Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Jerusalem posted:

Obligatory:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Brp5iwZoCoc

I absolutely love that "mission", it's such feelgood vibes.
Holy gently caress, thanks for that.

Not usually a :roflolmao: kind of guy, but goddamn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

dervival posted:

You're right in that release automation doesn't take a ton of work to build, but it does take some work to maintain; I can see that getting skimped on during crunch time, and if that starts falling apart it can cause everything to start crashing down fairly quickly. My last position wasn't game development but was software dev related in a team where that collapse had happened in the years past - there was documentation on the automation in the team wiki, but nothing functional or running.

Release automation is way out of my wheelhouse but I can only imagine how crushing it must be to execute a perfect roll-out and then watch everything grind to a halt as Nintendo/Microsoft/etc wait to approve the patch :v:

Tiramisu
Dec 25, 2006

Hey, where did you go!? Do you really dislike seeing my face that much!?

Rinkles posted:

One step closer to officially licensed R34 content being commonplace.

As usual, Randy Pitchford was doing this years before anyone else thought about it.

https://twitter.com/duvalmagic/status/821140723135352832?s=46

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

Fruits of the sea posted:

Release automation is way out of my wheelhouse but I can only imagine how crushing it must be to execute a perfect roll-out and then watch everything grind to a halt as Nintendo/Microsoft/etc wait to approve the patch :v:

well, given that role was for internal infrastructure at Microsoft, you could argue 100% of the downtime was waiting for MSFT to approve something at least, haha

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Tiramisu posted:

As usual, Randy Pitchford was doing this years before anyone else thought about it.

https://twitter.com/duvalmagic/status/821140723135352832?s=46

One of the oldest and best known things in marketing is that “Sex sells.” What Pitchford failed to realize is that, just like in real life, it’s off-putting if horny is also desperate.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

But what can you expect from a man literally named Randy.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Jerusalem posted:

Well in that case, here's another one that I hope you haven't seen, because I love it so.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Aj2Pt5vWT8
Is... is this what an acid trip is like?

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

People talking about a game is a symptom of the reason your game does well. That reason is not meeting expectations but beating them.

Starfield so far what little I have played isn't going to do that.

Zelda Totk, Bg3 loving slayed them

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Detective No. 27 posted:

But what can you expect from a man literally named Randy.

I guess someone getting sued for sex magic by minors for one.
Don't give gearbox money till his rear end is gone

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Reminder that Randy built a "magic" dungeon in his home and is very eager to take young apprentices whenever he can.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Anyone else kinda hyped for Lords of the Fallen?

Havent seen a ton of buzz about it, but I am hoping it delivers because it looks awesome

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Walked posted:

Havent seen a ton of buzz about it, but I am hoping it delivers because it looks awesome

It looks neat but I'm a little wary because a lot of folks are just hyping any soulslike as the next Elden Ring. Very cool that the genre broke out, hopeully LotF is good.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Fruits of the sea posted:

It looks neat but I'm a little wary because a lot of folks are just hyping any soulslike as the next Elden Ring. Very cool that the genre broke out, hopeully LotF is good.

Yeah; I'm not hyping it more than thinking it looks like it could have solid and tight gameplay (and some of the hands on previews support this) and the mechanics of the game (Umbral) look sweet. I'm not expecting anything beyond hoping its a solid 7/10 with solid controls and more of the art we've seen. Maybe that's too much, we'll see.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
Starfield is not doing it for me. First, everyone was joking it's going to be Skyrim in space, but I don't how many people actually expected it to be missing one of its best parts: the seamless open world. Second, the sci-fi veneer is visually nice but thin, the whole "ship in space" part feels like a proof of concept. Finally, the whole setting and story hook is babby's first sci-fi story so it's hard to get invested in at least that.

On the technical side, the game does not perform well even on 4090 while being full of the usual Bethesda jank, not much different from Morrowind-era awkard conversations, characters and animations. It also crashes to desktop, and the HDR is intentionally bad.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Walked posted:

I played it years ago, it was kind of meh.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Jack Trades posted:

I played it years ago, it was kind of meh.

