Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

SlimGoodbody posted:

You know twenty people who died of COVID? That seems abnormally high to me, but maybe I'm just lucky.

no mate I know twenty dead friends and three of them are dead from Covid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

PoundSand posted:

My groceries just haven't gone up by 40%.

okay that’s all you had to say about your little anecdote that factors in extra special prices and couponing and somehow you were doing all that before and it wasn’t making any difference because I sure as gently caress was doing the same and a loving couponed loaded, only buying poo poo on sale shop has indeed gone from costing me $65 a week to a loving hundred and that’s not even mentioning RENT OR BILLS OR THE COST OF ANYONE ELSES LABOR

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

i am harry posted:

no mate I know twenty dead friends and three of them are dead from Covid

Ah, that sucks buddy, I'm sorry you have experienced so much loss.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

PoundSand posted:

My groceries just haven't gone up by 40%. I can point to particular items that have had such an increase or even more, but on an aggregate it's simply not that high for me. I'm not trying to "normalize" anything I'm just legitimately confused with this individual point. Chicken wasn't costing me 30 cents a pound even a decade ago. I see it with stuff like rent/cars, an apartment I got in 2014 for example was 700/mo is 1200/mo now but I can still buy a sack of onions from winco 3lbs for 1 dollar.

you don’t actually have to be like this you know

Elem7
Apr 12, 2003
der
Dinosaur Gum

PoundSand posted:

Not to say things haven't been costing more and more for general groceries but some of this kind of stuff I struggle to empathize with.

I think you're getting trained a little hard overall, I agree there's a lot of regional variance in how various prices have shot up and especially shortages, but this bit here of your post really doesn't come off well, imagine if someone had come in saying they can't emphasize with people venting about the crazy cost of housing because their mortgage is so reasonable.

The food prices you describe aren't something I've seen in many years even pre-COVID, don't know when I've last seen sub-$1 meat of any kind and our onion prices are 3 times what you described at Fred Meyers, which locally I'd place 1 step above Walmart which represents the floor for grocery prices here.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Jesus.

Our $680 a month unit in 2011 is $1630 now

Wish our poo poo had only gone up 200

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Side question: is the rent explosion in the USA a reflection of true inflation or demand exceeding supply?

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Paradoxish posted:

tbh I think crazy poo poo like eggs briefly going insane broke some brains, because those massive increases really helped to normalize all the other much smaller but still wildly substantial price increases on everything else

it briefly felt like everything was about to spiral completely out of control and instead it was just the misery dial being cranked up a little past 11

they are also trying to raise the set points for a bunch of goods. if you look at prices there will be a much higher price nobody is paying like 18-19 bucks for a six pack of cider. they are trying to establish those prices that they aren’t really charging as the prices in our brains for various goods. they always have a discount on those prices.

they’re still going to try to get what we pay up to those prices. it’s unclear if that will be successful, but if it is done things have higher to go.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
relevant: https://www.theguardian.com/society/2023/sep/04/poor-people-surviving-not-living-as-uk-social-contract-collapses-says-report

quote:

Poor people ‘surviving not living’ as UK social contract collapses, says report

A food bank being set up. The report highlights the rise in the proportion of poor people experiencing ‘deep poverty’. Photograph: Jon Santa Cruz/Rex/Shutterstock
Poverty
Poor people ‘surviving not living’ as UK social contract collapses, says report

The collapse of the UK’s social contract is leaving millions of low-income families “surviving not living” and forced to endure unacceptable levels of poverty, according to an independent cross-party report.

The Poverty Strategy Commission, which seeks to forge a new national political consensus on reducing poverty, and which includes former ministers from the three main parties, says poverty levels are too high and hardship is becoming more extreme. It warns a “more of the same” approach to poverty in the future will fail.

It estimates the broad annual cost of significantly reducing poverty in the UK at £36bn – equivalent to £6,000 a year for 6 million families in poverty – a figure reached through a combination of benefits and wage increases, and investment to lower housing and energy costs, and improved health services.

