Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

He alleges that Obama was a gay prostitute who did meth, sold coke, and had sex with him instead of really going to Harvard.

This is going to seriously tank Obama's 2024 chances.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

some kinda jackal posted:

This is going to seriously tank Obama's 2024 chances.

Bring back 2008 nostalgia.

I want another round of Lincoln Chaffee. Spending your entire debate time arguing about the metric system and answering a question about a major scandal you had with "It was my first day" were hidden gems.

https://twitter.com/notjessewalker/status/1699162630546657588

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
Nothing would happen to Tucker but the dude he's interviewing could be in some Serious poo poo if Obama decided it was worth his time. Which to be honest he probably isn't

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

It's probably fine as long they don't go and say that barack obama has a 1 inch penis and cums before penetration

Regardless of how funny someone doing that would be

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Shugojin posted:

barack obama has a 1 inch penis and cums before penetration

Printing this out and sending it to him.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

DarklyDreaming posted:

Nothing would happen to Tucker but the dude he's interviewing could be in some Serious poo poo if Obama decided it was worth his time. Which to be honest he probably isn't

Not really. In the U.S., he'd have to prove:

- That Sinclair was lying.
- That Sinclair knew he was lying.
- That Sinclair knowingly lied to harm Obama.
- That there was some specific material or monetary damage caused to Obama by this interview.
- That the damage to Obama was so severe that Obama's status as a public figure (a former President, the most public of public figures) and Sinclair's first amendment rights wouldn't cover them.

It would be extremely difficult to prove all of that and there is probably not any real economic damage to Obama that you could attribute to Larry Sinclair. He was elected President while he was originally saying all of this, so hard to say it damaged him in any way.

IPlayVideoGames
Nov 28, 2004

I unironically like Anders as a character.
Why are they so desperate for Obama to be gay?

Dirt5o8
Nov 6, 2008

EUGENE? Where's my fuckin' money, Eugene?

IPlayVideoGames posted:

I mean, just look at him, will you???

Crunch Buttsteak
Feb 26, 2007

You think reality is a circle of salt around my brain keeping witches out?

IPlayVideoGames posted:

Being openly homophobic was more acceptable in the late 00's and they were desperately looking for reasons to hate him other than "he's black".

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Shugojin posted:

It's probably fine as long they don't go and say that barack obama has a 1 inch penis and cums before penetration

Regardless of how funny someone doing that would be

Because US libel law requires the claimant to demonstrate that the allegation is false, would this mean that obama has to gently caress in the courtroom?

Willatron
Sep 22, 2009

DarklyDreaming posted:

Yeah I think the smart play for Obama is to not turn his "famous ex-president" level attention on a man who is currently just some nobody on Tucker's pretend TV show, but I'm no expert.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

What’s going to happen when that guy dies of an overdose/high blood pressure in three years, though?

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

I AM GRANDO posted:

What’s going to happen when that guy dies of an overdose/high blood pressure in three years, though?

An autopsy to prove Obama hosed him to death?

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
Who’s this Obama guy y’all are talking about? Misspelling of 0B0n3rdumdum I take it?

kik2dagroin
Mar 23, 2007

Use the anger. Use it.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Are there freep gamers?

Older thread but I guess there were until this horrible offense
Baldur's Gate III Boasts 'Tender, Consensual' Sex With a Bear

The Article posted:

The bear in question is actually a Druid, Halsin, taking Wildshape bear form after the two agree to have sex. The scene is partly played for laughs, according to Larian, as evidenced by the shot of a squirrel witnessing the moment and dropping its acorn.

quote:

I miss the good old days when the worst this sort of thing ever got was the Leisure Suit Larry games.

Is bestiality next up on what "the woke" are steering us toward?
1 posted on 07/10/2023 2:01:10 PM PDT by Ciaphas Cain
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

quote:

To: Ciaphas Cain

Is bestiality next up on what “the woke” are steering us toward?

—————————————————————

Why not? Sex with minors is already a common occurrence. Promoted by the left.

3 posted on 07/10/2023 2:03:31 PM PDT by Responsibility2nd
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

quote:

To: Wuli

these people are completely depraved. And even worse is they push their depravity out into the public to influence and de-sensitize others.

