Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Al-Saqr posted:

Is that good or bad?

Sorry I took so long in responding to this. I mean as in good. Too often you see folk use very grim/gritty colours in miniatures so seeing something pop like this is pretty neat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I really liked Duncan’s Tyranid scheme/s

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Aggressors own

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Are they the ham fisted chunky ones?

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Cease to Hope posted:

what if stormtroopers were fat and had poo poo glued haphazardly to them
This is every Space Marine, please narrow your joke down

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

gravid marines

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

gravid marines

With some of the weird places the warham community goes this line of thought could get really awkward.

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

Building 1k grey knights that I’ve meant to for a decade now. Using dreadnoughts and terminators, because a “death wing” style army always seemed Cool.

Just read the rules for an IK Armiger and compared it to a GK venerable dreadnought and uh, wow. Way more wounds, toughness, invuln, movement, OC, and… cheaper(!?!).

I knew balance was all over the place, but unless I’m missing something, that’s just bonkers. Especially since I could just take the armiger instead? (I will not, dreads look too cool).

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Froghammer posted:

This is every Space Marine, please narrow your joke down

what if they had three more layers of poo poo glued to them and a silhouette like grimace cosplaying as a battlemech

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

coelomate posted:

Building 1k grey knights that I’ve meant to for a decade now. Using dreadnoughts and terminators, because a “death wing” style army always seemed Cool.

Just read the rules for an IK Armiger and compared it to a GK venerable dreadnought and uh, wow. Way more wounds, toughness, invuln, movement, OC, and… cheaper(!?!).

I knew balance was all over the place, but unless I’m missing something, that’s just bonkers. Especially since I could just take the armiger instead? (I will not, dreads look too cool).

The dreadnought benefits from Grey Knight stratagems and faction rules and the armiger doesn't.

It doesn't have Teleport Assault or whatever so you can't redeploy it for free, but it is a PSYKER unit meaning it can use mists of Deimos to move when the enemy gets near. It's also worth noting the Dreadnought is literally the only source of re-roll 1s in the GK army and it let's all infantry RR1s to hit and wound.

The real question is even if you take an Armiger, what's it going to do for you?

The Autocannon is OK but at -1AP it unlikely to punch through tough targets which is the main reason to take the dreadnought (the lascannon and multi melta).

145 points gets you another strike squad, and nearly gets you some interceptors. GK is in a bad place right now and you only stand a chance by ignoring killing stuff and trying to grab objectives. Both are probably more useful right now than the 4 Autocannon shots the armiger gives you.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Cease to Hope posted:

what if they had three more layers of poo poo glued to them and a silhouette like grimace cosplaying as a battlemech

Sounds like most Primaris Marines, might want to narrow it down further.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

bird food bathtub posted:

With some of the weird places the warham community goes this line of thought could get really awkward.

the Sons of Mpreggus

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
The launch box gravis captain is one of my favourite newer gw models. Dude is buff as hell.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
I decided to get the urge to play Eldar out of my system before the expected nerfs and had a 2pt loss vs. Thousand Sons.

Was playing what I would think is a "fluffy" force (guardians in wave serpents, pair of fire prisms, 3 war walkers, windriders, wing autarch, warlocks, farseer, plus a bike version of both).

Like, the matchup maybe wasn't ideal but maybe the skill floor is overstated? Or more likely I've discovered the mythical bad eldar list.

