Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

Anakin definitely looks younger in Ahsoka than in Kenobi and I'm glad. It was weird when he looked 40 in the Kenobi flashback, we have the technology, use it

Also much better episode than the rest, Baylan is badass, and I kinda like the fact that you're not quite sure what his deal is. I like that you do feel that he will keep his word and not actually harm Sabine, that if Ahsoka didnt ignite her saber he might have just talked it out etc, which maybe says a lot about Ahsoka.

Also what's up with Marrok? Is the implication it was some Nightsister magic? Hence the green cloud

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

MixMasterMalaria posted:

I think more likely we get a force ghost world movie

Hell yeah, Steve Buscemi in Star Wars finally!

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
Well that was the best one so far. This show finally feels like the plot is moving along, even if it makes no sense to me how it got there.

Using Thrawn / Ezra in the different galaxy as a call to action seems like a very strange choice, but I'm not familiar with the cartoons. It seems like Thrawn is being used for the characters historic notoriety than making it feel like he's an understandable motivator to tie things together.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

DJ_Mindboggler posted:

Asoka's lightsaber duels here and in Mando leaning heavily into samurai tropes is definitely something I can get behind though.

I like it too, but it doesn't fit imo.
Ashoka has two swords. That should give her an advantage. Unless she's carrying the second sword because she watches too many anime holovids and wants to tell opponents she's fighting at a disadvantage she should always be using the two swords.
The only reason she isn't is because Rosario Dawson and Ray Stevenson are simply too old to pull off the choreography.
Ok, I will also accept Filloni is dumb.

And yes it was cool as hell when they used the force to make their swings stronger. More of this. Less rock throwing. More force augmentation!

MixMasterMalaria posted:

Rosario Dawson in front of a green screen recreating the performance of Kyle MacLachlan in 1984's Dune.

Show redeemed

MixMasterMalaria posted:

I think more likely We get a force ghost world movie with Kenobi, Qui-Gon, Anakin, and Yoda... maybe luke too
Force-Ghostbusters. Now there's a crossover!

MMAgCh posted:

One of the several things I like about Baylan Skoll is the economy with which he deflects blaster shots. No waving his lightsabre around, only snapping it precisely into place with a minimum of motion. :allears:
With the amount of space ibuprofen he needs just to draw the sword, he's not going to waste anything.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

If Ahsoka is going full samurai, the longer lightsaber is the katana and used for duels, while the smaller one is defense and super close range stuff. It's part of the "full samurai" that that duel leaned into. You bring out the second one only when someone starts cheating, so robots and random mooks, visually.

Isometric Bacon posted:

Well that was the best one so far. This show finally feels like the plot is moving along, even if it makes no sense to me how it got there.

Using Thrawn / Ezra in the different galaxy as a call to action seems like a very strange choice, but I'm not familiar with the cartoons. It seems like Thrawn is being used for the characters historic notoriety than making it feel like he's an understandable motivator to tie things together.

Theyre Thanos-ing/Kang-ing Thrawn, even if you only saw the live action stuff. Keep mentioning him (he was mentioned in two different seasons of Mandalorian) make him finally appear in one thing (this), make him the big bad of the next.

Him being elsewhere (with Ezra) and going to look for Ezra does come from Rebels, so that's just something that ended up kind of unavoidable due to continuity.

Darko fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Sep 6, 2023

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I think Sabine should usually not wear the helmet because she is extremely pretty

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Darko posted:

If Ahsoka is going full samurai, the longer lightsaber is the katana and used for duels, while the smaller one is defense and super close range stuff. It's part of the "full samurai" that that duel leaned into. You bing out the second one when someone starts cheating.

Do Lightsabers have a length dial?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Isometric Bacon posted:

So far I haven't had a problem keeping up with the show despite my having not seen Rebels but I think Thrawn is the one big exception. The show isn't really selling me on why he's a big deal. Yes yes, I know he is supposed to be because you can't be a lifelong Star Wars fan without knowing about him even without coming across him directly (though I think I saw him a bit in the old TIE Fighter game) but the show shouldn't rely on that.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

HootTheOwl posted:

Kanan's did.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

HootTheOwl posted:

Have you seen Yoda's?

