Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dreqqus
Feb 21, 2013

BAMF!
I put together this weird guy. Code Beast Hundred Edge

Beast

Bot:

Pros: size, color separation. There's little bits of turquoise that could very well be just stickers but they did it in plastic. The transformation is easy to accomplish.

Cons: plastic quality seems off? I'm no expert here but it feels simultaneously more brittle and softer than Bandai plastic. The articulation is also bad, but I think that's mostly to accomplish the transformation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Hobby Lobby is taking 40% off model kits for Labor Day, I snagged an action base for like 7 bucks

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Congrats on funding stealing Iraqi artifacts

Prof. Banks
Apr 22, 2015

Computer lab day! Time to spend 45 minutes trying to load pokemon.com!

Waffleman_ posted:

Hobby Lobby is taking 40% off model kits for Labor Day, I snagged an action base for like 7 bucks

FYI, they do that every other week. Literally.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Got a good start on my backlog for next year

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

poo poo is the RG Epyon out already or is that another model?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Ibblebibble posted:

poo poo is the RG Epyon out already or is that another model?

MG.

You can tell by comparing it to the Providence.

The box also shows the old action base, which suggests it isn't a modern kit.

parabolic
Jul 21, 2005

good night, speedfriend

Kibner posted:

The 15% off Labor Day sale on USAGundam got me to spend some money on them for the first time in a year. Zoids for me and Armored Core for the missus:

I enjoyed building Buster Tortoise, it's just a great silhouette imo.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Oh thank god I thought my local store forgot about my preorder or something.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I love that for the MG they came up with this completely new crotch construction to try to give the Epyon an actual transformation instead of just “take off back skirt, flop the legs over” but the first step in the transformation is still “remove hands”

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Gripweed posted:

I love that for the MG they came up with this completely new crotch construction to try to give the Epyon an actual transformation instead of just “take off back skirt, flop the legs over” but the first step in the transformation is still “remove hands”

"Fold hands into forearm" is lostech. I'm only half joking--I have no idea how you'd engineer a model that could do that without the hands being a floppy, weak mess. To say nothing of space constraints.

Queadlunn
Dec 10, 2005

Yak Deculture!
Fallen Rib
Finally got a finishing pass done on my TR-6 Woundwort kit! I think I've had it for something like 6 years built. I really wish someone still made an injection kit or even an easily available resin kit for the Woundwort, it's such a cool design.

Waiting on some new printing resin to work on the Gigantic Arms assembly for it...

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Woundwort always struck me as a design that took a wrong turn on the production lot and wandered onto the Gundam set from another film and everyone just kinda went with it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Building the RG God Gundam, and while I'm really enjoying it I also want to have stern words with whoever chose to put undergating nubs in the narrowest crevices possible on the knee plates and back-chest piece rather than any other flat surface on those pieces where it'd be far easier to trim off. :argh:

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Building the RG God Gundam, and while I'm really enjoying it I also want to have stern words with whoever chose to put undergating nubs in the narrowest crevices possible on the knee plates and back-chest piece rather than any other flat surface on those pieces where it'd be far easier to trim off. :argh:

This is why you need to have some of the foam supported sandpaper.

That said.. I don't seem to recall having trouble with that bit. I built God with my little boy over the course of two evenings. He did the left half, I did the right. It worked out really well!

Queadlunn posted:

Finally got a finishing pass done on my TR-6 Woundwort kit! I think I've had it for something like 6 years built. I really wish someone still made an injection kit or even an easily available resin kit for the Woundwort, it's such a cool design.

It shows up on P-Bandai every so often. So.. it still comes out.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

The other day I went to the comic store to buy a Gundam, when I got in there were a couple people at the counter looking at that kit that's Mechagodzilla in the colors of Eva Unit 02. So I go over to take a peek over their shoulders, I notice that there are some pre-painted parts on the sprues so I ask, "is that Kotobukiya?" and the guy immediately says "It's Mechagodzilla, also called Kiryu"

I actually had a little flash of nerd anger, like, OK first off I already know that and secondly the question I was asking was nerdier than that, it was so nerdy you didn't even know what I was asking. I'm the top nerd here!

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

It's an Aoshima kit, it's pretty neat. I haven't completed it yet but the neck and some other parts have a rubber skin.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Finished the Epyon. Neat little kit. The wings are very big and heavy, works fine if you're using them as extra supports for the kit but if you want to have it up on a flying stand, those things are gonna droop.

Ork for scale

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

The Wing MGs are all victim to some degree of floppiness/loose fit unfortunately. The Deathscythe Hell in particular suffers a nasty case of swayback due to the weight of its cloak.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

With Tamiya's panel liners you should seal anything under it to prevent plastic cracking. Does this also apply to gundam pour markers and felt liners?

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Synthbuttrange posted:

With Tamiya's panel liners you should seal anything under it to prevent plastic cracking. Does this also apply to gundam pour markers and felt liners?

Nah, the Gundam markers are all fairly innocuous and are made especially for Gunpla so they shouldn't cause any problems. The problem with the Tamiya panel liners is that they're proper full strength enamel washes so chemically they will just eat up certain plastics.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Thanks. I'm assembling an old rear end Zgok kit which has an abs inner skeleton thing which some ps parts go over. Can I just cement those together, they're kind of loose?

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Synthbuttrange posted:

Thanks. I'm assembling an old rear end Zgok kit which has an abs inner skeleton thing which some ps parts go over. Can I just cement those together, they're kind of loose?

If you use anything it'll have to be CA glue, regular plastic cements work by melting similar plastics together so ABS and PS wouldn't bond properly.

Queadlunn
Dec 10, 2005

Yak Deculture!
Fallen Rib

Nerobro posted:

It shows up on P-Bandai every so often. So.. it still comes out.

