Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
Besides the “attractive woman in tight outfit” aspect, I like that Sabine walks around in her Mando jumpsuit without the plates. I’ve always wondered exactly how those things are cut, since the costume seems to be standardized.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007

nooneofconsequence posted:

They're going to pull Anakin out of the Force and he's going to lead the next phase of movies.

I think more likely We get a force ghost world movie with Kenobi, Qui-Gon, Anakin, and Yoda... maybe luke too

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

Jehde posted:

Katee Sackhoff and Pedro Pascal have both spoken about "helmet acting" in interviews, it seems like Natasha Liu Bordizzo might not be that much of a "helmet actress", and they seem to be finding whatever excuse to keep her helmet off.

She's actually on set, unlike Pedro. So of course they want her helmet off as much as possible, much like Katee Sackhoff.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023
She doesn't have the force yet and her helmet's peripheral vision is for poo poo.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

No Mods No Masters posted:

I might have said this before, but I wouldn't even really mind ahsoka being a piece of poo poo if she had an arc of recognizing that she was slipping and starting to repeat the mistakes of the past, etc, and growing a bit as a person.

I'm happy to own it if it turns out I'm underestimating the show. But based on what I've seen so far it seems smart money is pretty against that, "cool aunt" is where she's probably intended to be at, torture or convenient borderline-technically-not-torture aside, and will stay

Whether there’s an arc or just inconsistent writing will depend on where this goes, but I’m seeing some evidence of an arc. Especially given how Ep 4 goes. The title is “Fallen Jedi” and that could apply to multiple characters. But let’s consider the possibility of applying it to Ahsoka and then ask why we couldn’t.

Is it that she isn’t technically a Jedi? Is it literal because she fell off a cliff? Or is it that her status as Jedi/not Jedi remains in doubt?

I want to suggest that despite rejecting the Jedi order, Ahsoka is trying to be more Jedi than anyone in some instances, while rejecting the Order in others. As episode 3 establishes: she accepts the Force ungifted Sabine as padawan twice, but subjects her to traditional Jedi lightsaber training which follows precisely in the established Order patterns. And in episode 4 she gives Sabine a patented “detatched Jedi” lecture about destroying the map even if it dooms Ezra. You can see as she delivers it that she doesn’t believe it’s getting through, but set that in context with the idea she abandoned Anakin and ran away and things become clearer. She feels guilt for that, yet she’s advising Sabine to do the same with Ezra? We know Sabine’s big problem is being cut off from other people, but how do we characterize Ahsoka? She gives a bog-standard Jedi lecture to Sabine, but she clearly is NOT detatched from Sabine herself. Look at her smile when Huyang says they’re better together. Watch her reaction when she thinks Shin killed Sabine.

But also, look at her shock when Sabine shows up. She must have faith in Sabine to teach her in the first place. But Huyang just said “stick together” and Ahsoka ran off after the map instead of valuing Sabine more. It’s the same pattern again, driven by ascibing importance to a thing over a person, by undervaluing the connections between people that are the Force. And at heart, it shows that while Ahsoka may be badass, she doesn’t actually have faith in the people around her, as you might expect of a hurt and betrayed padawan. She wants to move past the Jedi but she also can’t let go. The “correct” response is to say “we will rescue your friend and defeat Thrawn before he can start another war,” but Ahsoka can’t say that because she has no faith in people. Except that on another level, she does: she just has to learn that overcoming her fears means something besides keeping them bottled up.

As with most students, in the end, I expect Sabine will teach Ahsoka new lessons about the Force, and about who she needs to be. Because she needs to choose between the Force and the Order, once and for all.

Maybe it’s just bad writing, but the pattern seems coherent enough to believe in.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

...huh, that episode didn't feel like only 33 minutes, which was nice

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

DJ_Mindboggler posted:

Gotta hand it to the showrunners though, I don't think anybody called Marrok being a space magic smoke monster

https://i.imgur.com/a6lJcVJ.mp4

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

mllaneza posted:

I have nothing to add.

Without those inferences (e.g. stuff like why rumours are spreading that Thrawn's alive, what those rumours specifically involve, who's spreading them, etc.) the plot just collapses into mess.