10 posted on 07/10/2023 2:18:31 PM PDT by imabadboy99
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 9 | View Replies]

quote:

To: Ciaphas Cain

Sigh, I really used to like the Baldurs Gate games

21 posted on 07/10/2023 3:56:04 PM PDT by KC_Conspirator
If BG3 wasn't so horny I'd say you can easily avoid these types of situations, but everyone in my party is always throwing themselves at me :quagmire:

Just note that this is a response to some discusson on quora.
If God is all powerful, then why can’t he stop evil from happening? That would mean he’s not all powerful. If God refuses to prevent evil, then he can not be all good. So can a Christian explain how God is all powerful and good in this case?

quote:

To: daniel1212

Allowing free-choice evil is God’s way of sorting out who gets to share eternity with Him.

6 posted on 09/03/2023 10:19:00 AM PDT by ryderann
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies ]

quote:

To: PeterPrinciple

I like the word receive.

We can be certain God chooses us. But do we choose him? The question baffles me.

We must submit to God. The concept of choosing seems to have an element of taking, which is not properly submissive.

As far as I can tell (which is not as far as others), the concept of receiving is both an active decision and consistent with submission.

26 posted on 09/03/2023 10:39:39 AM PDT by reasonisfaith (What are the personal implications if the Resurrection of Christ is a true event in history?)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 14 | View Replies]

quote:

I think we can agree that WWII was evil. If we hadn’t come together to fight it, which in itself may have been a “good” that overwrote any bad, think of how things would be different. The British Empire might still control half the world, probably bad. The population explosion of which I was a fragment, might not have happened. (I’ll call that really bad.) All the advances like antibacterials, radar, safer and faster transportaion, countless advances in medicine and technology, all good, would be very late in coming. The space race, which gave us artificial hearts and microcircuits, would probably not have happened. The super safe consumerist world that we’ve all profited by since 1945 would probably be later in coming or not at all. (The whole reason it happened was the American navy was the only one to survive the war.) I could go on and on, but the point is by allowing that one evil so much good resulted that I wouldn’t undo the war if I could. (Certainly, if I’d lost my whole family my view might be different.)

I face a third order vibration of this issue daily. My sister is in a declining mental state. If I help her in anything, I own that thing for the rest of eternity, and she loses the ability to do that thing. If I help her up from a seated position, she lost the opportunity for that tiny bit of exercise that she desperately needs. It irritates her mightily that I take this view, but the more I do for her the worse she gets. I can see where God might take the same view.

46 posted on 09/03/2023 10:52:24 AM PDT by Gen.Blather (Wait! I said that out loud? )

quote:

To: cgbg

This question is never asked of Muslims or Hindus or any other religion who espouses God.

If there was no evil, what would Democrats do?

60 posted on 09/03/2023 11:10:58 AM PDT by SteelPSUGOP
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 59 | View Replies ]

quote:

To: SteelPSUGOP

The Hindus have evil Gods—but not sure what the Muslim explanation is...

61 posted on 09/03/2023 11:12:32 AM PDT by cgbg ("Creative minds have always been known to survive any kind of bad training." Anna Freud.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 60 | View Replies ]

quote:

People like this do not understand how much God would have to interfere with their own lives constantly throughout the day. You wouldn’t be able to just live and do things without being stopped or admonished.

He would intervene on your thoughts and words too. It would be impossible to live, we are all evil. Many just have their natural evil human nature, 100% sinner. Many have both their natural human nature and their new spirit, both sinner and saint in the same body struggling each day.

Everyone would be stopped so often life would become unliveable for imperfect people living in the current fallen world.

212 posted on 09/03/2023 1:22:17 PM PDT by Secret Agent Man (Gone Galt; not averse to Going Bronson.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies ]

quote:

To: Secret Agent Man
People like this do not understand how much God would have to interfere with their own lives constantly throughout the day. You wouldn’t be able to just live and do things without being stopped or admonished.

Certain persons in politics yearn for such power
227 posted on 09/03/2023 1:34:32 PM PDT by daniel1212 (As a damned+destitute sinner turn 2 the Lord Jesus who saves souls on His acct + b baptized 2 obey)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 212 | View Replies ]

quote:

Exactly. This is what living under Satan would be like. His “eyes” are his minions, ready to report you and punish.

249 posted on 09/03/2023 1:53:11 PM PDT by Secret Agent Man (Gone Galt; not averse to Going Bronson.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 227 | View Replies ]

quote:

To: NWFree

Sometimes we screw it up. But not always. The very essence of free will is that we do often make the correct choice.

This is true both in personal life and in politics.
For example, Jan 19 2020 government allowed a mixture of free choice and not-so-free mandates in use of fossil fuel.

Jan 21 the US shifted and greatly increased the mandates and reduced the freedom to choose. The results are obvious.

Jan 21 Biden signaled to Putin and Bidenomics would finance Putin’s invasion of Ukraine. At the same time Biden created inflation. Removed the ability of the working poor to buy gasoline to get to work. Bidenomics created inflation that hurt the poor much harder than the rich.... and with no freedom to choose.... with Biden bastardizing his concept of a God who mandates.

280 posted on 09/03/2023 5:08:40 PM PDT by spintreebob (ki .h Tg)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 7 | View Replies]

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Sure, god is like my rear end in a top hat dad who told me how I made him do it by choosing to make him angry. I should have known better.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

kik2dagroin posted:

I face a third order vibration of this issue daily. My sister is in a declining mental state. If I help her in anything, I own that thing for the rest of eternity, and she loses the ability to do that thing. If I help her up from a seated position, she lost the opportunity for that tiny bit of exercise that she desperately needs. It irritates her mightily that I take this view, but the more I do for her the worse she gets. I can see where God might take the same view.

My dude, she loving hates you at this point :catstare:

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

When Jesus commanded people to help others he meant sit around and watch the infirm struggle to perform their daily chores after being asked to help.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug

Secret Agent Man posted:

Secret Agent Man posted:

Exactly. This is what living under Satan would be like. His “eyes” are his minions, ready to report you and punish.

Wait so which is it

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
God is like your manager, too busy in meetings and updating spreadsheets to answer prayers or prevent evil from happening

Dirt5o8
Nov 6, 2008

EUGENE? Where's my fuckin' money, Eugene?
Freep-style Christians just need to pull the trigger and go whole hog in polytheism. They have a trinity, a God for every occasion or mood, worship idols, etc.

Not really much left of the 1950's ideal of Christianity they say they represent.

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008

DarklyDreaming posted:

Nothing would happen to Tucker but the dude he's interviewing could be in some Serious poo poo if Obama decided it was worth his time.
Tucker will just keep providing a platform for any old village idiot willing to slander his political enemies and he'll be personally in the clear, the system works

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
I know I shouldn't have expected anything different but I was hoping at least one of them would do something other than completely dodging the question

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!
Group sues to block Trump from 2024 ballot in Colorado citing 14th Amendment posted by freeper Golden Eagle

It feels like half the thread jumped on post #2 and he was simply not having it.

quote:

quote:

quote:

To: Golden Eagle

It’s inevitable that Trump will be removed from the ballot in at least 2-3 swing purple states. Obama/Biden judges will uphold it, to cause max chaos. The GOP simply does not have the will to stand up to Democrat lawfare.

2 posted on 9/6/2023, 11:18:34 AM by montag813

When people make claims like this it demoralizes the voters.

Is that your real intention?

19 posted on 9/6/2023, 11:33:06 AM by Beowulf9
Is this a joke? The entire Executive branch is run by CRIMINALS, who have the nation's entire law enforcement apparatus (FBI, DOJ, etc) protecting them from any consequences, and judges willing to make the most radical interpretations of the Patriot Act to call nearly any act of resistance "terrorism."

Anyone who is not demoralized is a fool. The question is: what are we going to do about it?

Kevin McCarthy has not said one word about the disgraceful sentencing of the Proud Boys or J6 grandmas and assorted innocent Janes and Joes who merely tresspassed that day. Nor has he or any major GOP official said a word against the Fulton County cabal trying to destroy Trump. After lying about giving all the footage to Tucker, McCarthy reneged after Tucker was (conveniently, 2 days later) fired. And despite reports that all the records of the J6 committee were "destroyed," he has not launched a single hearing to investigate it.

He is 100% complicit with the criminal Democrats. Even GOP governors like Kemp ridicule the very idea of standing up to racist Soros puppets like Big Fani.

And not a single Republican leader has criticized the Kafkaesque "judge and jury" in NYC that convicted Trump of "sexual assault" against a woman who has zero witnesses, zero evidence, and made up her lies from a literal script from "Law and Order."

YES, I am "demoralized." But again...what to do? Nothing is being done to stand up to it by the Stupid Party.

Will we, 10 years from today, find ourselves reciting some version of Solzhenitsyn's lament...

“And how we burned in the camps later, thinking: What would things have been like if every Security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family? Or if, during periods of mass arrests, as for example in Leningrad, when they arrested a quarter of the entire city, people had not simply sat there in their lairs, paling with terror at every bang of the downstairs door and at every step on the staircase, but had understood they had nothing left to lose and had boldly set up in the downstairs hall an ambush of half a dozen people with axes, hammers, pokers, or whatever else was at hand?… The Organs would very quickly have suffered a shortage of officers and transport and, notwithstanding all of Stalin’s thirst, the cursed machine would have ground to a halt! If… if…We didn’t love freedom enough. And even more – we had no awareness of the real situation…We purely and simply deserved everything that happened afterward.”

WAKE UP AMERICA! WAKE UP REPUBLICANS! Or it will all come to an end, and much sooner than you can imagine.

60 posted on 9/6/2023, 4:10:17 PM by montag813

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Lol they've been screaming wake up at each other for like 30 years

Lmao

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!
Jim Jordan: “The White House knows what’s coming” They’re in shambles right now… posted by freeper Red Badger

It's about the hilarious attempt by GOP house folks to try and impeach Biden for ... something? I think it's Hunter. Freep doesn't really seem to buy it either and not a single actual accusation is discussed among the ~100 posts.

quote:

To: al baby

A committee to make fun of Republicans, since they know nothing will come of this.

3 posted on 9/6/2023, 12:46:20 PM by occamrzr06

quote:

To: nobody in particular

talk talk talk..that's all the gop is good for...Comer..how long has he been talking now? cupla years? no indictments, no raids..

at least it's not made up $hit like we got from schiff, steele, strozck, barr, et al...

7 posted on 9/6/2023, 12:49:11 PM by SGCOS (not vaccinated for covid and never will be)

Things you have to believe to be a freeper, volume 1: "The Uniparty!"

quote:

To: Red Badger

Joe isn’t going to be enough to win 2024. Even if he gets clear of this 10 year old scandal.

The Republicans, IMHO, aren’t trying to do the right thing. They would have impeached him already if that were the plan. No, they were testing to see if there was a moment to eliminate him so someone else in the DNC stable could beat Trump.

Basically, the only agreement within the Uniparty is that they are terrified that Trump will come back. He frightens them enough that they will get rid of Biden at this point.

10 posted on 9/6/2023, 12:50:02 PM by Pete Dovgan

Volume 2: "no seriously u guys THE UNIPARTY"

quote:

1) I don’t think the GOP has any real expectation to impeach and convict Biden.
2) I think the Democrats may want to run a stronger candidate in 2024 and feel that Joe has become inconvenient but difficult to move aside.
3) I think the GOP would be very happy to help the Democrats run a stronger candidate in 2024.
4) I think the GOP will huff and puff, the Democrats will sit Joe down for a talk, and soon the Democrats will be better positioned for Obama’s fourth term.

It’s almost like Kabuki. Almost like one party disguised as two.

18 posted on 9/6/2023, 12:56:19 PM by ClearCase_guy (They say "Our Democracy" but they mean Cosa Nostra.)

Volume 3: "You know who sucks? People with cancer."

quote:

That’s a pretty bold statement, like all the other bold statements that come from Republican’s. Almost as aggressive as a “sternly worded letter” from Grassley, Ernst, and the rest.

I find it hard to believe that knowing that ABSOLUTELY NOTHING is going to happen, could cause the sh*tshow happening in 1600 Pennsylvania Ave to be anymore chaotic and in shambles more than it already is.

No matter how much they deserve to hated and loathed, for everything they do, one has to give the Democrats credit, they stick together and will just start slinging as much poo as they possibly can. They do not care. Their supporters do not care.

Sadly, a large segment of Republican’s still like to play nice, take the high road, not seek revenge, turn the other cheek, feel some compassion for guys like Rankin when he would be dancing a jig if every Republican got cancer, or just otherwise give people a pass. Truly sad.

If this country had Republican Governors and legislatures like they do in California, Washington, Oregon, Illinois, to name a few, things might be, at least, a little different. At least they’d be able to slow down this train wreck. But nope, lets roll over for the Left. Unlike the Left that sued Pres Trump for waking up in the morning.

The coming mask mandates and lockdowns will tell everyone, everything they need to know.

22 posted on 9/6/2023, 12:58:20 PM by qaz123

I mean,

quote:

I think Jordan is mistaking “shambles” with rolling on the floor laughing their asses off a his committee.

Jim Jordan is the Trey Gowdy of Ohio.

25 posted on 9/6/2023, 1:03:03 PM by chickenlips (Neuter your politicians)

Freep:

quote:

NOTHING…….WILL…….EVER…….HAPPEN…..TO……THEM.

NOTHING!

29 posted on 9/6/2023, 1:08:15 PM by Puppage (You may disagree with what I have to say, but I shall defend to your death my right to says it.)

Things you have to believe to be a freeper, volume 4: "The Democrat Party Politburo Uses Succession Rules From Highlander (1986)"

quote:

Could this be the end for the Biden Boys?

Dream on. The Party would like nothing more than make him President again just to make damned sure the people know what their new status is. It will cement the Rule of the Party, The President could be n Irish setter. The politburo runs everything and decides everything. By the next inauguration Brandon will be so senile that he won't be able to give any intelligible orders ao make any sort of decisions. The Politburo will be omnipotent and future political fights will be within the politburo and will be power jockeying and will probably result in the deaths of the losers one by one until one man has total power.

30 posted on 9/6/2023, 1:08:23 PM by arthurus (o| covfefe |<|)

Volume 5: "Donna Brazile is Politically Relevant in Two Thousand Twenty Three"

quote:

I see it playing out as Newt Gingrich:

"I think this is going to be a horrendous period and we just need to understand, the people who want to control America and dictate to the rest of us will break any law, lie about any topic, and manipulate you any way they can, and that includes a lot of the elite news media."

I also think Biden's handlers are doing opportunity costs behind the scenes. Donna Brazile's comments on Trump support being a (paraphrased) "movement she's not seen before" I interpret as sort of a "oh s***" statement.

You won't hear about if it is occurring, but I wouldn't be surprised if there is a 'truce' outreach going on. In my mind, a growing number of people are seeing through the BS from both "sides".

40 posted on 9/6/2023, 1:17:02 PM by Tench_Coxe (The woke were surprised by the reaction to the Bud Light fiasco. May there be many more surprises)

oh boy that's a set of words I don't like reading in that order

quote:

I know that little black Shirley Temple Moppet press secretary is having a rough time with the WH press now. Doocy really giving her the whatsit nearly every day now.

45 posted on 9/6/2023, 1:21:52 PM by Gaffer ( )

quote:

Even members of the moderate wing of our party are realizing this could potentially be the biggest political scandal in my lifetime.

Indeed it’s why no mistakes can be made in nailing the Biden’s or it’ll turn out like a Russia Russia Russia event.

We’re dealing with slimy eels with that party.

48 posted on 9/6/2023, 1:27:07 PM by Vaduz (....)

Stuff like this used to make me :stonkhat: but this is really kinda "mid" as the kids would say. Very run of the mill. This terrifies me at an existential level.

quote:

To: cgbg

In the end Rome got the imperial system, which sort of returned things to where they were when Caesar was assassinated. We’ll probably wind up in the same situation as the lawlessness and destruction set loose by the current regime will enable a strongman of ability and ambition to take power. Even a restitution of something like Constitutional order would require some rather large extra-Constitutional excursions to punish and lustrate those responsible for the current system both inside and outside of government, and subsequent political restrictions to prevent the same from occurring again.

50 posted on 9/6/2023, 1:27:53 PM by pierrem15 ("Massacrez-les, car le seigneur connait les siens" )

Things you have to believe to be a freeper, volume 6:

quote:

To: theoilpainter

quote:

Why are we destroying Biden now? This should be happen a year from now, when it’s too late for the dems to pick someone else. Now it give them a chance to pick someone who is a decent candidate and a lib who will.

And we don’t want that........right?

They need to take out kennedy as well. maybe that is why they are doing it now.

54 posted on 9/6/2023, 1:36:40 PM by kvanbrunt2

Every accusation continues to be a confession from this 2001 regdate freeper.

quote:

To: Fledermaus; TigersEye

I actually agree with both of you. An impeachment would tarnish Biden but I just think it won't do much as Presidential "impeachments" have now become an ordinary part of American political life. That is sign of major political breakdown, by the way, and is usually a leading indicator for either civil war or an authoritarian government.

My main hope is that the pain, open graft, and obvious incompetence of the regime will cause enough votes to surpass the growing margin of fraud. That still doesn't look good for any Republican if you look at the swing states. And even if a miracle happens and Trump wins, what about 2028? You can't keep a republic when the major opposition party behaves as a criminal conspiracy against it. Under the Constitution, our fundamental liberties were not supposed to be up for grabs at every election, which means the Constitution is no longer working.

66 posted on 9/6/2023, 2:10:21 PM by pierrem15 ("Massacrez-les, car le seigneur connait les siens" )

Let's finish this thread off with classic freep comedy.

quote:

To: Gideon300

quote:

Democraps can’t sweep it under the rug nor the Republicans ignore it forever.

Look at the Obama thread today—blatant horrific behavior swept under the rug for a couple of decades—no problem when you control the mass media.

Even chimps can do it.

73 posted on 9/6/2023, 2:37:08 PM by cgbg ("Creative minds have always been known to survive any kind of bad training." Anna Freud.)

Finagle
Feb 18, 2007

Looks like we have a neighsayer
Reading Gulag Archipelago was such an important and just profound moment in my life. I get so pissed when I see this angry ignorant fucks quoting him.

(I really hope Solzhenitsyn didn't become a wierd fascist later.)

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Finagle posted:

Reading Gulag Archipelago was such an important and just profound moment in my life. I get so pissed when I see this angry ignorant fucks quoting him.

Same.

(I have bad news.)

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Finagle posted:

...yeah, maybe don't look into that last part.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Even Kissinger thinks Solzhenitsyn was a fascist.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

It's funny that they are smart enough to figure out that Republicans don't really want to impeach Biden, but they're too dumb to figure out why

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Solzhenitsyn is the Kevin Spacey of historical literature.

He produced some really great work, but was a terrible person.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Even Kissinger thinks Solzhenitsyn was a fascist.

Gulag Archipelago has been scrutinized and isn’t considered a very good historical text fwiw. Solzhenitsyn being a fascist should be the icing on the cake and not the “oh he turned bad later.” He always was and you have to read his poo poo through that lens.

quote:

Natalya Reshetovskaya described her ex-husband's book as "folklore", telling a newspaper in 1974 that she felt the book was "not in fact the life of the country and not even the life of the camps but the folklore of the camps." In her 1974 memoir, Reshetovskaya wrote that Solzhenitsyn did not consider the novel to be "historical research, or scientific research", and stated that the significance of the novel had been "overestimated and wrongly appraised”

It’s required reading in school in Putin’s Russia, which often glorifies Stalin, fwiw. Maybe consider that if you’re reading the same propaganda vatnik educators love, you may need alternate sources to compare.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Gulag Archipelago has been scrutinized and isn’t considered a very good historical text fwiw. Solzhenitsyn being a fascist should be the icing on the cake and not the “oh he turned bad later.” He always was and you have to read his poo poo through that lens.

It’s required reading in school in Putin’s Russia, which often glorifies Stalin, fwiw. Maybe consider that if you’re reading the same propaganda vatnik educators love, you may need alternate sources to compare.

The criticism from his ex-wife was also published in a book by the KGB publishing house in 1974. So you should probably take that into account when reading that.

I'm pretty sure Gulag Archipelago is still fairly well received in academic circles. According to a quick google, there seem to be a lot of criticisms that he sometimes reports on rumors and stories other people told him without verifying if it was true, but it is still well-regarded. I'm not really plugged into academic literature circles, so maybe that has changed recently, though.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Sep 7, 2023

Finagle
Feb 18, 2007

Looks like we have a neighsayer

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Solzhenitsyn is the Kevin Spacey of historical literature.

