Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Ort posted:

What is the gameplay stuff you do? The game looked cool but I didn’t look too much into it past seeing you use premade characters.

I really don't like pre-made characters in this kind of game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Ort posted:

What is the gameplay stuff you do? The game looked cool but I didn’t look too much into it past seeing you use premade characters.

Right now it's mostly just running progressively harder versions of dungeons to grind out new characters/weapons. It's super simple outside of a handful of boss fights that are actually pretty fun.

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.

Phoix posted:

Right now it's mostly just running progressively harder versions of dungeons to grind out new characters/weapons. It's super simple outside of a handful of boss fights that are actually pretty fun.

I have always wanted a 3rd person MMO that takes the idea of D3 greater rifts and stuff as its main gameplay loop, is it similar to that?

Pandaal
Mar 7, 2020

Phoix posted:

Basically this. It's like an MMO pared down to just the power treadmill. There are a few "quest-like" activities that take place in one of two larger open-world zones. World bosses and collecting bear asses from time to time. Then the meat of it is identifying what you want to build / stats you want to advance, finding out what materials you need to do that, and farming them in the Lost Zones (dungeons) or from the specific places in the open-world zones.

What I like is that it's very similar to Destiny in that you can try to stack as many of your current pursuits as possible to optimize your play time and it doesn't take much effort at all to do group content. Similar to the way WoW eventually became "a bunch of people waiting in Orgrimmar for their queue to pop" this game just embraces that by having the central hub town be the main social space with a massive portal that everyone hangs out in front of to queue for their activities.

The loop is basically log on, identify what you want to do obtain, figure out where that overlaps with your buddies (typically even if you need different items, they may both be found in the Codex dungeon for instance), then run randomized permutations of that dungeon until you get the drop you needed. Rinse and repeat. Even if there's some level disparity you can complete the dungeon on a lower level while grinding up a different weapon you're not proficient in to "maximize" the play time but still get the resources you needed for higher-tier goals, so it facilitates grouping across power-levels pretty well.

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

An iksar marauder glowers at you dubiously -- looks like quite a gamble.
If it has widespread instancing it’s at best a morpg!

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

jokes posted:

A hotdog is an MMO but a sandwich is not an MMO

Which is stupid because a sandwich is more a group effort than a hotdog. Cold cuts can't just go in on their own and be called a sandwich, they need at least two slices of bread, cheese, lettuce and some sort of condiment. A hotdog is its own thing, buns and condiments are optional.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

a MMO has camps, Anakin!

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

Flavahbeast posted:

a MMO has camps, Anakin!

I eat hotdogs at camp. So hotdogs are still MMOs :colbert:

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

jokes posted:

A hotdog is an MMO but a sandwich is not an MMO

But then someone comes along with their brand new sasuage burger (which is completely different from a hotdog) and ......

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

soup is a MUD

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Wholesome and filling, but gets bland on its own. :hmmyes:

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

temple posted:

Grinding is good. The only bad grind is night's maw because its broken.

Well, it works, but it's an open-world quest with a 3h respawn timer so...

I also been enjoying Wayfinder this past couple of days. WoW lite with MOBA-style heroes is a decent summation of what it's doing. Having characters and weapons level independently while being interchangeable is a fun conceit. Can play a dagger tank or a gun mage or whatever.

If it doesn't die in its crib, then it could find a niche similar to Warframe.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man

Freakazoid_ posted:

Which is stupid because a sandwich is more a group effort than a hotdog. Cold cuts can't just go in on their own and be called a sandwich, they need at least two slices of bread, cheese, lettuce and some sort of condiment. A hotdog is its own thing, buns and condiments are optional.

Was with you until the deranged obsession in a second slice of bread.

Pandaal
Mar 7, 2020

Skippy McPants posted:

Well, it works, but it's an open-world quest with a 3h respawn timer so...

That must have been an oversight because it's the first thing in today's patch notes

Edit: I won't keep derailing about Wayfinder, maybe I'll sit down and make a thread.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Rip to Gloria Victis. 6 years ea, 6 months release, killed.

https://www.pcgamer.com/medieval-mmo-gloria-victis-and-its-developer-are-shutting-down-because-of-financial-pressure-and-burnout/

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I'm surprised they kept it running this long with only a 15 member team, that is kind of insane for an MMO support crew. Well, with 4k players maybe it's doable, but still.

I will say that their other game that was mentioned, Siege Survival: Gloria Victis, is legitimately good. It's kind of an easier version of This War Of Mine (but less depressing), and I had no idea it was tied to an MMO at all.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
Made a thread for Wayfinder over in MMO HMO. If you are into that kind of thing.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Anyone interested in a single player mmo like?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dr5_dbkTmk

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:

Harminoff posted:

Anyone interested in a single player mmo like?