The interim report of the commission, published on Tuesday, seeks to put poverty reduction back on the party political agenda before the next general election. It is concerned at the lack of urgency from the two main parties over the scale and nature of poverty, and society’s failure to offer adequate protection to its poorest.

The report says not only have overall relative poverty rates barely budged at between 21% and 24% over the past two decades, but even in areas where some progress was made – such as reducing pensioner and single-parent poverty – they have started to go into reverse.

It also highlights the rise in the proportion of people in poverty experiencing “deep poverty” – measured as at least 50% below the poverty line. It says nearly a third (31%) of those officially in hardship are in deep poverty and struggling to buy sufficient food, energy and clothes, pay rent and meet other everyday bills.

While the government often implies there is a “social contract” between state and citizen, the commission says in practice this does not exist, noting that the social security system routinely fails to protect people from poverty even when they are working, are unable to work through disability, or are pensioners.

Its interim recommendations include a 5% uplift in benefits and wages for people in poverty, outside any inflation increases, although it says poverty cannot be tackled by raising incomes alone, and highlights housing and childcare costs, the additional costs of disability, and energy and travel costs as areas to be addressed.

The chair of the commission, Lady Philippa Stroud, is a Tory peer and former political adviser to Iain Duncan Smith when he was welfare secretary between 2010 and 2016. She put the commission together to try to forge a new political momentum for tackling poverty, and attempt to engineer broad agreement over how it should be done.

She said: “Poverty in the UK is too high and the experiences of many people in poverty are now getting worse. Governments of all colours have worked hard to change that picture, but as a society, we have failed to make significant progress.”
Children at school
More children expected to arrive at UK schools with dirty clothes and hair
Read more

The commission, which has been meeting for 18 months, includes the Conservative MP and former work and pensions secretary Stephen Crabb, the former Liberal Democrat MP and coalition minister David Laws, and the Labour MP and former Treasury minister Stephen Timms. Thinktanks from left and right, charities including the Trussell Trust food bank network, and academic experts are also members.

The commission member Miatta Fahnbulleh, the head of the New Economics Foundation, said: “Everyone in 21st-century Britain should be able to afford the basics they need to avoid poverty. It’s shameful that instead millions of families are on the edge of destitution.”

She added: “In recent years, we’ve made little progress in tackling the causes of poverty: low wages, an inadequate social security system and sky-rocketing housing costs. As the commission shows, the solutions are there to tackle these issues. What we need now is the collective will.”

The final report of the commission is expected to be published at the end of the year.

Mel Stride, the secretary of state for work and pensions said: “We have helped nearly two million people out of absolute poverty after housing costs since 2010, including 400,000 children, and it’s absolutely right we have a joined-up approach to ensure this downward trend continues.

“Our record financial support - benefits and pensions up by 10.1%, £900 in direct Cost of Living payments to some of the most financially vulnerable, and our boost to the National Living Wage – has cushioned those most in need from the worst of the cost of living pressures and we will continue to support them.

“I look forward to reading the commission’s full report next year, and continuing with a collaborative approach across government and society to reduce poverty and support the most vulnerable.”

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2023/sep/02/australian-households-on-six-figure-incomes-can-now-only-afford-13-of-homes

quote:

Australian households on six-figure incomes can now only afford 13% of homes
New report shows housing affordability has reached its lowest levels in decades as market continues to rebound

Rising interest rates and surging home prices have seen Australian housing affordability crash to its lowest levels in decades, according to a new report.

A household earning the median income of $105,000 can now only comfortably afford 13% of homes on the market, the lowest share since the relevant data was first collected in 1995, according to property data company PropTrack.

Three years ago, the median income household could afford almost 40% of homes – which includes houses and units – for sale.

“It has been an enormous paradigm shift,” said Paul Ryan, senior economist at PropTrack.

PropTrack’s Housing Affordability Report assumes that a house is affordable if a median household does not need to spend more than 25% on mortgage payments after putting down a 20% deposit.

In New South Wales a median income household can only do that for 7% of home sales in 2022-23. In Victoria it’s 9%, Queensland 16%, South Australia 13%, Western Australia 22%, Tasmania 5%, the Northern Territory 46% and ACT 13%.

