Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

Air Skwirl posted:

I haven't read it, but how does someone go from a well liked Daredevil run to a hated Batman run?

I actually think it has the same problems as his daredevil run where it's a in interesting idea on paper, but the execution feels like a first draft

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i get what it is going for, at least. bruce is very much not well, but even if he was less traumatized and haunted by zurr en arrh, he still wouldn't be cool with all of the violent criminals switching to non-violent crime. he's only cool with white collar crime and vigilantism, after all. but it's still a bit much how he is basically incapable of communicating with anyone about anything. not just unwilling, that's a common enough scenario because batman's a jerk, but unable.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Air Skwirl posted:

I haven't read it, but how does someone go from a well liked Daredevil run to a hated Batman run?

Gotham War seems really, really stupid

The idea that you can just teach all the violent goons to become cat burglars who donate to charity and it won’t bite you in the rear end is deeply stupid, and the idea that the majority of the Bat family except back this plan is even more stupid.

I think, for me, the cardinal sin is going to the well of “Batman would be a bad idea in real life.” I know that! Every reasonable adult knows that! But when we read a Batman book, we’re buying into the fantasy that Batman, and superheroes in general, are an effective force for good.

thetoughestbean fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Sep 6, 2023

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

It just feels like it's taking Morrison's ideas and not really doing much with them except making Batman unlikable.

I think it's a problem that writers fall into where they feel like they have to make big signature runs on heroes like Spider-Man and Batman, but what most people want are just good stories about them fighting villains. Batman has just been one big thing after another and there's no status quo or really any one character to get invested in except maybe Tim, because everyone else keeps changing or not acting like themselves.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

I thought that the finale of Knight Terrors had Batman end up in a coma and I think Zurr en arrh getting free?
I'm honestly not 100% sure

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Likchenpa.
Weird usage of Zur En Arrh, then. Didn't Morrison intend for it to be a fallback personality in case of psychological attack?
Which reminds me of Batman Incorporated. Imagine, multiple different Batmen in different cities, with different villains! Any Batman writer would have effectively X-Men levels of creative freedom for new characters! Not following Bruce for a change!

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
An arc or two ago, it was revealed that Zur had gone rogue and started developing an anti-batman countermeasure known as Failsafe. As a consequence of the arc, Zur was locked down in Batman's head.

This feels like it might be another "Batman needs to rely on his family and let them in story" but with the end of the latest issue I think it's building for an even bigger status change to cap off the "Batman losing everything" thing that's been going on

BoP: don't care for Harley somehow outfoxing Cassandra's physical sense because "unpredictable"

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

he still wouldn't be cool with all of the violent criminals switching to non-violent crime. he's only cool with white collar crime and vigilantism, after all.
Now I want a Batman story where he's just doing a Kitboga from the batcave, annoying the poo poo out of scam call centres while doing his best Aunt Harriet impression.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Codependent Poster posted:

It just feels like it's taking Morrison's ideas and not really doing much with them except making Batman unlikable.

I think it's a problem that writers fall into where they feel like they have to make big signature runs on heroes like Spider-Man and Batman, but what most people want are just good stories about them fighting villains. Batman has just been one big thing after another and there's no status quo or really any one character to get invested in except maybe Tim, because everyone else keeps changing or not acting like themselves.

This is what I think. It seems everyone wants some classic of all time run and I find that I just want a solid street level one and done stuff. Give me something like Dini's Detective Comic run.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Madkal posted:

This is what I think. It seems everyone wants some classic of all time run and I find that I just want a solid street level one and done stuff. Give me something like Dini's Detective Comic run.

This is what we need

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It all comes out right in the end.
I don't even really need street level, I just want stories that aren't repeating the same story beats as the last few writers. How many "Gotham gets taken over by an unstoppable force," "Batman seemingly dies but actually isn't dead," and "Gotham goes to war" stories have we had at this point?

Lucifunk
Nov 11, 2005

I recently read most of the mainline Batman book after King's run into Zdarsky's, and pretty much everyone in between seemed to have some variation on those themes. I liked Tynion's story about a takeover better than the others myself. I'm pretty surprised that Miracle Molly and her whole deal hasn't been followed up on. I found her especially interesting.