Most of my MMO experience was/is just soloing while occasionally talking to guildies anyway, so a mostly single player MMO where the NPCs occasionally pipe up via world chat and are recruitable for partying pretty much captures most of the feeling.

housemaster!!1
Oct 6, 2015

DUNT 4GEHT 2 FLAAHP UR ARRMAZ
I'm looking so hard to find anything to play after work but after countless hours in different stores, I kinda gave up.
I need a game where I have the feeling that I'm not alone, because I'm alone already irl.

My wish would be Ragnarok Online: Remastered, but without Gravity anywhere near. An oldschool grinder without P2W or overly complicated systems like BDO. And not Guild Wars 2, ESO, FF14 or WoW. Any ideas?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
private RO-retro servers lol

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

housemaster!!1 posted:

I'm looking so hard to find anything to play after work but after countless hours in different stores, I kinda gave up.
I need a game where I have the feeling that I'm not alone, because I'm alone already irl.

My wish would be Ragnarok Online: Remastered, but without Gravity anywhere near. An oldschool grinder without P2W or overly complicated systems like BDO. And not Guild Wars 2, ESO, FF14 or WoW. Any ideas?

Have you tried the new rose online yet

Pandaal
Mar 7, 2020

housemaster!!1 posted:

You didn’t name Albion Online, so I’m gonna say Albion Online.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?

housemaster!!1 posted:

Perhaps Dungeon Fighter Online, Maplestory, Warframe, Path of Exile, Genshin Impact, Vindictus, Old-School Runescape, PSO2, FF11 or the new Wayfinder? I'm kinda shotgunning in the general direction I think you're looking for but might be missing the specifics you want.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

FutureCop posted:

Perhaps Dungeon Fighter Online, Maplestory, Warframe, Path of Exile, Genshin Impact, Vindictus, Old-School Runescape, PSO2, FF11 or the new Wayfinder? I'm kinda shotgunning in the general direction I think you're looking for but might be missing the specifics you want.

I would personally put in an antivote for genshin if they're feeling lonely. Genshins more like a single player game with very, very occasional and clunky coop. At least in Warframe you have a guild and group play (even if everyone is zooming 100mph) and PoE has active goon chat channels.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

PoE is an extremely lonely game about turning yourself into a walking death zone. good poo poo if your arpg brain worms are acting up but very isolating.

Ffxi was the first game I thought of to recommend when reading it, but it does have extremely complicated systems if you want to do anything well. I played it for a while a few years ago and sometimes want to play again but it’s just too much work to try to remember managing windower, gearswap sets, and all of that stuff.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?
Yeah, some of my suggestions were kinda out there due to leaning towards one aspect that they were looking for at the cost of neglecting another aspect, or subject to different interpretations, such as PoE being simultaneously boisterous with active hub zones and trading and other social aspects, but also largely being a one-man lawnmower sim. In a similar vein, I was going to suggest Lost Ark, but I felt like the introductory leveling period where it's largely unpopulated (or even worse, populated solely by bots) might be a bit rough.

Reevaluating it, the closest suggestion I had to fitting all the criteria (simple/grindy, populated, MMO) was probably Old School Runescape. It's definitely a bit difficult since the big four that would usually be recommended (Guild Wars 2, ESO, FF14 and WoW) are out of the picture, and thus any recommendations would have lesser populations and therefore be more inclined to be empty and lonely.

If you'll allow me to be wild with my suggestions again, I do wonder if the very fact that the nixing of the big four might mean that we, despite being on the MMO subforum, shouldn't even be looking in the MMO space, but rather in the more coop or even singleplayer space. For example, I have a lot of fun hoping into coop games like Deep Rock Galactic and Darktide because the game's community really fosters friendly cooperation through roleplay, what with 'Rock and Stone' and 'No Dwarf Left Behind' and 'For the Emperor' being shouted in comradery, and they are also really grindy fun. Or, maybe we can look at the grindy survival/farm/life games, like Stardew Valley, Cult of the Lamb, Rune Factory, My Time at Portia, Don't Starve Together, Raft, V Rising or Valheim: some have coop in them for that human element, but some of them also just have a bunch of NPCs that are nice to talk to. Speaking of that, maybe a good singleplayer RPG with deep (albeit not human) characters to build relationships with would help, such as Persona 5, Tales of Vesperia, Dragon Quest XI, Trails in the Sky, Omori, Witcher 3, and so on.

Again, I could be going way off tangent and pushing my own experience of weaning off of MMOs onto others with that spiel, but I dunno, food for thought, feel free to ignore!