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I sense a certain amount of conflict in both Baylan and Shin... like they're bad guys but not Sith, and I'm expecting one or both of them to turn out to be 'good guys at heart but forced to do bad things' for whatever reason. I don't think we know their true motivation yet and I'm expecting that to be an upcoming twist.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I'm utterly disappointed in all of you for not noticing the hyperspace jump calculations are functionally just dialling Stargate chevrons.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Watching the new Ahsoka now. So, is General Hara from one of the cartoons or something? I'm guessing that's why she wears that outfit, with the jacket and the weird goggles thing on her head? It makes her look like she's a pilot or an engineer or something, it took me a couple episodes to fully internalize that she was an actual general with like, authority and everything.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Phenotype posted:

Watching the new Ahsoka now. So, is General Hara from one of the cartoons or something? I'm guessing that's why she wears that outfit, with the jacket and the weird goggles thing on her head? It makes her look like she's a pilot or an engineer or something, it took me a couple episodes to fully internalize that she was an actual general with like, authority and everything.

She was introduced in Star Wars Rebels which this is a direct sequel to (Sabine and Chopper are from the same series and Ahsoka was first introduced in Clone Wars), she’s a pilot

Connections to the current series aside Rebels is actually a pretty decent show in its own right (the beginning’s a bit slow though)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Sep 6, 2023

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Darko posted:

Have you seen Yoda's?

I got the idea they had a set length when you made them. Not like a knob to turn it from short-sword to 30 foot room chopper

Snowmanatee
Jun 6, 2003

Stereoscopic Suffocation!

CornHolio posted:

I sense a certain amount of conflict in both Baylan and Shin... like they're bad guys but not Sith, and I'm expecting one or both of them to turn out to be 'good guys at heart but forced to do bad things' for whatever reason. I don't think we know their true motivation yet and I'm expecting that to be an upcoming twist.

When Baylan started talking about a greater purpose, I immediately thought [no longer canon EU stuff] "okay so he's the one scheming to prepare for an extra-galactic invasion from Yuuzhan Vong". I really hope they go somewhere more interesting than that though.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Phenotype posted:

There's also the complication that the rank of General in the Rebellion is shown to still be a frontline position a lot of the time, so yes she's both, but maybe like Han Solo or Lando are also generals with authority?

Snowmanatee posted:

When Baylan started talking about a greater purpose, I immediately thought [no longer canon EU stuff] "okay so he's the one scheming to prepare for an extra-galactic invasion from Yuuzhan Vong". I really hope they go somewhere more interesting than that though.

I didn't get that at all. With his whole thing about losing faith, and him criticising Ahsoka for choosing confrontation, I figured he's got a plans for a new force philosophy.

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Sep 6, 2023

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Snowmanatee posted:

I'd say he's talking about Thrawn uniting the galaxy and Making the Galaxy Great Again.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Neither of these are new observations but a) the planet seems like it's maybe inspired by infrared photography and b) Ahsoka and Sabine are insanely gay I'm not reading too much into this right?

Snowmanatee posted:

I would feel comfortable betting a five-figure sum that the Yuuzhan Vong will not appear in a Disney live-action show, and a four-figure sum that the words will never be uttered beyond a passing reference.

HootTheOwl posted:

I got the idea they had a set length when you made them. Not like a knob to turn it from short-sword to 30 foot room chopper

IIRC this is how Corran Horn's lightsaber worked in Legends, it had a knob that could extend the blade out to like two meters but the blade was prone to shorting out and easy to break at that length.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I'd say he's talking about Thrawn uniting the galaxy and Making the Galaxy Great Again.

Didn't he say he didn't give a gently caress about Thrawn? He's at most a means to an end, or just an unintended consequence of his actual plan?

HootTheOwl posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuUGrtmjQfY

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Sep 6, 2023

Snowmanatee
Jun 6, 2003

Rochallor posted:

I would feel comfortable betting a five-figure sum that the Yuuzhan Vong will not appear in a Disney live-action show, and a four-figure sum that the words will never be uttered beyond a passing reference.

I agree, but a threat to the galaxy from outside the galaxy that drives the motivations Baylan or Thrawn is very much a possibility. They won't be weird Yuuzhon Vong freaks though.

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Didn't he say he didn't give a gently caress about Thrawn? He's at most a means to an end, or just an unintended consequence of his actual plan?

Yeah, it's been very clear he doesn't give a poo poo about Thrawn, as a leader or whatever. Baylan wants him to start his galactic war, because that serves his purpose of making the galaxy (?) stronger through destruction and conflict. He literally says this.

Snowmanatee fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Sep 6, 2023

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Marsupial Ape posted:

This is absolutely not relevant to tonight’s show, but it makes me upset whenever archaeological sites get destroyed in Star Wars. I’m a TurboNerd about archaeology and history, and even the destruction of fictional irreplaceable cultural monuments upsets me. Jedi Survivor made me break ancient pottery, for gently caress’s sake.

