Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I bless the rains down on Africa

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

redshirt posted:

I bless the rains down on Africa

this gives the rains +1d4 on attack and skill rolls at the cost of maintaining concentration, so is a solid use of your turn

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

Internet Old One posted:

I’m always puzzled by these sorts of loosy goosy controls. By the time you’re arguing with me about sending you a screenshot it’s hit the effort level for me to make a forgery and it’s actually probably easier to do that than provide an authentic document anyhow.

I find it especially funny when people insist that I send a wet ink signature by email. I've never once had someone question my technique of: screen shot, copy to ms paint, copy in signature, print to pdf. That's way easier than breaking out the printer/scanner and finding a pen. Nobody can tell the difference from a printed and scanned document.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Leviathan Song posted:

I find it especially funny when people insist that I send a wet ink signature by email.

Unless ink is sacrificed the incarnation will be incomplete.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

When I sign anything I break the rules and use my fancy fountain pen to mark outside the lines in my big flourish-y signature that you can see from across the room with garish ink

So I guess anything I sign is worse than it normally would be

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

DoctorTristan posted:

Been looking for a rental after being off the market for a few years and one agent was demanding a screenshot of my credit report before they would even let me arrange a viewing.

For stuff like this they I assume they are going to run their own report when needed but initially are trying to weed out people who think their credit report might be full of red flags.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

1000 load bearing

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

withak posted:

For stuff like this they I assume they are going to run their own report when needed but initially are trying to weed out people who think their credit report might be full of red flags.

It’s more that demand is outstripping supply to such an extent that they know they can impose whatever conditions they like and people will have little choice to comply. A few were trying to pull this poo poo ten years ago but at least then you’d have had ten other options drop that same day so could easily walk out if they tried that.

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

A very smart little mouse!
probably late on this one but it sticks in my craw

HBO Max had a shuffle function that was great for sitcoms and now the Max app doesn't.

every streaming app should have a shuffle function

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

Never felt at home in reality
Always hiding behind avatars

BasicLich posted:

probably late on this one but it sticks in my craw

HBO Max had a shuffle function that was great for sitcoms and now the Max app doesn't.

every streaming app should have a shuffle function

The max app got extremely shittier since Discovery took over. they don't even have subtitles on the roku version of the app anymore for whatever reason

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

DoctorTristan posted:

Watch a single Paradox game tutorial video or listen to just one ancient history podcast episode and Google will decide you want to be fed chud content forever.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

My 9 year old: views a single video about Zelda
Youtube: mayhaps we could interest you in this video by Ben Shapiro? Or maybe this video about how women and minorities have it too easy? Have you ever heard of Dr Jordan B Peterson

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.
It's never too early to start mainlining Prager U

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Further Reading posted:

I had an Irish class in every year of pre college education, but I'm still far from conversational. The most I can brag is that I know the difference between our 5 verb tenses and can still write in 4 of them, which puts me leagues ahead of pretty much the entire non-fluent population my age.

Edit:
Here's a bonus Irish lesson.

Bhuail mé le do mhamaí - I banged your Mom
Buailim le do mhamaí - I am banging your Mom
Buailfhidh mé le do mhamaí - I will bang your Mom
Bhuailfinn le do mhamaí - I would bang your Mom.
The one I can't remember is the past present tense - I used to bang your Mom.

It's only a problem if you stop.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

sebmojo posted:

Just say I don't want to see this creator/kind of stuff, it works really well. You might have to do it fast, idk

This does not make it any less lovely that the once “don’t be evil” corp now pays people to grow more nazis.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

DoctorTristan posted:

This does not make it any less lovely that the once “don’t be evil” corp now pays people to grow more nazis.

Also it does not work at all for me, no matter how many different buttons I press that mean "DONT SHOW ME NAZI poo poo" youtube happily ignores it and continues pushing this poo poo constantly.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

I just checked my YouTube home page for the first time in years to see how bad it's gotten, and 90% of it is videos I've already watched. The remaining 10% is stuff like clips from obscure movies and mechanics working on minivans. I guess that I successfully confused the hell out of it.

naem
May 29, 2011

I downvoted right wing nazi flavored stuff on you tube enough that I now get facebook aunt level TRUMP IS BAD meme recommendations that I tolerate in their place

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Tenkaris posted:

It's never too early to start mainlining Prager U

Iirc Oklahoma actually has Prager U in the elementary school curriculum now

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

You can turn off your view history and you'll never see another nazi video. I don't think I've ever been recommended poo poo like that.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Quote-Unquote posted:

Iirc Oklahoma actually has Prager U in the elementary school curriculum now

And Florida, too.

DiomedesGodshill
Feb 21, 2009

So there I was on my flight from Atlanta to Barcelona

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Fitzy Fitz posted:

You can turn off your view history and you'll never see another nazi video. I don't think I've ever been recommended poo poo like that.

Yeah, this. I mostly watch videos from channels I've subscribed to, and I mostly see recommendations from these channels, and these channels only. I generally ignore anything that isn't from a channel I'm specifically interested in.

I don't see YouTube as being a continuous stream of entertainment mind-reading, but a place I go to watch specific videos that I've picked out. That is, I rely on myself, not YouTube, to pick things for me to watch. And if there's nothing on there to watch, I stop looking and don't watch anything.

I can't think of a single service that has been good, at all, at recommending me things that are good for me. So I ignore recommendations.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

doctorfrog posted:

Yeah, this. I mostly watch videos from channels I've subscribed to, and I mostly see recommendations from these channels, and these channels only. I generally ignore anything that isn't from a channel I'm specifically interested in.