A median income household now needs to spend about one-third of its income on mortgage repayments to buy a median-priced home – the highest level since 1990.

Ryan said: “Throughout the pandemic, when interest rates decreased, it was a great time for housing affordability and saw record numbers of first time buyers entering the market since 2008.

“Since interest rates have increased and home prices have gone up, the data shows us how few homes are affordable. It’s quite astounding.”

The time it takes to save for a deposit is also at near record highs. If a household on the median income saved 20% of their earnings, it would take almost six years to gather enough money for a 20% deposit on a median priced home.

Low- and middle-income households were facing “incredibly stretched” conditions, the report says. A household earning $64,000 a year could now afford only 3% of homes on the market.

The rapid fall in the ability of Australians to buy a home comes alongside a crisis in rental affordability, where the proportion of income needed for lease payments is at its highest since June 2014.
woman looking out of window

Since the affordability crash, Ryan said most home purchases were coming from buyers already in the market using the increased value of their homes to upgrade. Figures released yesterday by CoreLogic showed house prices increasing for the sixth consecutive month.

“Something has to change,” Ryan said. “If the Australian dream is moving into home ownership then the way we can push prices down is by building more homes, rather than asking how we can throw money at first home buyers in the short term.”

Maiy Azize, a spokesperson for Everybody’s Home, a coalition of housing, homelessness and welfare organisations, said Australia was becoming a country where “only the most wealthy can avoid housing stress”.

For families on lower incomes, the small percentage of homes they could technically afford – such as one bedroom units – were likely unsuitable, she said.

And although one million homes have been built in the last 10 years – outstripping population growth – she said governments had played almost no role in making those homes affordable, with tax settings favouring investors, rather than people looking to buy a house to live in.

Earlier this week, the Real Estate Institute of Australia (REA) said new ABS figures showing a 17-month low in inflation suggested the RBA should not need to further raise interest rates.

But the REA president, Hayden Groves, said there remained sustained pressures in the real estate market.

“New dwelling prices rose 5.9% in the 12 months to July, reflecting stubbornly high labour and material costs,” he said.

“However, the rate of price growth is easing due to a softening in new demand and improvements in the supply of materials.

“Rent prices edged up to 7.6% in the 12 months to July 2023, up from 7.3% in June, reflecting increasing demand for rental properties and tight rental markets across the nation.”

Xaris has issued a correction as of 06:48 on Sep 6, 2023

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

DancingShade posted:

Side question: is the rent explosion in the USA a reflection of true inflation or demand exceeding supply?

neither, though overall inflation obviously affects it

landlords are greedy scum and control enforcement structures

Novasol
Jul 27, 2006

DancingShade posted:

The latter, mainly driven by investment firms snapping up all available properties by paying in cash and then significantly jacking up prices for easy profit.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

DancingShade posted:

The bigger question is what does "true inflation" even mean? If a cartel decides to raise prices, inflation results. Does that not count as true inflation? Do the wise and mighty economists bless particular price increases as appropriately inflationary and others as needless gouging? No. It's all "true inflation" because inflation is just a measure of the dollar being worth less, and price hikes are a big way that we get there

It's also a result of housing shortages, appropriation of perfectly good housing as bullshit short-term rentals and vacation homes, the steady and long-term decline of the availability of public housing on a per capita basis, etc.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

DancingShade posted:

Imagine that you are the only company who owns chicken laying eggs and thus control all production of eggs. Now let's say humans have to consume eggs every day or they die of scurvy aids.