I loved the Morrison Batman run, but just like X-Men, the people who followed simply can't capture their specific blend of weird, retro, and fun. The other writers just look a bit worse for trying to copy their vibes. This has been the 1st Zdarsky book I've been cold on. I love his Daredevil.

I know people generally didn't like King's time on the book, but doing a Batman romance story really worked for me. I also read it in one big chunk on DCU and didn't wait a month between each issue. The double date issue is one of my favorite Batman stories.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

King’s run was pretty great until the aborted marriage, then it fell apart pretty hard.

Chip’a Batman has been pretty good so far. I’m mostly just happy that someone is running with the Batman of Zurr-En-Arrh. Combining it with Tower of Babel, and having Bruce’s back up personality make a contingency against himself is the kind of crazy I’m looking for.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Personally I'm tired of Batman as a god level intellect fighting unstoppable machines and time travelling and poo poo. I know there is a place for it but I feel like it is just getting further and further away from what makes Batman fun. It just feels like ultimate power creep for a character that had that already pique in the early 2000's. Rereading old Batman comics and it was fun watching Batman react to small non earth destroying factors, or factors outside of his control. I find it more interesting to see Batman react to an earthquake than (pick a name out of a hat) villain taking over Gotham and making it a Mad Max like hellscape. Zdarsky has an interesting spin on it but it is seriously getting really repetitive at this stage.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Madkal posted:

Personally I'm tired of Batman as a god level intellect fighting unstoppable machines and time travelling and poo poo. I know there is a place for it but I feel like it is just getting further and further away from what makes Batman fun. It just feels like ultimate power creep for a character that had that already pique in the early 2000's. Rereading old Batman comics and it was fun watching Batman react to small non earth destroying factors, or factors outside of his control. I find it more interesting to see Batman react to an earthquake than (pick a name out of a hat) villain taking over Gotham and making it a Mad Max like hellscape. Zdarsky has an interesting spin on it but it is seriously getting really repetitive at this stage.

I agree with this and as I make my way through all of the batman books I've becone increasingly certain Morrison "broke" Batman and DC comics as a whole by making everyone a god

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I like it in theory, after all you can't just make a backup personality (designed to be a more extreme version of you with the whole "Batman minus Bruce" thing) and expect there to be some kind of negative side effects... buuuut

In execution though, I've found (at least the ZAR stuff) hit and miss. I loved the idea of Failsafe, "Batman's backup made a double-backup and it's too good" is ridiculous enough that it loops around to being great imo. This current thing though with him trying to take over like the Hulk taking Banner isn't flying near as well. Although it's only a couple of issues in so I'm just gonna cross my fingers and hope it pulls up.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

I wish Detective could at least serve as a more on-the-ground or crime-pulp oriented alternative to Batman being the big super hero book, but Ram V seems to be going for the big sweeping all encompassing Gotham epic with a broken Batman as well. I dunno how you put out so many Bat-books that feel all the same. there isn't even the ploy of them being interconnected stories, it's just everyone hitting the same beats all at the same time

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Absolutely adored the first issue of Birds of Prey. Cassandra Cain and Barda were everything I could have hoped for, and I actually found myself liking the inclusion of Harley.

Has there been a big editorial shakeup at DC to explain how they’re putting out so many good books lately?

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville was a lot of fun.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

I never read anything Secret Six before. Just finished the 2016 run. Dont do what I do.
it wants to be Doom Patrol but just has nothing to say

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Open Marriage Night posted:

Has there been a big editorial shakeup at DC to explain how they’re putting out so many good books lately?

Yes. They gave Dan DiDio the bum's rush a while back.