Anyways, I was told that part 4 was where the show finally got good. It may be the first episode with a good action scene, but we now have even more exposition about poo poo from other shows. Ashoka's done heinous poo poo in the past? Previously betrayed Sabine and got her family killed or something? Probably would have been good to show that earlier!

Now I'm imagining the poor soul who watches the Original Trilogy for the first time, and then buys this show on plastic disc to see 'what happens next.'

I've seen literally every piece of live-action Star Wars media, and have little to no clue as to what these references are about. Anakin's appearance warrants a "huh?", even with the context of the prequels; association with him is genuinely a bad look for our protagonist. Dude was a fascist!

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
Ok I'm updating my prediction.

ahsoka is going to have to fight ezra + sabine (noooo i can save him)

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

It's about family, and that's what's so powerful about it. And also snips

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

No Mods No Masters posted:

It's about family, and that's what's so powerful about it. And also snips

Star Wars shows have been leaning into community building and found family the last couple of years. I'm really appreciating that as a consistent theme. Andor was big on that, Bad Batch made it a major focus of the second season, and here we have the found family from Rebels still being a huge part of its member's lives. Hell, go all the way back to Clone Wars with the clones all being family. It's in Mando, but it isn't in Kenobi or BoBob.

Ahsoka is an outsider who only has bonds with one of the Rebels family. How she relates to that and if she gets included is going to be a major theme of the next four episodes. The success of the show, I strongly suspect, is going to depend on how well that is developed.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

mllaneza posted:

Star Wars shows have been leaning into community building and found family the last couple of years. I'm really appreciating that as a consistent theme. Andor was big on that, Bad Batch made it a major focus of the second season, and here we have the found family from Rebels still being a huge part of its member's lives. Hell, go all the way back to Clone Wars with the clones all being family. It's in Mando, but it isn't in Kenobi or BoBob.

Ahsoka is an outsider who only has bonds with one of the Rebels family. How she relates to that and if she gets included is going to be a major theme of the next four episodes. The success of the show, I strongly suspect, is going to depend on how well that is developed.

Andor isn't 'found family'; guy was just adopted. He mostly drifts thru the series as a loner, but his actual literal mom is right there, the whole time. It's not really a term you can apply to any narrative where a group of people work together.

In Ahsoka Show, likewise, Sabine was apparently left alone in that tower for several years. She then meets up with these old acquaintances for a couple days(?) before joining the villains.

Okay, a little positivity: I'm really loving Ray Stevenson as Large Count Dooku.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Really liked this episode, i think the fight choreography has been pretty decent in this show.

That being said the writing is so bad, tons of cliches and i know filoni can do better because I've seen it!

Like "I'm sure you'll think of something" and "should i be? what? worried?" cmon these are like writer 101 level back and forths

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
One of the several things I like about Baylan Skoll is the economy with which he deflects blaster shots. No waving his lightsabre around, only snapping it precisely into place with a minimum of motion. :allears:

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Andor isn't 'found family'; guy was just adopted.

"Adopted kids aren't real".

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Bigger Dooku's going to Brigadooku

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

MMAgCh posted:

One of the several things I like about Baylan Skoll is the economy with which he deflects blaster shots. No waving his lightsabre around, only snapping it precisely into place with a minimum of motion. :allears:

I'm probably just interpolating RPG rules into the narrative, I but I like that the "DC to reflect enemy fire blaster fire is based on enemy's level" rule is in effect. If mooks are shooting from the hip at you, that poo poo can bounce right back. Somebody who is actually a good shot and 'in the zone' has their shots deflected away and not back.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Sabine doing the Force fakeout and then hitting Shin with POCKET SAND! cracked me up almost as much as Shin throwing a smoke bomb :allears:

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
Best episode so far, only had to endure 2 mins of Ahsoka arm-crossing then it was quality all the way.

If this is confirmed as Ray Stevenson's final role, then he went out on a hell of a performance because Bigger Dooku is a compelling, layered, nuanced, and yet still so powerful performance. RIP you glorious bastard.

Beautifully shot episode, great fight choreography, an actual sense of emotion from all the participants. Apart from Ahsoka, who mostly is stuck in stoic/boring Jedi mode.

Jerusalem posted:

Sabine doing the Force fakeout and then hitting Shin with POCKET SAND! cracked me up almost as much as Shin throwing a smoke bomb :allears:

Just a great moment in a great fight overall. There's lots of nice character moments and details beyond just swing swing pew pew.

1st AD posted:

I just watched Ahsoka with a bunch of casual fans who’ve never seen Rebels, and unanimously everyone likes Sabine and Chopper, and they think Ahsoka the character is uninteresting. For whatever a sample size of 4 is worth.

I have watched Rebels 1.5 times, and your casual friends nailed it. That's exactly it. She's more interesting in Clone Wars, but I only saw a bit of that so far, but adult Ahsoka is the weakest character in the show, and was always going to be, and that's in spite of her name being in the title.

Oh, and Sabine in cuffs, being led gently by the hand by Shin, is going to crash fan fiction servers.

Absolutely loved the hyperspace ring causing turbulence. I thought for a moment the ring was going to carry Hera and Phoenix Squadron with them, as in whatever was inside the ring's middle got transported, but losing several fighters just to the hyperwake was a nice "oh, this thing is dangerously powerful" visual display that sold it as the true macguffin of the series, not the map.

Anyway, episode owned, and I would only trim a minute at most from eps 3 and 4, it was only baggy with the shot lingering and the loose editing in the first 2 eps, so I'm confident about the back half of the show right now. This is the best non-Andor live action Star Wars TV show in my ranking.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

Jehde posted:

Katee Sackhoff and Pedro Pascal have both spoken about "helmet acting" in interviews, it seems like Natasha Liu Bordizzo might not be that much of a "helmet actress", and they seem to be finding whatever excuse to keep her helmet off.

There was a lot of camera-lingering on the dropped helmet, so maybe it'll turn into a plot point (some homing device / chain code link / insert technobabble) to locate Sabine.

Then again, there is a LOT of camera-lingering in the show in general, so it might not mean anything.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

MixMasterMalaria posted:

I think more likely We get a force ghost world movie with Kenobi, Qui-Gon, Anakin, and Yoda... maybe luke too

Maybe a talk show of some variety

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
what an atrocious show. good lord.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
i'm glad ahsoka is dead

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

It sucks that the best character in this is Baylan and this is the one time we're going to see him.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Marsupial Ape posted:

Besides the “attractive woman in tight outfit” aspect, I like that Sabine walks around in her Mando jumpsuit without the plates. I’ve always wondered exactly how those things are cut, since the costume seems to be standardized.

Having Sabine wear gray coveralls and a tank top also helps to subconsciously connect her training to Luke's on Dagobah, which I like more than having her literally quote him when she puts the training helmet on.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

exmarx posted:

i'm glad ahsoka is dead

She's not dead,Anakin rescued her.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Necrothatcher posted:

It sucks that the best character in this is Baylan and this is the one time we're going to see him.

Depending how the SAG strike shakes out over likeness rights, maybe not

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Spookydonut posted:

Depending how the SAG strike shakes out over likeness rights, maybe not

Just have him show up with a helmet on that he never removes. Also his voice is muffled by it and sounds different. Bing bang boom.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
There is no way these two aren't gay. What the gently caress was that look when the robot said they were better together?

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

There is no way these two aren't gay. What the gently caress was that look when the robot said they were better together?

theres no underwear lesbians in star wars - george lucas probably

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Spookydonut posted:

theres no underwear lesbians in star wars - george lucas probably

Doctor Aphra has been lesbianing her way around the galaxy for a few years now.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Genuinely baffled by de-ageing Hayden Christensen. He still looks the same, why go to all that trouble to make him look super fake?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
He doesn't look de-aged at all?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

He looks like someone melted him in a microwave juuust long enough to lose some distinction in his features.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
I don't see it

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023
drat, there are some picky people watching this show.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Book a visit to an optician.

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
I'm only about 15 minutes into this latest episode but between darth oneliner and "don't worry about me", "im not", "good", "should i be?" "what?" "worried", "nope", this is already some awful writing, even for star wars standards

e: also lol at the way she dropped that cloak, followed by "going somewhere?"

Lex Neville fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Sep 6, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Penitent
Jul 8, 2005

The Lemonade Man Can

Lex Neville posted:

I'm only about 15 minutes into this latest episode but between darth oneliner and "don't worry about me", "im not", "good", should i be?" "what?" "worried", "nope", this is already some awful writing, even for star wars standards

They decided they wanted to pass the Bechdel test with the minimal amount of work possible.