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

housemaster!!1 posted:

What kind of experience are you looking for exactly? a co-op experience where you -need- to group with other people to progress when you play? like left4dead/darktide/vermintide2? or are you looking for a game that's like locking yourself alone in a room with a grindstone to make number go up, but there are chatrooms? or are you looking for a mmo where you are alone 95% of the time except for when you log on to do a raid with the same group of people at the same time each week like it's a job and they are your co-workers?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Jazerus posted:

PoE is an extremely lonely game about turning yourself into a walking death zone. good poo poo if your arpg brain worms are acting up but very isolating.

i pretty much exclusively play poe with friends, but yeah most people play solo

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

I made some of my best online friends via RP servers on wow/Ultima online/FFXIV, you definitely do a larger amount of social interaction in that kind of environment.

Some of my favorite gaming moments are from a small private RP Ultima online server like 19 years ago

gently caress I'm old

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

Jazerus posted:

PoE multiplayer is just unplayable due to the crippling VFX clutter. You cant see the mobs, or your own character 90% of the time. Of course, some builds are much less annoying than others but when 2 or more players group together, you might as well just turn the monitor off

May I suggest LotrO. Its an mmo with very easy soloable levelling experience. You can group up but you don't have to except for dungeons, and it has tons of content with manageable semi-predatory monetization. You will have to sign up to VIP subscription for qol stuff and then use the IRL money currency to purchase content from there as you see fit. But qol aside, you can easily progress through months of content totally free until you hit the paywall which is currently set at around lvl 95 (used to be 30).

The game is mostly populated by old people who are vocal in the public channels. Its a nice social experience where engaging with the community is easy and people are generally welcoming and helpful to newbies

As a sidenote though, I've found getting into a high ranking guild is sometimes harder than expected as old people will not just invite everyone into their bingo group.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Ort posted:

Ffxi was the first game I thought of to recommend when reading it, but it does have extremely complicated systems if you want to do anything well. I played it for a while a few years ago and sometimes want to play again but it’s just too much work to try to remember managing windower, gearswap sets, and all of that stuff.

Time for the occasional reminder that top level FFXI play involves Lua programming your pre, mid-, and post-action gear changes.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Mr. Pickles posted:

May I suggest LotrO.

I'd second this recommendation. It's a great game.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Ranzear posted:

Time for the occasional reminder that top level FFXI play involves Lua programming your pre, mid-, and post-action gear changes.

That's why I ended up dipping out of the Horizon server some time after hitting level cap. I liked the nostalgia rush, minus some of the more annoying old school mmo obstacles, but there was no way I could tolerate that style of end game.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Mostly just copy-paste someone else's script and put your gear into the sets. There's even ways to export what you're currently wearing into a copy-paste set.

Then everything is one button. It's almost mandatory for some jobs. Example: Rune Fencer with the crazy fast cast that is dependent on Vallation being up? Handled. No jank. Always get your midcast swap for the important bonusess but still postcast at the correct timing to be back in tank gear. It's just simpler if a bit frontloaded and also skips doing any fastcast+haste math.

If you've only ever played to ye olde 75 cap you probably don't understand the escalation that requires this at all.

I want more games like that. Heavy preplanning and optimization. Situational setup changes. Big ol' mode switches for every class to panic-tank some garbage. True brick wall tanks that can flip a switch and crank out some burst damage instead of passive nose-picking for attention.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

For me the best advantage of XIs approach to gear was that poo poo was good for ages. Like if you earned a rare and powerful reward you'd use it for years, instead of the current mmo idea of gear where you throw it all away every three months and everything is disposable.

Eimi posted:

For me the best advantage of XIs approach to gear was that poo poo was good for ages. Like if you earned a rare and powerful reward you'd use it for years, instead of the current mmo idea of gear where you throw it all away every three months and everything is disposable.

Yeah I like all the gearswaps and having reasons to collect all the gear. It’s just such a bear to get back into once you haven’t done it in a while. Not to mention automating a second account or anything. Like it’s fun when you’re doing it but it takes literal days of updating, reading, and remembering to even be able to play functionally again.

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Who could be scared of a Jeffrey?

housemaster!!1 posted:

You should come play SWG on the Legends server. Free, no P2W, plenty of people online at any given time and you can do plenty of old school grinding if you want. Also space combat if you like.

It's post-NGE with added content without the clunky combat system, it plays much more like a tab target MMO now. They added a whole Legends only expansion with Cloud City with a massive quest chain, even.

There's plenty of active guilds to join from RP to Bounty Hunting to people who just enjoy decorating houses, social events, etc. There's a few of us playing in a guild that's super friendly and has a ton of active people.

Noise Complaint fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Sep 11, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bognar
Aug 4, 2011

I am the queen of France
Hot Rope Guy
I know you said not WoW or FF14, but honestly if loneliness is the thing you're trying to counter then I think an established regular casual raiding guild in either of those games is the ticket. Lots of old(-style) MMOs try to encourage social interaction via game mechanics in the world, but modern MMO raiding is an easy excuse to join an in-group of people and make internet friends.