Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I am a divine being and supernatural creatures or aliens have no right to intrude on my perception of reality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Snooze Cruise posted:

if i saw an alien i would just be normal about it

Yeah seriously yall, act like you've been there before (the alien ship's probing room), don't be embarassing

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

Baron von Eevl posted:

No, neither was Dracula being Vlad Tepes either. I think that one is all Francis Ford Coppola (the word "Dracula" was from texts about Vlad III but there's no evidence Stoker was particularly aware of that and he wasn't thought to be a vampire historically). I think the Judas thing is all Craven.

It's earlier than Coppola. Dracula being Vlad Tepes is explicit in the Turkish "translation" of Dracula in 1928 - Impaler Prince - which makes the protagonists heroes of the Turkish War of Independence fighting off an historical enemy of Turkey. That novel is the source material for the Dracula in Istanbul movie, which updates the plot to the 1950s.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Oh cool!

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Okay I have a question that’s been bothering me that’s only tangentially related to horror in that it involves an actor who does a lot of horror movies :

Does Thomas Jane owe some bad people money or what the hell is going on with that guy? People gotta work, zero judgement, that’s not what I mean. It’s that he’ll do just about anything and he does a lot. And he started suing Anne Heche’s estate right away for the repayment of a personal loan, or so random googling say? (I didn’t even know they had a relationship.)

It really seems like he’s trying to get Carlos the Eel his money before he has an accident. I don’t particularly care about his life and respect his privacy, but I’m awful curious. Taxes? Gambling? Does he sleep on top of it all like a dragon?

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Xiahou Dun posted:

Okay I have a question that’s been bothering me that’s only tangentially related to horror in that it involves an actor who does a lot of horror movies :

Does Thomas Jane owe some bad people money or what the hell is going on with that guy? People gotta work, zero judgement, that’s not what I mean. It’s that he’ll do just about anything and he does a lot. And he started suing Anne Heche’s estate right away for the repayment of a personal loan, or so random googling say? (I didn’t even know they had a relationship.)

It really seems like he’s trying to get Carlos the Eel his money before he has an accident. I don’t particularly care about his life and respect his privacy, but I’m awful curious. Taxes? Gambling? Does he sleep on top of it all like a dragon?

Maybe him and John Cusack owe the same people money.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Xiahou Dun posted:

Does Thomas Jane owe some bad people money or what the hell is going on with that guy?

I read an interview with him once around the time he starred in a Punisher fan film. Short version? Tom Jane loving LOVES being in movies, period. I'm convinced you could get him to be in a movie for a sandwich and a smile.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

This would be me

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

feedmyleg posted:

if i was an alien i would just be normal about it

https://i.imgur.com/P22hyAG.mp4

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

What are some good horrors where the monster is unambiguously the hero, outside of kaiju and yokai stuff?

Toxic Avenger, Shin Kamen Rider, Mechanical Violator Hakaider, Guyver, Robocop, the 2003 Hulk movie, you honestly get quite a few of these when you include films* that hybridize Horror with Superheroes(which have basically always been sibling genres anyways)

*if we include shows as well then we can add Kamen Rider Amazons and Kamen Rider Black Sun on this list as well

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

I'll watch this, mainly because I love the horror subgenre of 'British people find the most nightmarish thing they can think of, slightly more country British people'.

Yeah I figure there's going to be a good amount of Folk Horror in what I watch this fall

Hollismason posted:

If John Wick is a slasher movie then so is Taken

Need one of those galaxy brain gifs made for this ending with Rambo is a slasher

As I said earlier Slasher and Action Hero are two sides of the same coin

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

I read an interview with him once around the time he starred in a Punisher fan film. Short version? Tom Jane loving LOVES being in movies, period. I'm convinced you could get him to be in a movie for a sandwich and a smile.

I can respect the hell out of that.

Thank you. Curiosity assuaged.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

If anyone wants a BlueSky invite, they've got a pretty good horror crowd over there. Joe Lynch (dir. MAYHEM with Steve Yeun and Samara Weaving) posts there, as does Guillermo del Toro, although he only posts about his horror gunpla that he's building and painting, so basically GdT is the only person using social media correctly.