Fate Dice- Feels like one of those things that would've been more impactful in a different matchup. Offensively, had no problem hitting and wounding with my big guns and everything else was high volume, with no crit effects so I barely used them for this. Defensively, this really wasn't a game where my opponent was making big hits- outside of some melee in the late game most of my stuff died to mortal wounds or to a super high volume of ap-1 wounds.
War Walkers- honestly rule because of their weird resilience. Mostly died from mortal wounds.
Fire Prisms- kinda did gently caress all. Magnus tanked everything on the focused shots, decided to switch it up later on and realized the dispersed profile is just a shuriken cannon with random shots (and thus bad for trying to shoot terminators with).
Wave Serpent- shooting kinda sucks now but also an unattended one *will* gently caress you up between blowing its shield and a tank shock.
Guardians- feel weird with a 4+ save, shuriken catapults for some reason no longer feel like the volume of fire weapon they used to be. I kinda miss 20-elf squads and the stratagems that boosted their resilience though.
Warlocks- the -2 to charge is clutch, and the not-heavy flamer is nice to have in your back pocket, now if I could only use my fate dice to roll number of attacks...
Farseers- I mean the utility is obvious. Glad Eldritch Storm is a usable thing again.
Autarch- the reaper launcher makes me sad.

Magnus took exactly one weapon hit the entire game. He died from the aforementioned suicide wave serpent and then a lowly guardian plonking a grenade at him.
This was just a consequence of my weapon selection (made back in 7e babeyyyy) but oh man I did not have the tools to deal with a brick of Terminators. I was *expecting* this to be a thing the Fire Prism's second profile would be good at but I didn't realize that they dropped the AP to -1.
Witchblades continue to be incredibly whelming.
Phantasm is so loving useful.
Sweet jesus my opponent's dice were running hot on his 4++s.

Der Waffle Mous fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Sep 6, 2023

Tangy Zizzle
Aug 22, 2007
- brad
a well piloted army can beat the meta, without a doubt

especially now that Eldar have had a few long weeks of being top dog - it's a well studied problem at this point

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

TSons are also one of the best non-eldar armies in the game so it’s not like you got clubbed by a baby seal

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Der Waffle Mous posted:

Was playing what I would think is a "fluffy" force (guardians in wave serpents, pair of fire prisms, 3 war walkers, windriders, wing autarch, warlocks, farseer, plus a bike version of both).

[...]

Or more likely I've discovered the mythical bad eldar list.

You just made a bad list. Most of the Eldar lineup is extremely tame, but a big chunk of it is a flaming pile of bullshit. You carefully avoided taking any of the good poo poo except fire prisms, wing autarch, and war walkers. And even then, War Walkers can be bad depending on your weapon options.

Guardians in particular are dogshit. They had a role before the first nerf in that they generated Fate Dice, but now you can't really use your Fate Dice fast enough for that to matter.

Fate Dice aren't very good unless you have some extremely impactful rolls to spend it on, and D-Cannons and Wraithknights provide these impactful rolls aplenty.

Eldar aren't so busted that you can just take a random list and stomp everyone, but it is very easy to make a list that stomps everyone.

As a eldar player I'm kinda worried that once they smash the good poo poo with a huge and well deserved nerf the faction will be kinda bad. But the list of good poo poo is extremely long.

e: Also yeah TSons are extremely good, too. A bad Eldar list going against a good TSons list will have a bad time.

Geisladisk fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Sep 6, 2023

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

Yeah I consciously left my wraithknight at home.

Feeling a little vindicated for that post I made a few months back about the eldars' internal balance being real loving wild though.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

the eldar index is ENORMOUS. It’s 126 pages. By comparison, TSons are 62, Sisters are 76, even CSM and Necrons (who each have lots of options) are only 106.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
I can only name like 7 eldar units off the top of my head how much stuff can they have?!

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

I can’t understand how you would enjoy space marines in general and not like aggressors. They look so cool

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Aggressors look super cool I agree.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Goddamn it the other thing about Adeptus Ridiculous is that the one guy sounds exactly like Fry.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
Aggressors look like walking eggs. They're not old enough yet for how fugly they are to translate into off-kilter coolness. Give them thirty years and I'm sure we'll consider them charming, though.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

the eldar index is ENORMOUS. It’s 126 pages. By comparison, TSons are 62, Sisters are 76, even CSM and Necrons (who each have lots of options) are only 106.