He produced some really great work, but was a terrible person.

drat.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
their feelings that biden is corrupt is more real than the very real evidence against trump

and they think they're the good guys.

McGlockenshire posted:

Things you have to believe to be a freeper, volume 1: "The Uniparty!"
Volume 2: "no seriously u guys THE UNIPARTY"Joe isn’t going to be enough to win 2024. Even if he gets clear of this 10 year old scandal.
The Republicans, IMHO, aren’t trying to do the right thing. They would have impeached him already if that were the plan. No, they were testing to see if there was a moment to eliminate him so someone else in the DNC stable could beat Trump.
Basically, the only agreement within the Uniparty is that they are terrified that Trump will come back. He frightens them enough that they will get rid of Biden at this point.
10 posted on 9/6/2023, 12:50:02 PM by Pete Dovgan
like, they're just referring to "people who want a functioning government" as "the uniparty".
the government can't function very well under trump, the other freeper outlines the reasons, so yes people from both parties don't want trump because their grifts work better when government functions.

Finnankainen
Oct 14, 2012
Fourth-grade teacher and mother of two charged with raping boy, 12, at her Tennessee home: ‘It’s unspeakable’

quote:

To: Eleutheria5
Probation

4 posted on 9/10/2023, 6:03:26 PM by Jim Noble (They don't think you know but I know that you do.)

quote:

I am not sure what to call it but a woman cannot rape a boy. This kid couldn’t believe his luck. It should be illegal but it is not rape.

8 posted on 9/10/2023, 6:11:26 PM by gibsonguy

quote:

To: Jim Noble
“Probation”

Okay with that.

I have been a 12 year old boy. This does not “scare you for life”.

12 posted on 9/10/2023, 6:16:09 PM by nomorelurker
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 4 | View Replies]

quote:

To: SamAdams76
I think it was not widely reported but just as common as we are seeing in our modern media.
On the other hand, after seeing the pic I would suggest sentencing to home detention. My home. /s

18 posted on 9/10/2023, 6:26:32 PM by desertsolitaire (w)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 10 | View Replies]

quote:

To: nickcarraway
I’m going to get cussed at and flamed, but here goes: In a lot of older foreign cultures, young boys traditionally have been instructed in how to please women sexually, and it is older women who do the teaching. It is not a crime in these cultures. You aren’t born with the knowledge. It is usually learned one way or the other. Needless to state, one hopes the young man thoroughly enjoyed his lessons, the instructor is very nicely proportioned. Wish I had had a teacher like that.

23 posted on 9/10/2023, 6:34:53 PM by 4Runner
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 13 | View Replies]

quote:

To: 4Runner
I learned from a baby sitter 4 years my senior we are still wonderful friends going on 50 years

40 posted on 9/10/2023, 6:59:31 PM by al baby (I know its the way the measure the cooling capability )
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 23 | View Replies]

quote:

"Fourth-grade teacher and mother of two charged with raping boy, 12, at her Tennessee home: ‘It’s unspeakable’"
..... How do we know this was Rape???? ..... In todays Educational system ..... Maybe this was just Homework .... And I am NOT Joking ......

61 posted on 9/10/2023, 7:28:03 PM by R_Kangel ("A nation of sheep will beget a nation ruled by wolves")

quote:

To: gibsonguy
While I do not wish to go into the vulgar detail, I am pretty sure there are ways in which a grown woman could do something worse than mere statutory rape to a boy.

71 posted on 9/10/2023, 7:45:24 PM by AndyTheBear (Certified smarter than average for my species)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 8 | View Replies]

quote:

To: gibsonguy
>> It should be illegal but it is not rape.

It’s not “rape-rape” but statutory rape IS a well-defined crime.

73 posted on 9/10/2023, 7:50:40 PM by Nervous Tick (Jesus is LORD and Savior! And Donald Trump is President of the United States of America.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 8 | View Replies]

Finnankainen fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Sep 11, 2023

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

What are those older foreign cultures? Pornhub?

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Not only do they think this is a rite of passage, but if they answered honestly they’d probably say it ought to be a right of passage.

Girls on the other hand need purity rings and daddy-daughter homecomings, of course. Their girls, at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willatron
Sep 22, 2009
Lol these are the same people who think Biden et al should be publicly executed for alleged secret pedophilia