well as Maya, well, people aren't rational and don't make the right decision always. She might have hoped Incubus would turn out better, or that Maya would best him before he became too powerful, or that training Incubus alongside Maya was the ONLY way to actually train Maya.

Maya failed anyway though, she just became another demiurge for a time before finally learning her lesson. Would she have learned it without all the bad poo poo Meti caused by training Incubus? Maybe, maybe not. The world is a land of contrasts. I am very deep.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Meti decided becoming a life lesson eventually was simply the best way to get some noodles in the here and now.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Meti had to SOMEWHAT give a poo poo or she wouldn't have trained anyone. As to why she trained Incubus as well as Maya, well, people aren't rational and don't make the right decision always. She might have hoped Incubus would turn out better, or that Maya would best him before he became too powerful, or that training Incubus alongside Maya was the ONLY way to actually train Maya.

Maya failed anyway though, she just became another demiurge for a time before finally learning her lesson. Would she have learned it without all the bad poo poo Meti caused by training Incubus? Maybe, maybe not. The world is a land of contrasts. I am very deep.

she trained disciples because she was miserable and lonely and didn't have anything to talk about except killing people. There's nothing to really suggest she had any kind of grand plan in mind and she pointedly didn't actually teach anyone her ultimate murder techniques the way her master and master's master etc. did

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

she trained disciples because she was miserable and lonely and didn't have anything to talk about except killing people. There's nothing to really suggest she had any kind of grand plan in mind and she pointedly didn't actually teach anyone her ultimate murder techniques the way her master and master's master etc. did

I’m with this.
Meti’s the Diogenes of the sword, famously called ‘Socrates but insane’ by contemporaries, and Socrates ‘knew only that he knew nothing.’

Meti told her disciples everything she knew (the sword and how awful the sword is) because they insisted they wanted to learn, and she was a lonely old woman with nothing else. That they both became unstoppable violence-monsters shows that she knew the sword, and that Maya and Incubus both live their lives completely shaped by her philosophy of the swords shows that she had real insight… but she had a question. Not an answer.

And Allison’s answer was “well, despite that question and my total lack of a concrete answer, I’m still going to try.”

And that might have to be enough! There’s no solution to the problem of power, only attempts to solve it here and now, for some time, and keep forging ahead.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
I finally binge read this today

Comic is good, tha blunderbrains

I take it updates are not necessarily very consistent though?

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Car Hater posted:

They're pretty consistent actually! Every Friday for the most part.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
And if there’s a skip with mention of something art-wise that needs more time we all rejoice because the next pages will be absolute bangers.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
Meti could have picked up a different hobby tbh

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Car Hater posted:

Updates are consistent as hell, unless Operant needs to take longer to do a full-spread page or something and then gently caress yeah it’s gonna rock.

The first only real long pause was at the end of the last book, what with his son being born and all.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

YaketySass posted:

Meti could have picked up a different hobby tbh

She tried to take up knitting, there were no survivors

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

say hello to my little friend

reach heaven through purling

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Her parents actually wanted her to "reach heaven through violins," but this was even more ethically horrifying than violence so she kind of willfully misunderstood.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

And with just impeccable timing, Abaddon's computer died so no page this week: https://killsixbilliondemons.com/computer-has-chosen-violence/

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
Kill Six Billion Hard Drives

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Kassad posted:

Kill Six Billion Hard Drives

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

Benagain posted:

This guy later on got broken out of special hell by someone who hated the lunar empire more than he loved not unleashing the ultimate ravening conqueror on all creation again.

Mixed results.

Glorantha loving rules.

e: Updates are very regular, and Abbadon has noted when he's taking time away for other things and when updates will resume. Very little actual schedule slippage. The big difference is that he's gone from posting a single page 2 times a week to posting usually multiple pages on Fridays since his paternity hiatus.

habeasdorkus fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Sep 6, 2023

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

While still finding the time to complete 3 RPG projects. Dude's a machine

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Rotten Red Rod posted:

And with just impeccable timing, Abaddon's computer died so no page this week: https://killsixbilliondemons.com/computer-has-chosen-violence/

Wait, does this mean he's not working off a backlog and actually pumps these out every single week??

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
I went back and looked at some other bits and I think I was brain-dumbing based on the dates of people's comments?

Was not at all focused on it as I hyperfocused on reading all afternoon, thanks for correcting me

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

There Bias Two posted:

Wait, does this mean he's not working off a backlog and actually pumps these out every single week??

yes, his patreon will show the unfinished page on a Thursday or Friday and by the time it's posted for real it has both coloring and sometimes speech bubble/art changes.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

shirts and skins posted:

yes, his patreon will show the unfinished page on a Thursday or Friday and by the time it's posted for real it has both coloring and sometimes speech bubble/art changes.

I figured he just held those in reserve for weeks at a time

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

"reach heaven through violins,"

The Hydrogen Sonata (2012)

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Rotten Red Rod posted:

While still finding the time to complete 3 RPG projects. Dude's a machine

I love Kill 6 billion demons but for real Lancer is his best work imo.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Rohan Kishibe posted:

I love Kill 6 billion demons but for real Lancer is his best work imo.

Lancer seems to get a lot of poo poo in the TTRPG community for being poorly written, from what I've seen.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
If you mean in terms of technical writing then yeah, there are a lot of rules ambiguities in LANCER that require piecing together the intent from context elsewhere in the book or, on occasion, through a third-party semi-official errata website that's basically an index of things the dev has said on Discord. It's a good game that could desperately use an editing pass.

If you mean in terms of setting and narrative, I think that's mostly just people ruffled by the game's explicitly leftist politics. There are critiques of LANCER from the left as well but they're hyper-specific problems that only make any sense at all if you're already invested (when they aren't just semantic nitpicking about the words "utopia" and "fascism").

e: it's also hard to overstate how bad technical writing is in TTRPGs in general. even the giants of the medium are mostly poo poo at it. so while i don't want to act like LANCER is perfect in that regard it's also, like, comparable to if not better than the efforts of companies who have exponentially more experience, money, and manpower and still gently caress it up

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Sep 6, 2023

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

also tbf writing a exception-based tactical game with as many options as Lancer is hard as balls and what they did with a small team is legit impressive

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

There Bias Two posted:

I figured he just held those in reserve for weeks at a time

dude likes to live dangerously

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

Royalty doesn't do contigency plans. That's too much like believing your actions to be wrong.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
Apparently he has another drive that does hourly backups. Even Royalty takes pains not to suffer total data loss.

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

If you mean in terms of technical writing then yeah, there are a lot of rules ambiguities in LANCER that require piecing together the intent from context elsewhere in the book or, on occasion, through a third-party semi-official errata website that's basically an index of things the dev has said on Discord. It's a good game that could desperately use an editing pass.

If you mean in terms of setting and narrative, I think that's mostly just people ruffled by the game's explicitly leftist politics. There are critiques of LANCER from the left as well but they're hyper-specific problems that only make any sense at all if you're already invested (when they aren't just semantic nitpicking about the words "utopia" and "fascism").

e: it's also hard to overstate how bad technical writing is in TTRPGs in general. even the giants of the medium are mostly poo poo at it. so while i don't want to act like LANCER is perfect in that regard it's also, like, comparable to if not better than the efforts of companies who have exponentially more experience, money, and manpower and still gently caress it up

Lancer is one of the best tabletop games Ive played and one of the clunkiest written rulebooks Ive read. The order it introduces information in doesn't really make sense, where you'll get rules referencing other rules that won't be explained for dozens of more pages, meaning you have to jump back and forth in a pdf with ctrl-f just to piece together what the rules are. The last time I talked about this it was the example of, my mech was destroyed as a rule keyword. It was not EASY to find what "your mech is destroyed" actually meant, because there's a ton of rules that list that as an option like 40 pages before it ever actually says what that means. It does that a lot--talking about rules and systems and effects before they're introduced, meaning the rules only make sense when you read the book twice.

The lore section does the same thing, talking about a slurry of acronyms and organizations pages before they're ever explained--so you have an entire paragraph talking about so-and-such's relation with galsim, as if you should KNOW what galsim is, but galsim itself isn't actually explained until 4 pages on. It also takes a lot of time describing how the in-game Utopia works, despite the game mostly taking places on the edge of its domain in areas that the utopian dream hasn't reached yet--which means a lot of what you read ends up not being relevant to most campaigns.

THAT SAID the robustness of the game is wonderful, the mix-and-match way you build your character each mission is a delight after playing so many games that demand you commit to a Single Guy or some weird hyperspecific multiclass--nah here you can just pick and choose from anything everywhere and make whatever ridiculous combo you want with as much synergy with your friends as you like.

The setting is cool as hell where AI are actually infinitely-minded cosmic omniconsciousness shards held inside boxes pretending to be AI and you can install them on your mech and I am trying to install several of them at once onto my mech so I can achieve psychedelic transcendence divine supermajesty where my mech is screaming and hovering in place blasting everything with mindlightning.

Also that it is aggressively, from an authorial level, not friendly to people who want to play as space neo-nazis and whatever and it takes great pain to make its politics clear is also a big welcomed point in this weird modern times we are in.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
saw this about a game in development, made me think of the comic

https://twitter.com/LithPyro/status/1699497883064500712

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

A lot of people (developers) don’t realize that technical writing is basically a whole separate skill set from actually making the game up, and it’s always worth hiring someone with the skill to help your final product. This isn’t a dig at Abbadon, I have no idea how small the team is and it’s easily possible they just couldn’t get a dedicated person.

Like you said, the standard of writing in tabletop and ttrpgs is bad even from top companies is all over the place, and almost every game has a cabal of fans aggressively reformatting game documents into a readable form.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
The other thing, speaking as someone with experience doing editing for RPGs, is that pretty much nobody can afford to hire an actual editor.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

The Hydrogen Sonata (2012)

10/10, perfect, no notes

or rather many unplayable ones

Operant
Apr 1, 2010

LET THERE BE NO GENESIS
the design team for lancer is me by the way

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Ashcans posted:

This isn’t a dig at Abbadon, I have no idea how small the team is and it’s easily possible they just couldn’t get a dedicated person.

Two people and a mouse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Operant posted:

the design team for lancer is me by the way

genuinely, when do you sleep

on the seventh day, I suppose