So, yeah, I guess maybe I am complaining about the size of the droid blasts in the first episode.

Never play the Uncharted games, then.

It figuratively literally kills me when they destroy entire hidden cities for a couple trinkets.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Snowmanatee posted:

Baylan wants him to start his galactic war, because that serves his purpose of making the galaxy (?) stronger through destruction and conflict. He literally says this.

I mean he doesn't literally say anything about it making the galaxy stronger. He says the war is an unfortunate evil, but that you must destroy in order to create (Maybe Baylan's a Hegelian).

My guess is Filoni might bring back Kreia's whole, 'The force is oppressive and destructive to all living creatures, destroy the force and stop the threads of fate twisting the galaxy into perpetual conflict.' He already had Kreia make a reprisal as a Sith holocron present at Ahsoka's death and resurrection.

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Sep 6, 2023

Snowmanatee
Jun 6, 2003

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

I mean he doesn't literally say anything about it making the galaxy stronger. He says the war is an unfortunate evil, but that you must destroy in order to create.

You're right I imagined the word "strength" or something like it where he only says "create." Still too early to say what his motivations are (he mentions power for himself and Shin in a previous episode, but unclear what that means) but I hope they're fully explained in this series since it's the only Ray Stevenson we're getting.

And scrubbing through episode 2, I'm now even more confused about Marrok.

Baylan: Marrok will complete his task.
Morgan: See that he does.

So Marrok is under the command/control of Baylan, not Morgan?? How does that square with him being green witch magic

Snowmanatee fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Sep 6, 2023

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Re: Hera did anybody else think it was insanely hosed up she took her kid with her on this mission?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Someone has to babysit chopper.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs

Jerusalem posted:

Re: Hera did anybody else think it was insanely hosed up she took her kid with her on this mission?

Somehow I doubt Ahsoka is going to be the show that kills a named child character.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

In this episode in particular I have been getting a lot of ‘Heir to the Empire’ vibes. Not just because the show name drops that line, but also the Thrawn thing, and how Thrawn has a former Jedi working for him

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
It’s kind of a bummer how we went from the Empire to the wet fart of the First Order when something interesting could have popped up with thrawn instead.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

Yeah, it's extremely stupid cartoon poo poo they made no effort whatsoever to justify. That said I'm willing to let it slide a bit for now, I'm somewhat sympathetic to whoever said last night the show finally kinda reached the point of dumb as hell in an entertaining way

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Phenotype posted:

It's wild that she wears goggles at all times when she's a dang spaceship captain. Even when flying in sunny conditions, she doesn't even use them as shades.

CornHolio posted:

It's not conveyed very well, as with everything else, but the character has pretty much just bluntly stated that the Republic was poo poo, the Empire was poo poo, and the New Republic is even more poo poo. His goal is purely to destroy the New Republic, but also to eventually take out the remaining Imperials so that the galaxy might finally be liberated from this nonsense.

This is pretty much Smaller Dooku's motivation in the prequels, except with the difference being that Smaller Dooku was an orthodox Jedi who sought Jedi rule over the Republic. Bigger Dooku has rejected the Jedi and talks of bringing about something new, implying a revolutionary motivation. This ultimately brings him more in line with the Snokism-Vaderism of the young Ben Solo.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

zelah posted:

It’s kind of a bummer how we went from the Empire to the wet fart of the First Order when something interesting could have popped up with thrawn instead.

Don't forget the Final Order, which in no way sounds like something a 12 year old would come up with when trying to one up his friend's idea of what he'd think is cool

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Sash! posted:

Don't forget the Final Order, which in no way sounds like something a 12 year old would come up with when trying to one up his friend's idea of what he'd think is cool
I would really like them to just retcon that whole movie

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
If the outside galaxy they travel to is ours and they fight the avengers I’m never watching tv again.

LinkesAuge
Sep 7, 2011

koolkal posted:

Somehow I doubt Ahsoka is going to be the show that kills a named child character.

That's the meta excuse but it was still so weird and totally out of place. Also HUGE cringe at the kids "i have a bad feeling about this". That isn't "cute" or a clever reference, it's wanking yourself off and the kind of hack writing that's just annoying and even takes you out of the moment with all this meta self-referencing.

Another thing regarding the whole fight sequence/the lead up to it:

So Ahsoka and Sabine are on the ship chilling and doing nothing while their Droid repairs the ship. At this point they have zero(!) urgency to rush anywhere. There is no indication of them suddenly having to stop the antagonists.