You could, and should, raise egg prices to the highest you can and keep raising them until you reach an equilibrium where a % of people are just deciding to die of scurvy aids instead of paying the highest price you're selling at. When the profit lost by [# people] forgoing to buy eggs at [X price] to die of scurvy equals equals the profit gained by raising [X price], you are now at equilibrium. You don't know exactly what [X Price] is but it goes up every year so you just keep raising it until it looks like the profit gained by raising prices is equal or less to the profit lost by people choosing not to pay egg price and die instead. Otherwise you're leaving FREE profit on the table

much like 5 balls at the edge of a cliff, housing works the same way with one key difference: you can tax write off the people choosing to die of scurvy as lost profit so there's really no reason not to just keep raising it.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Xaris posted:

Imagine that you are the only company who owns chicken laying eggs and thus control all production of eggs. Now let's say humans have to consume eggs every day or they die of scurvy aids.

You could, and should, raise egg prices to the highest you can and keep raising them until you reach an equilibrium where a % of people are just deciding to die of scurvy aids instead of paying the highest price you're selling at. When the profit lost by [# people] forgoing to buy eggs at [X price] to die of scurvy equals equals the profit gained by raising [X price], you are now at equilibrium. You don't know exactly what [X Price] is but it goes up every year so you just keep raising it until it looks like the profit gained by raising prices is equal or less to the profit lost by people choosing not to pay egg price and die instead. Otherwise you're leaving FREE profit on the table

much like 5 balls at the edge of a cliff, housing works the same way with one key difference: you can tax write off the people choosing to die of scurvy as lost profit so there's really no reason not to just keep raising it.

Got you. So the rampant investor class flipping and ever increasing need for rental revenue to cover the flip related overhead increases are ever increasing the squeeze.

I'm sure this will end calmly and cooly.

(Also thanks to everyone else replying)

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

in addition to all the above, just want to add that there's some collective pressure from individual homeowners as well due to the fact that home equity is pretty much the only safety net you have in USA, *especially* for retirement. (obviously it's not a great safety net, but for many people they subconsciously realize it's all they've got)

i wouldn't say that's as big a factor as, say, housing and zoning policies, fed rates, etc, but it definitely makes existing homeowners more amenable to such things driving prices up because they see it as more eggs in their retirement basket and whatever

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Xaris posted:

Yeah, but also it's never really just two curves intersecting like economists love to pretend. Marx for example, when he was bringing the value of a good into relation with its market price didn't make any stronger claim than that there is one level of prices that will ruin the capitalist and a second one that can't be borne by the market, but between those two a lot can happen. He certainly didn't expect goods to ever be sold at exaxtly their value.
And really, even if you search for a purely optimal solution you're not going to end up moving along two curves if you're serious. Because the higher egg price is someone's income and this someone has a very different demand curve than the egg buyer.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
The problem with every perfect philosophical solution is those bastard humans that get involved.

munce
Oct 23, 2010

the rental situation seems the same in most places now

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-08-26/how-the-rental-market-broke-can-it-be-fixed/102767494

quote:

Leo Patterson Ross from the Tenants’ Union of New South Wales describes the market as “broken”.

...that’s precisely the problem. “Houses are being treated as an asset,” Patterson Ross says.
“The right to make an income off that property needs to be balanced against people’s need for a home. That’s where we’ve gone wrong.”

reckon that pretty much sums it up.

also a different story from the same news page

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-09-06/housing-crisis-medium-high-density-development-730/102818054

quote:

Sean and Jane paid $720,000 for an apartment with no car parks and shared laundry. It was their path out of renting

lol. what a great and excellently functioning system we have

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah my dream as a young person would be living like a pauper to eventually die in an unfurnished concrete box I finally own after 50 years of crippling interest payments.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

i am harry posted:

I like how all the western businesses created or bought all the news media so they can write stories to themselves about how great they are doing and how badly china is getting on

bagual posted:

They just keep posting it because some rubes can't help but fall for it every single time, just look at shrike's post history or search china crisis on youtube, it's been half a decade since CHYNA DOOM :yooge: is a mainstay westaboo talking point despite every "prediction" being wrong

Media/ruling class predictions/hopes about "CHINA DOOM" are quite literally no different than this thread's predictions/hopes about "AMERICA DOOM". Everyone is motivated by their stupid little ideology and has been screaming stuff at the top of their lungs based purely on ~~vibes~~, and shouting down anyone who disagrees.