I don't see YouTube as being a continuous stream of entertainment mind-reading, but a place I go to watch specific videos that I've picked out. That is, I rely on myself, not YouTube, to pick things for me to watch. And if there's nothing on there to watch, I stop looking and don't watch anything.

I can't think of a single service that has been good, at all, at recommending me things that are good for me. So I ignore recommendations.

Right, I mean, in a very literal sense the recommendations exist to show you things someone is paying them to promote. So it's possible that coincides with things you're interested in watching but if it doesn't, it's not a failure of the algorithm.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
It is extremely rare I get recommended something outside of my interests. But like yesterday a Telegraph video "Canada's WOKE Nightmare" shows up and that's definitely something that was being paid to be shoved at me because I don't watch politics on Youtube at all. (I don't even watch news videos at all, gently caress off, I can read the article faster than you can jabber it at me) And that's how I learned that the Telegraph is a conservative shitrag. Took all of 3 seconds to block the channel and move on.

Facebook whined at me the other day "hey we can't show you news anymore because of your government, doesn't that make you upset" and I'm like lol nope not in the slightest. So uh, that's something that got a little bit less lovely if you live up here and aren't lead-poisoned to the point of not realizing you can get news from sources you trust instead of just seeing what the algorithm shoves at you today.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I had an ad for some church in Canada that started off as a sly anti abortion ad before turning into a young people are wrong and will burn for abandoning the church with stealth shade thrown at lgbtq+ people

Absolute poo poo

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Diet Poison posted:

It is extremely rare I get recommended something outside of my interests. But like yesterday a Telegraph video "Canada's WOKE Nightmare" shows up and that's definitely something that was being paid to be shoved at me because I don't watch politics on Youtube at all. (I don't even watch news videos at all, gently caress off, I can read the article faster than you can jabber it at me) And that's how I learned that the Telegraph is a conservative shitrag. Took all of 3 seconds to block the channel and move on.

Facebook whined at me the other day "hey we can't show you news anymore because of your government, doesn't that make you upset" and I'm like lol nope not in the slightest. So uh, that's something that got a little bit less lovely if you live up here and aren't lead-poisoned to the point of not realizing you can get news from sources you trust instead of just seeing what the algorithm shoves at you today.

Someone in my neighborhood has signed every house up to receive copies of the Epoch Times, the Falun Gong whackadoodle conspiracy newspaper. It's a hoot to read occasionally but sometimes I realize it's that kinda dreck that is being drip fed to people over 65 as a legitimate source of information because it's presented with all the trappings of being a real news source.

As much as the new law sucks for regional news sources click through rates, it's actually a godsend because Facebook just presents epoch times adjacent articles alongside the Toronto Star or New York Times as having effectively equal authority. If you weren't raised steeped in the internet to understand how it works you can fail to see the distinction. It's kinda horrifying if you think about it too much. So I guess better but only slightly and it won't last.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
You watch one lobster video and you get nothing but Jordan Peterson recommendations forever.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

YouTube keeps suggesting church sermon content to me for some reason even though I say "don't recommend" on all of them. It just serves me one up from a different channel.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Combo posted:

YouTube keeps suggesting church sermon content to me for some reason even though I say "don't recommend" on all of them. It just serves me one up from a different channel.

It's just trying to zero in on your denomination. I had the same thing happen with sports videos. It didn't show me less sports, just different sports.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Diet Poison posted:

Great news! Canada is probably going to copy Australia and make it so the social media companies have to pay rent to the news media companies whether they want news content on their platform or not!

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?

ProperCoochie posted:

and how's that work, smartass? i'm not even the only person complaining about this

Oh I gotta make 5 edits into the registry? Shame on me WHOOPSIE that's so simple!!!!!!!

Why do ppl ride the M$ dick so hard?? Such an inept and unlikable company

you make 1 edit to the registry you big baby

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

CANADA AUSTRALIA NEW ZEALAND AMERICA

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
PS plus basic went up in price by over 50% and they won’t let me in my account to see the expiry without doing a captcha that’s like, move a train to these coordinates. If you fail, you have to do them all over again plus one more. I reached the max of 10 already. They probably just want the autopay to go on forever of course

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

skooma512 posted:

PS plus basic went up in price by over 50% and they won’t let me in my account to see the expiry without doing a captcha that’s like, move a train to these coordinates. If you fail, you have to do them all over again plus one more. I reached the max of 10 already. They probably just want the autopay to go on forever of course

When they first announced that price hike I couldn't sign in to cancel because their servers were getting hammered with people signing in to cancel.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I was able to get into my account and my expiry is next June. The email they sent just had a generic November date in it lol

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

my lovely thing is that the entirety of goofy but brilliant goon comic dr mcninja is no longer on the web.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

sebmojo posted:

my lovely thing is that the entirety of goofy but brilliant goon comic dr mcninja is no longer on the web.

You got me scared, but it looks like it might just be a temporary thing? https://linktr.ee/drhastings - the author's linktree page, Dr. McNinja is the first thing and it just says it's 'moving'. It links to the collections that Dark Horse published, but 'moving' makes me think they're just remaking the site or something.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
What the gently caress is a WebP image, and why can't I google image search for anything and click-drag into Imgur. Getty images can go gently caress itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Vampire Panties posted:

What the gently caress is a WebP image, and why can't I google image search for anything and click-drag into Imgur. Getty images can go gently caress itself.

Can someone who understands computers please explain what's going on with image filetypes lately? The hell is a jfif?