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.
Prints subs giveth and they taketh away. Sometimes I get my books the day before they're on the stacks and sometimes I'm still waiting two weeks later. I want to read this new Birds of Prey dang it :negative:

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

It’s so good. Probably going to read it again this weekend. All it is is Canary getting the team together, but there’s plenty of action and humor. Plus, the art is just gorgeous.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Mr Hootington posted:

I agree with this and as I make my way through all of the batman books I've becone increasingly certain Morrison "broke" Batman and DC comics as a whole by making everyone a god

I want Morrison Batman in Justice League. That gimmick works great in that context, tons of fun.

I crave that Denny O'Neal Batman in his solo stuff. Make a guy with a knife, if not a problem, at least a slight concern. Let my man have to think to solve a crime!

Batman just knowing the answer to everything immediately has felt so lame since Snyder.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Yeah, the BatGod is boring. You want to have him do that stuff in Justice League, fine. But I'd like smaller stories in his own books.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Birds of Prey is really good! Harley is being used well!

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Upsidads posted:

I never read anything Secret Six before. Just finished the 2016 run. Dont do what I do.
it wants to be Doom Patrol but just has nothing to say

I'm so sorry. You read probably the worst version of Secret Six.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Ain't no "probably" about it that book was trash with a capital T.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Just to be safe it had "big shot" in it and some owl assassin lady who had the mind of a 14 year old but one issue was about an orgy they all had.
How did this happen
Wheres the good one? This has to be the worst one. Right???

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Do you like Simone in general? I guess the fan fav run is her earlier 2008 one. You mention orgies. Back in the day we just got some innuendo in a Simone run, sounds like progress was made.

I've been meaning to try more Simone, only ever read a little back in the day. Agent X and Wonder Woman panels were meme-ing before memes.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

I just looked her up I guess outside of a fantastic episode of Justice League unlimited I haven't read/seen anything but this bad secret six.
I'm all for more diversity in comics so what's her longest worth reading run?

Just thinking about it, mainstream success in comics still is a rarity for American women.
I love Nocenti's work in daredevil. And I thinking might be the only guy in Florida who owns or read Castle Waiting.
Linda Medley is great. Read it nerds!

Edit. I'll read her secret six 2008 run now

Lucifunk
Nov 11, 2005

It's not DC, but she did a pretty good Domino series that seemed to have been cut off by the Krakoa status quo happening. If I'm remembering correctly it was around 12 issues long or so.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

I haven't read it, but wasn't her Batgirl series a few years ago well received?

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.

Skull Servant posted:

I haven't read it, but wasn't her Batgirl series a few years ago well received?

I think she did the new 52 one (vol 4?)
I remember it being like most modern solo batgirl in that it was readable and inoffensive but completely forgettable

Edit: I do remember her murdering a sexist moron on twitter once and that was cool

Danknificent fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Sep 8, 2023

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Upsidads posted:

Just thinking about it, mainstream success in comics still is a rarity for American women.
I love Nocenti's work in daredevil. And I thinking might be the only guy in Florida who owns or read Castle Waiting.
Linda Medley is great. Read it nerds!

American women in Marvel/DC comics? There's a smattering of women making their names known, a talented and determined cluster, but sure, could still use a lot more.

In American comics / graphic novels in general? Women are fuckin' crushing it at every age demographic, and it's almost embarrassing how few men can replicate the success women are having. And this is regarding new, original titles that create lifelong comics readers and grow the industry, not the millionth reprint of The Killing Joke.

Lucifunk
Nov 11, 2005

Kelly Thompson is my favorite writer for the last few years. I like everything she does. Not sure if she's done much DC work though.

There's also a good documentary called She Makes Comics all about women in the comics industry. I bought it on Vudu, so I don't know if it's streaming elsewhere.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
For another good comic with a female writer, Poison Ivy is currently ongoing and is great imo.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Spirit World is supposedly good and that is written by a woman.

Hawkgirl is also written by a woman, but is not good.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Lucifunk posted:

Kelly Thompson is my favorite writer for the last few years. I like everything she does. Not sure if she's done much DC work though.

Birds of Prey is her first DC book. It came out this week, and I can't stop talking about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Mr Hootington posted:

Spirit World is supposedly good and that is written by a woman.

Just fyi Alyssa Wong is nonbinary