Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Favourite Pokémon type?
This poll is closed.
Plain 6 3.17%
Hot 7 3.70%
Wet 15 7.94%
Green 11 5.82%
Shocking 2 1.06%
Cold 3 1.59%
Punchy 7 3.70%
Poisonous 4 2.12%
Brown 7 3.70%
Bird 11 5.82%
Weird 17 8.99%
Gross 11 5.82%
Solid 2 1.06%
Scary 8 4.23%
Dragon 5 2.65%
Creepy 18 9.52%
Mech 33 17.46%
Pink 22 11.64%
Total: 189 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Did creative assembly really devote a team to making a "hero-based multiplayer extraction shooter" lmao

Edit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DVApk5s7qo

I would've been so much happier remaining ignorant of this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

specifically the objects you are extracting with are, branded funko pops

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

homeless snail posted:

congratulations on entering the virtual world
thanks

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

seeing hyenas reminded me that ken levine is making a game called JUDAS

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Did creative assembly really devote a team to making a "hero-based multiplayer extraction shooter" lmao

Edit:

If I hadn't seen Creative Assembly's name in your post I would have assumed this was an expansion for the new Saints Row or something Borderlands related. These are not positive associations I am making.

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
MGSV is an all-time classic, imo

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The GotY thread this year needs to have a dedicated live service graveyard for all that died this year

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Edit:

"Are we creatively bankrupt if we put Crazy Wacky Emotionally Damaged Harley Quinn Chick in? Yes? OK, but what if she was a ~bAlLeRiNa~?"

gently caress me it's just straight up Trope Characters chasing [Brand]

Some of that tech looks fun as hell though.
Anti-grav + foam blaster is good poo poo.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Waffleman_ posted:

The GotY thread this year needs to have a dedicated live service graveyard for all that died this year

Wasn't Suicide Squad supposed to come out in like May?

Can't believe how DOA that game is going to be, and I'm the kind of person who would probably have just bought a Rocksteady game sight unseen based purely on how much I loved the Arkham games.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Waffleman_ posted:

lol was going to add in "Can't wait for this to be shut down in under 6 months" :v:

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

what is the difference between Alone in the Dark and Alan Wake

in my brain they might as well be Alone in the Wake and Alan Dark there is no difference

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Alone in the Dark has the guy from Gran Turismo: Based on a True Story

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

i think i prefer Are You Afraid of the Dark

also

https://twitter.com/JackNguyenArt/status/1699086545226227737?s=20
:allears:

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Gaius Marius posted:

Cancel Total War Pharaoh and give me Napoleon II you cowards

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Edit:

Good trailer

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Kerrzhe posted:

what is the difference between Alone in the Dark and Alan Wake

in my brain they might as well be Alone in the Wake and Alan Dark there is no difference

Alone in the dark is a venerable horror series, think “resident evil 1 but much much more primitive” that has seen several reboots that never stuck to landing

Alan wake is a Remedy joint, i.e. from the Max Payne 1 & 2 / Control folks, so imagine a horror game that looks like Max Payne 1 & 2 / Control

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Mr Hootington posted:

Good trailer

Using a Nixon mask shows they're too cowardly to make ironic comments on current politicians.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Gripweed posted:

Using a Nixon mask shows they're too cowardly to make ironic comments on current politicians.

But they are willing to comment on future politicians

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

Wasn't Suicide Squad supposed to come out in like May?

Can't believe how DOA that game is going to be, and I'm the kind of person who would probably have just bought a Rocksteady game sight unseen based purely on how much I loved the Arkham games.

I thought it had already released but then realised I was thinking of Gotham Knights.

Lol. Lmao.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Oh man I completely forgot Gotham Knights even came out at all. :laugh:

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Mode 7 posted:

I thought it had already released but then realised I was thinking of Gotham Knights.

