Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

FlamingLiberal posted:

It's typically the most accurate

oh dear

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

Possible

Could

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

book it

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

is it normal to get sexually aroused by scary weather forecasts

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

smoobles posted:

i would sacrifice a major city just to get one measly band of hurricane rain

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

smoobles posted:

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

please god I can't take much more of this heat

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
weather nerds with degrees are saying Lee has a solid chance of going to Cat 5.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

FistEnergy posted:

weather nerds with degrees are saying Lee has a solid chance of going to Cat 5.
The Euro, which is usually pretty conservative on intensity, had it with 180 mph sustained winds in an earlier run. That's Hurricane Dorian levels.

This is even crazier when you consider that we are supposed to be in an El Nino year.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe
the Atlantic is super warm as expected, but the typical el nino wind shear is missing in action. so storms can jump in the hot tub and get wild, take their tops off, etc

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I think there has been some shear but it's mostly north of the MDR and that doesn't help anything.

Zoodpipe
Jun 24, 2004

This is an important call. So, shut the fuck up.
Fallen Rib

Gripweed posted:

please god I can't take much more of this heat

At this point, I’m rooting to break the 2011 record.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe

NOAA posted:

It is becoming a question of when and not if rapid intensification (RI) occurs with Lee. A well-defined outflow pattern has developed over the circulation, and there are some hints on a recent SSMI/S microwave pass that parts of an inner core are forming. There's still some notable northeasterly shear that could keep Lee in check for the next day or two, so the NHC intensity forecast will stay at a more moderate rate of intensification during that time. All of the models decrease the shear by Friday, so RI is explicitly forecast at that time frame while Lee is moving over extremely warm waters. The new forecast is adjusted higher than the last advisory, near the model consensus, but there's a notable contingent of guidance higher than this forecast. There is increasing confidence on Lee becoming a very powerful hurricane by this weekend.

Their current model tops out at 145mph at the moment fyi

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

FistEnergy posted:

Their current model tops out at 145mph at the moment fyi

now that’s progress

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Eason the Fifth posted:

Just don't live near water, jeez

I'm very thankful I went from living by a marsh at sea level to living on a hill.

This was a king tide down the street from my old place

titty_baby_ has issued a correction as of 01:45 on Sep 6, 2023

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

the local news said a canadian trough will push lee away from the north east

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

SHORYUKEN

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

Real hurthling! posted:

it’s the least they can do after all the smoke :argh:

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

Real hurthling! posted:

Probably, but not a lock given it is well over a week out.

loving Canadians

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Dayvan Cowboy posted:

Having the initial forecast go from depression to 140mph in five days seems unprecedented.

yes, it is

yale climate connections posted:

The intensity models are in unanimous agreement that TD 13 will become a major hurricane by week’s end, and the National Hurricane Center has issued their most aggressive intensity forecast ever for a newly-formed tropical depression: a Category 4 hurricane with 140 mph winds in five days. The previous most aggressive forecast on record was for the eastern Pacific’s Hurricane Rick of 2009: The first NHC forecast predicted a Category 4 storm with 130 mph winds in five days’ time. Rick ultimately intensified into a Category 5 hurricane with 180 mph winds and a 906 mb central pressure, making it the third most intense eastern Pacific hurricane on record. As noted in the Tweet above by Tomer Burg, never before has NHC predicted a Category 4 hurricane with its first forecast for an Atlantic system.

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

titty_baby_ posted:

I'm very thankful I went from living by a marsh at sea level to living on a hill.

This was a king tide down the street from my old place

forget measuring rainfall in inches, how many inches of mosquitoes do you get per day there

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

redleader posted:

im just a casual thread spectator, but the euro model seems completely wild and useless

nah m8

love that gfs 10day breakdown

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
Tomer Burg

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

corona familiar posted:

forget measuring rainfall in inches, how many inches of mosquitoes do you get per day there

A fuckload but its not too bad if you have screens or keep moving

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

SixteenShells posted:

https://www.motor1.com/news/534396/climaguard-car-bag-flood-protection/
already done.

anyway who needs a plastic bag for your car when you can put water in a plastic bag to protect your whole house?

I respect the belt & suspenders approach.

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

SixteenShells posted:

already done.

anyway who needs a plastic bag for your car when you can put water in a plastic bag to protect your whole house?

anyway who needs a plastic bag for your house when you can put energy in a giant shield array to protect the whole of Western Europe?

it's a bad show

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

SixteenShells posted:

already done.

Lmao

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

FistEnergy posted:

the Atlantic is super warm as expected, but the typical el nino wind shear is missing in action. so storms can jump in the hot tub and get wild, take their tops off, etc

two storms sittin in a hot tub, 500 miles apart cos they're not gay

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

it's going to be almost 100 degrees today

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

This didn't hit Madrid as hard as expected but people still got emergency weather alerts in their phones so now chuds are saying those alerts should be opt-in.

It'd admittedly be pretty funny if they made them opt-out and all the chuds disabled them so they won't get a warning when something life-threatening actually happens.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

hot

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

You can see the eye formation already here

https://twitter.com/jimcantore/status/1699398395763515497?s=46&t=BHs6Pl38GJXGN2Y4xeriNA

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

RIP to Rhode Island and Connecticut

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

gunwife managed to make today the day she spends in the city with appointments

she loves the heat at least but heckkkk

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Gunshow Poophole posted:

gunwife managed to make today the day she spends in the city with appointments

she loves the heat at least but heckkkk
i am your wife, but i hate the heat

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
oh can you pick me up some ramen on the way home plz? spicy miso

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
Like half the schools in CT are closing early today because of heat and all the stores are selling Halloween decorations and have massive fall pumpkin displays out front

lmao

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
I mean it's not unusual to be this hot up here around Labor Day, what's unusual is that it HAD NOT been this hot for the last two months. it didn't break 90 in the hudson valley between July 6 and Sept 2

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
tbh my intention was more to comment on the absurdity of stores around here going whole hog on fall decorations in early September

"brutally hot" and "pumpkin spice latte" are not two tastes that taste great together

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
you don't want to dress up as a sexy chewbacca and acquire pieces of chocolate when the streets are still liquid??