They're probably talking about the upcoming sequel that's inexplicably named the same as the first

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

lordfrikk posted:

Starfield is not doing it for me. First, everyone was joking it's going to be Skyrim in space, but I don't how many people actually expected it to be missing one of its best parts: the seamless open world. Second, the sci-fi veneer is visually nice but thin, the whole "ship in space" part feels like a proof of concept. Finally, the whole setting and story hook is babby's first sci-fi story so it's hard to get invested in at least that.

On the technical side, the game does not perform well even on 4090 while being full of the usual Bethesda jank, not much different from Morrowind-era awkard conversations, characters and animations. It also crashes to desktop, and the HDR is intentionally bad.

The jokes about Skyrim in space are also kinda stupid. Yeah I don't want to play the same game from 12 years ago, I'd hope they could at least refine their formula a little bit, but it's like, two steps forward, three steps back.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Pigbuster posted:

They're probably talking about the upcoming sequel that's inexplicably named the same as the first

:thejoke:

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Didn't they add an s?

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I really enjoyed what I played of Starfield last night. I'm trying to embrace the differences between it and the other open world stuff because honestly even though I did enjoy walking from city to city in Oblivion, I don't think I ever did that in Skyrim, or if I did, it was unmemorable and not something I'd go out of my way to do again. That world just lacked the cohesive, bustling feeling that Oblivion's did.

It doesn't actually have HDR at all though, which sucks. I really hope they patch it in, but I fear their renderer is just stuck in SDR by nature.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Antigravitas posted:

I am actually a bit surprised so few game developers have leaned into release automation. It's not that hard to automatically build for all platforms whenever someone commits code or assets to version control, and it's also not that hard to build some automated benchmark mode and run tests each time. You can cut a public release from that and push it out as well, including auto-generated release notes.

Takes some work to build, but once you have it you can rapidly bugfix and release. Other software developers do it, and some indie developers (even some bigger ones, like the Warframe devs iirc) use that approach.

I'm gonna guess it's a little harder to set up a CI/CD pipeline when your payload is 150+ gb fully compressed (and way bigger with the raw art assets) compared to some fart app with 200mb of JavaScript.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Parallelwoody posted:

Didn't they add an s?

Lords of the Fallens

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Larian tried the rapid bugfix and release thing with one of the BG3 hotfixes and it ended up locking a bunch of people (including me) out of their saves for a couple of days because they had to roll it back. I will take weekly patches that go through proper QA please.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.
Since people are discussing RDR2: is there any way to alleviate the constant tapping when riding the horse? I am officially an old man and the galloping is destroying my forearm and shoulder to the point where I had to just stop playing. The accessibility options seem to specifically not cover horse galloping.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
IIRC you don't have to gallop (I don't think I ever did)

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Yeah just... don't and accept the stamina/speed penalty? It sounds like your arm comfort is worth more than a bit of gameplay aid

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Volte posted:

Larian tried the rapid bugfix and release thing with one of the BG3 hotfixes and it ended up locking a bunch of people (including me) out of their saves for a couple of days because they had to roll it back. I will take weekly patches that go through proper QA please.

The reason for that was an extremely unlikely compiler error and they have already adjusted their workflow to account for the possibility of that.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Brocktoon posted:

Since people are discussing RDR2: is there any way to alleviate the constant tapping when riding the horse? I am officially an old man and the galloping is destroying my forearm and shoulder to the point where I had to just stop playing. The accessibility options seem to specifically not cover horse galloping.