That said, while China's economy can go either way in the short/medium term, in the long term they have a significant problem in the form of demographics. Their one-child policy hosed them over pretty hard, resulting in a pretty terrible gender imbalance. On top of that, their population growth seems to have stalled, which means that in the next couple of decades they'll have a massive number of old people and not enough young people to support those old people economically. This is exacerbated by their current insanely high youth unemployment rate: young people who should otherwise be working, gaining skills and experience and maybe starting their own businesses to build wealth for the future are instead unemployed. And unlike a lot of other issues, this isn't a problem a country can solve by throwing massive amounts of money at. So the next few decades will be... interesting for them.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
i love that the lesson from 2007 bubble exploding was "we must do it again but this time make sure it's out of reach for poors"

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Truga posted:

i love that the lesson from 2007 bubble exploding was "we must do it again but this time make sure it's out of reach for poors"

I hope you washed your keyboard after using the "P" word.

Or better yet, got a new one. After all washing things is for the help.

There is probably 25% of a joke in there but I can't put it together right now.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Elem7 posted:

I think you're getting trained a little hard overall, I agree there's a lot of regional variance in how various prices have shot up and especially shortages, but this bit here of your post really doesn't come off well, imagine if someone had come in saying they can't emphasize with people venting about the crazy cost of housing because their mortgage is so reasonable.

The food prices you describe aren't something I've seen in many years even pre-COVID, don't know when I've last seen sub-$1 meat of any kind and our onion prices are 3 times what you described at Fred Meyers, which locally I'd place 1 step above Walmart which represents the floor for grocery prices here.

I do like how our local Safeway has redesigned itself into a fortress, complete with armed guards and an inner sanctum where the high value goods are protected by lock and key.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

sullat posted:

I do like how our local Safeway has redesigned itself into a fortress, complete with armed guards and an inner sanctum where the high value goods are protected by lock and key.

This is the way of the future.

In time all shops will be large concrete blocks, shoppers won't even go inside but pay at an external hole in the wall and wait for their paid goods to be delivered from internal stocks to a delivery slot. Good luck getting home with your food starch and pharma drugs when the cyber booster gangs ambush you to get that sweet, sweet cornstarch from your travel pouch.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

DancingShade posted:

I hope you washed your keyboard after using the "P" word.

Or better yet, got a new one. After all washing things is for the help.

There is probably 25% of a joke in there but I can't put it together right now.

i did buy a new keyboard recently actually. got it fairly cheap on a clearance sale, again. it's one of those stupid $160 keyboards with mechanical switches but i got it for $60

the old one was over 15 years old and i wanted extra buttons for music/volume control, and now i use the old one at work lol

it's incredible how a far a tiny bit of patience goes these days. new keyboard model launches and they try to get rid of old ones that are just as good at ridiculous prices

fibblins
Dec 21, 2007

party swan

Paradoxish posted:

Something that's become fairly obvious from reading this thread is that there's a large amount of regional variation in groceries, both in terms of availability and cost. I was seeing massively noticeable supply disruptions in my (technically very urban) area 2021-2022 when there were people in this thread posting constantly about how they weren't noticing any problems. We've got grocery budgets going back over five years and we've easily doubled our grocery costs despite making substitutions for cheaper brands and relying a lot more heavily on food we grow ourselves.

It's weird. I don't really doubt anyone's experiences, but I can also say for an absolute fact that our food costs have doubled despite buying less/cheaper.

The price difference in produce was pretty striking when I moved back to the northeast from west TX. Corn in Texas was dirt cheap at around three ears for $1 where about the same amount costs $5 here. Conversely, mushrooms were expensive in TX, costing around $5 for two large portabella caps whereas here I can get two large caps for $1.75 at ALDI. I miss having cheap corn but having cheap mushrooms is better imo

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
Some grocery chains gouge regularly like safeway and giant eagle or "iggle" as the locals call it.

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011

SKULL.GIF posted:

It's too late in the evening for me to do the work but honestly just check the replies here https://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/16b4sk5/how_are_single_income_households_surviving_in/

Doomsday Economics

quote:

Beany beans is my struggle meal..beans with some more maybe even different beans, boiled in water with some salt.