Lol. Lmao.

an easy mistake to make, considering that they're both live service titles that have had (or are having) most of those features sandblasted away to put out a saleable product in an environment where battle passes are increasingly being looked on with disdain

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

you batman-infused losers are gonna pay when my sweet purps finally drop

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Having a live service homerun is just too tantalizing

Is Not-Splatoon Foam Game gonna be a live service game

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

You don’t need a home run, just enough bait to catch yourself some whales

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Foam is gross, very unappealing game concept imo

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Kerrzhe posted:

oh my god i thought it WAS Alan Wake 2 that was getting delayed lmao

It doesn't help that they are using very similar fonts.

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Sep 6, 2023

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Captain Invictus posted:

mannnnnn, I was looking forward to whatever trailer they would have for Wilds of Eldraine, the new mainline MTG set. but then they just dropped...this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8CMi4u9cjY&hd=1

Now we know where the trailer budget really went

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxUmqQrMIWY

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Played through some Starfield this morning and it's uh very.... Bethesda.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Yeah it turns out Todd's been making the same game for 17 years

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

hatty posted:

Foam is gross, very unappealing game concept imo

Like it actually looks really fun as a concept - Splatoon with verticality

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CD_XuyEgfOY&t=75s

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Now we know where the trailer budget really went

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxUmqQrMIWY

I'd argue that the CG trailer has a higher budget.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzBrfW7Ipzg

The anime trailer's budget is probably getting Sawano to do a song for it.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I had an okay meeting with the shareholders.......don't wanna talk about it though.....

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Vermain posted:

an easy mistake to make, considering that they're both live service titles that have had (or are having) most of those features sandblasted away to put out a saleable product in an environment where battle passes are increasingly being looked on with disdain

Gotham Knights isn't a live service game, actually. It's just single player with optional coop.
Pretty sure it doesn't need an Internet connection and it only had one update to add a challenge mode or something.

Not played it, but picked it up on sale a while back. Might get to it eventually.

More interested in it than Rocksteady's Suicide Squad, anyway.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Veotax posted:

Gotham Knights isn't a live service game, actually.

it isn't now, but so many of its elements carry the clear mark of having been designed as a live service title that was hastily shoved into a single player box once the market started to decisively turn against live services

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Exoprimal went from 4500 players to 220 in exactly two months

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Waffleman_ posted:

Exoprimal went from 4500 players to 220 in exactly two months

it's a real headscratcher

i remember seeing previews and trying to figure out who on earth this concept was trying to appeal to. "mech suits fighting dinosaurs" is a good-if-goofy hook for, say, an 8-10 hour single player title that gets a big streaming boost from the absurd concept and then pops up every now and again in steam sales, but a goddamn live service?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

There's also the constant looming shadow of "Why isn't this a Dino Crisis game"

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Vermain posted:

i remember seeing previews and trying to figure out who on earth this concept was trying to appeal to. "mech suits fighting dinosaurs" is a good-if-goofy hook for, say, an 8-10 hour single player title that gets a big streaming boost from the absurd concept and then pops up every now and again in steam sales, but a goddamn live service?

Yeah my interest dropped like a rock when I heard it was an extraction shooter because I only have time for the best one

Deceive Inc.

in the humble bundle this month

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Vermain posted:

Pretty sure the target audience was people who have Game Pass since it launched on there. So the Steam stats probably don't tell the full story.

With the extraction shooter thing it's really funny, because that didn't seem like it was becoming a huge dominating subgenre like battle royale was during that gold rush. It feels more like some business oval office at multiple publishers noticed a lot of people were watching Tarkov streams on Twitch and thought that was enough for every single company to launch an extraction shooter. Its even funnier when you remember Sony is making 2 of them and dragged out the wheezing corpse of Marathon for the purpose.

njsykora fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Sep 6, 2023

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Problem is all these GAAS titles don't get sunsetted correctly. 9/10 the servers just get taken down, thank you for your $70, here's our next title.

Sunset the game, let players host their own private servers, and the bulk of the problem goes away.

While a lot of these games might not win GOTY or anything like that, they're an absolute blast to play with friends - especially if you find the one that clicks with your group.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

It's always funny when the game is canceled while still in early access, or goes 1.0 and then immediately gets unbirthed