Was RDR2 released become "Switch mashing to holding" accessibility option became a thing? Because even though I'm perfectly able to mash I always turn that one because I just don't like mashing.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Brocktoon posted:

This looks like what you’re looking for if you’re willing to install a mod to fix it: https://www.nexusmods.com/reddeadredemption2/mods/1347

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Jack Trades posted:

The reason for that was an extremely unlikely compiler error and they have already adjusted their workflow to account for the possibility of that.
It's still indicative of the need for proper QA. Unlikely stuff happens. Deploying hotfixes to Steam (or really any client-side application) like you would one-touch deploy a webapp is just a recipe for disaster.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.

Jack Trades posted:

Was RDR2 released become "Switch mashing to holding" accessibility option became a thing? Because even though I'm perfectly able to mash I always turn that one because I just don't like mashing.

They have a "switch mashing to holding" accessibility option that specifically does not cover the horse galloping.

Macichne Leainig posted:

Yeah just... don't and accept the stamina/speed penalty? It sounds like your arm comfort is worth more than a bit of gameplay aid

Wouldn't I then be stuck at walking speed and it would take me forever to get anywhere? Or am i misunderstanding how horse travel works?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Volte posted:

It's still indicative of the need for proper QA. Unlikely stuff happens. Deploying hotfixes to Steam (or really any client-side application) like you would one-touch deploy a webapp is just a recipe for disaster.

I'm not sure why you're pulling this out of your rear end.
They have proper QA. Swen, the CEO of Larian, talked about that issue in one of the interviews that explained that the reason for that bug was that they re-compiled the game, without making any changes, after it already went thought their QA team and were hit with some kind of rare compiler error.
They have since made sure to change their workflow so that the game has go through QA again even if no changes have been made just to avoid that in the future.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Jack Trades posted:

I'm not sure why you're pulling this out of your rear end.
They have proper QA. Swen, the CEO of Larian, talked about that issue in one of the interviews that explained that the reason for that bug was that they re-compiled the game, without making any changes, after it already went thought their QA team and were hit with some kind of rare compiler error.
They have since made sure to change their workflow so that the game has go through QA again even if no changes have been made just to avoid that in the future.
I'm not criticizing Larian, I'm saying the one time a change got deployed without QA checking it (in this case because they thought QA has already checked it) was the time something bad happened. My point was that it's not a good idea to deploy hotfixes without a proper QA workflow in response to someone suggesting they automate pushing out hotfixes using CI/CD. Larian obviously knows that, which is why they have a proper QA workflow and follow the weekly QA-tested hotfixes schedule I advocated. It was just an example of why it's important.

edit: I realize I said "Larian tried the rapid release thing" in my OP which wasn't true, so I retract that. For some reason I thought they had made a change that did nothing but bumped the version number without running through QA and ran into the compile error, not that they had changed nothing at all.

Volte fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Sep 6, 2023

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Brocktoon posted:

Wouldn't I then be stuck at walking speed and it would take me forever to get anywhere? Or am i misunderstanding how horse travel works?

I don't think I ever had to repetitively hit a button to make sure my horse was going full speed. I think it's an optional thing you can do to save on the stamina, but it's not required to go the speed.

I played on PC though so it could be different

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Brocktoon posted:

A real cowboy trots everywhere and enjoys the ride.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Walked posted:

I'm very curious, since the 2013 or 14 LoF was a "6/10" typical Deck 13 game and apparently CI Games is that much disappointed how it turned out that they just made a 2nd attempt naming the new game the exact same.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

lordfrikk posted:

So yes it performs weirdly poorly on a 4xxx card, but there are DLSS with Frame Gen mods you can take advantage of that should be available on the Nexus site. Turning on Frame Gen literally doubled the FPS on my computer with an i9 and 4080. I was getting <60 FPS on high/medium details on the starting city and it went up to over 100.

Downside is that the DLSS mods can make the game even crashier.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Keeping with the RDR2 glitch videos that got posted the other day;

https://i.imgur.com/AwpKI5G.mp4

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Sab669 posted:

Keeping with the RDR2 glitch videos that got posted the other day;

https://i.imgur.com/AwpKI5G.mp4
"Well, that's enough adventure for one lifetime" :lol:

Adbot