Then the Droid gets attacked and suddenly for some reason they decide they are on a timer and act accordingly. Where did that come from? Why did the attack of the bad droids suddenly mean that they know they are on a timer in regards to the map? Nothing really changed.

Then the fight... to start off: Why couldn't Ahsoka take a few seconds or a minute to take out Shin instead of leaving her barely trained friend with her?

I also didn't understand why Ahsoka dueled the other guy instead of her, aren't we supposed to think that Shin is the bigger threat of the two? Why did they even split up in that fight? I know why the show wanted to force them into two 1v1s but there was no reason given on screen.

Besides that the fight was another case of where a "good guy" survives far longer than they should because "plot armor" or are we really supposed to think Sabine would last this long vs Shin (they even show later on how easily Shin could just use her force powers to shoke her, inconstent use of force powers and "power levels" in SW isn't new but does it really need to be this bad?).
I even think that it took Ahsoka far too long to beat her opponent if you consider the standard in regards to her power that has been established in the past and funnily enough the end of that fight perfectly showed why it should have been ended quickly. So despite the ticking time and Ahsoka not taking a single second to quickly help Sabine she is dragging out the fight or not taking it seriously enough to get rid off him fast.
It's another case of where the writing and the context go against what they want to have as "cool action" sequence so they ignore what their own story demands.

At least the fight between Ahsoka and Baylan was overall well done AND they did find a good reason/excuse for Ahsoka to lose the fight, ie she had to rush for the macguffin and that resulted in an injury which massively hampered her ability to fight. So all good there, I just wish the whole leadup to that would have made a lot more sense.
The resolution was of course very tropey in regards to how it played out with Sabine, Baylan and Shin but at this point that's still better than a lot of the other writing.

Overall this was still the best episode so far despite my complaints which just highlight that this show could be much better than it is and a big reason why this episode worked is mainly down to things happening and the promise it holds for the next eps.

FlamingLiberal posted:

I would really like them to just retcon that whole movie

Well, Ahsoka (Feloni) could always use the whole"Jedi heaven/time travel dimension" thing as excuse to retcon the "future" but I don't think they will go that far though I also wish they would because all the new movies just wasted any potential for that timeframe.

LinkesAuge fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Sep 6, 2023

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Did Ahsoka forget that she had two lightsabers for that last fight

badjohny
Oct 6, 2005

FlamingLiberal posted:

Did Ahsoka forget that she had two lightsabers for that last fight

I think she used one because she was trying to grab the orb throughout the fight with her other hand. They showed her reach for it a few times.

Now the fight before with the helicopter lightsaber...no idea why she only used one.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I'm aware this is just trying to read a character out of bad lazy writing, but you can see hera bringing the stupid kid along as of a piece with her proto-fascist sentiments in episode 3. Good to get her kid some combat experience so he can finally have some worth as a person

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Because whoever choreographed the fights wanted her to be a cool Space Samurai. And it was cool.

Also Space Knight Baylan’s bear-strength blows were crushing through her one handed blocks once she burned her palm so that could be why she was two double gripping a single sword.

I’m glad I can just sit back and enjoy a fun Star War instead of nitpicking every little thing like some of you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

General Dog posted:

Did they digitally de-age Hayden? He looks weird. He’s a ghost or something anyway, just let him be 40.

One of the few wise decisions made with Obi-Wan was not going the de-aging route with him in those flashback scenes.

While I'm less sensitive to digital de-aging and resurrecting as others (I mean purely from visual effectiveness standpoint, nothing to say about ethics), any weirdness to how Anakin looked in the WBW I attributed to what made Ahsoka look a tad weird in that scene as well: Unnatural lighting.

Lex Neville posted:

darth oneliner

More like Darth Oneworder, I love it. Definitely Doookuu.

HootTheOwl posted:

I like it too, but it doesn't fit imo.
Ashoka has two swords. That should give her an advantage. Unless she's carrying the second sword because she watches too many anime holovids and wants to tell opponents she's fighting at a disadvantage she should always be using the two swords.
The only reason she isn't is because Rosario Dawson and Ray Stevenson are simply too old to pull off the choreography.
Ok, I will also accept Filloni is dumb.

... Did you see the size of Baylan and his sabre? And how much Ahsoka struggled with his blows? Don't think Filoni is being dumb here...

Phenotype posted:

I find it interesting that people keep getting hung up on Hera being both a pilot and a general in the republic, as if that's something new in live-action Star Wars, or war fiction in general.