Shoot me a PM and the first two people I see when I log in tomorrow morning get a bluesky code. Also add me ( https://bsky.app/profile/shrecknet.bsky.social ) if you're already on the better bird site

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I want to see Lynch’s new film. It’s apparently going to be gross From Beyond Reanimator type lovecraft stuff.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Tell me more

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt21397580/

No trailer yet. Comes out in October

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I find that imagining David Lynch directing a scene out loud as you watch it, with his nasal shout, really diffuses the tension.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Confuse the alien by offering your hand in friendship.

And then when it goes to shake your hand and become pals…

BANG

Diamond Cutter

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

Any aliens or supernatural monsters would kill me easily. I know this about myself and accept it.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Bought a new smartTV that has a Tubi app, and man there is some good poo poo on here.

Watching 30 Days of Night right now, next up is Kill List.

Then probably Re-Animator, which I haven’t seen since the late 80s.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Re-Animator gets better with every watch. One of the best.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

Years ago my partner and I made a tongue-in-cheek horror movie alignment chart and let me tell you, it can be extremely fun arguing for things that are absolutely not horror movies.

You think The Terminator is anything other than a pure horror movie? You are dead to me.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

MrMojok posted:

You're in for a treat.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Jedit posted:

You think The Terminator is anything other than a pure horror movie? You are dead to me.

Oh no, I absolutely do. This was whipped up in a few minutes as a meme easily digestible for the masses.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

CelticPredator posted:

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt21397580/

No trailer yet. Comes out in October

I just visited the page and the trailer played? Looks good!

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

CelticPredator posted:

I want to see Lynch’s new film. It’s apparently going to be gross From Beyond Reanimator type lovecraft stuff.

You got my hopes up for a second there, I didn't realize you meant Joe, not David.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

MrMojok posted:

Bought a new smartTV that has a Tubi app, and man there is some good poo poo on here.

Watching 30 Days of Night right now, next up is Kill List.

Tubi rules

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

codes gone. I'll post more when I got more

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

drrockso20 posted:

Mechanical Violator Hakaider

This is one that absolutely rules, I love all the costume designs. I haven't had a chance to watch Shin Kamen Rider yet but I'm excited to check it out

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

MacheteZombie posted:

Yeah seriously yall, act like you've been there before (the alien ship's probing room), don't be embarassing

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Hollismason posted:

If I see a alien or anything that looks like an alien I will immediately attack with no quarter given and I will fight to kill.

I read in a book once years ago that to defend oneself against the greys' psychic attack you should offer them immediate mental violence, just like pictures of you rampaging around like doomguy beating the living poo poo out of space aliens

Presumably this is when you're immobilized, and if released you should make good on your claims or they will know you for a scrub

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Lol

WeaponX posted:

Tubi rules

I'm watching Followed on Tubi, enjoying it so far!

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

WeaponX posted:

Tubi rules

It's definitely been one of the better 'free signups' I've done.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Tubi is easily the best streaming horror service. It's got like 750 movies and I'd honestly say like 25% of it is good stuff. Some of it is bottom barrel horror but there's some real gems in there. I especially like that there's a large amount of Italian Giallo and Police films on there.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
The selection of classic horror is really amazing. It's not just 00s direct-to-DVD crap and more iterations of LavaShark vs. Acidantula that I was expecting. They've got Count Yorga!!!

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Hollismason posted:

25% of it is good stuff. Some of it is bottom barrel horror but there's some real gems in there.

Sounds like that adds up to 100% to me :confused:

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Tubi and Pluto.tv are where it's at.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Shudder is still my go-to streaming site when I wanna watch a good horror movie, but Tubi loving rules when I'm working from home and want to put on a bunch of wild obscure stuff in the background.

Am I going to sit down for 90 minutes to watch Dr. Giggles? Probably not. But you better believe I'll throw that on while I'm "listening" to a really painful conference call.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

A Fancy Hat posted:

Shudder is still my go-to streaming site when I wanna watch a good horror movie, but Tubi loving rules when I'm working from home and want to put on a bunch of wild obscure stuff in the background.

Am I going to sit down for 90 minutes to watch Dr. Giggles? Probably not. But you better believe I'll throw that on while I'm "listening" to a really painful conference call.

You should watch Dr. Giggles :mad: