Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

I bought that grx ripley in may for 3500 :negative:

the dropper on the grx build is trash and had to be rma’d immediately

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

drat that's a smoking deal (carbon ripley slx).

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Sep 6, 2023

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Probably the last question

Ibis website says I should get a large but the internets say a medium will also work and be more playful.

I’m 5’10” with a 32” inseam and average arms. I emailed N1 to see what they thought

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

I’m 5’11 and ride the L. it feels great except for pedaling feels like i’m slightly too far over the bottom bracket and can’t get the saddle back far enough. it’s more awkward than uncomfortable

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
rode bikes today https://youtu.be/qOy5UDj82II?si=JkLjukQn_2zI8uLK

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

I’m 5’11 and ride the L. it feels great except for pedaling feels like i’m slightly too far over the bottom bracket and can’t get the saddle back far enough. it’s more awkward than uncomfortable

I found a medium in town I am going to go sit on it and see what I think.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Ropes4u posted:

Probably the last question

Ibis website says I should get a large but the internets say a medium will also work and be more playful.

I’m 5’10” with a 32” inseam and average arms. I emailed N1 to see what they thought

I’m about the same and got a large because when I climbed on top of the fucker for a test ride it seemed like it was made for me

e: assuming your dropper doesn’t immediately disintegrate like at the top of the page, you can make it feel a lot better by getting a nicer dropper lever. Wolf tooth or whatever.

Clark Nova fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Sep 6, 2023

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Good reminder that I need to go ride that before it snows!

That was the from the very top?

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Can someone explain to me what a "nice dropper lever is"? I have only had the dropper lever from bontrager that came in my trek. I push and the seat goes up and down... What am I missing?

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Yeah we did the whole thing but video picks up part way in (after the little climb that comes after the initial descent)

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

spwrozek posted:

Can someone explain to me what a "nice dropper lever is"? I have only had the dropper lever from bontrager that came in my trek. I push and the seat goes up and down... What am I missing?

Sounds like a nice lever to me

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

The real question is did you make it all the way up the road without stopping. Or I guess is the climbing trail done?

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

spwrozek posted:

Ergonomics mostly. A good lever should be easy to press without taking your hand off the brakes and should feel crisp and reliable instead of mushy and inconsistent. If it isn't annoying you, you don't need a new one

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Clark Nova posted:

I’m about the same and got a large because when I climbed on top of the fucker for a test ride it seemed like it was made for me

e: assuming your dropper doesn’t immediately disintegrate like at the top of the page, you can make it feel a lot better by getting a nicer dropper lever. Wolf tooth or whatever.

N1 bikes confirmed I would need a large. The person I talked to is the same size and said the V4 is a smaller large and that the medium would be cramped.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

spwrozek posted:

I've had that one, a brand x and a pnw. The brand x felt like cheap thin plastic, the others were fine. As long as it has a barrel adjuster and something to grip my thumb, that's enough IMO.

Speaking of which I forgot my gloves on a 90 degree day, and I could barely grip anything from being a sweaty hambeast. I do not recommend it. Thankfully I didn't superman into the dirt.

I'm taking off from riding until after I get a procedure (RFA ablation) done on some discs in my neck next month. Riding always causes pain and it sucks. It really bums me out and kills motivation to ride. Sometimes it's not bad, other times it's like 8/10 on my pain scale. Hopefully this helps or I may have to find something else to do. :smith: I already gave up running for other health reasons.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy

spwrozek posted:

Look at this beautiful anodizing.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

spwrozek posted:

I have a wolftooth or w/e lever and the biggest difference or rather way of explaining the benefit is that you don't even have to move your hand on the bar to use it. My old specialized lever was horrible and you basically had to consciously move your arm and hand to use it, it sucked.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

I guess mine is good as it tucks up close so I don't move my hand. And it works.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

spwrozek posted:

The real question is did you make it all the way up the road without stopping. Or I guess is the climbing trail done?

that road is rear end, it’s faster to just walk up it

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

It’d be fine if it wasn’t at 11-12k feet…

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Levitate posted:

It’d be fine if it wasn’t at 11-12k feet…

:hmmyes:

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

e.pilot posted:

🤔

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

e.pilot posted:

I doubt it, I ride past pushers every time.