I hate it but it usually means my paycheck hits in a day or two.

if this was in spanish it'd be proof cuba was holocausting it's people

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
being unemployed owns. i salute the brave chinese youth and their quest to live full lives.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Paradoxish posted:

Something that's become fairly obvious from reading this thread is that there's a large amount of regional variation in groceries, both in terms of availability and cost. I was seeing massively noticeable supply disruptions in my (technically very urban) area 2021-2022 when there were people in this thread posting constantly about how they weren't noticing any problems. We've got grocery budgets going back over five years and we've easily doubled our grocery costs despite making substitutions for cheaper brands and relying a lot more heavily on food we grow ourselves.

It's weird. I don't really doubt anyone's experiences, but I can also say for an absolute fact that our food costs have doubled despite buying less/cheaper.

The variation isn't only regional. It's also per neighborhood. Grocery chains set prices based on what their clientele is willing and able to pay. So there are a lot of situations where, if you're in a relatively wealthier neighborhood, you can drive a mile or two further to a poorer neighborhood's store (belonging to the same chain) and end up paying literally 20-30% less during checkout for the same items. I have a friend that does this, and he said over the course of a year he saved almost $1k (minus the extra gas and time etc.).

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

RealityWarCriminal posted:

being unemployed owns. i salute the brave chinese youth and their quest to live full lives.

Can one really live a full life with an empty stomach? Makes u think.

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

I don't understand this. Is this a made up graph or are they just paying their loan payments on their credit cards? I've been under the assumption that folks were not going to be able to make payments.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

NeonPunk posted:

I don't understand this. Is this a made up graph or are they just paying their loan payments on their credit cards? I've been under the assumption that folks were not going to be able to make payments.

Probably nobody in this thread is aware of this due to all the hooting and hollering, but the Biden administration, after having their loan forgiveness plan struct down by SCOTUS, still managed to do a lot to reduce the repayment burden: https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing...s-of-borrowers/

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

munce posted:

the rental situation seems the same in most places now

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-08-26/how-the-rental-market-broke-can-it-be-fixed/102767494

reckon that pretty much sums it up.

also a different story from the same news page

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-09-06/housing-crisis-medium-high-density-development-730/102818054

lol. what a great and excellently functioning system we have

"the right to make an income off that property"

verdict: :thermidor:

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Azuth0667 posted:

Some grocery chains gouge regularly like safeway and giant eagle or "iggle" as the locals call it.

go birds

thats not candy
Mar 10, 2010

Hell Gem

NeonPunk posted:

several people i know with good salaries haven't been paying during covid, but just dumped a bunch of savings into it over the last two months to pay off as much as they could (or all of it) before interest starts accumulating.

i imagine there are a fair number of people who were holding out for debt cancellation but had plenty of savings, or are just resigned to the fact that they'll never be able to buy a house, so paid off their loans instead

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Xaris posted:

dambn io shoulda thought of that. oh well, going to invent an anti-anti-woke eft and take libs money instead because americans only care about culture war bullshit while the elite strip the country bare and leave everyone homeless

so i might as well get rich off dems
anybody wanna tell him?:allears:
https://g.co/kgs/t7X6vz

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

NeonPunk posted:

People are paying their loans. The American people are rich and resilient.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Congress To Sell 1-Million-Barrel Emergency Gasoline Stock

quote:

Congress is preparing to sell an emergency gasoline reserve that was set up in the wake of Hurricane Sandy as it has never been used and, because of that, the point of its existence has become questionable.

Bloomberg recalls that the Northeast Gasoline Supply Reserve was set up in 2014 after Hurricane Sandy cut through refineries and fuel terminals, which resulted in fuel shortages in some parts of New York. Some fuel stations were left without gasoline for a whole month.

Love to sell off the emergency reserves because a crisis where they'll be needed hasn't come along soon enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Mr Hootington posted:

People are paying their loans. The American people are rich and resilient.

The Premium Debtor is healthy