The base TR-6 that Bandai has some real poportion, scale and build issues for me. Also, I should have said a 1/100. The only larger-scale ones are a few hard-to-get resin kits and the now well out-of-production Cute Cube kit.

Woundwort is an amazing design (to me), and deserves a good MG/Full Mechanics like kit. I'd pay for it.

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

I got me two olives and a couple of limes

now that you mention cutecube, are those files around anywhere or is that stuff just gone-gone. I got into this too late but would love to get my hands on the refined barzam kit

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Backlogust prize messages are going out. I have contacts from everybody up through Diet Poison. If the next block of folks (parabolic, boz, Prof. Banks, and gripweed) can get in touch, it may help accelerate the gift-giving process.

Uh, I guess if you really want, your prize can be platinum, if you find yourself needing PMs and you've already got enough plastic.

Queadlunn posted:

The base TR-6 that Bandai has some real poportion, scale and build issues for me. Also, I should have said a 1/100. The only larger-scale ones are a few hard-to-get resin kits and the now well out-of-production Cute Cube kit.

Woundwort is an amazing design (to me), and deserves a good MG/Full Mechanics like kit. I'd pay for it.

Weirdly, I've got the 1/144th Woundwort and it's also been in a box in pieces for the past several years, waiting for some paint. Maybe it's something intrinsic to the design that triggers that "I can't gently caress this up, I better practice" reflex.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

grassy gnoll posted:

Backlogust prize messages are going out.

I am going to forgo a prize, I just really needed to run my backlog down. Someone else can get two kits.

Thanks so much for your effort on this, it's amazing.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

grassy gnoll posted:

Weirdly, I've got the 1/144th Woundwort and it's also been in a box in pieces for the past several years, waiting for some paint. Maybe it's something intrinsic to the design that triggers that "I can't gently caress this up, I better practice" reflex.

That was me with the MODEROID Valimar. So much filigree to detail carefully... :shepface:

(I am actually quite proud of myself for how it turned out, just a shame about the arm joints)

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

God this 1999 zgok kit is rough going. So many joins and gaps I'm having to fill and sand back just to get them even and smooth.

And the chest section has a join but I'll have to paint the inset vent pieces first before I can assemble it, so I'm imagining I'm going to have to paint the insets, paint the piece, assemble the chest, then file back/fill the join and repaint it oh god D:

I want a lil domeheaded guy tho. And the abs articulated skeleton is solid as gently caress.

e: gently caress it I'll just mask the vents. whats the worst that could happen :v

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Sep 7, 2023

Dreqqus
Feb 21, 2013

BAMF!
Not that I need to add to my backlog at all, but I've recently developed an appreciation for the Seed designs. Are any of the MGs worth grabbing? Not the MGEX Strike, that's a bit rich for my blood.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Buster's good, Freedom 2.0 is good.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Anything released after the RM Strike is generally good, anything before is generally bad. :v:

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Strike RM/Strike Rouge RM is fantastic and is backwards-compatible with the packs from the 1.0 like the IWSP.

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009
I was skeptical about Buster at first because it’s kind of subdued, but so far it’s just so much more pleasant of an experience than Heavyarms. It’s like a Heavyarms that was designed for people without a spare month for detailing.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

CommunityEdition posted:

I was skeptical about Buster at first because it’s kind of subdued, but so far it’s just so much more pleasant of an experience than Heavyarms. It’s like a Heavyarms that was designed for people without a spare month for detailing.

I really want an HGCE Buster Gundam. I know the odds aren't great, but let me dream dammit! :pray:

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I really want an HGCE Buster Gundam. I know the odds aren't great, but let me dream dammit! :pray:

It's more likely to happen than MG TV Wing suits, for whatever that's worth. :v:

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Got the RX-78-2 Cucuruz Doan's island ver. done this week. Just a recolor of The Origin model so a pretty good build tho the shield/hand for it are kind of a pain.

Nullkigan
Jul 3, 2009
Doing some Flame Snow decals, and I think I might be doing something wrong. They're INSTANTLY welding themselves to the surface before I can adjust their position. If Bandai adhesive is too weak for some tastes, this stuff is way, way too strong.

Instructions are warm water for 30 seconds, which is fine, and they come off the backing paper as easily as I'm used to.

It's a bit too warm right now (about 32 C / 90 F indoors) which could be affecting it? But I'd still expect a little more live time before the adhesive reactivates fully.

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy
I just built the MG Unicorn Banshee, which seemed extremely fiddly and not super fun. Was it due to being a 2012 release, or the weird transformation gimmick? IDK. Trying to decide on the next MG to tackle (did a couple palate cleanser HGs in the meantime). I have the Nu Ver. Ka, Sinanju Stein Ver. Ka, and Freedom 2.0. I'm wondering if the Ver Kas will exhibit the same qualities that turned me off of the Banshee, even though I can't put my finger on them. Wondering if I should save them and keep burning through a bunch of low-end HG/EG stuff just to practice techniques on. Learning to airbrush, panel line, scribe, decal, simple weather etc. and trying to take small steps, like do one skill per kit, gently caress it up a bunch and come up the learning curve so at least I've gotten the stupid new mistakes out and I'm not trying to learn the techniques on something I'm "caring" about. I think I'm up to like 4 EG and 2 HG Barbatos that I got for like $8 and $11 respectively that I can still dumpster to learn things. Saving an RG Sazabi, RG Hi-Nu, MG Barbatos, and a FM Aerial to tryhard on at some point.

Think the Ver Kas will be frustrating? Probably just decal, panel line, call it good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
The pre-EX MG Unicorns are known for being kind of trashy — execution fell well short of ambition, there. Most (not all) Ver.Ka are considerably less janky.