1- I mean its to be expected but more that there's a *lot* of what were previously bread-and-butter units that are mostly just cheap chaff/ablative wounds now propped up by stuff that synergizes so loving well with the faction ability that they're defining the meta.

2- Honest to god learning that necrons have that many options now is like a shock to my system and I regularly play the drat army. I need to get my brain out of 3rd edition.

3- feel like the aggressor silhouette would've looked better if their guns were slung under the wrists instead of on the side.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
Aggressors suffer from trying not to be terminators while mostly still having the same general idea and same armament. They could have done one big powerfist and a gun on the other arm and they'd look better, but then they'd be even more obviously an attempt at replacing terminators with something new and that would have made them worse. Come to think of it, Centurions are in the same boat. (Although part of the Centurion problem seems to be plastic budget -- there's one early art piece where they're proportioned with longer legs and they look great, but all subsequent art matches the models and looks bad. There's an alternate reality where GW sprung for an extra half-sprue on the centurion kit to give them better-proportioned limbs and filled out the extra space with another gun option or two and they're beloved.)

I love me some Heavy Intercessors, though. That is a much better realization of the same general armor design.

Stephenls fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Sep 6, 2023

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I don't even have an Eldar army (yet, they're on my potential list) and I would like just the absurdly broken poo poo to be fixed without the entire faction taking a nerf bat to the face and ending up trash tier, as is GW's usual wont.

edit: also new warp spider models

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

This one for realsies. Those sculpts are old enough to drink.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Froghammer posted:

arent those sculpts from the days they had traces of lead in them

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

aggressors are kinda cool if you’re playing salamanders and using flamestorms, because only cool dudes play salamanders

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

I assembled some Inceptors today and my opinion on the models has changed: they are Cool and Good.

Aggressors are still Bad and Stinky.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Al-Saqr posted:

They're from 1994. Them and the couple of other Eldar holdouts from that same release are literally the second oldest models sold by GW.

The oldest is the Skaven plague priest from 1993

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Froghammer posted:

They're literally as old as I am

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!

a fatguy baldspot posted:

I can’t understand how you would enjoy space marines in general and not like aggressors. They look so cool

They would look cool if they didn't have those giant novelty guns strapped to their hands.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Der Waffle Mous posted:

Yeah I consciously left my wraithknight at home.

Feeling a little vindicated for that post I made a few months back about the eldars' internal balance being real loving wild though.

Could've brought the Wraithguard brick tho

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Al-Saqr posted:

nah, they were all white metal by that point

Geisladisk posted:

also the globadier, now sold as "Skryre Acolyte", and the weapon teams too (except for the mortar and drill).

the flat servitors with the claw were up until fairly recently still sold as finecast with the newer servitor-with-gun, and they were older than the finecast eldar too.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

I don't even have an Eldar army (yet, they're on my potential list) and I would like just the absurdly broken poo poo to be fixed without the entire faction taking a nerf bat to the face and ending up trash tier, as is GW's usual wont.

Oh yeah I sorta forgot Warp Spiders were good and being taken in tourney lists in 10th because in my brain I immediately thought "gently caress you GW with your old as poo poo models". Maybe they will get new models with the new codex which will also make them bad to take :)

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Sherbert Hoover posted:

They would look cool if they didn't have those giant novelty guns strapped to their hands.

The flamers I agree, the barrels stick out ahead of the fists which would make punching awkward. The bolters look fine bc the barrels are shorter.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008

a fatguy baldspot posted:

The flamers I agree, the barrels stick out ahead of the fists which would make punching awkward. The bolters look fine bc the barrels are shorter.
The sergeant's flamers have shorter barrels, suggesting maybe that they retract when it's time to throw hands.

Also they're Firebats, liking them is mandatory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Geisladisk posted:

They're from 1994. Them and the couple of other Eldar holdouts from that same release are literally the second oldest models sold by GW.

This guy looks really good for his age