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011
Why is the road so popular with drug dealers?

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

WHERE MY HAT IS AT posted:

Why is the road so popular with drug dealers?

Everybody on it is high af.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

It sounds like the climbing trail will be done this week though so you will never have to ride the road again.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

spwrozek posted:

It sounds like the climbing trail will be done this week though so you will never have to ride the road again.

Good that my last time was a decent rep then. I wont miss it but it is a fun challenge

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Probably more interesting than the road but can’t imagine it’s going to not still suck

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Levitate posted:

Probably more interesting than the road but can’t imagine it’s going to not still suck

If it’s like the bottom half I’m here for it, that’s just the right amount of annoying.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Selling my Rocky Mountain Thunderbolt C50 if anyone is looking for a deal in Colorado.

Ordered the Ripley Carbon XT

lavaca
Jun 11, 2010
Looking for fat bike advice now that I've finally been conned into moving to Alaska full-time.

Usage: Mostly snow-covered groomed trails and singletrack around Anchorage plus the obligatory glacier rides like Knik and Spencer when the days get longer. No racing or doing barrel rolls down a mountain. Summer plans TBD.
Budget: Less than $2,500 unless there's a really good reason to spend more.

The convenient LBS options seem to be Trek Farley, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Salsa Mukluk/Heyday, and Otso Arcdotus (otherwise there's Borealis, Corvus, 9:ZERO:7 and Norco if I want to go to the other side of town). They all seem pretty similar, right down to all being offered in mint green/light blue. Are there any real distinguishing features I should worry about at this price range?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
You want the biggest width tire you can get. Ime, the listed widths can be up to half an inch narrower irl, depending on run width. Carbon bars for warmth, though that's easy enough aftermarket. Mineral oil brakes get sluggish at very cold temps, while DOT is good for temps you'd be ok biking in.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

After a summer where I have been really lazy I finally got out on the bike for a decent ride. On the way back I came across someones old freeride stunt. Not sure how old it is but it looks pretty sketchy. I'd guess around 15-20ft vertically from the takeoff to the start of the landing which is blown out and fairly goalposty. I'd love to see someone do it but it sure as hell won't be me.

The trails are so dusty right now I'm looking forward to some rain.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

:stare: that thing is massive

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
looks sturdy enough to hold an entire family of squirrels

Nohearum
Nov 2, 2013

"How to die in one easy step"

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

mashed posted:

After a summer where I have been really lazy I finally got out on the bike for a decent ride. On the way back I came across someones old freeride stunt. Not sure how old it is but it looks pretty sketchy. I'd guess around 15-20ft vertically from the takeoff to the start of the landing which is blown out and fairly goalposty. I'd love to see someone do it but it sure as hell won't be me.

The trails are so dusty right now I'm looking forward to some rain.

When I was 14-15 years old we used to build this kind of thing all the time and 50% of the time nobody would even ride it, I should really go back to the old spots to see if I can find some remnants. The early VHS shore videos really hit us hard and we were too young to drive 40 min to the actual north shore so we tried to build it ourselves. Mostly we just found people's little weed grows in the forest.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Not just no but gently caress no. Love that the landing curves *up* too, for maximum impact.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

evil_bunnY posted:

Not just no but gently caress no. Love that the landing curves *up* too, for maximum impact.

Landing actually looks like it might be that lighter color dirt that’s still headed downhill, so you’re tapping the trail below

I’d still sure as hell not send it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

evil_bunnY posted:

I found a photo from the top of it on trailforks. The landing is steep and very downhill. Still sketchy as gently caress.